• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Pokémon has its biggest debut in franchise history(NPD)

noshten

Pokémon was the big winner in November.

“Pokémon Sun and Pokémon: Moon had the strongest launch in the history of the franchise, selling 8 percent more units than the previous best-selling combo of Pokémon: White and Pokémon: Black despite having 19 fewer days in market during the month,” said Naji.

After Pokémon Go hit mobile in the summer and reenergized that fan base, many dormant Poképlayers went out and bought 3DS handhelds specifically to purchase Sun and Moon. Nintendo even confirmed that it was its fastest-selling game ever in the franchise’s near 20-year history, and now the NPD is illustrating just how huge a spike Pikachu is seeing.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/15/n...moon-have-biggest-debut-in-franchise-history/

Expected result after Pokemon GO - really shows what mobile/hardware/software synergy can lead for a franchise the size of Pokemon.

The only question is how much more will it sell in December and how many 3DS/2DS systems were moved in November.

Pokemon Black & White sold ~2.5 million, so Pokemon Sun/Moon sold ~2.7 million

Outsold COD as well and this is apparently before any sort of digital sales are even taken into account.
COD digital is counted towards its total.

It's the 19 fewer days that gets me. On the one hand, I get Black and White launched well in advance of Black Friday, but at the same time, to exceed it with less than half the previous time is astounding.

Sandfox

selling 8 percent more units than the previous best-selling combo of Pokémon: White and Pokémon: Black despite having 19 fewer days in market during the month,” said Naji.
Wow.

Kyrios

m6XKpxG.gif

Congrats Game Freak!

Add me to the list come New Years. Cant wait to finally get some spare time to sit down and play my first pokemon game in nearly a decade (almost dipped for ORAS)

Pappasman

More from the article. Wow.

Venturebeat said:
“Nintendo 3DS experienced its highest monthly physical software spending in the history of the platform,” said Naji. “They were 1 percent higher than the previous high in December 2014.”

Bruno MB

In the UK:

Code:
[Mar, 2011] NDS Pokémon Black / White - 286,000 (5 weeks of tracking)
[Nov, 2016] 3DS Pokémon Sun / Moon ~ 290,000 (1 week of tracking)

Source: GfK Chart-Track

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Crazy that Pokemon will take the top in one of, if not the busiest month of the year.

Not buying it, saving it for the Switch port.

Have fun waiting a year while the rest of us enjoy it now.

In the UK:

Code:
[Mar, 2011] NDS Pokémon Black / White - 286,000 (5 weeks of tracking)
[Nov, 2016] 3DS Pokémon Sun / Moon ~ 290,000 (1 week of tracking)

Source: GfK Chart-Track

That's mental for a UK 3DS game. Nintendo games sell like ass over here.

Sterok

Never count out Pokemon. Ever. Doesn't matter where it is, or how much people apparently don't like the system it's on. Pokemon sells.

plufim

But dedicated mobile gaming is dead, right.

So pleased. They deserve it, really went above and beyond for this game. And it shows that mobile games actually do work to raise the profile of the traditional games, something many scoffed at when Nintendo made that claim.

Trago

I'm waiting for Pokemon Stars, but dayum, that's impressive.

Their mobile gaming plans have been working out nicely for them so far.

Top Bottom