• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Unreal 5 Demo can only been done with 10TF of GPU power & 5.5GB/s SSD" Dreams: "hold my damn beer!"

LordOfChaos

Well, you can't expect to mimic a professional tech demo with a Dreams project made from a single person in a day on his spare time.

But your point actually stands, and it's a very very interesting one: Dreams renders the scenery in a very peculiar way (it doesn't even have polygons I think?) and it handles copy/pasting on thousands of the same elements exceptionally well.
Pushed it to the limit, on PS4, it would be incredibly interesting to see how close you can get to the UE5 demo.

Which is why I didn't expect it, heh heh.

Dreams is definitely interesting. I'd like to see how close the PS4 could get to here too, but to my eyes there's definitely things in it the 8th gen has not shown itself capable of doing. And perhaps Dreams not using polygons [uses a "signed distance field" - couldn't explain it without getting a headache] would scale well for it. But that's only one side of it with the geometry, the most impressive part for me was the flythough, which was leaning heavily on what Sweeney described as a god tier storage system.

Last edited:

Miles708

Which is why I didn't expect it, heh heh.

Dreams is definitely interesting. I'd like to see how close the PS4 could get to here too, but to my eyes there's definitely things in it the 8th gen has not shown itself capable of doing. And perhaps Dreams not using polygons [uses a "signed distance field" - couldn't explain it without getting a headache] would scale well for it. But that's only one side of it with the geometry, the most impressive part for me was the flythough, which was leaning heavily on what Sweeney described as a god tier storage system.

I agree, but actually the funniest thing is that the most impressive part of the demo (the flythrough) could really be the easiest to replicate in Dreams: since it's so high-speed, it's where you can cut most of the details, and leave only the major geometry. The more I think of it, the more interesting it gets.

uses a "signed distance field" - couldn't explain it without getting a headache

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Knightime_X

Seriously are the people who're impressed watching this on their phones?
Looks nowhere near as good as the UE5 video.
textures alone are muddy af.

Someone reported me for pointing out the official console specs. Just to be clear, I have no console preference. I buy them all and mostly use the PC. I had an XB1 and sold it after a few months because all the games were on PC anyway. That's when I knew M$ was being mismanaged after the success of the Xbox 360. They took all they've learned and acted like it never happened and went back to the original Xbox ways, but worse. Xb1 should've been called XB180. Did you see what I did there?... At least the original Xbox searched out unique titles to release for it exclusively. From Software had a lot of Xbox only titles. (o)(o)

Ascend

I really don't see how. If anything OP seems to make light of the ps5 and the claim 'it can only be done on the ps5'.

Talking about clever sarcasm I think this qualifies easily:

He's clearly implying it will look better on his console(which is not true), very subtly, and people were right to call out on it in my opinion.

We don't know if it's true or not. It might be, it might not be. But it's definitely PR talk that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Pallas

Are you on drugs?

Lprcpc6.jpg

A handful of people are so absorbed right now, they can't see you were poking fun lightheartedly in the title, at Epic and the PS5's expense. Had NOTHING to do with MS. You never even mentioned MS or the XSX.

Probably but it’s a reoccurring theme with the OP I think some are tired of it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lprcpc6.jpg

Probably but it’s a reoccurring theme with the OP I think some are tired of it.

They're tired because of his perceived lean. There are others that do the very same, but lean the other way with no complaints. Reminds me of, "it's only okay when we do it" mentalities. Anywho.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I can’t understand how a light joke about two Sony machines ended up in console warring.

I hope Dreams get ported to PS5.

Jon Neu

Banned
Your newfound neutrality warrior is causing you to overcompensate/overly critical in one direction from what I have seen.

And I guess you are afraid he’s stealing your job.

Let’s see; a known Sony warrior known for his troll threads makes another thread in which he goes out of his way to state that only a machine with the specs of the PS5 can run the UE5 demo, taking advantadge of the thread to further the little proud propaganda that the UE5 has awaken in every Sony warrior.

Someone criticize that and the miriad of Sony warriors start the dogpile, like basically what happens in every other thread in which anybody doesn’t follow the official narrative.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And I guess you are afraid he’s stealing your job.

Let’s see; a known Sony warrior known for his troll threads makes another thread in which he goes out of his way to state that only a machine with the specs of the PS5 can run the UE5 demo, taking advantadge of the thread to further the little proud propaganda that the UE5 has awaken in every Sony warrior.

Someone criticize that and the miriad of Sony warriors start the dogpile, like basically what happens in every other thread in which anybody doesn’t follow the official narrative.

Show us in your Dreams where OnQ touched you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom