• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vieo's review of HERO! (OMG TEH SPOILERS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vieo

Bottomline: Worst movie of the year.

First of all, if you've seen the previews of this movie, they are VERY misleading, and that in itself is an understatement. They would have you believe that this is a high-flying martial arts movie, when it's actually not. They do more sitting down and discussing their feelings than in Steel Magnolias.

Remember that scene in the comercial where they fire off a huge wave of arrows, they show a close up of Jet Li's hand going for his sword, and then show all the arrows in the wall but a body shaped where the arrows supposedly missed because he used his 1337 martial arts skill to fend them off? Well, when they really did fire those arrows at him, it was at his execution, he had no sword and he died.

The movie basically goes like this: Theres this king who wants to unite all of the lands under one power. They make you think the King is evil for about the first 45 minutes of the movie by making you think he wants to unite all of the lands because he's an evil tyrant who wants to conquer everything. But you later find out that he only wants to unite the lands under one power because it would bring about peace.

Ok, so the main characters are three assassins who are out to kill the king, and Jet Li is supposed to be the great warrior who killed the assassins and stopped them from killing the king, thus allowing the King to conquer all of the other lands, have them under one power and create peace for all. (Or this is what they have you believe in the previews)

The plot twist is that Jet Li was a friend of one of the assassins. He then conspires with the assassins to make it look like he(Jet Li) killed them (assassins). You see, the reward for killing one of the three assassins is being allowed to drink within a certain distance of the king; 10 paces for each kill. As it turns out, while the King was on his quest to unite the lands, he slaughtered Jet Li's family while attacking one of the kingdoms. So Nameless(as jet li is called in the movie), is really out to kill the king.

The whole movie takes place with Jet Li inside of the palace telling the king how he dispatched each assassin. After he finishes each tale, the king lets him move 10 paces closer to him. When he finishes the last tale, he's within 10 paces of the king. The king then informs Nameless that he knows that he was friends with the assassins and that he didn't really kill them, but just made it look like he did.
So then the King thinks Nameless is there to kill him, but what the king doesn't know is that before Nameless left on his mission to kill the King, Broken Sword (one of the assassin's names, I'm not making this up here) backs out on the plan and asked Nameless not to kill the King. Nameless tells the king that Broken Sword understands what the King is trying to do fully and that he really means to bring peace. The King is touched by this because Broken Sword was his most feared enemy and he finds the revelation that Broken Sword is the only one who understands him, to be very shocking.
Then the king gives Nameless a sword (because his guards wouldn't let him into the palace with a weapon) and turns his back. He figures that if Broken Sword understands, then Nameless would understand too. Nameless doesn't kill the king but just says some touchy feely crap like.. "Remember all those who gave their life for peace.", turns and walks away. This is the scene where he's on the steps surrounded by like 1,000 guards. The king's council say that an example must be shown and that he must execute Nameless, the King then reluctantly gives the order and Nameless gets killed in the fashion I told you above.
Then in the last scene of the movie, Flying Snow (the third assassin, and also Broken Sword's lover), is really pissed that Nameless didn't kill the king when he could of. She blames Broken Sword for telling him not to kill the King. They start fighting. Long story short, Broken Sword drops his sword at the last moment and Flying Snow fatally wounds him. She asks why he didn't defend the attack and he says something like "So you would believe." then dies. She screams, cries, then kills herself. It's like freaking Hamlet all over again.

Anyway, if you ask me, there is a serious government undertone to this movie... something like.. "If your country's government tries to counquer the entire world, don't go against them because it will eventually bring about eternal peace!".

This movie is visually stunning at times if you enjoyed walking on water, flying through trees fight scenes that happened in Crouch Tiger Hidden Dragon. They also overuse the whole "shit blowing in the wind" effect. I mean, everything in his movie is blowing in the wind. All of the character'ss hair (every person in this movie has long hair), all of the character's robes (they all wear flowing robes), leaves and shit, water and shit, basically a lot of shit.

In my opinion, The Five Deadly Venoms still reigns supreme, so just buy that instead of going to see this movie.

Boogie9IGN

I love this movie

EDIT: Quick question, since I'm assuming you saw the US theatrical, is it dubbed or anything?

Vieo

Quick question, since I'm assuming you saw the US theatrical, is it dubbed or anything?

I don't know. The DVD of it that I have is in ALL chinese. The box, the DVD menus, everything. They have English subtitles but no dubbing. Also, I think they had japanese subtitles and japanese dubbing.

Boogie9IGN

Vieo said:
I don't know. The DVD of it that I have is in ALL chinese. The box, the DVD menus, everything. They have English subtitles but no dubbing. Also, I think they had japanese subtitles and japanese dubbing.

Oh, you saw the same DVD I have, alright

Bob White

I loved Hero too but it burned me out on that type of wire fighting stuff. It should be the last movie that ever uses that style of action.

Vieo

Have you seen any other Zhang Yimou films, and if so, did you like them?

Dunno, I've watched a lot of Martial Arts films, but I have no idea who the directors are. In the commerials they have on tv, they keep giving that Quintent Quarinto guy credit for this movie. I wonder why. =P

karasu

Bob White said:
I loved Hero too but it burned me out on that type of wire fighting stuff. It should be the last movie that ever uses that style of action.

lmao yeah right.

Quentin Tarantino is only presenting the movie, he didn't direct it or produce it or anything else. HE convinced Miramaxe to keep it in it's original form.

pnjtony

I liked Hero a lot, but I agree with the government undertones. I think it was financed by the Chinese govt too.

Anyways, for an excellent Jet Li movie, I suggest Fist Of Legend. By far his best as far as martial arts goes.

karasu

pnjtony said:
I liked Hero a lot, but I agree with the government undertones. I think it was financed by the Chinese govt too.

Naw, it wasn't financed by the government.

It was just meant to pose a question about what it means to be a hero/who wa sthe Hero. I don't think he intended for it to be pro communism or anything. His films are notorious for pissing off the PRC..

shuri

Banned
I hate wirefu, yet I think that Hero is one of the best martial art movie released in the past 10 years

Pellham

Banned
woah,t his is a Zhang Yimou movie?

Anyway, I love Zhang Yimou, he is responsible for two really awesome movies (To Live and Raise the Red Lantern), but he has made a ton of movies so it's not surprising that some of them are "misses".

Yeah it is, and To Live and Raise the Red Lantern are two of the best movies to ever come out of China (or anywhere, for that matter).

Stele

Holds a little red book
Vieo said:
I think I have the same DVD. The subtitling on the disc is amateurish, and makes some lines sound awkward, but that's partially because there's too many syntaxical differences between English and Chinese.
"If your country's government tries to counquer the entire world, don't go against them because it will eventually bring about eternal peace!"
It's about the peace and prosperity of the common people. Sometimes fighting doesn't bring about that.

=W=

I love this friggin' movie so much. Can't wait to see it in the theater this friday.

Slightly off topic, but I watched Once Upon a Time in China II today. Not as good as the first one, but still really good. I hear that it is wise to skip the third one though.

Stele

Holds a little red book
It's figurative. Whose under heaven? The people. It's also a term that only extends to China.

I didn't like this one either.

Cool costumes/sets and some beautiful camera shots, but the movie just seemed to be so in love with itself to the point where it was almost insulting. Endless slowmo shots of hair whipping and robes flapping, director going for the money shot every five seconds of each fight scene (all of which were middling at best), weak and preachy story...

Overblown and dull.

Vieo

Cool costumes/sets and some beautiful camera shots, but the movie just seemed to be so in love with itself to the point where it was almost insulting. Endless slowmo shots of hair whipping and robes flapping, director going for the money shot every five seconds of each fight scene (all of which were middling at best), weak and preachy story...

Yeah, there was totally too much shit flapping in the wind!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Vieo said:
Dunno, I've watched a lot of Martial Arts films, but I have no idea who the directors are. In the commerials they have on tv, they keep giving that Quintent Quarinto guy credit for this movie. I wonder why. =P
Not knowing Tarantino's name instantly disqualifies your theatrical opinion. At least that's what I say.

aoi tsuki

Vieo said:
Bottomline: Worst movie of the year.
i saw Hero some time ago and loved it. Too much crap flying in the wind? Please. If anything, the wind was personified and the use of color was just breathtaking. The way the story unfolds in an unlinear fashion reminds me of Tarantino's own work. The end of the scene where Flying Arrow and the character played by Zhang Ziyi fight nearly brought a tear to my eye. The thing is, the fighting is such a secondary (or possibly tertiary) aspect to the movie, that i could've cared less whether it was wire or not. If anything, like in Crouching Tiger, it gave the characters a mythical aspect which seems fitting. i didn't like the ending either; i figured Nameless would simply, leave the emperor's castle and wander the land, but whatever.

i haven't seen all of Li or Yimou's movies, but after seeing many of the same type of MA movies over the years, more artistically-presented, story-driven are really a refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom