• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Geoff Keighley says this year’s Gamescom ONL is ‘less about announcing new projects’

THE LIVE EVENT WILL FOCUS MORE ON "UPDATES ON SOME OF THE BIGGEST GAMES DUE OUT OVER THE NEXT YEAR"
Opening-Night-Live-Gamescom-1024x584.jpg

Geoff Keighley has provided an update on his next flagship game show, Gamescom Opening Night Live, which he says will focus less on announcing new projects.
Speaking to VGC ahead of the August 22 event, the host and producer said that viewers should expect mostly updates on announced games planned to release over the next 12 months.
"It's going to be an exciting show with new looks at many announced upcoming games like Alan Wake 2, and Black Myth Wukong," Keighley said. "This year's ONL is less about announcing brand new projects, and more about giving fans updates on some of the biggest games due out over the next year."

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This year has really been pretty weak so far with the news revolving around new games in development. At least for me. I was beginning to look forward to next week, but this really affected my hype.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
People come for the hype of new announcements, not for the stage demos.

I will check out a recap or something.

My expectations for this were pretty low anyways. I think there's more for me to get out of a potential Nintendo Indie World thing in August, they usually do one before / around Gamescom I think.

Belthazar

That approach can be very interesting if he can grant a first look of already announced games like Wolverine or Death Stranding... But if it's "here, another 5 minutes footage of Spider Man 2 and Starfield gameplay!!!" it'll be yet another waste of time.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Geoff needs to cool down. He’s really out here trying to be the face of the gaming industry. I can handle him, like, once a year at most.

Mr Hyde

Would be nice if Konami finally broke the release date for Suikoden 1 & 2 remasters. They've been awfully quiet since the announcement. Would also be nice to get some more gameplay footage from Fable. Maybe some more footage from Star Ocean second story R and FF7 Rebirth.

Wildebeest

All new AAA projects are cancelled. The raised expectations due to Baldur's Gate 3 have made the whole industry inviable.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So what's the point having it?

The same reason every single time: To sell advertising.

To be objective, however, most people complain when things that aren't due for 3 years get shown, so in that sense, this show could be better. There are a number of games people would like to know more about coming in the next 6 months.

I imagine it'll be an opportunity for people to get hyped up about Spiderman, Starfield, etc. Though as to whether Sony or Microsoft will see the benefit in paying Geoff to show a trailer instead of just putting one out through their own events underlines what shaky ground Geoff's games broadcasting empire might be on.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Would be nice if Konami finally broke the release date for Suikoden 1 & 2 remasters. They've been awfully quiet since the announcement. Would also be nice to get some more gameplay footage from Fable. Maybe some more footage from Star Ocean second story R and FF7 Rebirth.
there was some news recently that they confirmed it will release in 2023 still, hopefully we get a date at TGS?

Katajx

Gold Member
I’d like to see something about the Cyberpunk DLC there. It’s coming soon and I would like to see more, not just hear someone talk about updates with no video.

Mr Hyde

there was some news recently that they confirmed it will release in 2023 still, hopefully we get a date at TGS?

I really hope so, but I have a feeling Konami will delay it because Eiyuden Chronicles got delayed into 2024. They most likely wanna release Suikoden near Eiyuden to cash in on the hype surrounding that game.

YukiOnna

Sounds good, need update on existing titles and it can't always be the new announcements if they're not ready, I just hope there 1 or 2 things I'm interested in.

I'll always watch of course as it should be a good time.

SHA

Even without contents I'm sure Geoff Keighley will find a way to run his show just like Phil Swift.

StereoVsn

Ooh, I would be in for all of the above. Let's throw another one in the pot, where is the damn Dragon Quest 3 Remake? WTF happened with that game!?

Come on Geoff, get some investigation going.

Top Bottom