• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bunch of people suspiciously gone missing

#teamOllySaves
munchie64
phaonaut
Blatz
PhoenixDark
hammertomb
hoos30
Brakke
Dysun
Kain
Kyougar
Woody Invincible
schlongdog
kris.

O2p0kzy.png

News Bot

Banned
Seriously in love with Carice Von Houten by the way. The last two weeks just...ennh. She's even my cell phone wallpaper.

Didn't GRRM actually write an episode where Mel encountered the Brotherhood Without Banners, met Thoros and discovered his ability to resurrect?

I don't think she sees shit.

She's probably just a pawn that the LoL uses to do some shit.

"I see Boltan banners burning", which could easily mean

1) Stannis wins!
2) Stannis loses, Boltons embrace LoL!

She's a fucking fake, just like those people who talk to the dead, say general shit and you're always right!

Her visions aren't exactly timestamped or intricate. Bolton banners will burn, when, where and how is unknown. She just assumed Stannis would fuck them up. Then realized she was wrong when he simply didn't have the numbers and returned to the Wall where her last hope resided.

bengraven

I don't read books, but I'm pretty curious what the book readers thought.

Jon's parents could easily be the biggest red herrings of GoT. Everyone was focusing on his parents, thinking of the bigger picture of the White Walkers completely forgetting how vulnerable he was as people started to tell him directly in his face "You're on thin fucking ice, you're going to get us killed".

Davos is at Castle Black, he might be the one who takes the PoV of The Wall.

Either way, Jon's death wasn't all that shocking, it's not like any of the Nights Watch men who went over the wall with him were stabbing him, it was everyone who are blinded by hate and can't see the bigger picture, the inverse of Jon who kept on forgetting that most people aren't getting the big picture.

Jon really went out like Ned, too faithful and trustworthy that people will do the right thing in the face of the greater good.

First off, I like how you Unsullied were half "he ain't dead" like those of us who read the books.

Second, you would think from a storyteller's perspective, though, that when you parallel a story you do something differently in the second. The second person, usually, learns from the first. You don't repeat a story. If Jon paralleled Ned directly to the death, that doesn't really add to the story. It only says "I'm repeating my story". Characters never do something twice in a book - especially 5/7 of the way through a story.

So if he's dead, again from a storytelling perspective, there has to be something he did differently than Ned - something bigger for a second sacrifice.

Does this make sense?

Didn't GRRM actually write an episode where Mel encountered the Brotherhood Without Banners, met Thoros and discovered his ability to resurrect?

Exactly. She was like "oh you mastered Raising Dead? I've tried that technique before, but never quite mastered it." Foreshadowing? According to DnD, no.

LordCanti

Does anyone else think Melisandre might have actually foresaw all of this from the beginning? Does she actually have that much power?

I think she sees things and interprets what she sees correctly maybe half the time. I think she realized she was wrong about Stannis at the final minute and bolted the fuck out of there before she was hung for what happened (the mass desertion/his wife).

I don't read books, but I'm pretty curious what the book readers thought.

Jon's parents could easily be the biggest red herrings of GoT. Everyone was focusing on his parents, thinking of the bigger picture of the White Walkers completely forgetting how vulnerable he was as people started to tell him directly in his face "You're on thin fucking ice, you're going to get us killed".

Davos is at Castle Black, he might be the one who takes the PoV of The Wall.

Either way, Jon's death wasn't all that shocking, it's not like any of the Nights Watch men who went over the wall with him were stabbing him, it was everyone who are blinded by hate and can't see the bigger picture, the inverse of Jon who kept on forgetting that most people aren't getting the big picture.

Jon really went out like Ned, too faithful and trustworthy that people will do the right thing in the face of the greater good.
And this is why the show ruined Jon :(

In the books Jon's brother's betray him because he actually does a ton of wrong things. The stuff he does with the wildlings is great, and even though some of his brothers are nervous or pissed they're fine with it and begin to coexist with the wildlings. That's not why Jon is killed.

Jon is killed because he makes quite a few open acts of war against the Boltons and the Iron Throne, and is insistent on sending men they don't have on suicide missions, which weakens the wall. Jon is already putting the wall (and all of humanity) in danger because of the latter, and the Watch is surely doomed if Stannis doesn't pull through because of the former, which Jon assumes he will. When it seems he won't, his brothers kill him in a last ditch attempt to save the watch from poor leadership which is actually poor leadership.

They cut all that in the show though, so now he's just another Ned who puched ice Voldemort. Racism is bad!

1) Stannis wins!

She's a fucking fake, just like those people who talk to the dead, say general shit and you're always right!
I highly doubt the lord of light is real, or at least not a sentient being haha.

Really bad cliffhanger to end a show on. With the book there was more than enough stuff there to assure folks that Jon will come back in some form or fashion. The prologue, Melisandre's comments, Jon's last words mirroring Robb's, etc. Hell even the direwolf's name (Ghost).

The show didn't do any of this stuff. In fact so far Bran is the only Stark who has shown an ability to warg. It's going to be literally impossible for the show to hide the fact that Kitt Harrington will be in Belfast this year and next year. Hell, there was a post on Reddit today about someone seeing him there. When your story is being spoiled by shit like that you're making a mistake.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The only thing she said to Stannis was she saw the Bolton flags burning. Jon could do that.

And now that I'm done, WTF with that ending. There was no reason for them to betray Jon. Alistair opened the gate for him, and Jon didn't do anything after that. There was zero reason for it.

1) Stannis wins!

Maybe, I don't know what to believe anymore. She obviously knows something was up as she knew to get back to the wall when she could have gone anywhere else. But yeah most likely the LoL messing with her, which begs the question are we ever going to see the LoL?

OK, so Jon is obviously going to be resurrected by Melisandre. I always thought the Jon warning into Ghost theory was stupid.

- Shireen's burning didn't grant Stannis a favor. Instead it will be used to resurrect Jon, who we already know Melisandre had an interest in.
- Melisandre just so happens to make it back to the wall right before it happens. Jon will be resurrected in the final scene of S6E01

All of this relates back to Stannis.
- I am going to assume Stannis isn't dead. They didn't show him die on screen. There was no reason NOT to show it unless it's specifically because Stannis doesn't die.
- Where is the one place Stannis has left to go? No family and his only friend is at the wall. He will go to the wall.
- Having finally accepted his defeat he will be the man to replace Jon as Lord Commander and get the watch back on track. There's no better man to do it. He's iron willed, understands the threat of the White Walkers (as displayed by his conversation with Sam) and a proven military commander. He's the only man who could turn the watch back into something respectable.

I really like this post. Thats why it won't happen.

suzu

Since they haven't shown any warg ability in Jon, maybe he will just be straight up ressed like Beric. Or maybe by the Night King.. maybe he'll be like Coldhands. :p

Tabris

That was the greatest Game of Thrones episode of all time so far.

It was done perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to read the thread so far, are the rest of the book readers on the same page as me?

bengraven

Well they're supposed to filming S6 like right now, aren't they? We should know soon enough, it would be kind of dumb to lie that brazenly though. If Jon is dead here and in the books I'm done with this entire fucking franchise.

They're in production, not filming. They will be filming shortly.

Vestal

Gold Member
Heres a theory as to why "kill" him and resurrect him. It gives him an out of the Nights Watch.. He already has given his life for the Watch, and now is free to go south to Winterfell.

Just a theory.

LordCanti

The only thing she said to Stannis was she saw the Bolton flags burning. Jon could do that.

And now that I'm done, WTF with that ending. There was no reason for them to betray Jon. Alistair opened the gate for him, and Jon didn't do anything after that. There was zero reason for it.

That's a good point; Why let them through the wall at all? Was him sending his friend and his friends lady/baby to safety in Old Town the final straw? If so that wasn't conveyed.

I instantly remembered GAF when they cut to that part showing Ramsay massacring Stannis' army lol

At least it was him and like 10,000 good men this time.

Really bad cliffhanger to end a show on. With the book there was more than enough stuff there to assure folks that Jon will come back in some form or fashion. The prologue, Melisandre's comments, Jon's last words mirroring Robb's, etc. Hell even the direwolf's name (Ghost).

The show didn't do any of this stuff. In fact so far Bran is the only Stark who has shown an ability to warg. It's going to be literally impossible for the show to hide the fact that Kitt Harrington will be in Belfast this year and next year. Hell, there was a post on Reddit today about someone seeing him there. When your story is being spoiled by shit like that you're making a mistake.

How is it a cliffhanger? It wasn't presented that way at all. It's only one to you because you've read the books and look for discussion about the show on the internet.

It was done perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to read the thread so far, are the rest of the book readers on the same page as me?

I really liked it but I've liked pretty much every episode. Can't wait to watch next season.

It was done perfectly.

It's like they had someone right the last episode without telling them what happened before.

"Jon can come in through the wall, but we'll kill him after the wildlings come through!"
"Brienne can survive weeks in a blizzard with just Pod, why not?"
"Dany is really upset she had to leave her city, even though she didn't have to leave her city"
"Roose said not to lead an army outside Winterfell because it's a stupid gamble. But whatever, let's do it anyway this week."

Like, nothing made sense. At all. Even in the logic of the show!

I just hope that GRRM has stuck to his original plan for this story. It'd be pretty bad on the fans if he changed the story due to them (potentially) figuring it out. I guess we'll find out next year, or even pretty soon if Jon stays dead. I really hope he isn't.

munchie64

It was done perfectly.

Hahaha.
At least you give me hope (won't be able to watch for a while)

Edit: SHIT you're joking aren't you?

bengraven

If Stannis isn't dead
he's actually dead - I believe David in this case
, then maybe Brienne is marching him to the Wall to join the NW. Wouldn't make sense as to what she's cutting.

NSESN

reflecting now, i think it should be better if they made two seasons of books 4 and 5, a lot of plotlines were rushed, and others deleted

Tabris

I am pretty sure the Bolton army was reinforced by Little Finger's Eyrie forces. That's where a lot of the horses came from. Did nobody else get that?

That'll be the surprise in Season 6 and then Little Finger makes plays to take out the Boltons.

I am pretty sure the Bolton army was reinforced by Little Finger's Eyrie forces. That's where a lot of the horses came from. Did nobody else get that?
Is that supposed to make it less stupid? Are the Eyrie forces immune to blizzards? Why did Stannis have so much trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom