• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

My hope is that:

-Brienne spares Stannis and allows him to take the black (where Stannis could become the new Lord Commander).

-Jon Snow is revived by Melissandre, and since he's released from his vows, he can go with a few thousand wildlings and take over Winterfell with his new Lord of Light Super Saiyan powers.

But no, all of the worst things in the world will happen and this show/books won't have a happy ending.

God damn, what a rollercoaster of emotions I'm going through right now, this is like 2011 all over again when I finished reading the book.

Kusagari

Davos still lives and I believe he and Stannis still have business. Stannis may be finished for his campaign to be king, but I feel he may yet have a part to play.

Or he could be dead. I don't know where that leaves Davos though...I feel he's too important to just disappear.

He'll go along with Mel on her wacky journey to revive Jon.

There are many deaths in the books that are utterly without hope or meaning, they just happen because of ignorance or stupid malice. People looking only at their little corner of the world instead of the giant god damn problem they're trying to so hard to ignore.

Might be the overarching point of the series, in fact. Jon's death is more or less the ultimate example of that.

That said, he is almost certainly not dead (permanently). When Thoros talks to Mel about resurrecting Beric (show only!) he specifically mentions that all hope was lost for him when he kissed him, that he had no idea what would happen. This mirrors Mel's place now, she has completely lost her way, and conveniently parked herself right near Jon's recently deceased corpse.

Thing is, that doesn't make it good though. Something can be part of the "overarching theme" and still be shit.

If Jon is dead, this story is shit imo

Best GoT episode ever! What's not to love!?!

Arya brutally butchered some guy on her list!
Cersei showed tits and that bush! Wow!
That assassin guy was dead but he isn't!?! Wut!?!
Tyrion, Daario, Jorah and Grey Worm are bros? Sweet.
Ramsay just can't lose!
Theon is back!!
For the Watch!?! Whaaaaat??? Wooooow! Shocked me more than the Bloody Wedding from season one!

Amazing. Up there with Breaking Bad as the best television show of all time. Only the Walking Dead is close!

That was a body double. Still hot though lol. Fuck Ramsay. I hope Theon is back for good.

FTW was brutal. Watching it was worse then reading it.

Someone needs to make one of those book vs show comparison images about dorne:

Book:
Doran appears to be a frail and weak leader, but his plans are long in the making and culminate in the brilliant "Fire and Blood" speech.

Show;
You want a good girl, but you need bad pussy
I mean, you made book Doran look a lot cooler by leaving out the stuff where he sends his son on a suicide mission that can only end in war while simultaneously lamenting war, but still.

Speevy

Banned
I thought Stannis getting his ass kicked after losing half his men to mutiny was an extremely realistic way to end things.

It certainly beat the shit way they killed his daughter last episode.

The Boltons may not be known as this great army and Ramsay may be a god king, but I totally bought that Stannis actually LOST this battle by sacrificing Shireen.

I thought Stannis getting his ass kicked after losing half his men to mutiny was an extremely realistic way to end things.

The Boltons may not be known as this great army and Ramsay may be a god king, but I totally bought that Stannis actually LOST this battle by sacrificing Shireen.
Why did they send out an army? It really doesn't make sense.

And of course, the problems I'm talking about stretch far back throughout the season. It's all been terrible. Like the only reason Stannis had to sacrifice Shireen was because he made stupid decisions mixed with magical convenience and 20 good men.

I do agree, I like the way they handled that. It was believable. At that point his men realized how fucking crazy Stannis has become and just bailed. After watching the dude burn his own daughter alive I can't really say I blame them

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Arnold has weighed in on the finale.

MajYucv.gif

ezrarh

My hope is that:

-Brienne spares Stannis and allows him to take the black (where Stannis could become the new Lord Commander).

-Jon Snow is revived by Melissandre, and since he's released from his vows, he can go with a few thousand wildlings and take over Winterfell with his new Lord of Light Super Saiyan powers.

But no, all of the worst things in the world will happen and this show/books won't have a happy ending.

God damn, what a rollercoaster of emotions I'm going through right now, this is like 2011 all over again when I finished reading the book.

That would be nice. If Jon is dead, then the only thing GRRM is good at is taking past historical events and changing the names of people and combining it all into one series because you gotta have vikings, mongols, knights, Cordoba, myrish swamps.

I do agree, I like the way they handled that. It was believable. At that point his men realized how fucking crazy Stannis has become and just bailed. After watching the dude burn his own daughter alive I can't really say I blame them
Half of his army was comprised of nonbelievers...

Gnome

One of the worlds greatest military minds going out into an open field to make camp in broad daylight outside the enemies gates with half his army gone and no equipment to be seen.

Realistic.

A_Gorilla

Banned

And of course, the problems I'm talking about stretch far back throughout the season. It's all been terrible. Like the only reason Stannis had to sacrifice Shireen was because he made stupid decisions mixed with magical convenience and 20 good men.

The Bolton army was bolstered by the sellswords that defected from Stannis, hence why they were all on horses.

Leeness

I don't know what ring it was, but the Inside the Episode said it was to leave a trail behind.

Leaving a tiny ring in a field when you were just flown who knows how far away from your previous destination seems like a pretty long shot there. We had Jon as Aragon in Hardhome, next season Daario/Jorah get to.

Lol yeah...definite long shot but I guess it was the best she could do?

Finished the episode. Really liked it!

Laughing at my show-only friend who texted me right after and was all "FUCK THIS SHOW I'M OUT".

Even if it isn't done via Ghost in the show, I highly doubt that's the last of Jon.

Speevy

Banned

They sent out the men because they had hundreds of Stannis' deserters on their side, and Stannis had no cavalry.

Even if you weren't batshit crazy like Ramsay, wouldn't YOU send out mounted men to ride down unmounted men?

The Bolton army was bolstered by the sellswords that defected from Stannis, hence why they were all on horses.
Why not just starve him out a few days like they said before?

But I mean regardless, everything else I said still holds true yeah? Like why did Stannis even use sells words in the first place? They made him a bad commander for convenience sake. The stuff this episode was just the culmination of all the hack writing in the past episodes.

I don't know what ring it was, but the Inside the Episode said it was to leave a trail behind.

Leaving a tiny ring in a field when you were just flown who knows how far away from your previous destination seems like a pretty long shot there. We had Jon as Aragon in Hardhome, next season Daario/Jorah get to.

Hopefully someone has Witcher senses.

Speevy

Banned
One of the worlds greatest military minds going out into an open field to make camp in broad daylight outside the enemies gates with half his army gone and no equipment to be seen.

Realistic.

As realistic as continuing on a blind quest to take an iron chair because you're written as a man who feels it's his duty to be king.

You name one general in world history who wouldn't have at least fallen back and regrouped after what Stannis faced in the books.

News Bot

Banned

Burning his daughter in the first place was unbelievable. In the books he makes a point of no burning because he'd lose the unbelievers. D&D inserted some hackneyed scheme with their awful shirtless demi-god version of Ramsey and his "twenty good men" in order to try and make Stannis look forced into it, even though there are literally no circumstances where he would burn his own daughter.

As realistic as continuing on a blind quest to take an iron chair because you're written as a man who feels it's his duty to be king.

You name one general in world history who wouldn't have at least fallen back and regrouped after what Stannis faced in the books.

Sorry, but bullshit. It's not a blind quest no more than Renly or Robb's campaigns were "blind quests." Stannis even got the backing of the Iron Bank, but that plot point conveniently vanished in this season.

Lol yeah...definite long shot but I guess it was the best she could do?

Finished the episode. Really liked it!

Laughing at my show-only friend who texted me right after and was all "FUCK THIS SHOW I'M OUT".

Even if it isn't done via Ghost in the show, I highly doubt that's the last of Jon.

I doubt hes going to Warg. His last word was Olly. Mel is guaranteed to resurrect him at this point.

Unless they burn him and hes reborn as a Dragon.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Why not just starve him out a few days like they said before?

But I mean regardless, everything else I said still holds true yeah? Like why did Stannis even use sells words in the first place? They made him a bad commander for convenience sake.

Half his army is gone. Those that are left are tired and demoralized. Why risk a siege when you now not only have much more men than him, but also all of his horses?

I mean, you made book Doran look a lot cooler by leaving out the stuff where he sends his son on a suicide mission that can only end in war while simultaneously lamenting war, but still.
He sent his son as an emissary. Nobody had any idea that mereen would be besieged and volantis going to war when he sent him. Nobles travel to Essos all the time. So, wrong on that point.

He also didn't lament war at all. He was a careful plotter and stone cold realist who knew that dorne couldn't fight the seven kingdoms alone and was planning a an alliance with the targs to start a true civil war, not just lol dorne vs everyone like the sand snakes and Arianne (initially) wanted.

Not sure you read the books even if you're so dead wrong about what happens in them.

suzu

Everyone complaining, I am not exactly sure what you expected. The 4th and 5th book are terrible/mediocre so the show was going to drop in quality if they stay even remotely true to the book.

If the books were so shit (which I don't agree, I thought it was mostly ok aside from some characters) then why didn't they change things for the better? I mean they already picked and chose stuff or changed things entirely, and it was still a weak season (and it wasn't because of the book storylines).

The best things the show has done this season that was different from the books was remove Tyrion's stupidly long journey and adding the Hardhome battle. lol

Mashing

Next season will be better by default as Dorne is cut. Euron story should be so much more interesting than that train wreck. Bran will be back too and I'm interested to see where that leads.

Speevy

Banned
Sorry, but bullshit. It's not a blind quest no more than Renly or Robb's campaigns were "blind quests." Stannis even got the backing of the Iron Bank, but that plot point conveniently vanished in this season.

How much money does it take to weather a snowstorm in medieval times?

He sent his son as an emissary. Nobody had any idea that mereen would be besieged and volantis going to war when he sent him. Nobles travel to Essos all the time. So, wrong on that point.

He also didn't lament war at all. He was a careful plotter and stone cold realist who knew that dorne couldn't fight the seven kingdoms alone and was planning a an alliance with the targs to start a true civil war, not just lol dorne vs everyone like the sand snakes and Arianne (initially) wanted.

Not sure you read the books even if you're so dead wrong about what happens in them.
Okay, this is all wrong haha. His son is clearly not up to the task he's given. You'd think a "genius plotter" would see that.

He also spends all of his time lamenting war and death. That's why he never shuts up about water gardens. The tragedy of his character is that as much as he talks about how revenge can hurt thousands of innocents to protect the very few in power, he plans revenge anyway.

But speaking of dead wrong, the entire Martells in book 6, yeah?

Gnome

In the books Stannis did exactly that after the battle of Blackwater. As for Winterfell, he's trapped in deep snows with nowhere to retreat to, and also we don't know yet what he has planned, though it is implied he's setting a trap for the Boltons out on the ice that his men are slowly weakening.

Burning his daughter in the first place was unbelievable. In the books he makes a point of no burning because he'd lose the unbelievers. D&D inserted some hackneyed scheme with their awful shirtless demi-god version of Ramsey and his "twenty good men" in order to try and make Stannis look forced into it, even though there are literally no circumstances where he would burn his own daughter.

Oh I here ya, I thought that him burning his daughter in the show was asinine.

I just mean, the OUTCOME made sense. His dudes bailing on him after going full crazy is logical

News Bot

Banned
How much money does it take to weather a snowstorm?

A snowstorm that only existed so he would be the complete opposite of what he is and die. Stannis as he is in the books would still march through it, or die on the way.

Oh I here ya, I thought that him burning his daughter in the show was asinine.

I just mean, the OUTCOME made sense. His dudes bailing on him after going full crazy is logical

Well yeah, the outcome makes sense... it's even stated in the books. It's just not the outcome that happens because GRRM is actually a decent writer.

Book:
Doran appears to be a frail and weak leader, but his plans are long in the making and culminate in the brilliant "Fire and Blood" speech.

Show;

Book Doran's "Fire and Blood" speech is made into a joke after ADWD. Doran was wise not to start a war he couldn't win, but other than that everything he's ever planned has failed.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Yep. Especially with the Red Lady abandoning him, it came off as Stannis making the wrong choice AND that the Red Lady was playing him hard. Which fits all the hypnosis like scenes from previous seasons.

It's funny how many people complained last week how his army wouldn't have put up with Shireen's burning and then when the show follows through people still complain about that! Not that there isn't plenty else to complain about...

Leeness

I doubt hes going to Warg. His last word was Olly. Mel is guaranteed to resurrect him at this point.

Unless they burn him and hes reborn as a Dragon.

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Why else would Melisandre just conveniently show up. Haha.

I'd be down for him becoming a dragon though.

....even though there are literally no circumstances where he would burn his own daughter.

Considering he tried to burn his own nephew when he had his back to the wall a few seasons ago, actually not all that surprising really. It's only a few steps worse, to be honest.

...Stannis even got the backing of the Iron Bank, but that plot point conveniently vanished in this season.

Where do you think he got all those sellswords who vanished on him from?

Okay, this is all wrong haha. His son is clearly not up to the task he's given. You'd think a "genius plotter" would see that.

He also spends all of his time lamenting war and death. That's why he never shuts up about water gardens. The tragedy of his character is that as much as he talks about how revenge can hurt thousands of innocents to protect the very few in power, he plans revenge anyway.
Way to ignore both the books and my point about mereen but sure....and wrong still about his feelings on war. Did you miss his own analogy about the snake and the grass? The grass wasn't crying about hurting innocents, it hides the killer snake till the right moment. And wtf do you think he meant by fire and blood? Jeez

Arkeband

Banned

Book:

Show;

"Err, uhh, me nose'll be 'alfway up yer arse before the night's through!"

Hamlet

Realistic.

He was getting desperate as his army was starting to fall apart and morale was very low. Best to get on the move rather than wait around till his army falls apart and try to start a siege somehow. Just no one expected the Bolton's to bring out a massive army out of nowhere.
Plus Melisandre hightailing it outta there certainly didn't help.

Kusagari

I mean ultimately I do see Stannis making the dumb decision to just charge the Bolton's as sensible considering where the show went.

The second Melisandre abandoned him he realized that he had basically done all this for nothing. Might as well go out trying to cause as much damage as possible to your enemy.

Book Doran's "Fire and Blood" speech is made into a joke after ADWD. Doran was wise not to start a war he couldn't win, but other than that everything he's ever planned has failed.

That's fine, I just meant in terms of impact at that exact moment, it was a lot better than "bad pussy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom