• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
I think I've said this before, but I've soured a lot on Maisie over the years. I loved her performance in the first two seasons.

Now, I know the show isn't exactly as period-accurate as the books, but Maisie acts way too "modern" now. I have a similar problem with Brienne's character in the show. She's written with modern society and movements in mind.

This doesn't bother me so much because I feel like the show is pretty consistent in modernizing everyone. The show treats pretty much everyone, at least among the protagonists, as modern people dropped into this world. I feel like that's been a kind of necessary component in connecting with the mainstream audience well enough to be as big of a hit as they have been. The only place where I feel like it's gotten a little heavy-handed is the Faith's extreme homophobia, and even then that's mostly because it's detracted from spending time on their populism, and because it's hinged so heavily on their bizarre tokenization of the Loras character.

Kettch

So, season 5 is obviously the weakest, but what exactly is the problem with Stannis ?

It wasn't out of character to let Shireen be burnt. Actually it was the culmination of his whole arc, it was the act that sealed his fate: he was no Saviour, and already dead inside.

Yes. Stannis Baratheon, the man who held out for a year under siege at Storm's End, forced to eat the horses, the cats, the dogs and then even the rats. It makes total sense that he burned his daughter because it was snowing.

Sproink

Banned
Yes. Stannis Baratheon, the man who held out for a year under siege at Storm's End, forced to eat the horses, the cats, the dogs and then even the rats. It makes total sense that he burned his daughter because it was snowing.

Didnt GRRM tell them this happened

Real Hero

Show Stannis just sucked, apart from a few moments in season 5 when they remembered they had to make people give one shit about his death. I think hey regretted adding him to the show after season 2, at least his screen time can be given to characters they care about now

Tiktaalik

The former Stannis at Storm's End didn't have someone whispering in his ear that he was Azor Ahai reborn.

Iksenpets

Banned

Shireen burns, that much is known. But the actual context of that burning has to be completely different, given that the trapped-in-the-snow plotline is ongoing in the book, but Stannis has no access to Shireen to burn her even if he wanted. Either Selyse and Mel burn her on their own early in Winds in response to Ramsay's letter claiming Stannis is dead, or Stannis reunites with them at some later point and burns her under, presumably, much more dire circumstances.

Spoilers based on supposed rumors and speculation
Roose is SO fucking dead at the hands of Ramsay.

Also McElhatton is the coolest guy, such a great interview.

Yeah Roose is a gonner.

Really wish they used MM more in season 5. Roose could (should) have easily been the Tywin to Ramsay's Joffrey, just to take the edge off what I've seen called "Ramsay-Sue", which is a hilariously perfect name for him.

Tower of Joy
flashback?

Makes me think
Jon really is dead, to explain his parentage this way instead of him finding out, Bran does for us.

Quite the opposite, otherwise it would have no relevance and there would be no point to explaining it. Wouldn't make sense from a storytelling or filming perspective.

News Bot

Banned
The former Stannis at Storm's End didn't have someone whispering in his ear that he was Azor Ahai reborn.

Matters absolutely nought. He didn't think too highly of the prophecy, he just carried it out as his duty. In the books he denies Melisandre when she tries to burn people to turn the tide of his North advancement in his favor.

Maxrunner

What would be the point of Jon really being dead?After all that scene with the king of the white walkers....i mean if he is dead who's gonna tell everyone about what type of weapons can kill them?

mantidor

I get the "rushed" feeling, but I don't think it makes each scene bad individually. I mean it was still enjoyable, far from "garbage" I'm reading everywhere.

I actually agree, the scenes by themselves are good, but a story like this needs consistency, because otherwise things fall apart, and the end result is awful, for example this:

I swear I'm almost sure this was even mentioned in the show. Not up to that detail but they for sure mention Storm's End and how dire the siege was there.

Yeah Roose is a gonner.

Really wish they used MM more in season 5. Roose could (should) have easily been the Tywin to Ramsay's Joffrey, just to take the edge off what I've seen called "Ramsay-Sue", which is a hilariously perfect name for him.

Yup. I'm so confident it's going to happen that I'll go so far as to predict (again, spoilers based on supposed rumors)
the two named characters that will be flayed and displayed before the battle of Winterfell will be Walda and Roose.

Thaedolus

So there's a 360 video of the intro posted on the official GoT facebook page. I decided to look up when the camera panned under the Titan of Braavos...

ebPPQnB.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If Stannis never appeared on the show would anything be different? Feels like his whole arc was just wasted time.

I think it mostly was, but he and his army did at least help the Night's Watch defeat the wildlings. Also, bringing Melisandre north was important (although if Stannis had been excised from the show, they could have easily found another way to bring her into the fold).

So there's a 360 video of the intro posted on the official GoT facebook page. I decided to look up when the camera panned under the Titan of Braavos...

lol

Puppen

Banned

Only in the vaguest possible statement that D&D made after the episode, "George told us about this" I think it was. Could mean anything, likelihood being that Shireen is burned at some point in the story and they shifted its placement in the timeline. That being said, the show has been routinely killing characters still alive in the books, not featuring important book characters, creating new ones, etc. so the idea of it spoiling the books or somehow revealing what GRRM has planned seems absurd to me. It's a fan fiction ever since S5, completely on its own path.

Iksenpets

Banned
New video from Because Geek, great detail. Super spoilery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMduhcKu5tw&nohtml5=False

So.

What do you guys think of the possibility of Sansa and an army dropping in on the Freys and Lannisters? Otherwise, she wouldn't have much to do in the intervening episodes before the Battle of Bastards except for connect with Petyr.

Timing doesn't really doesn't line up for Sansa to go to the Riverlands. Jaime doesn't get to Riverrun until at least episode 8, and Sansa has to be at Winterfell in 9. And it seems like she'll have plenty to do with her trip to Bear Island, reuniting with Jon, sending Brienne to find Arya in the Riverlands, meeting back up with Petyr and the Vale troops, etc

Moff

Timing doesn't really doesn't line up for Sansa to go to the Riverlands. Jaime doesn't get to Riverrun until at least episode 8, and Sansa has to be at Winterfell in 9. And it seems like she'll have plenty to do with her trip to Bear Island, reuniting with Jon, sending Brienne to find Arya in the Riverlands, meeting back up with Petyr and the Vale troops, etc
You really think Littlefinger would not let her use his teleporter?

Pluto

... so the idea of it spoiling the books or somehow revealing what GRRM has planned seems absurd to me. It's a fan fiction ever since S5, completely on its own path.
No matter what you think of the show, it's not fan fiction, that's factually wrong.

No matter what you think of the show, it's not fan fiction, that's factually wrong.

Well part of it kinda is. :p
They omitted huge parts, completely turned characters on their heads (e.g. Ellaria being an aggressive murderous bitch instead of a concerned mother who wants to protect her children and keep the peace), introduced new characters some of which feel a bit Mary-Sueish (looking at you, mighty Olly), added new storyline bits some of which are outright silly.

Obviously the biggest plot points will be the same (e.g. Jon's revival and parentage, who will end up on the Iron Throne if anyone, how the story concludes), but I expect the way the show will get there to be entirely different from how the books will get there.

So.

What do you guys think of the possibility of Sansa and an army dropping in on the Freys and Lannisters? Otherwise, she wouldn't have much to do in the intervening episodes before the Battle of Bastards except for connect with Petyr.

Argh. This whole Sansa-Stoneheart stuff needs to die. It's no fucking wonder that this show has gone off the rails when so many people think that being a murderer=good character. Book-Sansa didn't stand a chance.

I don't get these comments from Sophie Turner about using what she's learned from Littlefinger/Margaery when 1. all she learned from them is how to be manipulative and underhanded and 2. she never exhibited any of those skills in season 5 when they really would have been useful.

I don't get it, is she going to trick the North into fighting for her family again? Surely that's unnecessary? I'm pretty sure they'd fight for her when she turns up on their doorstep saying she's a Stark.

No, it's a licensed adaptation of the novels, it's not fan fiction and calling it that is silly. It makes you sound like a fanboy who can't deal with change even if the criticism itself is valid.

I don't think the poster who said it's fan fiction believes it's actual fan fiction. I think what he's trying to say is that some of these things I mentioned have the same quality as that of (bad) fan fiction.
Like, come on. Use some common sense, mate.

Puppen

Banned
No, it's a licensed adaptation of the novels, it's not fan fiction and calling it that is silly. It makes you sound like a fanboy who can't deal with change even if the criticism itself is valid.

Who cares that it's licensed? All that means is GRRM is cashing fat checks. In what practical way at this point in the show is it still an adaptation if it's adapting books that haven't even been written, and altering the purpose and intent behind what was written? I have no problem at all with change and cutting things out for the strongest possible film/show version of a source material, but that's not what's happening here. They're working off of what basically amounts to bullet points by GRRM for the major plot beats he wants to hit.

Ishan

Btw what's with all the hate towards the show not incorporating book elements well (e.g. stannins characterization or northern house affiliations e.g. umbers etc ) or up to book readers satisfaction ? Was it the same with the potter movies ? I thought the movies were pretty scrappy but never made a fuss about it thought you like books you like them movies aren't as good big deal .... different formats don't need to be that close ... and before anyone says tv show vs movies refer lotr.... just don't get the absolute vitriol ... get over it don't like the show books are much better then not a big deal

Ishan

Who cares that it's licensed? All that means is GRRM is cashing fat checks. In what practical way at this point in the show is it still an adaptation if it's adapting books that haven't even been written, and altering the purpose and intent behind what was written? I have no problem at all with change and cutting things out for the strongest possible film/show version of a source material, but that's not what's happening here.
Then don't watch the show just read the books .... or if you think you're the best judge of these things go take up writing yourself for a tv series trying to compress that much material into that many scenes and doing it yearly as opposed to the 5 years grrm takes per book

Speevy

Banned
Who cares that it's licensed? All that means is GRRM is cashing fat checks. In what practical way at this point in the show is it still an adaptation if it's adapting books that haven't even been written, and altering the purpose and intent behind what was written? I have no problem at all with change and cutting things out for the strongest possible film/show version of a source material, but that's not what's happening here. They're working off of what basically amounts to bullet points by GRRM for the major plot beats he wants to hit.

This show has a better chance of pleasing you than GRRM has of finishing all the ASOIAF books before his death.

Puppen

Banned
This show has a better chance of pleasing you than GRRM has of finishing all the ASOIAF books before his death.

Taking bets on whether or not GRRM is going to die before finishing the series is disgusting and shouldn't even be a part of this conversation.

Ishan

+1 :p God I go into the book threads cause I like the book background to the show discussions but it's all just ppl complaining non stop annoying after a point ... Btw for those interested in non snarky discussions apart from becausegeek history westeros have been having some decent q and as .... James or thrones is okay I just think James goes off the deep end with his theories ...radio westeros is joining the history Westeros ppl once show starts also ....akton tamko and enchantment of eternity are decent but once in a while one of them think enchantment goes off on rants about YouTube commenters ... teflon tv is okayish I guess just find his cheche cheche whatever that thing he does kinda hookey

Speevy

Banned
Taking bets on whether or not GRRM is going to die before finishing the series is disgusting and shouldn't even be a part of this conversation.

I'm not taking bets at all. If his end of the bargain is to finish his books and to provide readers with the definitive experience of the series, he is not on pace to finish them.

We all die. GRRM just has people who hold up his books as sacred tomes at the expense of the show. As long as that is the case, I'm going to keep expecting him to produce all the books he promised. Period.

Apt101

I really hope GRRM rallies and finishes the series quickly. It really seems like he doesn't have much interest in doing so though.

Moff

I definitely think we will never see anything past TWOW from GRRM

not even because GRRM might die, but I just have the feeling he either does not enjoy it anymore or he is simply no longer up to it. let's not forget that AFFC/ADWD were a lot worse than the first three books.

Ishan

I really hope GRRM rallies and finishes the series quickly. It really seems like he doesn't have much interest in doing so though.

Eh I expect winds around end of 2016 early 17 and a solid 4-5 year wait till dream of spring . Unless it ends up being 8 novels in which case guess 3 or 4 for each

Edit
To moff above ... could be maybe he needs some time off guess that's why he did the whole dunk and egg thing .. he's been at this what 20 plus years almost? must be tiring . Glad the show runners know how it ends so we at least get a general outline of the end by 2018...

I don't think that's true. Only recently did he say he turned down the opportunity to write an episode for season 6 because he didn't want to take a month off from writing TWOW.

He clearly struggles to stick to deadlines and often underestimates how fast he can write but I don't think he's lazy or careless about his books. I'm certain we'll see TWOW released at some point in the show's run, but ADOS may remain a Dream forever.

Nodnol

So.

Great video.

I can't see Sansa heading there herself, like others have said, the timing doesn't work out.

I think she'll send Brienne as a sort of emissary. I'm fucking hyped about the possibilities. I would imagine whilst Brienne is down in the Riverlands, Sansa is calling for, either directly or by proxy, the Vale troops.

Is it possible that episode 9 will be the climax of the Riverlands plot this season, as well as the battle at Winterfell? Too much happening at once? Is that too much Stark win in one episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom