• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Pokémon has its biggest debut in franchise history(NPD)

kswiston

And to think all they had to do was bring back Gen 1 Pokémon

a-raticatebhuag.png

Pokemon X/Y was "So we heard you like Gen 1 Pokemon!: The Game".

GDGF

Soothsayer
Haven't played Pokemon proper since Red and Blue. Had fun playing Go with my girlfriend and we're in for Stars (and a Switch)

Congrats!

Azuran

Banned
Remember all those people who believed Pokemon Go and other mobiles games were going to stop people from buying Nintendo systems and games?

lol

Bravo. It's my GOTY and favorite generation in the franchise. I'm definitely looking forward to the third game and hopefully the set of remakes under this gen.

Did it beat Call of Duty if you combine both Sun and Moon, or is the revenue ranking that much of a disparity?

Pokemon would be #1 if combined SKUs, yes.

Is NPD ranked by revenue now? That would be nuts. It would need to outsell the other games on that list by at least 1.5x ($60 game vs $40). That can't be right.

Well deserved, Sun and Moon are the best mainline Pokémon games yet.

Hope GamesFreak keep going that direction instead of going back to the old, stale and tired game design of past games.

Just curious. Why is there 2 pokemon games? Never played any of them befire

Big selling point of Pokemon games is trading and battling with your friends. GameFreak encourages this by making essentially two versions of the same game, each with a few unique Pokemon. You cannot collect them all on your own. You need to trade to complete it.

Just curious. Why is there 2 pokemon games? Never played any of them befire
They're just different versions of the same game. For the most part, they're the same but they'll have a few different Pokemon and there's a time difference (In Sun, it's morning when it's morning for you but, in Moon, it's night when it's morning for you and vice versa)

Pokémon outselling Call of Duty in November is fucking MADNESS

Call of Duty is a serious monster taking on Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, and Pokemon. Even with the franchise fatigue somehow still winning would be crazy.

Good for Pokemon though. This year has been great for the franchise in general.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Call of Duty is a serious monster taking on Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, and Pokemon. Even with the franchise fatigue somehow still winning would be crazy.

Good for Pokemon though. This year has been great for the franchise in general.

Can't have been very close Pokémon was without digital and beat it revenue wise despite being $20 cheaper.

Ridley327

Pokemon X/Y was "So we heard you like Gen 1 Pokemon!: The Game".

I really do think that the biggest appeal for S/M was the presentation overhaul. It seems like such a minor thing for the game to go full 3D and have an art style that better replicates the anime, but it makes a big difference for a lot of people.

Well deserved for this one. I'm actually suprised at how much was changed yet it still felt the same. Pretty good GameFreak. No doubt Pokemon GO also helped.

Even though Nintendo did not directly profit from Pokemon Go, they used its popularity to their advantage really well. I remember Sun/Moon marketing started really getting out there (with a mix of Gen 1 and Alola Pokemon) right when Go was blowing up.

People who googled Pokemon would see those trailers at the top of the video results at the time when the whole world was googling Pokemon.

The superbowl commercial was also smart, because it stirred up nostalgic feelings for the series early in the year.

3DS must be north of 60 million units now. Pretty decent base of people, glad to see Pokemon is still a success. $40 premium handheld games can indeed still sell like hotcakes given the proper conditions!

Well deserved. Been taking my time to enjoy every moment of it. The Pokemon game I've been waiting for for a long time now.

I giggle every time I see somebody jokingly mention Pokemon being a fad. It's just fun to see the franchise still alive and crazy strong, proving all those people from way back in the day wrong as can be.

I was commuting yesterday and was surprised by the fact that Nintendo has put money to broadcast Pokémon Sun and Moon commercial on the TV inside the train. I have never seen this before. This is very cool.

Top Bottom