• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanillaware's Unicorn Overlord has sold 500,000 copies

OuterLimits

Good thing they released it on Switch. Hope the positive critic and player reviews help it continue to sell. I usually prefer the turn based tactics of fire emblem, Triangle Strategy, etc, but having a ton of fun with this as well.

Definite 9/10 in my opinion. Would be a perfect 10 if the overall story wasn't merely mediocre.

Labadal

I wonder what's next for them, and how many years it will take.

Now that they did Ogre Battle style, I wouldn't mind Tactics Ogre style.

StereoVsn

They need to press up more physical copies. They are completely extinct now.
I am sure they will reprint. And only the Switch version seems to be sold out, as PS5 is fairly widely available.

Anyways, I won’t get to the actual game any time soon but I caved and got Switch copy just in case they won’t reprint in the West.

Also, damn SEGA should have mandated a PC port and assigned the resources for it since Vanillaware can’t do it. Surely that would sell more copies vs Xbox?

Last edited:
This deserves way more than 500k
I bet it would have been more if it were ported to steam...but also android and ios.

Turn based JRPGS/Strategy and mobile are an easy match where the genre should thrive, but instead they're stuck between a rock and a hard place due to gamers not accepting mobile, and most mobile gamers not wanting to deal with console-priced games. On top of that, no steam port for a ridiculous, out of touch reason.

Where does that leave them? 500k.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Turn based JRPGS/Strategy and mobile are an easy match where the genre should thrive, but instead they're stuck between a rock and a hard place due to gamers not accepting mobile, and most mobile gamers not wanting to deal with console-priced games.
I can't imagine trying to control this game with just a touch screen. Unit selection, movement, etc would be challenging. The menus would be okay, and I guess the battles are pretty non-interactive so those would be fine. This is like a hybrid turn based and real time strategy game - if it came to mobile it would need to be pretty significantly reworked.

Jedge

I bet it would have been more if it were ported to steam...but also android and ios.

Turn based JRPGS/Strategy and mobile are an easy match where the genre should thrive, but instead they're stuck between a rock and a hard place due to gamers not accepting mobile, and most mobile gamers not wanting to deal with console-priced games. On top of that, no steam port for a ridiculous, out of touch reason.

Where does that leave them? 500k.

I agree with you that it should be on more platforms. Their stubbornness to limit it to console will be their eventual downfall.

Fbh

Starship Troopers GIF

Really enjoying it on switch.
500.000 for a niche genre seems decent. The art is beautiful as always but I'm sure these aren't as expensive as a AAA game to make so I hopes it's profitable for them.

Didn't realize this wasn't on PC, it's a shame as I could have seen it doing decently (at least better than on Xbox where it probably sold 3 units).

Doomtrain

Still pretty early on, but I’m already in love with this game.

One thing I’ll say is, it’s been pretty easy so far, and I’m playing on Expert. How long until it gets some teeth?

Also, I just got the witch, but by Vanillaware standards, I haven’t seen a lot of waifu material so far. How long until I can get a proper harem together? (I’m being semi-facetious with this one, but also… seriously, how long?)

Fantastic game either way. Can’t wait to play more.

Robb

Gold Member
Cool, not my type of game but I’m definitely happy for them. Can’t wait to see what they do next. I’d love something more reminiscent of Muramasa.

I can't imagine trying to control this game with just a touch screen. Unit selection, movement, etc would be challenging. The menus would be okay, and I guess the battles are pretty non-interactive so those would be fine. This is like a hybrid turn based and real time strategy game - if it came to mobile it would need to be pretty significantly reworked.
Not significantly, but some minor tweaks I think it would very much work. Most of this game's loop would lend itself really well to mobile.

I feel the same about other turn based JRPGs, but I think Vanillaware limits their potential, and on top of that the two genres themselves will end up ultra-niche within 20ish years if they stay on the current path they're on.

I would feel salty if I'm working on this amazing game that could work for mobile(with some tweaks) and the leads say 'console only'. Then I have to sit back and watch my peers earn millions on younger gamers, building up a brand, while I earn a measly 500k and internet points with the older gamers, as my studio fights to stay alive with budgets constantly going up.

I wasn't too jazzed on the demo but I'll probably give it a go on sale somewhere down the road. Sega / Atlus stuff never takes long to hit 30-40% off or more, I just grabbed Persona 3 Reload on 40% off last week.

Top Bottom