• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Aside from killing him, I think the only way to end Theon's story is to have him live out the rest of his days in peace somewhere.

New S6 details from TV guide:
D&D: Season 6 also features the most complex digital effects in Game’s history. A Belfast soundstage was converted to a giant green-screen room with motion-control rigs lifting actors 40 feet in the air, lights and cameras swirling around them. “The cast was kind of going on a Disneyland attraction all day,” Weiss says. “I wanted a ride!” The jaw-dropping sequences come to life in a story arc that is truly secret—the plot going beyond the bestselling novels by George R.R. Martin. “It wasn’t like, ‘We’re past the books now. What the hell do we do?’” executive producer David Benioff says. “We’ve been talking about where we’re heading for a long time. Specifics have to be fleshed out, but we know where the series ends. We know the landmarks.”

Davos: “He learns that Shireen Baratheon, the princess who was like his foster daughter, was burned alive. So he’s not concerned with who wears the crown any- more. He’s concerned for citizens of the kingdom.”

Mereen: he two dragons Daenerys left behind. “They come into play more than once,” Weiss says. “They don’t like being cooped up in dark, underground
chambers.”

Bran: The teen excels under the tutelage of the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow), but his ego quickly swells. In a Belfast soundstage, the Raven’s lair is a tangled mass of roots where the two are shooting a top-secret scene that includes a revelation sure to break fans’ hearts.

Arya: “She’s been caught up on becoming [anonymous], but I don’t think she can ever fully commit to it. She’s too curious about the world.” Arya’s new companions bring out her joyful side, at least temporarily. “So many episodes went by where we didn’t see her smile,” Williams says. “But you will see the Arya everyone fell in love with in Season 1.”

Sansa: “It’s the phoenix from the ashes,” Turner says. “This season, she’s a leader.” And once Sansa starts playing the game, watch out. “She’s had the best mentors: Cersei, Margaery Tyrell [Natalie Dormer], Littlefinger [Aidan Gillen],” Turner says. “She manipulates and gets what she wants through plotting.” What does Sansa want? “Revenge on anyone who’s done harm to her or her family,” Turner reveals. And, of course, she wants the Starks to dominate the North once again.

Speevy

Banned
Bran: The teen excels under the tutelage of the Three-Eyed Raven (Max von Sydow), but his ego quickly swells. In a Belfast soundstage, the Raven’s lair is a tangled mass of roots where the two are shooting a top-secret scene that includes a revelation sure to break fans’ hearts.

R+L not J?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
R+L not J?
Dany is the niece and Jon is the uncle.

SAmuhp3.jpg

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I would think Sansa feels she is square with Theon, which is something that would preclude Jon killing him.

He is definitely going to wherever his sister is, but I have to wonder who the hell the Greyjoys are even fighting.
]

Hmm that does rule out Jon.

Well as someone said Yara going to Meeren, with Euron fighting Hightower like in the book.

Liam Cunningham confirms meeting with the Mormonts:
Cunningham confirmed exactly who he is talking to in that scene. “Who I'm saying that to is a fabulous young actress who you haven't met yet, who's about to come in, who's Lyanna Mormont,” said Cunningham. “He's explaining the situation to her because certain other individuals are making a mess of their parlay. He's very good at lateral thinking and explaining the situation, as we know.”

That confirms Lyanna Mormont instead of some random Mormont lord people were thinking they were gonna have.

NeoGiff

Whatever Davos is getting up to is one of the things I'm most looking forward to this season. I had never considered him stepping up and becoming a more central character, but now that it's happening, I'm really intrigued. Liam Cunningham is a great actor.

Iksenpets

Banned
Since there are no definitive spoilers floating around on this, where do you guys see Theon ending up at the end of the season?

Theon seems like he's almost definitely ending the season in Meereen as part of Yara's fleet. The big question is how exactly he and Yara reunite.

This of course sets up the touching season 7 plot where Grey Worm teaches Theon to live without a dick.

Liam Cunningham confirms meeting with the Mormonts:

That confirms Lyanna Mormont instead of some random Mormont lord people were thinking they were gonna have.

The reference to there being other people in the parlay probably means this is the scene where we're getting all our minor Northern lords with the brief Manderly cameo the casting calls seemed to imply.

RaidenZR

Theon is going with Yara to Volantis (we an see her there from the trailers), and probably thence to Slaver's Bay.

Is a visit to Volantis confirmed? Seems weird for the Iron Born to go across the Narrow Sea when Dany already had the ships Viccy is taking to her in the books, which in turn is why we all assumed he had been cut from the show.

Aside from killing him, I think the only way to end Theon's story is to have him live out the rest of his days in peace somewhere.

Man, initially I was excited they were doing the Ironborn stuff this year, but it feels like a year too late. Storyline-wise why does this all sound like a failure waiting to happen? I imagine Euron is going to take out Balon and then propose the Ironborn follow him in taking out or marrying Dany to gain dragons... but in the show why would this even matter? At the point in which this would probably occur the White Walker threat will probably be spreading throughout the north, or at least the confirmation of them. That would be more important, no?

I think this is all going to be this year's Dorne sideplot in that, it feels disconnected and fragmented in execution, and then by the end we were asking what the point was. The fundamental changes to the participants make this look completely strange when wearing my speculation goggles.

Iksenpets

Banned
I-It's really happening? :(

It's totally not happening. My money is Thoros is here to usher Blackfish into the Stoneheart role, after he escapes from Riverrun.

Man, initially I was excited they were doing the Ironborn stuff this year, but it feels like a year too late. Storyline-wise why does this all sound like a failure waiting to happen? I imagine Euron is going to take out Balon and then propose the Ironborn follow him in taking out or marrying Dany to gain dragons... but in the show why would this even matter? At the point in which this would probably occur the White Walker threat will probably be spreading throughout the north, or at least the confirmation of them. That would be more important, no?

I think this is all going to be this year's Dorne sideplot in that, it feels disconnected and fragmented in execution, and then by the end we were asking what the point was. The fundamental changes to the participants make this look completely strange when wearing my speculation goggles.

Euron's kind of a mystery because I don't know how hard they lean into the magic angle with him. He could be a full blow magic-horn-toting wizard, but I think it's also possible they drop the entire Dany connection and just have him focus on raiding the Reach, maybe only bring the magic to the forefront once he's found something in Oldtown. I'm not too worried about the Ironborn stuff though
because as a Yara/Theon centered plot, I think the basic arc of Balon's assassination, defeat at the Kingsmoot, fleeing into exile, and then deciding to join Dany as a last ditch effort to retake their home makes for a pretty decent story for those two.

Speevy

Banned
Something has to happen at the Twins. I find it hard to believe that it's just a dinner. Of course, a full-on red wedding would hit a sour note and come off as repetitive.

Sean C

Is a visit to Volantis confirmed? Seems weird for the Iron Born to go across the Narrow Sea when Dany already had the ships Viccy is taking to her in the books, which in turn is why we all assumed he had been cut from the show.
You can see Yara making out with a prostitute with a Volantene tattoo in the trailer.

Speevy

Banned
The iron islanders have always had their own agenda that was separate from the goals of every other character. Balon wanted to take the north while Robb was distracted.

The Dorne plot didn't work because the portrayal of the books was misguided and poorly acted.

We already know that the iron islands stuff is usually handled well, and unless Theon's baby uncle stinks the joint up, I think we're in for a decent storyline.

RaidenZR

The iron islanders have always had their own agenda that was separate from the goals of every other character. Balon wanted to take the north while Robb was distracted.

The Dorne plot didn't work because the portrayal of the books was misguided and poorly acted.

We already know that the iron islands stuff is usually handled well, and unless Theon's baby uncle stinks the joint up, I think we're in for a decent storyline.

What? No, it's not without fault. May I remind you of Yara's attempted rescue / Ramsey encounter?

The Iron Islands stuff already falls under the same slot going into the season, in terms of its players being reduced or changed (in motivations), and the timetable. Like what the hell has Yara been doing for two years? Even in nebulous time frame of the show events, it feels like so much time has elapsed that they can't just expect us to believe she was just hanging with poppa Balon by the fire.

Obviously we know the existing Iron Islanders previously cast can certainly act (Theon, Balon, Yara), but we'll see how that plays out in any future scenes.

Speevy

Banned
What? No it's not. Yara's rescue and Ramsey encounter?

The Iron Islands stuff already falls under the same slot going into the season, in terms of its players being reduced or changed (in motivations), and the timetable. Like what the hell has Yara been doing for two years? Even in nebulous time frame of the show events, it feels like so much time has elapsed that they can't just expect us to believe she was just hanging with poppa Balon by the fire.

Obviously we know the existing Iron Islanders we do have cast can act, but we'll see how that plays out.

Do you know what the word "usually" means?

The stuff that's actually set in the iron islands is outstanding.

Plus, and I'll say this again, Alfie Allen can carry any scene he's in. This Pilou Asbaek guy better carry his weight. Not sure how you actually spell his name using an American keyboard.

Fuzzy

What? No, it's not without fault. May I remind you of Yara's attempted rescue / Ramsey encounter?

Obviously we know the existing Iron Islanders previously cast can certainly act (Theon, Balon, Yara), but we'll see how that plays out in any future scenes.
She's been training with
Cesar Millan

RaidenZR

Do you know what the word "usually" means?

The stuff that's actually set in the iron islands is outstanding.

Plus, and I'll say this again, Alfie Allen can carry any scene he's in. This Pilou Asbaek guy better carry his weight. Not sure how you actually spell his name using an American keyboard.

I do know what "usually" means, but I'm speaking about the storyline involving the Iron Islanders, not just stuff depicted literally on the Iron Islands. Yara's attempted rescue is a perfect example of how to fuck it up, and you only need one fuck up to start a domino effect.

And even good actors can't save an entire subplot if it's founded in poor planning and execution. I like Alfie Allen too, and think he can pull off shit like no one's business. I also like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Jerome Flynn, and Alexander Siddig, and think they all bolstered the scenes they were in together... but they can't save poor setup and plotting.

Speevy

Banned
She's been training with
Cesar Millan

The battle of the bastards actually begins with a newly trained Yara assuring Ramsay that neither she nor her men fear his dogs any longer.

She doesn't count on the Ramsay's battle pigs.

Speevy

Banned
He looks the part, but none of the clips I've seen from other stuff he's in suggest someone who inspires fear. His characters seem pretty chill.

Iksenpets

Banned
He looks the part, but none of the clips I've seen from other stuff he's in suggest someone who inspires fear. His characters seem pretty chill.

I just know Watchers reported that internal buzz on set is very positive on the guy who's playing Euron, but who knows how much that sort of thing can be trusted. I'll probably need to whole season just to get used to the mutton chops.

KahooTs

Hodor paste.

Speevy

Banned
HBO should do another one of those new cast videos like they did last year. I guess it's because all the really new people are part of secret stories.

I hope so. Otherwise D and D may have found the only way imaginable to ruin the books.

I can't imagine D&D taking a direction other than what GRRM has laid out to them there. While I think he hasn't told them a whole lot of details beyond Dance in general, I am sure he confirmed Jon's parentage. Remember when they pitched the show to George, he asked them who's Jon's parents were as a test.

FootballFan

I can't imagine D&D taking a direction other than what GRRM has laid out to them there. While I think he hasn't told them a whole lot of details beyond Dance in general, I am sure he confirmed Jon's parentage. Remember when they pitched the show to George, he asked them who's Jon's parents were as a test.

Source?

Fuzzy

It was a dumb question to ask any way. GRRM should've asked them to see their Westeros.org accounts and judged them by their posts.

FootballFan

D and D themselves, George himself. Well known thing.

Seems like something everybody already suspected back then anyway. Reading Game of Thrones a few times is probably enough to pick up on the hints without the use of other resources. D&D used the internet confirmed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom