• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

I thought he and Rose broke up?

tumblr_np71e7sljg1uvz68ao5_500.gif

Of course Myrcella gets her first sweet scene where she's likable right before she dies. Just like Shireen got her first bonding moment with her father before she's burned to death by him. Walking Dead does the same type of thing. GoT writers are sadly on the WD level.

I legit teared up at that scene. My wife walked in while it was happening. "Don't spoil anything!" she called out and I, through tears, said "this is the sweetest most fucked up thing they've done on the show".

I legit laughed when she fucking bounced.

"You want a good girl but need a bad pussy"

"but need a bad pussy"

"bad pussy"

Send help please

If her pussy is bad she should throw it out. Take a sniff, go "whew", then throw it away.

I legit would bang the shit out of her still.

TTG

For a second I thought Dany was back in Westeros. Looked like the spot where the Hound took a tumble, then I thought maybe it's Middle Earth(admit it looked New Zealandish, it did), but the morons on horses ruined all of that. I hope it doesn't take them all season to bring Dany back. Anyway, a bit by the numbers for us, but next season you should be all original content.

Sansa obviously isn't dead, maybe she used Reek to break her fall. Stannis is. I wonder about Jon, if it wasn't for the fire witch it would be a certainty.

Monocle

Cersei's walk was great. One of the few moments where the show did a book scene full justice.

Wow, Arya went all in on Slappy McJerkface. Brutal.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Stannis is alive based on the lame ambiguous cut in his final scene. Brienne saying "I sentence you to die" and then sparing his life is the kind of thing that passes for clever on this show now.

ROFLing clear across the room and into the street at Melisandre peace outing Stannis and returning ignobly to Castle Black. She looked like a guilty puppy. Fantastic.

I wonder how many people will stop watching the show now that Jon was killed. First Robb, then Jon. GOT is running low on mancandy.

Will Jon be resurrected? Melisandre's presence at Castle Black makes that seem like a distinct possibility, but who even knows anymore?

Myrcella, god damn. Ellaria is a spiteful person.

Ollie's a brat. I'm allergic to his face.

Grey Worm still looks like an emaciated child to me. They cast that guy as an elite warrior, seriously? With those pecs I'm surprised he can hold a fork upright, much less a spear.

Varys, yes! What a strange twist that a disgraced Lannister and King's Landing's missing spymaster are now in control of Dany's city.

Drogon is lazy and very rude.

"Bad pussy."

duckroll

the funniest thing d&d could do is have jon snow actually be dead but still pay harrington to show up on set in costume to make everyone go "i knew he wasn't really dead".

They could also have him be credited in every single episode of the season too, and leak the cast lists early. Then when it airs, it turns out he really is dead but he shows up in a new flashback gimmick where every character recalls moments in the past where they interacted with Jon Snow at one point or other.

eot

Banned
I didn't expect Alliser to stab Jon. They made no secret of him hating Jon, but he never came off as the muntineer type to me. Especially without a triggering event (why let him through the wall?).

Monocle

I didn't expect Alliser to stab Jon. They made no secret of him hating Jon, but he never came off as the muntineer type to me. Especially without a triggering event (why let him through the wall?).
Yeah, that struck me as weird. I thought their relationship had evolved to one of grudging respect, but whatever. Do your thing, D&D.

-Jon gets rezzed
-Sansa arrives with Brienne and Theon to Castle Black
-Jon hears what Ramsey has done to her
-Goes and gets revenge using the wildings, destroys the Boltons, fulfills Melisandre's "I saw the Bolton sigil burning" prophecy

Monocle

Wow, what a fucking stupid comment. He's hardly emaciated...GAF never lets you down.
Yeah he looks like a real badass. Take an extra chill pill friend, it's an honest opinion.

-Jon gets rezzed
-Goes and gets revenge using the wildings, destroys the Boltons, fulfills Melisandre's "I saw the Bolton sigil burning" prophecy
I give your avatar an 11/10.

At this point, if say Essos not only has better cities, better infrastructure, but it appears they are so much more advanced than Westeros all together.

It is, isn't it? It's older and has been civilized longer. The Targaryens went to Westeros and wrecked shop on those losers. There's a reason Westeros hasn't been conquered again by anyone from Essos, it's because no one in Essos gives a shit about that backwards continent.

Kusagari

I feel like it would have made some more sense in the show if there was actually, you know, a scene with Jon and the guys who were there telling everyone about Hardholme.

Have Thorne be incredulous and decide to take out Jon because he refuses to believe in the Walkers and thinks he's infecting others with his fairy tails.

But of course we get zero scenes where Jon tells anyone but Sam about seeing the end of the world.

Jibbed

-Jon gets rezzed

This sounds top good to be true. I really hope it happens though.

Imperial

Wasn't too impressed with this episode. Felt like they rushed things to tie up loose ends. However I did like the Walk of Atonement and Jon's death

On the plus side, all these dead characters need to be replaced. The Greyjoy's need to be brought back into the fray

Monocle

This could very well happen actually. We need a presence at the wall with Jon being dead/borked.
Actually he might be a pretty great Lord Commander in Jon's stead. It would be fun if that happened while Melisandre was still at the Wall.

I think Alliser will be next as LC and his squire would be everyone's favourite, Olly. I really doubt the Nights Watch would be sheltering Stannis loyalists especially the likes of Davos.

Paganmoon

I've caught up on the thread as best I could now. Saw a lot of people complaining about where the Boltons got their army and all the horsemen.

I thought it was the deserters from the Stannis army that joined the Boltons, right? Cause I was also surprised at the size, but then figured it had to be the deserters joining Boltons.

Madness

It is, isn't it? It's older and has been civilized longer. The Targaryens went to Westeros and wrecked shop on those losers. There's a reason Westeros hasn't been conquered again by anyone from Essos, it's because no one in Essos gives a shit about that backwards continent.

It's older and more developed sure, but when reading the books, it felt very much like the cities were behind Westeros in a lot of areas. Sort of like all the cities were clinging to old infrastructure like that Valyrian road, whereas Westeros was moving forward at a quicker pace. I'm probably wrong though. The place Dany went with Drogon doesn't really make sense. It seemed very temperate and Northern but from my memory of the map for Essos, it's northernmost part, is similar to where the middle of Westeros is, with Braavos being at the top left. How could they get an almost Northern Ireland, Iceland looking area when it should theoretically only be in Westeros North? Isn't the Dothraki area supposed to just be large flatlands and grasslands (akin to great plains in NA) with tons of ruined cities? Probably splitting hairs though. I mean they literally had Melisandre catch up to Davos at Castle Black the same time he reached and was trying to convince Jon and yet she rode from near Winterfell which should be several days worth of riding a horse.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've caught up on the thread as best I could now. Saw a lot of people complaining about where the Boltons got their army and all the horsemen.

I thought it was the deserters from the Stannis army that joined the Boltons, right? Cause I was also surprised at the size, but then figured it had to be the deserters joining Boltons.

I recall one of the people at my watch party last night going, "oh, that's his men they thought deserted him! He's fine."

Her look a moment later was RW-esque.

I thought Thorne would try to defend Jon and get cut down for his troubles, what with how he seemed to have become less of an asshole since the earlier seasons. But nope.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I thought Thorne would try to defend Jon and get cut down for his troubles, what with how he seemed to have become less of an asshole since the earlier seasons. But nope.

I thought it was set up quite believably. He said the nicest thing to Jon last week; "you have a good heart, Jon Snow. It'll get us all killed." In the day or so that followed, the decision to mutiny was made, no doubt. Thorne did as he was ordered and allowed the Wildlings through, although the thought of turning against his Lord Commander ran across his actor's face in the heat of the moment. No doubt, that heat didn't dissipate, and after a chat with his supporters, turned to vengeance.

Real Hero

oh my god I can't believe how bad the Stannis and Bolton confrontation was, like they spent an entire season for Stannis to have no plan if they fought back?? Then they cut to him defeated, it was properly terrible. They nailed Cersei's walk but that also ruined almost every other scene because they all felt rushed in comparison.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
oh my god I can't believe how bad the Stannis and Bolton confrontation was, like they spent an entire season for Stannis to have no plan if they fought back??

I wouldn't call his situation "the Boltons are fighting back."

His entire army was in ruin and half of what was left vanished in the night with all his horses.

Real Hero

His entire army was in ruin and half of what was left vanished in the night with all his horses.

You'd think the 'worlds finest military commander' as the show calls him to at least form a plan. I hate the fact they did the typical 'cut away to men on the floor being killed' too it felt extremely cheap after an entire season of build up.

I thought it was set up quite believably. He said the nicest thing to Jon last week; "you have a good heart, Jon Snow. It'll get us all killed." In the day or so that followed, the decision to mutiny was made, no doubt. Thorne did as he was ordered and allowed the Wildlings through, although the thought of turning against his Lord Commander ran across his actor's face in the heat of the moment. No doubt, that heat didn't dissipate, and after a chat with his supporters, turned to vengeance.
Honestly, it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Killing Jon at that moment didn't acheieve a single thing from the watches perspective. It didn't stop Jon from doing anything as without the 'pink letter', there was no hint of there being anything further to stop; the wildlings have already been allowed past the wall. What are the few dozen remaining Crows going to do, ask them nicely to go back? It's far more likely that murdering the one person that had their respect would just piss off the thousands of wildlings you have just let through the gate.

It made no sense and was stupid as fuck.

The show has made many of the characters appear so dumb it's impossible to give a shit about what happens to them.

Even without half of Stannis's force deserting, they still would have been vastly outnumbered by the insane number of troops which came flowing out of Winterfell. Those forces, plus all the horses didn't even look like they could have fit inside there.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
You'd think the 'worlds finest military commander' as the show calls him to at least form a plan. I hate the fact they did the typical 'cut away to men on the floor being killed' too it felt extremely cheap after an entire season of build up.

Yeah, you'd think.

I didn't really feel robbed over the cutaway, personally, but my first thought was, "some people are going to be mad about this." I think it was alright since that was pretty clearly going to be a total rout and there was something to be said for the dramatic decision to just trust in Stephen Dillane's acting to sell "ahhh, fuck me. Well, here's this, then."

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Honestly, it made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Killing Jon at that moment didn't acheieve a single thing from the watches perspective. It didn't stop Jon from doing anything as without the 'pink letter', there was no hint of there being anything further to stop; the wildlings have already been allowed past the wall. What are the few dozen remaining Crows going to do, ask them nicely to go back? It's far more likely that murdering the one person that had their respect would just piss off the thousands of wildlings you have just let through the gate.

It made no sense and was stupid as fuck.

The show has made many of the characters appear so dumb it's impossible to give a shit about what happens to them.

I took it as the Night's Watch fearing the rest of them are going to go off and die "meaninglessly" for Wildling interests while their Lord Commander continues to consort with them and consider their well-being above the well-being of his own charges. It's fear-mongering getting the worst of them and making them act out of total paranoia. Whether that's what the showrunners were going for I couldn't say, but sometimes rash decision-making is the intentional portrayal of stupidity in storytelling. The shortsightedness of the action is not on-par with ADWD's far more reasonable and nuanced depiction, but not once since watching 5x10 have I thought, "damn, that was dumb writing."

Goddamn.

Selyse dying wasn't expected. It makes sense, though. Briene offing Stannis was kinda awesome, and a long time in the making. Didn't mind that deviation one bit.

I knew Ellaria was up to something the moment she rubbed Myrcella's lips. "That girl gun' dieeeeee."

Thank god they didn't drag out Dany's scene.

Reek pushing Miranda off the edge was awesome. Interesting to see what they'll do with Theon/Sansa now that Stannis is no longer out there.

Kinda a shame Ramsay didn't get his, too. Was honestly expecting it at this point, show had been killing off characters like flies.

For the Watch was well-done. Half-epxected Mel to walk up to Jon and rez him right at the end, since they were focussing so much on his face. Still convinced it'll happen, it can't be the end of his arc.

All in all, another great episode. Glad season 5 got at least three good ones.

SpaceHorror

So the Sandsnakes kill Myrcella, even though Trystane Martell, the Prince of freaking Dorne, is with the Lannisters?

Pretty sure that was the point.

They've been trying to push Doran to go to war all season. Now the Lannisters have his son as a hostage, or they may even kill him.

They are still trying to push for war. I don't think they care if it takes Trystane dying or being held hostage. They are hoping this finally pushes Doran over the edge.

Mxrz

Actually he might be a pretty great Lord Commander in Jon's stead. It would be fun if that happened while Melisandre was still at the Wall.

I don't really want to see the asshole-watch kill another honest man.

All the Jon Snow is dead stuff is going to be "But Jon Stark/Targ/Anor is born!' - There's no way he's coming back in the books and staying dead on the show.

He's been up and down for a while. Its like they tried to add elements of Donal Noyle to his character, but then would have him go be a dick. At this point just going to call it bad screen writing.

Saw someone elsewhere say 'the only real deaths tonight were the Night's Watch.' Think I'm falling more into that camp.

Stannis will be taking the black (or sacrificing himself to bring Jon back), and once Sansa, Brienne, and Pod make it to Castle Black, Davos will have his orders to go find Rickon. Man, it's going to be fun watching the wildlings fuck up the Boltons.

Pretty sure that was the point.

They've been trying to push Doran to go to war all season. Now the Lannisters have his son as a hostage, or they may even kill him.

They are still trying to push for war. I don't think they care if it takes Trystane dying or being held hostage. They are hoping this finally pushes Doran over the edge.
That makes no fucking sense. They could have easily turned the fuck around.

"Hey. Dawg. When that lady kissed my daughter. She got poisoned. I demand her fucking head in a platter. With a side of bad pussy"

kirblar

so how is Jon's death different in the books?
There's a pretty blatant Melisandre vision that tells the reader he wargs into Ghost and that he'll later be able to jump back in his body, and his final moments are vaguely written and could mean multiple things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom