• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Gold Member
"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

FEAR THOSE 20 GOOD MEN, STANNIS! FEAR THEM!

So irked that they offed Stannis like that. Fine if you want to kill him but having this guy around for 4 seasons and then just have it all go predictably south for him in the span of about 30 minutes and have Mary Sue Brienne predictably be the one to kill him... meh.

They just pissed all over that character. It was amateur hour in the writer's workshop. Just atrocious storytelling.

Werd

Burning Shireen, execution qualms aside, was desperation by Stannis. If you make that drastic move in to be empowered by a fire god, then the next day find out that half your army has abandoned you, you have no cavalry, your wife has killed herself, and the priestess that wanted the sacrifice has abandoned you... melted snows don't quite balance the scales. That is probably not the mental state to expect military brilliance.

A broken man committing suicide (attempted?) by Bolton.

I like it as his defeat, he sold his soul for a god he never really seemed to believe in and he paid the consequences. Would like to see the Brienne sparing/wall redemption theory afterwards.

And as far as show practicality (which I think a lot of people do not consider enough) goes, they didn't have the budget or time left for a major siege. Weakening his forces allowed for the Bolton's to almost plausibly ride out and end the conflict efficiently. I thought the shot of the large cavalry riding against a poorly formed half running force was an effective way to show the defeat as well.

I agree :)

The point is really made clear when Doran and the Sand Snakes are horrified that Cersei would want Trystane dead ("She'd do that to a child?!") moments after they had been plotting to kill Tommen and Myrcella (a child).

Ellia, who isn't a complete idiot in the books, basically goes "Huh? What are you talking about? None of this makes sense. You have your revenge! Everyone responsible for both Oberyn and Ellia's death is dead, now you're just being a part of a vicious cycle!"

Then Doran says "Mhmm why don't you go to bed Ellia let the grown ups talk. She's right you know (to the Sand Snakes), mercy is the true path. Have you seen my water gardens? But she doesn't understand the way of the world. FIRE AND BLOOD"

Dude's a crazy old codger. That's why the pay off of his fire and blood speech is that his son dies in the most horrible way possible miles from home. Revenge plots lead to nothing but the death of innocents.

This is one of the better breakdowns of this plotline that I have seen.

Cersei's walk and for the watch were brilliantly done.

I really enjoyed the rest of the episode too minus the Dorne shite. Not a bad turn around from episode nine.

I have a feeling, despite the shit that D&D always try to claim, that the entire ending of this thing will be nothing alike between the books and show

RyanDG

I blame this season on the people who continue to repeat this fallacy that book 4 and 5 were 'awful' or 'terrible.' This season is what HBO thinks you wanted instead.

Holy shit was that a bad episode. And all that Benjen excitement over nothing. Also extremely surprised at how Jon's death was handled also, with not even any hints besides Melisandre showing up conveniently.

At least I don't have to have that stupid Olly avatar. D&D - about as subtle as an elephant with that one.

I blame this season on the people who continue to repeat this fallacy that book 4 and 5 were 'awful' or 'terrible.' This season is what HBO thinks you wanted instead.

Right? They're great books (with some weaker parts, like every book in the series has). I don't get how so much discourse now focuses around them being 'terrible.' Because that's not hyperbole or anything.

Gnome

I have a feeling, despite the shit that D&D always try to claim, that the entire ending of this thing will be nothing alike between the books and show

I find the claim dubious as well, as I believe George himself isn't entirely sure how he wants things to end yet.

jett

D-Member
The first scene in season 6 will be Jaime and Bronne watching Myrcella's body being lowered into the sea, then they look at each other, and run to the captain's quarters and shout "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!"

jack-go-back.jpg

This is actually happening, isn't it.

It's totally happening.

Damn it.

Holy shit was that a bad episode. And all that Benjen excitement over nothing. Also extremely surprised at how Jon's death was handled also, with not even any hints besides Melisandre showing up conveniently.

At least I don't have to have that stupid Olly avatar. D&D - about as subtle as an elephant with that one.

Even my wife who knows nothing about the books, told me like 2 episodes ago, "That kid is gonna do something really bad isn't he?"

Yeah it was hella telegraphed

todd360

I'm starting to get that feeling as well. If anyone sits the iron throne at the end of the books, the show will have the same person "win" at the end. Everything else will be completely different with the books being vastly superior in how we got to the outcome.

I find the claim dubious as well, as I believe George himself isn't entirely sure how he wants things to end yet.

It sounds like he has a endgame for all the major characters and the overarching story and D&D will get to that. We just don't know how faithful it will be until the books come out.

News Bot

Banned
Fuck D&D.

• As a mere teenager, Stannis led the successful defense of Storm's End, refusing to surrender the castle to the Tyrell host besieging the castle and the Redwyne Fleet blockading Shipwrecker Bay.
  • He (likely) uses joint arms and launches an amphibious assault to take Dragonstone from the Targaryens -- all this after he's been holed up inside Storm's End for the better part of a year.
  • He's appointed Master of Ships. When the Greyjoy Rebellion takes place, he traps Victarion & Aeron Greyjoy in the channel between Fair Isle and the Westerlands. He ends up destroying the Iron Fleet, despite minimal previous naval experience.
  • He competently led an attempt to seize a city by force of arms at King's Landing. Despite massive walls and early setbacks (Wildfire destroys his amphibious force), he pushes up against two gates (Mud and River) and nearly breaches them, throwing back assaults by Sandor Clegane. Meanwhile, his men cross a bridge of burning ships to try to continue the assault where the amphibious assault faltered. He's really only defeated when Tywin shows up and takes him in the rear (though I argue that his inability to clear the Kingswood of Tyrion's Mountain Clansmen was a serious flaw in his plan.)
  • He's an excellent maneuver commander. At the Battle of Castle Black, he uses cavalry to attack the Wildlings with a partial-pincer movement in bad weather.
  • Stannis uses indigenous forces (Northern Mountain Clansmen) to help take Deepwood Motte. He uses camouflage, reconnaissance and commando raids to accomplish his goals.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I read the books. He's as close to Winterfell in ADWD as he is at the end of Season 5. Stannis is insane. He burns people alive. Like the Mad King did.

To be fair, the last known location of Stannis was 3 days from Winterfell.

He's not insane. Melisandre is the one that wants to burn people. When Stannis is dealing with the treason from Karstark, he even says he will decide whether to behead or burn them depending on how fast they confess. Sounds more like he would rather just behead them.

He burns his daughter to gain favor from a god that he knows exists and has seen at work and, as stupid as the whole plot is, he feels great pain over it. As for attacking Winterfell, he had no other choice, it was do or die at that point. He couldn't make the march again.

Your definition of insanity is fucked. The Mad King burned people alive because he got off on it.

Book Stannis is an atheist. He goes along with Melisandre because she can demonstrate having some sort of power, not that he actually believes in her red god. He cares more about the effect than where he it comes from.

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-cast-signs-season-744314

Unless Kit Harrington negotiated with the A tier for absolutely no reason (since he was already signed for season 5), Harrington is returning and is getting a pay raise.

Its possible there is a clause in their contract somewhere stating they can be killed at any time though I would guess. Considering if this is true we know not a single major character will die until at least Season 7

Turin

Banned
Pretty good episode. I like how the daggers in the dark transpired. Jon's scene with Sam was good. The walk was great. Loved Arya murdering Trant. I'm not mad about Stannis' death. Both characters were treated well in that scene.

Curious how Theon and Sansa will turn out next year. And for fucks sake give Jaime back his story next year.

News Bot

Banned
Book Stannis is an atheist. He goes along with Melisandre because she can demonstrate having some sort of power, not that he actually believes in her red god. He cares more about the effect than where he it comes from.

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men.

I was referring to show Stannis in terms of believing in her god.

This is one of the better breakdowns of this plotline that I have seen.
Thanks! Basically a lot of book 4 and 5 are examples of how leaders lead and make decisions and stuff like that I think, and the consequences of those decisions. It's terribly interesting I think once you break into it, but that takes a while and at least one reread to really do, so it makes 4 and 5 less rewarding at a glance than something like the Viper and the Mountain fight.

Vyer

Stannis ending was too rushed.

Arya stuff was super awkward.

Walk of Shame was good, cgi was distracting though. I ask my wife, "do you feel sorry for her?" "Hell no." Lol

varys+Tyrion running Meereen is an interesting idea.

No problem with Sansa/Reek. Not surprising as it continues the Poole replacement.

Everything's coming up Samwell.

Meh finale, but interested in seeing what happens next as we've reached the full split for all intents and purposes.

I see that 'bad writing' and 'hacks' have become the code words for 'not like the books'. Every day I thank The Seven I'm not a 'book purist'.

Werd

Still don't mind his defeat, but if he's really dead I don't know why they'd cut away from the shot confirming it on screen. Or not give Brienne an extra few seconds of reaction.

I know a bunch of people have already gone on and "done their duty", we STILL HAVE STRAGGLERS

#teamOllySaves
munchie64
phaonaut
Blatz
PhoenixDark
hammertomb
hoos30
Brakke
Dysun
Kain
Kyougar
Woody Invincible
schlongdog
kris.

O2p0kzy.png

RyanDG

Its possible there is a clause in their contract somewhere stating they can be killed at any time though I would guess. Considering if this is true we know not a single major character will die until at least Season 7

There is a list of characters that I believe are truly unkillable to Martin (until the final season), and only one character/actor listed in that article (Natalie Dormer) is not on that list.

Edit - I'll also state that the negotiations for this contract were occurring simultaneously with this season being filmed. If Harrington wasn't going to be coming back, there was no reason for him to be in contract negotiations at all.

News Bot

Banned
I see that 'bad writing' and 'hacks' have become the code words for 'not like the books'. Every day I thank The Seven I'm not a 'book purist'.

Or just statements of fact. Bad writing is bad writing and this season is particularly full of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom