• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

I haven't read ADWD Part 2 and I've a couple of questions:

How much of that finale actually happened in the books? Does Dany really get picked up by Dothraki again? If she does, that seems really fucking stupid.

Does Stannis really die? Again, that'd be a really fucking stupid end to a character arc spanning several books.

I guess we're to assume Sansa isn't dead? Idk, this finale totally lost me.

Honestly, I've felt really disillusioned with this season. They completely butchered the Dorne plot, didn't make Jaime look half as badass as he does in the books, and really just lost it tbh.

All of thsee characters are in totally different situations in the books.

Yeah, the length of that shot was a total troll aimed at book readers. Having it go that wastefully long without even hinting at the resurrection is actually fucking egregious.

I tried to not consider the "troll" possibility, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Does Dany really get picked up by Dothraki again?

Yes.

Does Stannis really die?

No.

No idea. The books are no help with this one, as Sansa not even in Winterfell at this point in the books.

All of thsee characters are in totally different situations in the books.

Also this. Better answer than mine. Much more succinct!

rxdco07

Spoilers GoT theory for next season:

White walkers attack Castle Black and the Night's King does the 'come at me bro thing to raise the "defeated army". One of the new undead is Jon Snow, but a flashback occurs where -before he was stabbed by Olly, he actually warged to Ghost, Jon's direwolf. Ghost/Jon sees this and wargs back to the undead corpse, thus the birth of Jon Snow the white walker aka Snow White #snowwhitetheory

suzu

Sansa's alive. Theon's alive. If they're both dead, I will laugh.

Heh. Somebody posted that photoshopped Jon with warg eyes in the other thread. :p

How much of that finale actually happened in the books? Does Dany really get picked up by Dothraki again? If she does, that seems really fucking stupid.
Yes, just after shes had a major bout of the runs.
Does Stannis really die? Again, that'd be a really fucking stupid end to a character arc spanning several books.
Not as of yet
Sansa is nowhere near Winterfell or the Boltons in the books.
Honestly, I've felt really disillusioned with this season. They completely butchered the Dorne plot, didn't make Jaime look half as badass as he does in the books, and really just lost it tbh.

Jaime is nowhere near Dorne either.

Dany is pretty accurate.

Stannis is alive and well at the end of the book. His wife and daughter stayed back at Castle Black along with Melisandre. So, no daughter burning either.

Sansa's story has probably changed the most. She is nowhere near Winterfell. I think it's safe to assume she lives.

The Dorne storyline felt kind of pointless to me this season. We'll see where they go with this, but it didn't do much for me. Which is disappointing since I was looking forward to seeing a lot of the characters from Dorne on screen.

Ark

Thanks a lot guys, I'll have to make sure I read ADWD part 2 at some point. Maybe when they announce a release date for Winds of Winter.

Those altar boys wearing nothing but linen cloths and armed with billyclubs were too much for the Kings Guard.

In the book Kevan can't do anything either.

“Please, Uncle, take me out of here.”

“How? By force of arms?” Ser Kevan walked to the window and gazed out, frowning. “I would need to make an abbatoir of this holy place. And I do not have the men."

RedShift

Hey guys, I'm watching Elio and Linda's review and nodding in agreement.

Oh god me too. I feel like I've found Greyscale on me.

Also, not watching the episode and just reading summaries is a lot less time consuming and a lot less irritating.

dubq

Why do people think Stannis is alive? I thought that was pretty unambiguous. They cut away from Ice removing Ned's head as well. Honestly the only major characters that got visually explicit deaths were the Red Wedding crew and Viserys. The rest we were spared the actual moment of death or they weren't all that gruesome like Shae and Tywin.

Well, FWIW, you actually see Ice go through Ned's neck right before the cut-away..

On the other hand.. anyone who thinks that Sansa and Theon are dead, just.. just really need to give their head a shake. They jumped from the walls of Winterfell into a giant snowbank.

They jumped from the walls of Winterfell into a giant snowbank.

Just had a random thought. There's obviously going to be an immediate manhunt once Ramsay discovers what they did to Myranda and that they've escaped. So, let's say Brienne and Pod happen upon Sansa and Theon, and take them in.

Some time later, they are caught up to by Ramsay and 20 or so good men. Who wins? Ramsay, the infallible, or Brienne of Tarth, the greatest swordsperson in the history of television?

Who you got?

Still thinking about 'there isn't gunna be a siege lol!!!'.

I think I had turned away when it showed them coming directly from Winterfell, but I was a little confused by that.

Like, the way he says it doesn't make it SOUND like it's the impending destruction of their entire army, so I almost thought these guys were riding to their aid and they were going to CRUSH the Boltons.

Just had a random thought. There's obviously going to be an immediate manhunt once Ramsay discovers what they did to Myranda and that they've escaped. So, let's say Brienne and Pod happen upon Sansa and Theon, and take them in.

Some time later, they are caught up to by Ramsay and 20 or so good men. Who wins? Ramsay, the infallible, or Brienne of Tarth, the greatest swordsperson in the history of television?

Who you got?

That'd be about when Littlefinger and his Vale army arrive to save the day... Somehow.

Who you got?

Depends, does Ramsay have his shirt on or off?

Burt

I mean, if they wanted him dead, all they had to do was give him that final death rattle exhale and cut a second after that. We get it, he's dead, no resurrection this year. Dragging it out like that was them just saying, "Wait for it... wait for it... wait for it... HAHA PSYCHE GOTCHA"

Finally watched the season finale, I didn't like it very much, like the rest of the season I guess.

Overall, the King's Landing and Meereen parts were the ones I found the best. I had low expectations for Meereen as I didn't like these parts in the book but it's the one occurrence where straying from the books made things interesting.

Aside from Jon's (nice but useless) expedition on the other side of the Wall, the North was terrible in that it felt completely artificial. Every plot device was so large and apparent you could tell exactly what was going to happen, regardless of how much sense it made.

Dorne and Braavos just felt super long and stupid.

It's not an awful show, it still looks great, has some fine acting and is mostly enjoyable. But damn does it feel really dumb and phoned in at times.

Bad season overall. I don't like the liberties with the story they've taken. The made up Dorne arc was atrocious and Stannis' end was so lackluster and meaningless. Skipping Tyrion's horrible arc from the book made sense though, but I can see why some people are still confused about the whole ambush in the pit to the flying off on her dragon and leaving everyone behind part. It was sloppily handled.

What if previously, Brienne swears an oath of revenge for Sansa's womanhood?

By itself, that would give her the upper hand, but let's up the ante: this scenario started out as a manhunt, so we also need to account for the idea that Ramsay will have.....DOGS.

giphy.gif

btrboyev

Why do people think Stannis is alive? I thought that was pretty unambiguous. They cut away from Ice removing Ned's head as well. Honestly the only major characters that got visually explicit deaths were the Red Wedding crew and Viserys. The rest we were spared the actual moment of death or they weren't all that gruesome like Shae and Tywin.

They cut away Ned's head, but you still saw a split second of the sword going through the neck.

I really want to know what's going through Melly's and Stannis' head when everything fell apart. This episode really left me hanging

No offense Selyse

Farmboy

We literally saw Ned's head on a spike later when Joffrey made Sansa look at it.

Not to support/deny the rumors that Stannis/Myrcella/Syrio/90% of the dead characters are alive, but just pointing out that's not a very solid argument with Ned (or Robb).

Point taken, but still: we hadn't seen that head when the credits rolled on S01E09, and yet I don't recall anyone saying that maybe Ned had survived. (Though I'm sure there were such people. There always are.)

I'll concede that there is a major difference: Stannis is still alive in the books, while Ned was (and is) very clearly dead. Also, Stannis - much like Jon Snow - has been set up as a major player who's death would be an anticlimax to what had been set up as a significant arc (although one could possibly say the same thing about Ned). I honestly think that's where most of this theory that Stannis is alive comes from. But I think it's denial.

Then again, I also think Jon will somehow live, so maybe I'm in denial myself.

I really want to know what's going through Melly's and Stannis' head when everything fell apart. This episode really left me hanging

No offense Selyse

It looked like Melisandre went away because she was all pissed that Stannis wasn't reciprocating her touch. So she was probably thinking "oh well fuck you too then."

Jon's death hit me pretty hard even though I knew it was coming. Kit's definitely one of the strongest members of the cast and his performance his really improved over the season's. Surely we haven't seen the last of him.

Cersei's walk of shame was really well done. Almost exactly as I imagined it in the book and just as horrible.

Stannis' arc felt shortchanged again. If that was his death it was pretty underwhelming. They looked that outnumbered how did he even get to the woods? I doubt he would have ran from battle.

I did love the return of the Greyjoy theme when Reek suddenly reverts back to Theon. Can't say I'll miss Myranda all that much. Will be interesting to see where Theon and Sansa end up next season.

Overall I thought it was a pretty decent finale in what was a decent but not spectacular season. I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Sean C

I like how Season 5 opened with Littlefinger telling Sansa that she’s been a “bystander to tragedy” and needs to “stop running” and “avenge them”, which leads to: sulking at Winterfell doing nothing, then being raped and abused for a while, failing on two different occasions to run away, and then successfully running away after being rescued by somebody else. Why, it’s almost like this whole plot was nothing but a ridiculous fig leaf to have Sansa replace Jeyne Poole.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

What the hell do you think Benjen is.

Show watchers don't remember Benjen. It's basically a fuck you to readers.

Ha, I was checking out the HBO viewer's guide and I saw they were using that avatar pic for Olly.

KpSq0gH.jpg

I thought someone captured a goofy screencap of him in the show but it's even funnier that it's his official portrait.

Gnome

Sometimes I think show watchers don't get enough credit (especially from D&D), I watched the first three seasons before reading any books and I remembered all the characters with ease, and never had trouble following the story.

Watchers who pay attention should be their target audience, not the lowest common denominator of people who pay more attention to their phone or w/e instead of the show.

I like how Season 5 opened with Littlefinger telling Sansa that she’s been a “bystander to tragedy” and needs to “stop running” and “avenge them”, which leads to: sulking at Winterfell doing nothing, then being raped and abused for a while, failing on two different occasions to run away, and then successfully running away after being rescued by somebody else. Why, it’s almost like this whole plot was nothing but a ridiculous fig leaf to have Sansa replace Jeyne Poole.

Or it's almost like someone telling you to keep your chin up and pull yourself up by your bootstraps doesn't mean you will magically be winning from then on, especially if you're a woman in a medieval society.

Gnome

Or it's almost like someone telling you to keep your chin up and pull yourself up by your bootstraps doesn't mean you will magically be winning from then on, especially if you're a woman in a medieval society.
Seriously, people kept going on about Darth Sansa, and her becoming badass. Do people really think that much about a wardrobe change? God forbid peoples reaction if she did something truly worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom