• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Very Early 2000s Video Games

Krathoon

Gold Member
I just found out about this old series of games that are very 90s.

It is the Outlaw series back on the XBox and PS2.
They are these snarky games aimed at adults and late teens.

Outlaw Golf

Outlaw Volleyball. Steve Carell is the announcer.

Outlaw Tennis. Stephen Colbert as the announcer.

What very 90s games do you remember?

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeah, those were an early 2000s, post BMX-XXX and The Guy Game sorta thing. That sort of edginess didn't become a thing until the new millennium.
Ok. I can't change the thread title, but you know what I mean. Those snarky edgy games before things got politically correct.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, so there were two pretty distinct brands of it:

You had the west, which pumped out stuff like BMX XXX, Outlaw Golf, Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, Playboy: The Mansion, and The Guy Game (until it got pulled from sale when they found out one of the topless girls was underaged). Prior to that, all of that sort of boundary-pushing was on the PC, where you had games like Riana Rouge and Duke Screw'Em (which... let's be honest, is a genuinely funny name). These games were typically mediocre, but had some tits slapped onto them in order to make them sell. And to some extent, that worked... but probably not as much as publishers had anticipated at the time. The fact that BMX XXX was even greenlit is a little shocking, given how there was basically no precedent for this kind of content on a mainstream console.

Then you had Japan, which had already been producing smut games for decades, starting to push the envelope on consoles with stuff like Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball and Rumble Roses. I feel like the Japanese approach was more upfront and honest - you know what you're there for... but the games, themselves, were actually still fun.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
If a moderator could change the thread title to "Very Early 2000s Video Games". That would be great.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

If a moderator could change the thread title to "Very Early 2000s Video Games". That would be great.

*that weren't on Xbox because it didn't exist.

Just joshing ya pal, these games remind me of a simpler time when I actually played sports games because they were fun despite not liking any sports.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I found the Outlaw games for dirt cheap. I will have to fire up the XBox and see if it still works.

I get paranoid about the ruptured clock capacitor issue some XBoxes have.

Go_Ly_Dow

2000 but still was conceptualised and in the 90s lol.

51hS+7IKHFL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

xyi958kubnz91.jpg

Some people think Tetsuya Nomura peaked with Kingdom Hearts, but we all really know it was with the Bouncer.

xyi958kubnz91.jpg

Some people think Tetsuya Nomura peaked with Kingdom Hearts, but we all really know it was with the Bouncer.
Imagine if Square CEO's just took a couple of weeks off and let their developers run rampant in the office on the drawing boards. Bet they'd come up with some weird never seen before shit.

Reactions: Isa

xyi958kubnz91.jpg

Gosh, I remember thinking the graphics for The Bouncer were incredible in the magazine previews I saw. I don't think I ever got around to actually playing it...or if I did, I don't remember.

This is the era where everything was novel.

Every concept seemed fresh.

I remember Bouncer was supposed to be a flagship title for Ps2, huge magazine previews, that I'd read and then re-read.

Turned out to be whack, of course.

But at least studios were still trying things outside their wheelhouse back then.

90s and 2000s were the golden age of gaming.

Disclaimer: in no way shape or form am I suggesting games were better back then. They weren't, we just didn't know what we didn't know, yet.

I remember seeing that cover art for The Bouncer back in the day, and it was the first time i thought to myself "square have absolutely lost their minds".

Kuranghi

xyi958kubnz91.jpg

Gosh, I remember thinking the graphics for The Bouncer were incredible in the magazine previews I saw. I don't think I ever got around to actually playing it...or if I did, I don't remember.

I remember those previews as well, I kept playing it basically because of the ragdolls.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
At the beginning of the game they have elementals that are very abstract. Then you have this weird horse construct in one of the early dungeons.

They had some very eccentric monster designs.
You mean like these:
show

FFI_Snort_PS.png

How are those different outside of fidelity?
Confused Little Girl GIF

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Something happened with entertainment later in the 2000s where they stopped making raunchy comedies and video games.

Not totally certain what happened. You still have comedians like Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle that buck the political correctness.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Something happened with entertainment later in the 2000s where they stopped making raunchy comedies and video games.

Not totally certain what happened. You still have comedians like Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle that buck the political correctness.
A global economic downturn after decades of prosperity. Misery loves company.

Hypereides

Gold Member

A global economic downturn after decades of prosperity. Misery loves company.
I miss stupid and absurd stuff like this. You could tell the devs had a giggle working on these games regardless of how they might've turned out. "Redneck-core"/"trailerpark trash" games were fun and can still be entertaining in their own right frankly speaking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom