• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vatican fires priest after he comes out as gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was fired for acting on his lust, not for being gay.
Its like the number 1 rule if being a priest, your dick is for peeing only.

Hazmat

People need to realize that the current pope being more progressive doesn't mean that he or the church have abandoned some of the core principles of Catholicism.

The Lamp

"I don't mind gay people, I just don't like when they act gay."

You seem surprised. That's what the Bible is literally about with anything it labels as sin. Jesus didn't mind sinners, he hung out with them, but he was firm about the consequences of sin. Since the Catholic Church and the Bible view homosexual acts as sexually immoral acts, they view them as sin, regardless of who or what commits them.

The doctrine doesn't mind gay people as people themselves, but it won't advocate homosexual acts because it views the acts as sexually immoral (same as heterosexual sex out of wedlock) and the very founding scriptures of its identity have viewed it as so for millennia.

But this is about the partner. If the priest had revealed that he was in a heterosexual affair he probably would have been fired or disciplined too, because he broke the vows he made.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Compared to Benedict-Palpatine, he's practically a gay rights advocate.

He hasn't said or done anything that the church hasn't said or done before he took the office.

The main difference is that Pope Benedict was a less charismatic, more intellectual theoretical theologian while Pope Francis is a more charismatic, down-to-earth person. But the church's positions have not changed. The media is just reporting everything he says with an unwarranted spin.

For instance, his remark about "who am I to judge" the gays did not imply that he thinks that gay relationships are ok. The church has long said that homosexuality is not a sin as long as you don't act on it. "Who am I to judge" is just a diplomatic way to answer the question he was asked and also fully in line with catholic doctrine that judgement is not men's but god's responsibility. (Which obviously never hindered people to judge in god's name). In the same interview he said about homosexuality that "The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains this very well." Everybody can read up what the catechism has to say on that issue...

People are just longing for a more progressive shift in the church and are thus willing to interpret everything he says or does accordingly. He certainly puts a focus on humanitarian messages, which is a good thing, and I fully believe that he is sincere in this focus. But he is also a conservative catholic with all the bullshit that comes with that. Another helping factor is that most people, including most catholics, have little knowledge about their own faith and its doctrines, and thus can't put his statements into proper context.

Lautaro

People need to realize that the current pope being more progressive doesn't mean that he or the church have abandoned some of the core principles of Catholicism.

What's more progressive about this Pope? he's better at PR than Benedict, nothing else.

Hell, he took the time (in May) to defend a bishop that covered a pedophile priest in Chile (he even said that everything was "lies of the lefties"). He's the same shit as his predecesors just smarter.

rhandino

Banned
So basically... he broke his vows? I mean, it is a total no no even if the partner is from the opposite sex since they have a chastity vote...

===

So they'll shield child molesters, but fire gay priests? Weird
Dealing with a priest that broke his vows with another consenting adult it's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things tbh (Father Alberto is a recent example
or the priest of my local church according to my grandmother
) but dealing with ones accused of horrible horribles crime that will put in doubt the trust that people have in them? Oh boy! you better BET that they are going to try to hide that shit at all costs if they can.

===

Too bad.

Some of those nuns...

Let's be real... They are all gay. Every Priest I've ever met has obviously been gay.

Where did you let them touch you during confession?

Yikes...

Xe2jl1M.gif

I think it's the other way around - we will see married priests (they actually already exist in some denominations with allegiance to Rome, such as the Eastern Catholics) before we see gays fully accepted by the Catholic church.
The church accepts married priests but does not accept priests marrying (this is a very ancient tradition also), Eastern Catholic priests can only marry before their ordination. Same goes for priests in the west on occasion, as there is a limited permission since the 1940s to accept Lutheran and Anglican ministers who convert - they can remain married and also be ordained Catholic priests.

Considering the CDFs job in the Vatican is basically to vet moral theology it's not really surprising they'd fire this guy who's very publicly renouncing his priesthood and catholic teachings anyway.

How can he have a partner of any kind as a priest?

interestingly enough, there IS a loophole that allows catholic priests to be married with wives.

Episcopalian priests are allowed to marry. If the parish end up converting to catholicism (they're very close) and moving over to a catholic church, they're permitted to stay married.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If you don't agree with the rules of your religion, you have to question why you are even subscribing to that religion.

FiggyCal

Banned
If you don't agree with the rules of your religion, you have to question why you are even subscribing to that religion.

Maybe he doesn't see Catholicism as incompatible with homosexuality. I'm guessing most gay Christians probably don't. He could've also been in denial and only recently decided that it was okay.

This was big part of evening news in Poland and apparently that priest hired PR agency to organize his coming out event.

FiggyCal

Banned
This was big part of evening news in Poland and apparently that priest hired PR agency to organize his coming out event.

Ugh. It sounds like one of those coming out videos on YouTube, where the person coming out is secretly recording the reactions of their parents and pretending the whole thing was spontaneous.

I mean it's not the same thing. But you can find the similarities somewhere in there.

DrNeroCF

"I don't mind gay people, I just don't like when they act gay."

I feel like this is a misunderstanding of the church labeling something as a sin, as humans we are constantly sinning. It is impossible to not sin.

It's idiots acting like a particular sin is worse than their own sins, which is basically the opposite of Christian teaching.

Volimar

Let's not forget that for some places in the world if he did this he'd be fired
out of a cannon

Forcing priests to be celibate is so stupid.

"Charamsa, 43, and a Polish theologian, announced he was gay and had a partner in a long interview with Italy's Corriere della Sera newspaper on Saturday.

He later held a news conference with his partner, a Spanish man, and gay activists at a Rome restaurant."

Wouldn't he have been "fired" even if it was a heterosexual relationship? Vows and all that.
This..
People are reacting at the church against homosexualit Spiel..
Everybody is ignoring the fact that the sexual preference is a second issue here..
The priest admitted having a relationship while under vows..
That's enough to get kicked out....

Let's not forget that for some places in the world if he did this he'd be fired
out of a cannon

Forcing priests to be celibate is so stupid.
It's his choice to join the church..
Man of faith, helping the church without upholding celibacy is a deacon, and that's TOTALLY different from a priest..
A priest is a priest and celibacy is required by their doctrine.. Not cool? Don't priest-suit-up and just be a deacon if you feel strongly...

Let's be real... They are all gay. Every Priest I've ever met has obviously been gay.
Plausible.
Though the number of gay priests in general, and specifically among the Curia in Rome, is unknown, the proportion is much higher than in the general population. Between 20 and 60 percent of all Catholic priests are gay, according to one estimate cited by Donald B. Cozzens in his well-regarded The Changing Face of the Priesthood.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/12/gay-clergy-catholic-church-vatican

How can he have a partner of any kind as a priest?

According to the Canon Law can. 277 & 1037, he can't.
It's his choice to join the church..
Man of faith, helping the church without upholding celibacy is a deacon, and that's TOTALLY different from a priest..
A priest is a priest and celibacy is required by their doctrine.. Not cool? Don't priest-suit-up and just be a deacon if you feel strongly...

A married laic can become a deacon (can. 1037), but an unmarried man who becomes a deacon cannot get married afterwards.

I really don't get where do some people get this priest=gay thing. If I had a nickel for every priest with "lovers" or even sons and daughters...
I don't know if Papa Marketing has already said anything about this matter, but what I know is this asshole has spoken
ruini-675.jpg

He feels ashamed for him, not surprised.
Then I look at his fingers, and suddenly I stop caring.
Cloro al clero.

http://fakty.interia.pl/tylko-u-nas/news-ksiadz-charamsa-ogral-media,nId,1898418

source in Polish so google translate is needed

Charamza had interviews with "Wprost", "Newsweek", "Gazeta Wyborcza" and TVN (3 big press titles in Poland and one of top TV channels). He promised exclusivity on his coming out to each of them

While promising exclusive material he already had coming out conference scheduled in Rome.

And he also has book prepared for publishing soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom