• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

User reviews on Steam for Elden Ring being deleted

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Ogbert

What sort of excuse is that? If Sony or MS released a game that only ran at 20 FPS on PS5 or XSX people would rightfully shit all over it, no matter how cutting edge it was.
Are you serious?

The game redefined RPGs and laid the template for gaming that’s still being copied today. We didn’t have anything to compare it to.

It was magical. No one was even aware of the frame rate.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well the entire games media has some 'splainin' to do as the NDA said don't factor in framerate issues. And most still gave a '10'. No, no one will report on that questionable reviewing as they are all part of that same group who were reviewing.

Excuse?

I told you it was cutting edge and ahead of its time. It pushed the N64 to it's limits. Only when Banjo Kazooie was released was it displaced. That ran like 20fps too. Most later games did on N64.

Theres a difference between a cutting edge game and one which is buggy. I am talking in regards to review scores.

Would you knock marks off Crysis cause most hardware can't run it because the graphics were ahead of its time?

Or Elden Ring because it looks average and has performance issues on all hardware?

Don't you see the difference?
I don't subscribe to the idea that a game has to be absolutely perfect in all aspects in order to get a perfect score to begin with. But if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't be making any exceptions. If a game is so demanding that the hardware it was designed for struggles to run it then that's not perfection. There might be some leeway here for PC games like Crysis where the developers could reasonably claim they made the game with future hardware in mind, but on a platform like the N64 that was never going to get a significant upgrade in processing power? No way.

Alphagear

Are you serious?

The game redefined RPGs and laid the template for gaming that’s still being copied today. We didn’t have anything to compare it to.

Exactly.

Zelda 64 was hardware restraint. It literally pushed the hardware to it's limit. Reason why the RAM expansion was released and the N64DD was in development. I believe the only game which exceeded it without the RAM expansion needed was Banjo Kazooie and even that ran at 20fps max.

Compare this to Elden Ring which looks average and has performance issues on all hardware. Still getting 10s.

Go figure.

Karak

Well the entire games media has some 'splainin' to do as the NDA said don't factor in framerate issues. And most still gave a '10'. No, no one will report on that questionable reviewing as they are all part of that same group who were reviewing.
No, it didn't. Looking at it right now. There is a story going around that if people asked about poor performance they were told something was coming.

Last edited:

Moochi

Wide-screen support my preciousssss
The Lord Of The Rings Ring GIF

Are you serious?

That's both debatable and besides the point. If your measuring stick is perfection in all aspects, then games shouldn't be getting a free pass for shitty performance for any reason.

Right off the gate I got hit with a bug- the game keeps disconnecting my Xbox controller (even when connected through cable). Sucks.
Also, is there an HDR option? Didnt see one.
I saw an HDR option in the settings, near the bottom of the list. I'm not at my pc right now , but I will check shortly for the exact path to it and update you then.

SaiyanRaoh

I’m not a super pixel counter or anything but I figured I’d put this up. Like everyone else, I had performance issues and the stutters were especially bad at night. I lowered and raised settings but nothing worked. Finally I decided to max everything out. After turning off the game to restart it, I got distracted and returned to it almost an hour later. The game ran perfectly. No stutters. They were completely gone. The only frame drops I got only went down to 55 fps but it was unnoticeable because of VRR. I have about 10 hours in now and it’s running the same. I’ve no idea why. I’m running Win 10 with a 3080ti with current drivers, 32GB ddr4 memory and a 11900k at stock. The game is installed on a 2TB SSD. The monitor (if it matters) is a 48in LG C1 and both Gsync and Freesync both enabled in Game mode. I don’t know if that will help anyone but I’d thought I’d put it out there.

Last edited:

Ogbert

That's both debatable and besides the point. If your measuring stick is perfection in all aspects, then games shouldn't be getting a free pass for shitty performance for any reason.
But at the time, it was perfection.

Which other console RPG was running in full 3D at a stable frame rate? In the late 1990s?

It was absolutely pushing the N64 to the limit. The problem we have here is that From just can't be arsed to actually do the technical work to optimize for each platform.

Karak

I’m not a super pixel counter or anything but I figured I’d put this up. Like everyone else, I had performance issues and the stutters were especially bad at night. I lowered and raised settings but nothing worked. Finally I decided to max everything out. After turning off the game to restart it, I got distracted and returned to it almost an hour later. The game ran perfectly. No stutters. They were completely gone. The only frame drops I got only went down to 55 fps but it was unnoticeable because of VRR. I have about 10 hours in now and it’s running the same. I’ve no idea why. I’m running Win 10 with a 3080ti with current drivers, 32GB ddr4 memory and a 11900k at stock. The game is installed on a 2TB SSD. The monitor (if it matters) is a 48in LG C1 and both Gsync and Freesync both enabled in Game mode. I don’t know if that will help anyone but I’d thought I’d put it out there.
This is good news to have! The devs state they know its a big issue and are looking at it but knowing at least some folks are getting an experience closer to my own with the original patch makes me happy. The game is truly great

nemiroff

Gold Member
I guess we all suspected this because of FS' past history. The stutters and freezes is however fucking with my brain, it's 2022 and in this day and age we're more or less used to flawless performance on high end rigs in these types of titles, so that's also kinda contributes to the issues sticking out like a sore thumb. With that said, I'm sort of enjoying playing the game more than being annoyed by the technical issues, so I'm just gonna press on either way.

Edit: Ah, this quickly turned into a PC vs console war, how predictable..

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am asking you to correct your post to what actually happened and what I stated. Thanks
What i meant to say, is that you where really positive in the initial video then afterwards you made another video warning people and linking to the new video about issues. Changing the title too. It changed the overal tone. And that felt a bit weird. Unlike this guy

It surprised me coming from you. As you are pretty direct in all of your videos. And this felt weird.

Karak

What i meant to say, is that you where really positive in the initial video then afterwards you made another video warning people and linking to the new video about issues. Changing the title too. It changed the overal tone. And that felt a bit weird. Unlike this guy

It surprised me coming from you. As you are pretty direct in all of your videos. And this felt weird.

That is not what you say in the post.
And in that video I clearly describe how the situation occurred.
There should be no surprise. It literally is very clear.

you wrote
"He added the pinned post later.
Now why the fuck did he agreed with making a positive review in the first place knowing the game was buggy af?
Only to add the other video just before launch?
ACG is one of the reviewers i still trust but this shit taste bad.

Was it because of promises by the devs?
I really think more independent reviewers should fucking punish devs for releasing buggy shit and just rate good games below 6 because that is how publishers will listen,
SHIT METACRITIC SCORES.

Anyway i hope it will be ok on ps5 it feels kinda bad supporting the publisher knowing how they treat pc gamers."

Those videos explain that.

"Why they fuck did he agreed to make a positive review knowing the game was buggy."
Answer- I played on the original explained retail version with less bugs and performance issues

"Only to add the other video?"
Because the patch came and I tested it. And modified information changes a situation/

"Was it because of promised by the devs?"
No I state clearly there were no promises nor any indication of another patch officially.

Last edited:
But at the time, it was perfection.

Which other console RPG was running in full 3D at a stable frame rate? In the late 1990s?

It was absolutely pushing the N64 to the limit. The problem we have here is that From just can't be arsed to actually do the technical work to optimize for each platform.
No it wasn't. Everyone knew the game didn't perform well even back then. I'm sure reviewers would have really appreciated it if it ran at 30 FPS, but for whatever reason they decided that 20 was good enough, which is perfectly fine.

But that's exactly my point. If it was alright for reviewers to hand out perfect scores for OOT in 1998 because they thought it ran well enough, then it should be just as acceptable for reviewers to do the same thing for Elden Ring in 2022.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That is not what you say in the post.
And in that video I clearly describe how the situation occurred.
There should be no surprise. It literally is very clear.
Yes after the second video it’s clear.
Will add it to my post 👋

Ribi

Well, yeah, would it be better for those interested in the game if Mario Kart fans reviewed it? 🧐
By this logic only fans of games should review them. I'm sure we won't see inflated scores at all. "Mom buy me elden ring it got 10s. But son you only play Mario kart you're a casual will you really like it? Sure because a souls fan reviewed it." You see the problem?

Karak

Yes after the second video it’s clear.
Will add it to my post 👋
Thanks for that.

I always update on bad patches and changes and do a ton of videos about the industry and don't want things to be miscunstrued. Appreciate it

Ogbert

No it wasn't. Everyone knew the game didn't perform well even back then.
Genuinely not snarky - how old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm an old fart at 42. Have a photo of me picking up OoT from HMV on the morning of release.

No one was complaining about the technical performance then. It started to creep in years later, when emulations appeared and other games obviously overtook it, in terms of performance.

Sleepwalker

Thanks for that.

I always update on bad patches and changes and do a ton of videos about the industry and don't want things to be miscunstrued. Appreciate it

Love your vids man, keep rocking. Usually how it goes with people overreacting about stuff they feel passionate about, don't let that put you down. Appreciate your integrity and the way you manage your channel.

Hopefully these issues will be fixed, for what it's worth the game is running fine for me on a 2080s with a ryzen 5 3600xt and 32gb of ram. Would love some DLSS tho!

Can't wait for people to lol at pc gamers and not blame the devs for this bad port but when it's the positive way around its those fucking devs. Remembering Cyperpunk on the ps4

we got one

Time to put FromSoft on the same cross as CDPR.

And if reviewers dont point out issues with a title at launch. Whats the point of them ffs?

Alphagear

Well, yeah, would it be better for those interested in the game if Mario Kart fans reviewed it? 🧐

And that's where the problem lies with Souls reviews.

Since the game is hard only Souls fan will review and they will naturally gives inflated scores.

The Souls fan club are more like a cult. Don't criticize them or their games.

Or else.

Last edited:
It’s a shame that people are experiencing so many issues. Fortunately I’ve not come across any bugs after 8 hours. FPS on series x during the rain is bollocks though.

What I will say is that the actual game itself is amazing, hopefully once it’s fixed you’ll get that same experience.

Fredrik

By this logic only fans of games should review them. I'm sure we won't see inflated scores at all. "Mom buy me elden ring it got 10s. But son you only play Mario kart you're a casual will you really like it? Sure because a souls fan reviewed it." You see the problem?
Why would it be better to start digging up non-fans to review all games? Someone not liking Gran Turismo reviews GT7. Someone not liking Zelda reviews BOTW2. It’s like me reviewing rap music as a metal head. Who would that help?
”It’s the same boring crap as always. Don’t buy. 3/10.”

Alphagear

I'm an old fart at 42. Have a photo of me picking up OoT from HMV on the morning of release.

No one was complaining about the technical performance then. It started to creep in years later, when emulations appeared and other games obviously overtook it, in terms of performance.
I never heard of complaints regarding FPS either at the time. It was what it was at the time. Elden Ring on the other hand isn't. Average looking game with performance issues.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Frame drops down to 40, micro-stutter, loosing frames and overall unpolished. It hickups like every second in the open world area. Annoying as fudge. Took vacation for this, but can't enjoy the game at all at this moment. Hope they fix this a.s.a.p!
Lies

I’m pretty far into limgrave but recorded this earlier to prevent this misinformation. PS5 in both quality and Performance is the current best way to play the game. It’s better than DS3 was with the PS4pro patch and is generally over 55 during gameplay and if it does drop it shoots right back up. Also there is no hard stuttering or hitching that is a PC only feature.

MrA

I honestly didn't notice any glaring issues in OP's video.

Just looked like a From Software game. :goog_unsure:

The release of this game and all the negativity from people is really bizarre, lol.
Basically its typical over reaction from jaded enthusiasts. Omg 57 fps average over all , the game dropped to 40 fps during a boss fight against a giant dragon, and it ruined my immersion
Coupled with whining about reviews failing to realize the average person doesn't care about technical issues unless they are an order of magnitude worse than what they bellyache over

fart town usa

Gold Member
Basically its typical over reaction from jaded enthusiasts. Omg 57 fps average over all , the game dropped to 40 fps during a boss fight against a giant dragon, and it ruined my immersion
Coupled with whining about reviews failing to realize the average person doesn't care about technical issues unless they are an order of magnitude worse than what they bellyache over
That's kind of the impression I got. I mean, there was the clip of sluggishness and if that happened like every 15 seconds it'd be unplayable but the stuttering aspect, my eyes aren't that keen to actually notice anything. I'm also playing Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U so yea, I'm not exactly an expert in pinpointing every time there are frame drops, lol.

But yea, some people need to just chill. You'd think this was Cyberpunk all over again with some of the replies in here.

Old Enough. My first console was a Genesis.

Again, you're making my point for me. I know perfectly well that reviewers generally weren't complaining about the performance in 1998. But that's not because they straight up didn't know the performance was lackluster. 30 and even 60 FPS games were around back then, as were games that were straight up prettier. Any reviewer would have known about those. It's just that they felt that what the level of performance the game provided was sufficient and didn't detract from the game's real strengths.

And that's perfectly fine. Just like it's perfectly fine for someone in 2022 to give Elden Ring a perfect score for the exact same reason.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Old Enough. My first console was a Genesis.

Again, you're making my point for me. I know perfectly well that reviewers generally weren't complaining about the performance in 1998. But that's not because they straight up didn't know the performance was lackluster. 30 and even 60 FPS games were around back then, as were games that were straight up prettier. Any reviewer would have known about those. It's just that they felt that what the level of performance the game provided was sufficient and didn't detract from the game's real strengths.

And that's perfectly fine. Just like it's perfectly fine for someone in 2022 to give Elden Ring a perfect score for the exact same reason.

Don't put words in my mouth. Where the hell did I say that?

Sorry, it was the other poster who said it. Basically said no one complained about the frame rate cause they played it on emulator.

Sorry again. I will edit post.

Last edited:

Ribi

Why would it be better to start digging up non-fans to review all games? Someone not liking Gran Turismo reviews GT7. Someone not liking Zelda reviews BOTW2. It’s like me reviewing rap music as a metal head. Who would that help?
”It’s the same boring crap as always. Don’t buy. 3/10.”
Or just get anyone to review. Reviews are not narrow casting, they're broad.

Top Bottom