• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure the Bolton army was reinforced by Little Finger's Eyrie forces. That's where a lot of the horses came from. Did nobody else get that?

Damn I didn't even think of that. Would make sense. Wonder if any of those sell swords defected to Boltons?

They didn't explain it and I doubt they are going to.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
pIXK8HS.gif

Speevy

Banned
I thought the episode was pretty good. It wasn't great, but they didn't really fuck anything up or mess with anyone's characterizations.

graffix13

Mel showing up at the end was just D&D trolling for the second time in the episode (first being the Benjen tease on the recap).

It's like telling a good story isn't really important to them. They would rather string you along and then throw you a curve and get you to say "I didn't see that coming". The ol' bait and switch.

#Teamjonispermadead

LordCanti

I am pretty sure the Bolton army was reinforced by Little Finger's Eyrie forces. That's where a lot of the horses came from. Did nobody else get that?

That'll be the surprise in Season 6 and then Little Finger makes plays to take out the Boltons.

I assumed those were Mannis's horses and that the sellswords had gotten themselves a quick payday from the Boltons.

Edit: Beaten like Stannis

I'm curious of the books.

Now that, for the most part, things are pretty parallel progress wise, I'm gonna go amazon the books and have something to read for the summer.

At this point White Walkers need to fucking kill everyone, this world ain't worth saving.

the winterfell battle was laughably poor.

I know they have a limited budget but that rushed as fuck. They literally wrapped up Stannis' entire plot in about 15 minutes over 2 weeks.

Szeth

Loved the episode honestly. Glad to see the outrage and hyperbole reached a new level tonight.

As for Stannis, his last words were "do your duty" and Brienne's duty isn't to kill him, but to save Sansa. Couple that with the fact they cut away, no way he's dead, it didn't even cross my mind until I read the internet.

Also really hope Jon isn't dead for real. He shot up to my favourite character this season. D&D and Kit saying he's gone could be because they have to but there's still that doubt there, as we just don't know. Already hate being in the dark. Please tWoW christmas release grrm

Tabris

I am not joking. I obviously loved that episode. I got choked up in three different scenes.

The pain on Stannis' face the entire time after Shireen, Jamie + Mycerella, and the Jon scene.

Patriots7

I don't care how much snow there (didn't even look like much) but Sansa better be fucking dead. There's no conceivable way they could have survived that.

Leeness

What was the ring Dany dropped in her last scene?

Lol at the entire Khalasar sneaking up on her.

Anyway. Really enjoying this episode. I thought this season was a good adaptation of most of AFFC and ADWD. Well...didn't like the Sansa stuff because I want Queen Sansa, but that's just one thing :(

How is it a cliffhanger? It wasn't presented that way at all. It's only one to you because you've read the books and look for discussion about the show on the internet.

Perhaps "cliffhanger" is the wrong word. With respect to production details, we're not the only people who follow that stuff. The minute Kitt shows up on set it'll be on twitter and fan sites.

Red Comet

Just saw that interview with Kit. Either his character truly is dead or else he's simply lying or out of the loop. I find it hard to fathom that he would be out of the loop for something like that since I assume production for S6 must be starting pretty damn soon. And if they were to bring him back, I doubt they'd wait until S7. Especially with Kit taking on movie roles.

He could be lying, but that's pretty brazen (I hope he is though). He even touched on the fact that Jon's true parents hadn't been revealed. And that was hinted at more than once this season. Furthermore, we all know that knowing Jon's true parentage was something that GRRM tested D&D with. Seems like a pointless storyline without Jon.

However, I could totally see Jon living in the books (through Ghost or otherwise), yet being truly dead in the show. None of the show changes really surprise me at this point.

If Jon Snow is really dead this early, without having him do a legit showdown with the White Walkers when that was the entire point of his arc, then truly fuck this story. It is as pointless as it gets.

Deaths for "shock" and nothing else. Killing Jon in that way without ever doing anything isn't good writing. Its just killing character people like to shock them.

Arkeband

Banned

Lol at the entire Khalasar sneaking up on her.

Probably an engagement ring? She might have more leverage as an unwed woman than a wed one, or something.

Dothraki don't give a fuck about that, though, so once again it's a weird D&D contrivance.

Especially with Kit taking on movie roles.

He's already done that, and they've generally bombed hard.

I am not joking. I obviously loved that episode. I got choked up in three different scenes.

The pain on Stannis' face the entire time after Shireen, Jamie + Mycerella, and the Jon scene.
Well, there's no accounting for taste haha. The actors are good, but when you stop to think about what's happening you realize the writing makes no sense and is actually the worst thing you've ever seen.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
lolwut? You know that Stannis has a small army right?

20 good men led to Stannis having a small army. 20 good men led to Stannis murdering his only heir. 20 good men were the reason his sellswords switch sides. 20 good men led to his wife hanging herself. 20 good men led to Melisandre abandoning him. Not that it matters anyway, he's probably still alive.

That was the greatest Game of Thrones episode of all time so far.

It was done perfectly.

I haven't had a chance to read the thread so far, are the rest of the book readers on the same page as me?

...Stick to rooting for the Broncos, Tabris.

Speevy

Banned
Yes they did.

What did they mess up?

Stannis lost the battle because he followed the red woman.

Cersei's walk with fitfully humiliating.

The invented Dornish plot was...well...invented.

Arya butchered ol' Meryn in the most horrible way imaginable.

What is it you didn't like?

I mean yeah, the Battle for Winterfell wasn't really a battle, but it wasn't supposed to be. Stannis lost. Him struggling for a while isn't going to change that.

Am I the only one who thought that would be a terrible idea for Jamie to tell the truth to Myrcella? I mean, don't get her involved in this messed up shit, man.

And lol she says: "I know! It's okay!" lmao

munchie64

I thought the episode was pretty good. It wasn't great, but they didn't really fuck anything up or mess with anyone's characterizations.
Loved the episode honestly. Glad to see the outrage and hyperbole reached a new level tonight.

As for Stannis, his last words were "do your duty" and Brienne's duty isn't to kill him, but to save Sansa. Couple that with the fact they cut away, no way he's dead, it didn't even cross my mind until I read the internet.

Also really hope Jon isn't dead for real. He shot up to my favourite character this season. D&D and Kit saying he's gone could be because they have to but there's still that doubt there, as we just don't know. Already hate being in the dark. Please tWoW christmas release grrm

Hmmm. See you later then folks. E3 has kept me up too long, and I couldn't watch an episode in this state.

Lots of snow makes for a soft landing.

Lots of snow that's likely been half melted and is slushy mess that they'll fall right through until they either hit ground or packed down rock hard snow and ice?

They'd be splatted worse than Myranda. At the very least, they'd break their legs, making for one short escape once Ramsay and his ninja army comes back.

Leeness

Probably an engagement ring? She might have more leverage as an unwed woman than a wed one, or something.

Dothraki don't give a fuck about that, though, so once again it's a weird D&D contrivance.

That was so Jorah could find it and go "Khaleesi's ring!"

I figured it was one of these things.

Wondering if it was a ring from back in her Khal Drogo days or something and it would help them not recognize her or something.

Brakke

Banned
I fucken love you Tabris.

Hyped for this ep! Starting with my crew in about ten minutes.

I don't really mind reading reactions before watching. Y'all focus on the war stuff, never talk about my fave stuff like Ellaria putting moves on Jaime.

Tabris

Well, there's no accounting for taste haha. The actors are good, but when you stop to think about what's happening you realize the writing makes no sense and is actually the worst thing you've ever seen.

I told you guys to temper your expectations after last episode. They only have 60 minutes in an episode and a lot to cover. Let your favourite characterizations from the book go and treat the show as it's own thing.

Red Comet

If Jon Snow is really dead this early, without having him do a legit showdown with the White Walkers when that was the entire point of his arc, then truly fuck this story. It is as pointless as it gets.

Deaths for "shock" and nothing else. Killing Jon in that way without ever doing anything isn't good writing. Its just killing character people like to shock them.

I agree. Doing that with Ned was truly shocking and unique. But doing it to someone who will leave open plot threads is just bad storytelling.

What did they mess up?

I mean yeah, the Battle for Winterfell wasn't really a battle, but it wasn't supposed to be. Stannis lost. Him struggling for a while isn't going to change that.
You're completely ignoring the way these things are told however. The writing is terribly convenient and nonsensical. A few people have pointed out how nothing that happens in this show makes any temporal or logical sense.

It's like looking at the Star Wars prequels and saying "Well it's a prequel to Star Wars! Anakin became Darth Vader and we saw lots of fights. What's not to like?"

I told you guys to temper your expectations after last episode. They only have 60 minutes in an episode and a lot to cover. Let your favourite characterizations from the book go and treat the show as it's own thing.
But what it's doing is nonsensical and uninteresting haha. Like most of the stuff the characters do honestly doesn't make sense within the logic of the show.

Werd

I don't know what ring it was, but the Inside the Episode said it was to leave a trail behind.

Leaving a tiny ring in a field when you were just flown who knows how far away from your previous destination seems like a pretty long shot there. We had Jon as Aragon in Hardhome, next season Daario/Jorah get to.

I really don't think Jon is dead. Well he is dead but he's coming back. Why else would they bring Melisandre back to the Wall?

Who knows, but Kit doesn't give me the impression he's lying saying he isn't coming back, and we would know if he was on set instantly.

I think he's really dead, in which case I'm not interested in this story from either a book or show perspective anymore

News Bot

Banned
What did they mess up?

He lost the battle because Ramsey is D&D's shirtless demi-god and they don't like Stannis, or even know anything about him. His character was completely fucked over, to the point where he is literally the polar opposite of what he is in the books.

Cersei's walk is faithful to the books, no problem there.

It was... well... shit.

Oh yeah, Meryn Trant, the guy who had to suddenly become a pedophile because apparently killing someone close to Arya, beating Sansa, and generally being a cunt wasn't enough to mark him as a bad guy. Utterly gratuitous and sad writing.

The "Battle" for Winterfell was complete ass. Waste of airtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom