• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgraded my cable internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

To Shaw's 5/1Mb plan and my god it's great. It's been mentioned in a few threads and I had some time this weekend so I switched modems. While surfing is noticeably faster it's no huge thing. But downloading...

steam.jpg

This is *normal* now - I reformated my comp yesterday and downloading 5 and 6 meg files takes about 10 seconds or less if the server has some bandwidth. A 4ish meg download of Thunderbird took about 5 seconds, it ends before it really starts going. When I first started Steam it was going at about 2 but slowed down a bit, but even while that's going on surfing is pretty much unaffected.

For an extra $10 a month (if like me you get a cable/internet package) it's so worth it. If you can get it (it's available in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Victoria and Saskatoon right now) do it. I redownloaded like 5 good sized bittorrents (200 to ~500megs) last night and 4 were done 6 hours later in the morning.

J2 Cool

wow, real nice! Too bad I dont live in Canada. I got Comcast Cable though, upgraded from Yahoo DSL. Downloads were 80k b/s up to 500-600 kb/s on my downloads. Sadly my parents cancel Comcast and then get it back(long story) a week later and speed are like 300-400 kb/s. Not sure if it's site's bandwith but I doubt it. Something changed during the 2 hookups. Think the router may be different. I dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom