• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnivNintendo: Monster Hunter 6 is coming out for the Nintendo Switch 2

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to the guy owner of the website that leaked the previous Nintendo Direct (among other stuff)

Monster hunter 6 is coming out on Nintendo Switch (he calls it Nintendo Switch NG)

AvY1TuT.png

Comandr

I feared this is why Capcom has been so mum about the game. I have an ugly feeling it will be revealed with switch 2.

Edit: thinking about it more, the only thing that would make me question this is that if mainline MH6 is coming to Switch 2 and we have essentially one game across all platforms -

WTF is Ichinose’s team- that is- the MH Portable team doing? Unless they are just assisting with development.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I think it's smart for Nintendo to have advertising rights to the game, but have it release on all systems and PC. If Sony can have ad rights to multiplatform games, why not everyone else?

Fabieter

It got confirmed that we will get alot of multiplatform stuff getting a switch 2 announcement so it was kinda expected I think.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Why would it be on MT Engine? Monster Hunter Rise was on RE Engine, even on the Switch.
You know, I'm thinking MH Rise was also a benchmark for Capcom to test a Monster Hunter game on the RE Engine.

They'll probably use that knowledge and go all out on the next Monster Hunter game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have source claiming there will also be a Pokemon game there, alongside a Mario game and eventually a Zelda game. Believe!

Edit: on a more serious note, I srsly wouldn't expect it otherwise, MH is basically a Nintendo game for most fans in Japan

Last edited:

Kerotan

Being portable is important to the franchise.
Monster hunter world proved home consoles and PC market is bigger for the series.

Although the portable market is still huge for it so it should always be on both. It would be sad if they made an equal version of MH6 or world 2 on the next Gen switch.

We don't want it held back by weak portables. If switch 2 is the base version there better be a 120fps VRR version on ps5 or ps5 pro.

Being portable is important to the franchise.
If you are serious, please elaborate. Playing it on PS4 was the first time I actually enjoyed it and milked the game for all it was worth. I was so deep into it, that nothing was left for me when the ice expansion was finally released.

bender

What time is it?
If you are serious, please elaborate. Playing it on PS4 was the first time I actually enjoyed it and milked the game for all it was worth. I was so deep into it, that nothing was left for me when the ice expansion was finally released.

Important doesn't mean only, Johnny-come-lately.

Kilau

Switch NG should be powerful enough to hopefully not hamper the visuals like with Rise especially if DLSS is heavy leveraged on the system. I'm sure Nintendo would love exclusivity, but I doubt Capcom would go for that after expanding the franchise so much lately and new Switch won't have near the install base as PS5, PC and Series.

I want to hope Capcom will be smarter than that (and also Sony would probably pay more than Nintendo anyway).

Nintendo may be willing to pay more so that they have early momentum with switch, especially if they feel their overall lineup may not be as strong as they’d like

I don’t think marketing agreements matter all that much tbh

LakeOf9

Nintendo may be willing to pay more so that they have early momentum with switch, especially if they feel their overall lineup may not be as strong as they’d like

Nintendo can launch the Switch with Mario and Pokemon (or any number of their other internal franchises) and be assured. Sony on the other hand needs Monster Hunter, because if Monster Hunter is associated with Switch, then PS5 loses its last ace in Japan.

I think even if MH6 hits Switch 2 it will be marketed for PS5.

Comandr

I think Switch 2’s launch window will be fine. We are potentially looking at 3D Mario, Mario Kart 9, Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong, BOTW/TOTK remasters… they are going to be fine.

Let’s say that Nintendo sells 3 million switches per month. I think that’s an achievable, aggressive number. And even 1 out of every 10 people buy the switch 2 exclusive MH6 - which I also think is a generous estimation...

That’s only potentially 300,000 sales per month. At a year, the game will have only sold like 3.6 million copies making it one of the slowest selling MH games in history.

Nah. Don’t make sense to be exclusive.

Edited for maths:

January 2022, MHR came to PC. In the 9 months it was exclusive to switch, it sold 8 million copies. This was against a Switch install base of 104 million. That means 7.69% of Switch owners bothered to purchase MHR in that time frame. Assuming we maintain the same level of interest, that lowers our sales projections of MH6 to roughly 2.8 million copies in a year's time. I would argue this number could be even lower when you factor in competing sales of potential all star launch titles. People only have so much money after all.

When MHR released in March of 21, it basically had no competition. Mario 3D world came out Jan 12, Bravely Default 2 Feb 26, MHR exactly a month later on March 26th, followed by New Pokemon Snap April 30th, and the next biggest new game was Mario Golf on June 25th. So there was basically a full month where MHR was the biggest release and had essentially no competition for hungry Switch owners, and still only 7.69% bothered.

Let's do some contrasting. As of currently, Xbox has sold 21m units, PS5 40m, and let's just say for shits and giggles there are 100m capable PCs out there. That's 161 million potential customers that Capcom is ignoring if they sign an exclusivity deal with Nintendo. Let's use the same figure we did for MHR and say that only 7.69% of those people are interested in MH6. That would put our potential day one sales at .... Almost 12.4 million. That's a hell of a lot more than Switch 2's exclusive 2.8 million.

So now it's 12.4 million multiplat or 2.8 million switch 2 exclusive. We have roughly a 10 million sale deficit. If the game sells for $70, since Capcom's president thinks games are too cheap, and even HALF of that is going back to Capcom, that's $35,000,000 they potentially missed out on by signing a year's exclusivity deal.

And let's face it. Switch isn't the only way to play games portably anymore. We live in a post steam deck world. And we have cell phones. laughs in iphone 15 pro

Last edited:

GymWolf

Jesus capcom, don't shat the fucking bed for once.

Make one for pc and big console then you can release rise 2 or whatever the fuck you want for people who like to hunt while taking a dump.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Let's hope they don't dumb down the tech and maps like Rise so it works for everything. Make something ambitious first and then port it to the ouya or switch2 or whatever.

Fake

Well, if the rumors about NS being base PS4 with 4k output and DLSS are true its quite possible.

Gojiira

Well, if the rumors about NS being base PS4 with 4k output and DLSS are true its quite possible.
I cant believe people see this as a positive tbh. The Mainline series is where they typically make the large leaps forward, they arent going to if they’re held back by last gen hardware.
MH6 should be made with PS5/PC being at the forefront. World showed they wanted more complex animal behaviour, world design and I want 6 to expand on that further. A prettier World 2 is fine but not exactly ambitious and if its more like ‘Rise 2’ lol it can fuck right off.
Thankfully World sold more than any other entry so its highly unlikely 6 will be developed primarily for Switch 2.

Fake

I cant believe people see this as a positive tbh. The Mainline series is where they typically make the large leaps forward, they arent going to if they’re held back by last gen hardware.
MH6 should be made with PS5/PC being at the forefront. World showed they wanted more complex animal behaviour, world design and I want 6 to expand on that further. A prettier World 2 is fine but not exactly ambitious and if its more like ‘Rise 2’ lol it can fuck right off.
Thankfully World sold more than any other entry so its highly unlikely 6 will be developed primarily for Switch 2.

Not my fault. Remember 'we believe in generations'? So, there are games that was suppouse to be release on next gen only and are getting last gen version. So, if even Jedi Survivor is getting a base PS4 version, I can't see why NS2 can do as well.

On the other hand, base PS4 is doing fine, if he stay at 1080p30 or dynamic 1080p. Nintendo can do the same and beyond. Staying at 1080p territory and at the same time improving resolution via DLSS.

I never see that as negative. Devs those days are ask so much of power, but they never used. They got soft asking consumers to powerhouse their game. Most of them don't optmize their game.

With a Nintendo console using base PS4 or better specs with 4k output signal and DLSS, I can only expect the best of the Nintendo first party.

Top Bottom