• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the thing (and my intention isn't to instigate another tirade against Linda), she continues to earn money directly from the show, while simultaneously lampooning it. It's baffling.

Yeah I had no idea that was the situation, and in fact questioned what people where referring to with HBO's relationship with her when it came up a week or two ago. Obviously, we don't need to go down this road discussing Linda again, but yeah that's a very odd situation to say the least.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Reddit detectives going to work.

AmrAd7r.png

So they found a filming location. Is that a place seen in the show before? Not to diminish the work, gotta be hard to find the exact tree, especially one as small as that.

About Book/Show Shireen, I have a feeling (and I'm pretty sure it's one of the main theories going), is that the same fate will happen, but in connection with Jon's resurrection.

In that, I could see a reason to shift when she dies. It'd be a kick in the pants if the resurrection of a/the hero character comes at the hands of a sacrifice of a child.

So they found a filming location. Is that a place seen in the show before? Not to diminish the work, gotta be hard to find the exact tree, especially one as small as that.

About Book/Show Shireen, I have a feeling (and I'm pretty sure it's one of the main theories going), is that the same fate will happen, but in connection with Jon's resurrection.

In that, I could see a reason to shift when she dies. It'd be a kick in the pants if the resurrection of a/the hero character comes at the hands of a sacrifice of a child.

That picture is from the godswood where Sansa and Ramsay got married.

This is the thing (and my intention isn't to instigate another tirade against Linda), she continues to earn money directly from the show, while simultaneously lampooning it. It's baffling.
Last year Linda made it sound like she was completely done with watching the show so maybe she quit translating it as well.

Mel is going to read the Bastard Letter and burn Shireen to bring back Stannis but it will revive Jon instead. Actually she will probably burn baby Sam first.

Mel: I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R’hllor shows me only Snow

Nah, Mel has already possibly realized that Stannis wasn't her Azor'Ahai mannis after all and the visions were just sending her to Jon the whole time.

Massa

It won't happen like it did in the show. Mel, Selyse and Shireen are still at castle black. If they get back together, the urgency of their situation won't be the same due to reasons.

It will probably be entirely different circumstances, maybe Stannis fights the Others and wights in the books (he does build up a lot of dead bodies around him, would be fitting they would be his end). I still bet anything the end result will be the same - he will sacrifice his daughter.

Stannis is influenced by both Mel and Davos in the books, fans like it when Davos prevails, and that's how things are moving towards at this point. Mel's influence is much stronger over him in the show, I always thought that was due to D&D not "getting him", I now think D&D knowing the conclusion colored their view of Stannis from the very beginning.

NeoGiff

The only thing I care about is how Olly will die. He better not have a redemption arc!

After initially being sentenced to death, he proves his worth for the war to come by demonstrating an inordinate talent for finding and cooking potatoes in the harshest of conditions.

No one cooked them like his mum, but since she's dead, Olly's spuds are the next best thing.

Puppen

Banned
Public figures generally aren't permitted to trash talk their employers on social media or their websites.

Not unless they're hard to replace. Apparently she is, which is why she gets away with it. Same goes for famous actors publicly blasting directors. She's also probably not known enough for HBO to consider it a problem.

Speevy

Banned
Nerp, she was involved with a World of Ice and Fire with her husband.

They official help for GRRM.

All the more reason for how ridiculous the whole thing is.

She could have made a 10 hour video on how bad season 5 was, but what she did instead was make a video about how she was "done with the show".

For what? The principle? She has a job solely because of this show's popularity.

Puppen

Banned
All the more reason for how ridiculous the whole thing is.

She could have made a 10 hour video on how bad season 5 was, but what she did instead was make a video about how she was "done with the show".

For what? The principle? She has a job solely because of this show's popularity.

Umm, she was working for GRRM long before the show was ever a thing.

Also, she can be "done with the show" and still work on it.

Speevy

Banned
Umm, she was working for GRRM long before the show was ever a thing.

Also, she can be "done with the show" and still work on it.

To your first comment, her notoriety is because of the show. Her website's popularity is because of the show.

And no, you can't disavow something and still work on it. She can criticize it, but once she calls real people "talentless hacks", she should not receive money from said people.

Puppen

Banned
To your first comment, her notoriety is because of the show. Her website's popularity is because of the show.

And no, you can't disavow something and still work on it. She can criticize it, but once she calls real people "talentless hacks", she should not receive money from said people.

The website was popular before the show, and that's nice that you think employees shouldn't be allowed to speak out against their employers but luckily we have a thing called free speech. HBO is free to fire her if they want to (if she's even employed by them in the first place, this is the first I'm hearing about it).

When will the Season 6 OT go live? And who's doing it? Cornballer or Steely, I assume?

Sunday I guess, I should probably start working on it lol...

Speaking of which, does anyone want to whip up a couple of header banners (one for this thread, one for non-book readers) in the next couple of days?

NeoGiff

Sunday I guess, I should probably start working on it lol...

Speaking of which, does anyone want to whip up a couple of header banners (one for this thread, one for non-book readers) in the next couple of days?

If I had the necessary skills I'd love to, but unfortunately I don't.

In an exclusive interview with Variety, showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss said they are weighing wrapping up the Emmy-winning saga of Westeros and the battle for the Iron Throne with just 13 more episodes once this sixth season is over: seven episodes for season 7; six for the eighth and potential final season.

“I think we’re down to our final 13 episodes after this season. We’re heading into the final lap,” said Benioff. “That’s the guess, though nothing is yet set in stone, but that’s what we’re looking at.”
Wow, only 13 more.

This talk of shorter final seasons makes me wonder why the hell they brought back characters/plots that were cut from last season. It really doesn't feel like they've planned this well.

Speevy

Banned
This talk of shorter final seasons makes me wonder why the hell they brought back characters/plots that were cut from last season. It really doesn't feel like they've planned this well.

They've planned it perfectly. Season 6 is
a revenge fantasy for Stark fans
and the final seasons are the whitewalker/human battle.

Iksenpets

Banned
Wow, only 13 more.

After their years of insisting on seven seasons, I'm skeptical of their ability to estimate this in advance. They probably will come in under a full two seasons, but 13 is probably low balling it.

Also goddammit Speevy that header image

I feel like their aim is to adapt some approximation of most of the book scenes people have read and have in their head, and once that's done jump pretty much straight to the ending. They're going to wrap up the handful of iconic moments that got left out of previous seasons with the Tower of Joy, some version of the Davos/Manderly scene happening at Bear Island with the Mormonts, Kingsmoot, etc. and then that wall is coming down right now and Dany is zipping across the sea let's do this shit.

I feel like their aim is to adapt some approximation of most of the book scenes people have read and have in their head, and once that's done jump pretty much straight to the ending. They're going to wrap up the handful of iconic moments that got left out of previous seasons with the Tower of Joy, some version of the Davos/Manderly scene happening at Bear Island with the Mormonts, Kingsmoot, etc. and then that wall is coming down right now and Dany is zipping across the sea let's do this shit.

You're probably right, but it really seems like they've just been taking this show year to year. If they wanted to do this they really should have cut more aggressively because the pacing is going to be a nightmare if they intend to conclude this in 23 more episodes.

Speevy

Banned
You're probably right, but it really seems like they've just been taking this show year to year. If they wanted to do this they really should have cut more aggressively because the pacing is going to be a nightmare if they intend to conclude this in 23 more episodes.

Rome was able to shove 2 seasons and about 10 years into a handful of episodes. Of course, those were better writers.

I'm sure they've been fighting HBO tooth and nail on how much longer they want the show to keep going, and that's affected the writing, and what they cut or keep in, resulting in kind of a mess. Keep in mind, what the fuck does HBO even HAVE when this show's over?

True, but the show still suffered for it.
Yeah second season of Rome suffered from it for sure (although I still enjoyed it). Of course that was also due to the show being cut short.
I'm sure they've been fighting HBO tooth and nail on how much longer they want the show to keep going, and that's affected the writing, and what they cut or keep in, resulting in kind of a mess. Keep in mind, what the fuck does HBO even HAVE when this show's over?
It'll leave a big vacuum for sure, they really need Westworld to be a hit (especially with True Detective's season 2 leaving the show's future in doubt and Vinyl being a spectacular ratings bomba).

Faddy

Banned

They have not been taking the show year to year. They have been planning in advance for a whole run of seven seasons since they were renewed for season 4 and have the entire story roughly plotted.

The pacing should be fine unless you think George will go beyond 7 books. With major cuts to Dorne and the Griffs, simplifying Meereen, and finishing up Stannis' arc their should be hefty amounts of Winds they have already covered or won't be adapted.

They have not been taking the show year to year. They have been planning in advance for a whole run of seven seasons since they were renewed for season 4 and have the entire story roughly plotted.

The pacing should be fine unless you think George will go beyond 7 books. With major cuts to Dorne and the Griffs, simplifying Meereen, and finishing up Stannis' arc their should be hefty amounts of Winds they have already covered or won't be adapted.

George will likely go beyond 7 books, and even if he doesn't we're still probably talking about ~850k words in the final two. That's a lot of material to skip over, especially when they're going back and adapting material from AFFC for whatever reason. And it's not like this show hasn't suffered from pacing problems in the past even when they had the room to be more deliberate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom