• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Warner ‘Very Pleased’ with Hogwarts Legacy Launch and ‘Spectacular’ Player Engagement (Over 267 Million Hours Have Been Played)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Troll_Screenshot-1280x720.jpg

“We are very pleased with the initial launch and see a bright future for our other platform launches,” Warner Bros. Games president David Haddad told Variety on February 16.

While Haddad didn’t provide sales figures for the game, first week digital sales in Europe were up 56% compared to last year’s fantasy blockbuster Elden Ring, which has gone on to sell 20 million copies since its release in February 2022.

“The player engagement is spectacular,” Haddad added. “So far, we have tracked over 152 million hours played, 173 million magical plants grown, 115 million potions brewed and 556 million Dark Wizards defeated.”

In updated figures provided after Haddad was interviewed, Warner said that as of October 21, Hogwarts Legacy had seen 267 million hours played, 393 million magical plants grown, 242 million potions brewed and 1.25 billion Dark Wizards defeated.

Who would have guessed that making a good game would sell a bazillion copies. Especially with such a big franchise.

Surprise Seinfeld GIF
People say this all the time after major sales announcements....

Plenty of good games don't sell well and even good License games don't always sell well. Marvel's Guardian's of Galaxy is a classic example. Plenty of of average or bad License games definitely don't sell well e.g. Avengers or Gotham Knights.

In Europe this is the fastest selling game since RDR2 not including Call of Duty or FIFA that's a big deal and not in anyway usual.

Troll_Screenshot-1280x720.jpg

“We are very pleased with the initial launch and see a bright future for our other platform launches,” Warner Bros. Games president David Haddad told Variety on February 16.

While Haddad didn’t provide sales figures for the game, first week digital sales in Europe were up 56% compared to last year’s fantasy blockbuster Elden Ring, which has gone on to sell 20 million copies since its release in February 2022.

“The player engagement is spectacular,” Haddad added. “So far, we have tracked over 152 million hours played, 173 million magical plants grown, 115 million potions brewed and 556 million Dark Wizards defeated.”

In updated figures provided after Haddad was interviewed, Warner said that as of October 21, Hogwarts Legacy had seen 267 million hours played, 393 million magical plants grown, 242 million potions brewed and 1.25 billion Dark Wizards defeated.

[/URL]
So odd they bring up nonsense when the game is Objectively selling amazing.

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, you would have to guess, but if you do a reasonable estimate that the average player has played around 20 hours of the game, the game would have sold 13 million units so far. If you assume that that same average is 30 hours instead, then the sales are closer to 9 million units.

I fell like the sales should be between those two estimates.

I mean, you would have to guess, but if you do a reasonable estimate that the average player has played around 20 hours of the game, the game would have sold 13 million units so far. If you assume that that same average is 30 hours instead, then the sales are closer to 9 million units.

I fell like the sales should be between those two estimates.
Interesting analysis!

A quick google search says the average gamer plays about 8 and a half hours a week so it might be closer to 20?:goog_unsure:

Maybe it's higher at Launch though so who knows

KungFucius

King Snowflake
World is full of transphobes. I’m shaking GAF.
My character was Trans and proud and everyone in the game knew to call me "they" without asking. I am a bit miffed that the game didn't let me fuck Sirona though. The racial representation in the game was decent too. Really nothing to complain about for those people other than the original creator of the IP saying something that was ignorant.

I find the whole concept of boycotting and trying to force others to boycott bizarre. At the end of the day, everything we buy ends up lining the pockets of some obnoxiously wealthy cunt. At least it gives the people working on it a chance to produce something and be successful.

They need to do a sequel at a different school. The world in this game was fine, but who really wants to go to the same place again? They mentioned a bigger school in Africa, and there are clearly others they could make up in cool locations.

StueyDuck

Number of deaths?

I was told all trans people were going to die and JK Rowling flippidyfloppidy-self was going to be doing it flom-self?

Do we have those numbers yet?

Resetera has them right? After they all stop playing the game themselves obviously 🤣

Last edited:
I would call any of those games as "good".
Okay? How would you judge good exactly? Your own subjective opinion or something like metacritic scores?

Either way there's not been many MAJOR successful licence games. They basically include

Arkham games
PS4 Spiderman games
Star wars Battlefront games
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

And now this which will likely surpass them all.

Remember every single spiderman game before spiderman PS4? None of them set the charts on fire were they all bad to?

winjer

Gold Member
Okay? How would you judge good exactly? Your own subjective opinion or something like metacritic scores?

Either way there's not been many MAJOR successful licence games. They basically include

Arkham games
PS4 Spiderman games
Star wars Battlefront games
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

And now this which will likely surpass them all.

Remember every single spiderman game before spiderman PS4? None of them set the charts on fire were they all bad to?

LOL, you use metacric to assess a game's value.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Spaceman292

Banned
People say this all the time after major sales announcements....

Plenty of good games don't sell well and even good License games don't always sell well. Marvel's Guardian's of Galaxy is a classic example. Plenty of of average or bad License games definitely don't sell well e.g. Avengers or Gotham Knights.

In Europe this is the fastest selling game since RDR2 not including Call of Duty or FIFA that's a big deal and not in anyway usual.
It's still weird how badly Guardians of the Galaxy flopped. But usually if something's good, it sells. If it's shit, it won't.

Nautilus

Banned
Interesting analysis!

A quick google search says the average gamer plays about 8 and a half hours a week so it might be closer to 20?:goog_unsure:

Maybe it's higher at Launch though so who knows
If I'm not mistaken, the average to beat the game is around the 40 hour mark(With going so far as 100 hour mark if you do most stuff).So since it has been 1 week since the official release, and 1 week and a half since the actual release, plus the fact that less than half the people finish the games they buy, I think assuming a 20 hour to 30 hour average seems reasonable.

But like I said, this is mostly guesswork and commonsense.

I think they'll announce figures once it hits 10 million, because anything below that would negatively impact sales going forward, in context of how big the IP is and how much hype the game garnered prior to release.

Dazraell

It's still weird how badly Guardians of the Galaxy flopped. But usually if something's good, it sells. If it's shit, it won't.
I feel Square really screwed up marketing for this game. It also didn't helped that they had to deal with a fallout of Avengers game. That game was so bad it probably inadvertently tanked any chances that GotG would have without it

I'd be surprised if they aren't already way past that threshold.
The game had almost 900K concurrent users on Steam alone. That must mean at minimum five millions copies sold on the sole PC platform. Possibly more.
Where are you getting 5 million sales because it had 900k concurrent players on Steam? The vast majority of people who’re buying a full price AAA game on day one on PC will be buying on Steam and the majority will have been part of that initial concurrent number.

This game would have done truly mental (like Animal Crossing or the latest Pokémon crazy) numbers had it been released on last gen and Switch at the same time as PS5/Series/PC.

I don’t see another game coming close to this games sales even Zelda 2 or Spider-Man 2. Hogwarts will sell 30 million this year alone imo.

Sentenza

Where are you getting 5 million sales because it had 900k concurrent players on Steam? The vast majority of people who’re buying a full price AAA game on day one on PC will be buying on Steam and the majority will have been part of that initial concurrent number.
Industry averages. Most people DO NOT play their purchase concurrently. Time zones, being busy with work, purchasing just because they can but not being immediately in the mood to to play... Countless factors can pile up, but the result is the same.
And I've never said a word about people outside of Steam, but there would be that to count as well (for the remaining... 4-5% of PC purchases at most?).

If anything the gap used to be even larger in the past, with the number of concurrent users at launch typically not being even a tenth of the number of owners... But still, estimating owners as "4-5X the concurrent users" is generally considered on the CONSERVATIVE side of estimations.

recma12

I’m kinda getting bored by the game but for more casual gamers who, unlike me, only play a few open world games every now and then, Hogwarts Legacy is absolutely perfect.
If you are a big HP fan this is a must buy anyways.

My only big complaint about the game is the UI.
Other than that it is a competent AAA open world game in every aspect.

The sales success is well deserved.

LOL, you use metacric to assess a game's value.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF
No?? But you said only good games sell. So judging how a game will sell based on your own personal enjoyment has got to be the most meaningless metric you could think up.

Ever hated a high selling game or loved a poor selling game?? My point exactly. At least with metacritic or other review aggregate sites you get some kind of consensus.

Obviously I judge games on how I enjoy them...

winjer

Gold Member
No?? But you said only good games sell. So judging how a game will sell based on your own personal enjoyment has got to be the most meaningless metric you could think up.

Ever hated a high selling game or loved a poor selling game?? My point exactly. At least with metacritic or other review aggregate sites you get some kind of consensus.

Obviously I judge games on how I enjoy them...

There is no consensus with Metacritic. Quite the opposite, as frequently user score diverge from critics.
We are at a point where game journalists are not a reliable source of information about game's quality.

Top Bottom