• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG247] I’m excited to play Starfield, but that 30fps news took the wind out of my sails

MikeM

It's CPU bound, otherwise 1080p at 60fps would be on the table, obvious when the Series S can do 1440p. Hopefully they have a 40fps 120hz mode at some point.

I'm good as long as the frame pacing is spot on.
I’m sure they can find a way. Hell, everyone said the same thing for Plague Tale, and look what we have now. A game that routinely cruises past 60fps during gameplay.

Its always a dev decision.
One of the most amusing things about this generation is how console warriors have suddenly discovered the merits of 60fps.
Given the vrr window closes at anything less than 48fps (PS5), it should be expected that 60fps would be a baseline target. I know Xbox has LFC, but still…

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Games media can shut up 🤣

I agree it's disappointing(for console players) but games media all pissed their pants at a game this year that reaches the 10s in fps frequently...

They don't get the right to dump on the 30fps
Well, it is also the same for the majority of PC players. The reaction to the SSD minimum requirement make it clear not many are going to run this at 60fps with a high resolution at least.

StueyDuck

Well, it is also the same for the majority of PC players. The reaction to the SSD minimum requirement make it clear not many are going to run this at 60fps with a high resolution at least.
Yeah that ssd spec is gonna hit me hard gonna need to delete a few titles to get it installed.

Still though, games media can't whine about one thing yet give another just complete leeway.

Romulus

Yeah MS pushing 60fps and 120fps for their Xbox, then their flagship title is 30fps with no option for 60fps? Lol. This game will not be difficult to get 60fps from similarly spec PCs, especially series X, they're just forcing this trash on console owners.

Rickyiez

Retard, just play it on pc. A game is meant to be played in any platform as long as it's available and is the best version.

Boy bawang

As always, it's going to be a matter of balance. If the game does indeed some incredible stuff, feels like a persistent world where if you throw a rock on a random planet, that rock will still be here until the end of the game, then I'm sure that we will all overlook that 30fps thing.
On the other hand, of the game doesn't do much more than Skyrim, it being technically imperfect will be much less excusable.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve been playing TotK on Switch no problem. It all depends on how smooth they can make it.

It’s pretty staggering how big of a difference there can be between 30fps games. TotK feels pretty smooth, but I was playing Ghostwire Tokyo simultaneously and that game made me want to throw up in 30fps. It just turned in to a blurry mess every time you moved the camera.

As long as they don’t go crazy with the blurr-effects in Starfield I think it’ll be fine.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I hope last of us 3 is 30 fps - I hope naughty dog prioritizes pushing the technology past what we have seen is possible - imagine them being asked to do last of us 2 at 60 fps or 4k on ps4 - it wouldn’t be possible and we wouldn’t have gotten it otherwise.

I would probably agree with you, I mean 60fps will feel great but it wont be a massive step up from what we have now. So as you say go for 30fps, push PS5 to its limits then if we must play in 60fps we wait for the PS6 or PC version.

ZoukGalaxy

Animated GIF

radewagon

Bloodborn was 30fps and it is one of the best games ever. At least for me, frame rate isn’t the most important aspect of a game.
This is always one of the strongest arguments against the idea that high framerates are necessary for a game to be enjoyed/playable. Bloodborne's performance is pretty bad and yet it doesn't stop the game from being an absolute masterpiece. High framerates are nice, but in most games, are not in any way as important as framerate-stans would have you believe.

Roxkis_ii

60 fps should be the standard on consoles. No excuses. We have to demand better for ourselves or be stuck in 30 fps hell for another 10 years.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Umm I platinumed Fallout 3 on PS3 at 20fps and PowerPoint slideshows during heavy combat. I'll be fine with 30fps.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You will take 30fps and you will love it.
Funny part is, some of the very same people that dropped the empathy or laughing emojis, or quoted with pushback takes when you dared say that Starfield or the like would be 30fps on the mighty XSX, are now singing a down to word for word different PR tune.

I see you, Riky Riky . 😘

But back on topic. A deal breaker? No, it will be fine if paced well (which I'm not too confident on, The Order 1886 did it right with 1:1 frame/input syncing and no frame delay like most games do), not on OLEDs though, good luck with that.

As for the article writer, get the PC version then and enjoy 48-55fps instead of 26-30fps. At launch.

😝

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't disagree but what if it is a stable 30 fps? I don't know what's going on but for being the most powerful console and having all that money, why can't Microsoft pump all this money into their developers and get them to make a 40 fps? It has been done and can be done and I'm not sure why Microsoft's management or whatever is going on with some of their studios is preventing them from achieving something on what is supposed to be Superior hardware to the competition.

Because having the most powerful console out there according to them doesn't mean a damn thing when a lot of multi-platform games are better on the competition and then you have exclusives which are built for one platform in mind that can't be optimized to do what has become the expectation which means performance modes or something in the lines of a 60 FPS option. That's where we are right now not in 2010.

Matt_Fox

What about the scope make it not work at 60fps? What even is scope in this context.

books GIF

Environments filled with actual 3D independent objects rather than static tableau. (I was trying to find the Gif of someone tanking the framerate by Fus-ro-dah on a pile of 1000 cheesewheels, but this one will have to do!)

OceanGaming

GamePass gives me the flexibility to play where I would like to, so my comfortable couch with a controller and my awesome HT rig and OLED TV is often way more compelling than my PC.

I bought D4 on PC and PS5 to play with my kids and I spend most of my time on the PS5 playing. It's a much more relaxing experience to me.

Sorry but you bought a $500 machine where graphics card alone costs around that much on a PC to get similar results. You are getting what you are paying for.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
books GIF

Environments filled with actual 3D independent objects rather than static tableau. (I was trying to find the Gif of someone tanking the framerate by Fus-ro-dah on a pile of 1000 cheesewheels, but this one will have to do!)
How is this different to having a single T-Rex in Horizon that has over 500.000 polygons with plenty of objects that dangle about? "Scale" wise? Crysis (with mods) had thousands of Objects that interacted with each other 15 years ago. On CPUs worse than what was used in PS4...

OceanGaming

How is this different to having a single T-Rex in Horizon that has over 500.000 polygons with plenty of objects that dangle about?
None of them are PERSISTENT, buddy. Data of them will be deleted go give air for other computations the CU does and storage keeps. When i put Sermons of Vivec on top of another in a spesific corner of Breezehome, after i come back a week later , they are EXACTLY in the order and the place where i put them. That is the strength and the weakness of Creation Engine, always has been.

GustavoLT

It's CPU bound, otherwise 1080p at 60fps would be on the table, obvious when the Series S can do 1440p. Hopefully they have a 40fps 120hz mode at some point.

I'm good as long as the frame pacing is spot on.
Are there any xbox game that runs at 40fps/120hz?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How is this different to having a single T-Rex in Horizon that has over 500.000 polygons with plenty of objects that dangle about? "Scale" wise? Crysis (with mods) had thousands of Objects that interacted with each other 15 years ago. On CPUs worse than what was used in PS4...
Their engine is heavily CPU bound and they didn't want to overhaul it to be GPGPU reliant to offload a lot of those instances. Like Guerilla and others did on the PS4 to make up for the Jaguar shortcomings.

oji-san

Banned
While i'm disappointed with no performance mode i'll play the heck out of Starfield, I'm not going to play anything a week or so before launch so nothing will interfere me with this glorious game.

Top Bottom