• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

An extra knowing all of that detail is actually quite realistic, since they hire the same guys for weeks on end in order to keep the scene consistent.

I'm talking more about certain plot points than the battle itself, specifically
Ramsay and Wun Wun dying, specially the giant.

First Daario had no screen presence, Huisman makes the relationship with Dany at least somewhat convincing. Far more than the books did even.

Major leak spoiler stuff about battle events:
Finally saw these spoilers, and yeah it looks like they all match. And they have a sense of coherence to them that most of the fake spoilers lack. I wonder if Umber just hates the Wildlings enough that he's willing to side against the Starks, or if they're just rewriting Smalljon to be a complete asshole like it kind of sounds like. Poor guy is going to end up the most harshly rewritten character in the whole series.

Link to said spoilers?

I liked the first Daario, more in line with what I imagined him to be like.

Agreed. Huisman is a great actor, but he just doesn't feel like Daario to me. He's too "Han Solo", and too straightforward. I thought Skrein did a much better job of capturing the flamboyance and slightly off kilter approach of the book character.

Old Daario was too much of a pretty boy. New Daario has the bad boy thing on lock. He looks like the kind of guy who would smoke and ride a motorcycle and would keep you up at night thinking about your teenage daughter hanging out with him.

Bleh... its like the whole reason for all of that is just so he can be away from his sister and crumple up that letter she sent. So contrived.

Jaime's interactions with the Frey's and Tully's are some of the best writing in that book.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm talking more about certain plot points than the battle itself, specifically
Ramsay and Wun Wun dying, specially the giant.

Stark soldiers would be charging in with Jon/Wun Wun, so it would make sense that he would see what goes down in there if he's playing one of those.

Link to said spoilers?

MAJOR SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK: http://m.imgur.com/BPnVKH9

Agreed. Huisman is a great actor, but he just doesn't feel like Daario to me. He's too "Han Solo", and too straightforward. I thought Skrein did a much better job of capturing the flamboyance and slightly off kilter approach of the book character.

I think the issue is book Daario needed to be completely dismantled for the show. Daario1 was closer to him, sure, but that was kind of the problem. Every one of those Daario-and-Dany-talk-over-sex scenes in season 5 would have been laughable with that guy. The show needed a different character to make it work, and Huisman has delivered on that.

Stark soldiers would be charging in with Jon/Wun Wun, so it would make sense that he would see what goes down in there if he's playing one of those.

MAJOR SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK: http://m.imgur.com/BPnVKH9

I think the issue is book Daario needed to be completely dismantled for the show. Daario1 was closer to him, sure, but that was kind of the problem. Every one of those Daario-and-Dany-talk-over-sex scenes in season 5 would have been laughable with that guy. The show needed a different character to make it work, and Huisman has delivered on that.

It's such a dumb thing to get annoyed about but I can't stand when Ramsay is spelled Ramsey.

mantidor

But he said specific details,
and we know Wun Wun has to be CGIed if he interacts with someone else. Production telling everyone how the giant specifically dies seems out of place.

We are also assuming things were filmed in chronological order, most likely, they were not.

Most spoilers do point out to something though,
and that is that Ramsay has the upper hand. The Vale arriving to save the day seems like trying to copy the Rohirrim arriving to Helm's Deep and that is so contrived and awful that I'm almost completely believing it. :p and of course D&D ruining the Umbers is perfectly plausible, like the last spit on book readers from them.

I don't necessarily agree. I think Skrein would have done perfectly fine in the bedroom scenes. Hardly a huge point of contention for me, though. I'm not losing sleep over who plays Daario! And it's not anywhere near the top of the list of problems the show has encountered in the last couple seasons.

Second Daario is best Daario. It is known.
anigif_enhanced-8664-1401221175-6.gif

He's so much more attractive. The other one was such a derp.

Iksenpets

Banned
Only thing I don't like is Ramsey going out killing Wun Wun. His kill count is too damn big.

It didn't read to me like Ramsay specifically kills him. It sounds like there's a whole group of Bolton archers, and we just see Wun Wun get hit by a stray arrow. If it's actually a shot of Ramsay shooting him and smirking all smugly about it or something, then yeah that'll be lame.

The Umber thing is definitely going to be a sore spot for book people though. I can get that Rickon may have lost his purpose in the reshuffling of the Northern plot and may need to be killed off, but I would've preferred handing Ramsay another win and having him sack the Last Hearth and kill Smalljon to get Rickon, rather than this Smalljon heel turn, but I guess they wanted other lords to back up Ramsay and give him people to talk to after Roose is gone.

Turin

Banned
Daario 1 looked like a Tolkien elf. I remember thinking he had a coolness to him but seemed out of place.

The thought of
the Umbers siding with Ramsay
is just fucking weird. Bleh.

Sean C

But he said specific details,
and we know Wun Wun has to be CGIed if he interacts with someone else. Production telling everyone how the giant specifically dies seems out of place.
If he's killed by archers, there'd be actual archers shooting at the giant onset. It makes sense that an extra would know about that.

Most spoilers do point out to something though,
and that is that Ramsay has the upper hand. The Vale arriving to save the day seems like trying to copy the Rohirrim arriving to Helm's Deep and that is so contrived and awful that I'm almost completely believing it. :p and of course D&D ruining the Umbers is perfectly plausible, like the last spit on book readers from them.
Every major dramatized battle in this series ends the same way:

Battle of the Blackwater (209): Surprise Tyrell/Lannister cavalry charge!
Battle of the Wall (410): Surprise Baratheon cavalry charge!
Battle of Winterfell (510): Surprise Bolton cavalry charge!
Battle of Winterfell (609?): Surprise Arryn cavalry charge!
Siege of Meereen (610?): Surprise Dothraki cavalry charge!

Lothar

Banned
What character is that MAJOR SPOILER in regard to? Maybe it's time for me to get out of this thread. I haven't looked any of the trailers. For the first time, I have no clue where the story is going and I want it to stay that way. Are there major spoilers out? Jon returning isn't a major spoiler if it's that.

I still don't know what the fuck they were thinking with that first dude.

The first dude was easily better. Sure the second looks better, but there's nothing interesting or distinct about him. He's just boring. First dude had charisma.

Iksenpets

Banned
What character is that MAJOR SPOILER in regard to? Maybe it's time for me to get out of this thread. I haven't looked any of the trailers. For the first time, I have no clue where the story is going and I want it to stay that way. Are there major spoilers out? Jon returning isn't a major spoiler if it's that.

The first dude was easily better. Sure the second looks better, but there's nothing interesting or distinct about him. He's just boring. First dude had charisma.

It's about events impacting pretty much every character currently located in the North. If you are at all spoiler sensitive I would not read any of it. It's not 100% confirmed, but it matches imagery and dialogue in the trailer in ways that would indicate this guy did know things.

Old Daario looks exactly like the sort of twat-end that would have blue hair and a yellow beard without actually having to look that ridiculous. New Daario is just another generic bearded white guy.

Dysun

Old Daario fits the role better based on the book characterization instead of random dude with a beard

Considering they wanted to tone that down to almost nil, Nu Daario is probably the better pick

Haven't seen much on this topic in awhile and I apologize as I have not read the books(and if i'm asking in the wrong spot).

However, is there anything on Benjen Stark after he disappears? If not anything spoilers/theories on what happened to him?

Haven't seen much on this topic in awhile and I apologize as I have not read the books(and if i'm asking in the wrong spot).

However, is there anything on Benjen Stark after he disappears? If not anything spoilers/theories on what happened to him?

There are a billion theories (most of them crazy), but nothing concrete from the books.

Speevy

Banned
That spoiler is totally true, inasmuch as it's been confirmed by multiple sources. There aren't any discrepancies, and the proof keeps mounting. Heh.

It's a shame we have to wait so long for it, but that's pretty much the best season ender they could have put together.

Speevy

Banned
I just want to point out how fucking insane it is that
the Boltons have the largest army in all seven kingdoms.

That Frey dining hall scene, was that new footage or a flashback to the RW?

If you freeze frame, can't you see Lannister soldiers? That would imply new.

This is also a character used to privilege and power. He’s trained hard and excelled in his own talents and skills, but done that in the comforts of his surroundings. He’s never been to war. He’s a knight of summer, and now it’s the complete opposite. He’s never faced truly difficult challenges.

Wasn't book Loras a pretty seasoned warrior?

Speevy

Banned
Wasn't book Loras a pretty seasoned warrior?

D and D haven't told Finn Jones about book Loras.

"So listen, you're this knight who rides around on horses giving ladies flowers, but at night you have some of the gayest sex that ever did sex. I mean you are this show's gay character, so we have to really gay it up. You care about nothing but clothes and gay sex. I'm sending some hunky dudes to your house so you can method act. We need this part perfect."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Old Daario fits the role better based on the book characterization instead of random dude with a beard

Considering they wanted to tone that down to almost nil, Nu Daario is probably the better pick

Yeah. The old actor was perfect for book Daario, but since they changed his role on the show into something more straightforward and generic, the new actor was a better fit. Still, it was an extremely jarring recast - one of the worst I've seen.

Speevy

Banned
I think George probably called D and D and apologized for writing Daario Naharis after they chose Ed Skrein.

"I'm so, so sorry. I didn't think you guys would do it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom