• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Warner ‘Very Pleased’ with Hogwarts Legacy Launch and ‘Spectacular’ Player Engagement (Over 267 Million Hours Have Been Played)

"Thanks to J.K. Rowling for creating such an inspiring world that has bring joy to millions of people around the world"
BGY2SsP.gif

Jaybe

They probably want the other platforms to launch before releasing that massive sales number. It will be way more impactful that way.

There is no consensus with Metacritic. Quite the opposite, as frequently user score diverge from critics.
We are at a point where game journalists are not a reliable source of information about game's quality.
Okay so if you enjoy a game do you immediately think this game must have sold 10 million units??

MMaRsu

Banned
Where are you getting 5 million sales because it had 900k concurrent players on Steam? The vast majority of people who’re buying a full price AAA game on day one on PC will be buying on Steam and the majority will have been part of that initial concurrent number.

This game would have done truly mental (like Animal Crossing or the latest Pokémon crazy) numbers had it been released on last gen and Switch at the same time as PS5/Series/PC.

I don’t see another game coming close to this games sales even Zelda 2 or Spider-Man 2. Hogwarts will sell 30 million this year alone imo.
Concurrent has no indication of actual sales

Lunarorbit

I mean, you would have to guess, but if you do a reasonable estimate that the average player has played around 20 hours of the game, the game would have sold 13 million units so far. If you assume that that same average is 30 hours instead, then the sales are closer to 9 million units.

I fell like the sales should be between those two estimates.
That's exactly what I was estimating. I haven't played in over a week and I'm about 25 hours in and only have 31% of the trophies.

It's fun guessing shit using trophy data.

Industry averages. Most people DO NOT play their purchase concurrently. Time zones, being busy with work, purchasing just because they can but not being immediately in the mood to to play... Countless factors can pile up, but the result is the same.
And I've never said a word about people outside of Steam, but there would be that to count as well (for the remaining... 4-5% of PC purchases at most?).

If anything the gap used to be even larger in the past, with the number of concurrent users at launch typically not being even a tenth of the number of owners... But still, estimating owners as "4-5X the concurrent users" is generally considered on the CONSERVATIVE side of estimations.
Makes sense. It will be very interesting to see the platform splits at the end of the year. It wouldn’t surprise me if it sells most on Switch even though it will look like a PS2 game on it 😂

Kabelly

The major franchise part is irrelevant as big IP like Avengers failed. It is the fact that it is a great game.
that is literally what the person you're replying to said. a good game in a big franchise. Being Harry Potter defintely helped.

Avengers was microstransaction filled crap that I wasn't going to touch and Gaurdians of the Galaxy suffered for that.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nice. But I have to laugh at all these random statistic companies throw out instead of just announcing sales.
"The friction generated by moving the analog sticks by people playing our game would generate enough energy to cook 5000 pizzas"

It's still weird how badly Guardians of the Galaxy flopped. But usually if something's good, it sells. If it's shit, it won't.

It was probably a mix of the negative reception to Avengers + poor marketing.

Teletraan1

Banned
Hopefully when they update the sales numbers we get some numbers on the amount of trans deaths as a direct result of this game. I eagerly await it to be zero. I am so sick of these manipulative cunts having to jump right to people's lives being in danger because of an entertainment property. It is the most pathetic way to try and bully people and attempt to steer society in the direction they want. At least it isn't working. We saw with Chick-Fil-A. The LGBT mafia was all over that company, they managed to get a few stores that were on a lease to malls or airports shut down but that is now a top 3 fast food company that was hardly breaking the top 15 before the controversy.

A good game, with a major franchise, yes
Lol whatever dude no you don't.

So you automatically enjoy any game that's sold over 10 million units???!!

What happens when you hate a game that's sold well do you spontaneously combust!!?

10 million units in still somewhat rare even nowadays.

winjer

Gold Member
Lol whatever dude no you don't.

So you automatically enjoy any game that's sold over 10 million units???!!

What happens when you hate a game that's sold well do you spontaneously combust!!?

10 million units in still somewhat rare even nowadays.

That is a big distortion from what I said about good games, from big franchises, selling well.
Nice strawman arguments you got there....

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am sure they'll release sales figures a month or so after the final last gen version ships for the Switch in July. Well, maybe they will shortly after the PS4XO versions drop, but I have a feeling this is going to sell strongly on the Switch and I am guessing WB/PKG's marketing and PR is thinking the same. So may as well save it all up for one big whopping number.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I am sure they'll release sales figures a month or so after the final last gen version ships for the Switch in July. Well, maybe they will shortly after the PS4XO versions drop, but I have a feeling this is going to sell strongly on the Switch and I am guessing WB/PKG's marketing and PR is thinking the same. So may as well save it all up for one big whopping number.

Once it’s done selling on all the platforms I can see it hitting 30M.

AJUMP23

My character was Trans and proud and everyone in the game knew to call me "they" without asking. I am a bit miffed that the game didn't let me fuck Sirona though. The racial representation in the game was decent too. Really nothing to complain about for those people other than the original creator of the IP saying something that was ignorant.

I find the whole concept of boycotting and trying to force others to boycott bizarre. At the end of the day, everything we buy ends up lining the pockets of some obnoxiously wealthy cunt. At least it gives the people working on it a chance to produce something and be successful.

They need to do a sequel at a different school. The world in this game was fine, but who really wants to go to the same place again? They mentioned a bigger school in Africa, and there are clearly others they could make up in cool locations.
They wrote it in generic terms. Characters they talk about every character in generic terms so they do not have to record multiple voice lines. It isn't because all the people know you are an attention seeking wierdo, it is just the writers wanted to reduce the voice lines to one instead of two.

That is a big distortion from what I said about good games, from big franchises, selling well.
Nice strawman arguments you got there....
Yes because you're so damn vague!

When is a game good?

When it has

Good steam reviews?
Good user reviews?
When it gets game of the year?
When you personally like it?
If It has a good metacritic score? ( Apparently not this)

All you've said is so far Is a game is good if you personally enjoy it. Which I agree with on a personal level but to then extrapolate that it must be good for everybody and therefore sell millions is ridiculous.

good. I'm not even a Harry Potter fan and had never read the books (did watch a few of the movies before thou), but fuck those losers who's harassing people for playing this game, especially when they were harrassing some of the most whole some content creaters like Babish, Girlfriend Review, and Pikamee. how self-center can you be when you're bullying people who's trying to use the profit of their content to actually help LGBTQ charities. bunch of self righteous scums.

Pollux

Give me Quidditch in a sequel, throw more day to day and relationship crap in there, a morality system and it would be my GOAT. Also, more spells - there's more to the dark arts than the 3 unforgiveables - let the developers go fucking wild with that shit.

mdkirby

Well, I hope that this becomes a perfect comparative analysis for them when suicide squad falls flat on its face to terrible numbers and sky high levels of player and critic dissatisfaction.

Hopefully the conclusion they draw is “just make a great single player game with love, that the players want, and isn’t rammed with every toxic monetisation method imaginable and it will make us lots of money”

Sadly I doubt that’s the lesson they will learn. Instead it’ll be “wow, can you imagine how much money we’d have made if we crammed it full of micro-transaction and had it multiplayer?!!!”

Last edited:
Top Bottom