• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanted: Dead | Review Thread

Virex

Banned
I was 1 trophy away from 1000 on The Ascent as well but it was bugged, and they did fix it supposedly but didn't work for me. It's a bummer but I just try to not care that much about achievements these days.
I like achievements and trophies. But I find it strange that in the trophy / achievement community there are a lot of people that will flat out refuse to buy a game based on certain trophy conditions etc. Very strange to be honest, but I try to 100% every game I play, but if it's not possible then it's no big deal for me. What's important if I had fun is what matters. But having 1 trophy/achievement glitch when it's the only one you need is a shit feeling

stn

Worth 30 bucks? Its on sale now.
If you like action but can handle some jank and difficulty spikes, its worth it. I like the game, personally, despite its flaws. Waiting on that patch with fixes and new content that the devs announced.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't recall, but did you play Sifu? If you did what did you think about it?
Got the platinum in Sifu. Loved it. Amazing game if you have the patience to really, really focus on extreme repetition and mastery. One of the best beat em ups ever.

Unfortunately it is a roguelike so that drags it down for me. But there's stage breaks and ways around it.

John Bilbo

Got the platinum in Sifu. Loved it. Amazing game if you have the patience to really, really focus on extreme repetition and mastery. One of the best beat em ups ever.

Unfortunately it is a roguelike so that drags it down for me. But there's stage breaks and ways around it.
I finished Sekiro some time ago. I think I might go with Sifu next for that kind of thing.

RedC

Whatever happened to a big patch they promised months ago?

I already beat the game but was waiting for the patch before I replayed it.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Whatever happened to a big patch they promised months ago?

I already beat the game but was waiting for the patch before I replayed it.

Yeah, people on steam forums are seething about this since this has been promised since - Late February IIRC ?
Apparently, a recent tweet/X post from the official page posted on the 28th of August mentions that they're still working on it, personally, I wouldn't bet on it...

Anyway, limited edition goes frequently on sale on Amazon (30-35 euros) and it's on sale right now on PSN at 27 euros for those interested.

Maybe it will launch soon-ish on GP/PS plus since it underperformed ?

Cheers

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Will wait till it's $10.

Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Fuck man, I should have bought the collector's edition when it was 30 Eurodollars a couple of weeks back on Amazon, now it's back to 60+.

It's on sale at the moment on Xbox and PS for 27 Eurodollars (which I could get for 17 since I have some PS stars vouchers) but...that collector's edition looks mighty nice...

Got Armored core 6 which I haven't played that much yet since I got caught up with Days gone but I could really play something silly like WD right after I'm done with Days gone later today.

What say you Punished Miku Punished Miku ? 😁

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I will stress again though, anyone that buys this game should decide to do it 100% on their own. For many people it's one of the worst games they've ever played apparently and they intensely hate it. It reviewed poorly almost everywhere.

For me it was a 9/10 and one of my favorite action games of all time. It is a AA game though for sure, and I had a couple small glitches here and there.

Point is the game is intensely divisive so I cannot predict who is going to like it. I love it. You may hate it. No idea! Up to you sir.

It's also very challenging and there's hard spikes in difficulty all the time, on bosses and normal enemies. I think a lot of people may not be able to finish it. I finished it 7x, and beat every difficulty level but it is challenging. It's like a lost PS3/360 action and cover shooter.

P.S. Anyone that does buy it, and manages to withstand the pure, undiluted pain of the crane mini-game like I did will be rewarded with some hilarious cooking show videos hosted by Stephanie Joosten. I'd watch a whole show of this.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I will stress again though, anyone that buys this game should decide to do it 100% on their own. For many people it's one of the worst games they've ever played apparently and they intensely hate it. It reviewed poorly almost everywhere.

For me it was a 9/10 and one of my favorite action games of all time. It is a AA game though for sure, and I had a couple small glitches here and there.

Point is the game is intensely divisive so I cannot predict who is going to like it. I love it. You may hate it. No idea! Up to you sir.

It's also very challenging and there's hard spikes in difficulty all the time, on bosses and normal enemies. I think a lot of people may not be able to finish it. I finished it 7x, and beat every difficulty level but it is challenging. It's like a lost PS3/360 action and cover shooter.

P.S. Anyone that does buy it, and manages to withstand the pure, undiluted pain of the crane mini-game like I did will be rewarded with some hilarious cooking show videos hosted by Stephanie Joosten. I'd watch a whole show of this.

Thanks man

Also this is what i'm talking about :

It's just so good looking that i'd actually like to place it on a shelf, in fact, i'm more interested in the steelbook and extras than the actual game itself :D

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'll try to be as much as humanly objective as I can :

The game - when everything "clicks" - and something doesn't "break" (camera/1shot kills off-camera) CAN in fact be enjoyable.
The OST is kick-ass and the interactive tune that plays during the slow-mo special move is even more so.
Aesthetics are hit and miss but the 80's dystopian Cyberpunk vibe the game has works to its advantage (even if it takes place in 2022).

Having said that, this feels like...a money laundering "product" ?

- Game has been abandoned for 6 months now with no (promised) patch in sight.

- Terrible camera

- Absolutely mediocre animations

- Not consistent Game systems that work only when they feel like to (wall hug/wall hug movement/wall hug shooting etc)

- Terrible aiming/shooting controls

- Glitchy as fuck

- Bugs ahoy : graphical ones like the lower part of the screen lighting up like an Xmas tree on the lower part of the screen in some spots, constantly visible semi-transparent rectangles on the lower left part of the screen.
And the worst part ? CONSTANT, easily replicable crashes to the dashboard, must have had 7 already since last night.

I could go on and on but this shit A) hasn't been playtested properly and B) feels uber-cheap down to its core.
How the fuck did they have the gall to sell this for 60 Eurodollars...it boggles the mind.

The general lack of polish shows every second that you're playing but it's something that I could have stomached IF the fucking game didn't also crash constantly.

You know what ? it's a shame since some of the characters , cutscene direction and general presentation are not bad at all in some spots but...this game is friggin unfinished , feels like you're playing an Alpha version of the product.
Suda 51 games feel like AAAA in comparison.

These m'fugghas must have spent ALL of their budget on the licensed music tracks and the Maserati license 'cause...yeah.

Spent 17 Euros on this and I still feel robbed - feels like something that you shouldn't be playing (like someone stole the code from the devs and gave it to you).

God damn, it's been since the PS2 days that I have played something as unpolished as this.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This game on paper is a 5/10.

For me it ended up being a 8.5/10. All of the points from someone who tells you how bad it is are likely all valid , but if you are a fan of say something like deadly premonition? Yeah you won’t care about those things because it’s such a fun experience.

El Muerto

The game didnt review well, but it is fun to play. It was definitely a challenge on hard. It's just nice to play an original game, with an original story, with likeable characters, and good combat. This is one of those games that fly under the radar, but get popular years later. Hanging onto my copy as i believe it will grow in value.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This game on paper is a 5/10.

For me it ended up being a 8.5/10. All of the points from someone who tells you how bad it is are likely all valid , but if you are a fan of say something like deadly premonition? Yeah you won’t care about those things because it’s such a fun experience.

Brother, I get it, I really do, besides, I'm no stranger to "quirky" games it's just that the general lack of polish is really something in this game, I mean, I can excuse the mediocre animations, I can deal with the camera (still have PTSD from IS guys on Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja), I can deal deal with the terribad aiming, I can deal with the horrible frame fluctuations even when doing basic things like playing the crane minigame, I can deal with the BS off-camera 1shot kills (spider tank), the terrible checkpoints etc but...I gotta draw a line when It's all of the above AND the constant crashes (PS5) AND the total lack of support from the company, heck, tried to search on the web earlier regarding the rectangle graphic bug and nothing came up, searching for "Wanted dead" results in a couple of hits only on Reddit.
Heck, there are things in this game that should have been patched months ago and yet there has been total radio silence on Soleil's part.

I've played shitty games like the Onenchanbara ones amongst others but nothing, nothing has ever come close to how this game is unpolished.

Again, I am having fun when everything works but most things in this game work against it - the fact that this was sold for 60 is a crime no matter how much of a dispensable income one has.

Cheers

PS : Tried to find this on the sales tab on PSN and...nothing - get this - it is under the "Playstation indies " sales tab 🤣🤣

EDIT : Forgot to mention something very important :
On Playstation, The game has the " Free upgrade to PS5" tab on its cover, and yet, there's no upgrade option when you try to upgrade the PS4 version since it actually requires you to BUY the game AGAIN.

Same thing for the digital version, got the PS5 one and I wasn't also offered the PS4 one like 99% of the games on PS.

Smells like a (literal) scam

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Brother, I get it, I really do, besides, I'm no stranger to "quirky" games it's just that the general lack of polish is really something in this game, I mean, I can excuse the mediocre animations, I can deal with the camera (still have PTSD from IS guys on Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja), I can deal deal with the terribad aiming, I can deal with the horrible frame fluctuations even when doing basic things like playing the crane minigame, I can deal with the BS off-camera 1shot kills (spider tank), the terrible checkpoints etc but...I gotta draw a line when It's all of the above AND the constant crashes (PS5) AND the total lack of support from the company, heck, tried to search on the web earlier regarding the rectangle graphic bug and nothing came up, searching for "Wanted dead" results in a couple of hits only on Reddit.
Heck, there are things in this game that should have been patched months ago and yet there has been total radio silence on Soleil's part.

I've played shitty games like the Onenchanbara ones amongst others but nothing, nothing has ever come close to how this game is unpolished.

Again, I am having fun when everything works but most things in this game work against it - the fact that this was sold for 60 is a crime no matter how much of a dispensable income one has.

Cheers

PS : Tried to find this on the sales tab on PSN and...nothing - get this - it is under the "Playstation indies " sales tab 🤣🤣

EDIT : Forgot to mention something very important :
On Playstation, The game has the " Free upgrade to PS5" tab on its cover, and yet, there's no upgrade option when you try to upgrade the PS4 version since it actually requires you to BUY the game AGAIN.

Same thing for the digital version, got the PS5 one and I wasn't also offered the PS4 one like 99% of the games on PS.

Smells like a (literal) scam

I played on PC so I can’t comment on console quality .

RagnarokIV

I'll get it on a steam sale or CDkeys cheap, love it and then feel awful like I mugged them. Happened with Metro 2033.

And just like Metro I'll proceed to buy it on every single platform, in every single release, and bully my stupid fat fucken retard friend into doing the same.

RaduN

I love this genre. It's probably my favourite.
Got this game cheap, however i have this unsolvable(?) issue on my base ps4, where the cutscenes have very bad audio/voices, distorted and full of clicks and pops, like you hear in an emulator that runs way below the full speed (not the case here obviously, and the video actually runs smooth).
No fix for this either, which is too bad as i was really ready to enjoy this one.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I love this genre. It's probably my favourite.
Got this game cheap, however i have this unsolvable(?) issue on my base ps4, where the cutscenes have very bad audio/voices, distorted and full of clicks and pops, like you hear in an emulator that runs way below the full speed (not the case here obviously, and the video actually runs smooth).
No fix for this either, which is too bad as i was really ready to enjoy this one.

LOL, another bug...

ones i had :
- game crashing many times in a row
- permanent, semi-transaprent rectangle graphic on the lower left part of the screen (?)
- sound disappearing

PSA : i know that some people are actually interested in this due to pure curiosity but...dont get fooled by the tag "from the creators of Ninja Gaiden", this game is bad, sure, you can have your fun for 7 hours with it but other than that it's buggy, glitchy, ugly looking and still in "alpha" state (the slowdowns on PS5 are actually lol), the actual balls on these guys that not only released this POS in this sorry state but also charged 60 Eurodollars for it , this has gota to be some kind of money-laundering scheme.
The devs also promised a patch...almost a year ago and still nothing in sight (obviously)

30 Eurodollars is way too high of a price for this, get it when it's 10 (and that's being generous).

It's not cute, it's not "endearing" and it's most def. not like "those" AA PS2 games of yore, this is just bad.

The only game i disliked this year

Last edited:
Hmm... it's €20 rn at a local retailer. Very tempting to try the game out at that price without getting buyer's remorse in case I don't like it.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Thread resurrection !

I finished today for the 2nd time on Hard mode and :

I'll have to insist that this is one of the most unpolished, buggy, unfinished and trashy games of the last decade.

- Latest patch did exactly jack and shit when it comes to the framerate and other fixes.
Game still goes in slow-mo in the same exact spots as it did pre-patch.

- Same visual bugs are still apparent in the PS5 version like the transparent rectangle graphic on the lower left side.of the screen, white flashes on the lower part of the screen etc etc.

- Still randomly crashes to the dashboard

- Not that I give 2 fooks about achievements/trophies in general but on the PS5 at least, half of them are not unlocking - the latest patch supposedly fixed 1 achievement that has to do with the finishers but...what about the rest ? I'm talking about basic ones like finishing the tutorials, finishing specific stages, unlocking all upgrades etc.
I'm literally missing half of them.

- Game remains literally unfair with all the bullshit off-screen 1-hit KO's from bazooka dudes and/or black ninjas due to the game's abhorrent camera system - this is worse than Ninja gaiden 2 with all the I.S Ninja dudes bullshit and that's saying something.
Also, some of the worst check points of the past 10+ years.

- Game's short, like, 4 hours long tops when you take all the bullshit mini games, cutscenes and HQ sections out of it.

Anyway, I suppose that when you're "in the zone" slashing and slow-mo special-move killing 4 enemies in a row can actually lead to some fun but, again, the game is so fookin' unpolished that it becomes a detriment to the fun you're trying to have with it.
The only reason I stick with it is because I'm a masochist and I enjoy challenging games.

What I wouldn't give for a polished, well-functioning version of the same game...the ending obviously suggests a continuation/sequel but, if it's anything like the 1st game I'd rather not.

It's a shame, there's some good ideas in here especially for hardcore character action game fans but... everything, from the camera to the systems, to the general polish are soooo lacking to the point of being frustrating that it's really tough to recommend it - I got it for 15 Eurodollars and still, it be hard for me to recommend it to other people - and it's not because it's a "marmite" game but because everything in it works against it, it's full of half-arsed ideas and systems, it's ugly, it's buggy, it's frustrating.

It's the most 5.5/10 game I've ever played, it's kind of a guilty pleasure but besides that...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Thread resurrection !

I finished today for the 2nd time on Hard mode and :

I'll have to insist that this is one of the most unpolished, buggy, unfinished and trashy games of the last decade.

- Latest patch did exactly jack and shit when it comes to the framerate and other fixes.
Game still goes in slow-mo in the same exact spots as it did pre-patch.

- Same visual bugs are still apparent in the PS5 version like the transparent rectangle graphic on the lower left side.of the screen, white flashes on the lower part of the screen etc etc.

- Still randomly crashes to the dashboard

- Not that I give 2 fooks about achievements/trophies in general but on the PS5 at least, half of them are not unlocking - the latest patch supposedly fixed 1 achievement that has to do with the finishers but...what about the rest ? I'm talking about basic ones like finishing the tutorials, finishing specific stages, unlocking all upgrades etc.
I'm literally missing half of them.

- Game remains literally unfair with all the bullshit off-screen 1-hit KO's from bazooka dudes and/or black ninjas due to the game's abhorrent camera system - this is worse than Ninja gaiden 2 with all the I.S Ninja dudes bullshit and that's saying something.
Also, some of the worst check points of the past 10+ years.

- Game's short, like, 4 hours long tops when you take all the bullshit mini games, cutscenes and HQ sections out of it.

Anyway, I suppose that when you're "in the zone" slashing and slow-mo special-move killing 4 enemies in a row can actually lead to some fun but, again, the game is so fookin' unpolished that it becomes a detriment to the fun you're trying to have with it.
The only reason I stick with it is because I'm a masochist and I enjoy challenging games.

What I wouldn't give for a polished, well-functioning version of the same game...the ending obviously suggests a continuation/sequel but, if it's anything like the 1st game I'd rather not.

It's a shame, there's some good ideas in here especially for hardcore character action game fans but... everything, from the camera to the systems, to the general polish are soooo lacking to the point of being frustrating that it's really tough to recommend it - I got it for 15 Eurodollars and still, it be hard for me to recommend it to other people - and it's not because it's a "marmite" game but because everything in it works against it, it's full of half-arsed ideas and systems, it's ugly, it's buggy, it's frustrating.

It's the most 5.5/10 game I've ever played, it's kind of a guilty pleasure but besides that...
I don't know if the game crashed to dashboard at all on Xbox. That sucks about the PS5 version. I agree, the patch so far doesn't appear to have really changed much of anything.

What bazooka guys are 1 hit KOing you? I think you maybe advanced too quickly in whatever section you're in. Certain encounters really wreck you if you're out of the ideal position. It's an action game where you sometimes have to sometimes play it strictly as a cover shooter or you get shredded in seconds. The only thing I can remember is enemies with a grenade launcher, and the big gatling gun guys. If it's the grenade launcher people, one key thing is that every shot has the red glowing counter you can exploit if you make it to mid or close range. If it's the gatling gun guys, I always just make sure to fully stay in cover until I can get close and just fight them at point blank range the whole time. Also, always use the incendiary grenades if you are getting overwhelmed because they basically act as a pause button that freezes whatever enemies it hits for 6-7 seconds (you can just pummel them the whole time with pistol shots too while they are burning if you are in range, and not even waste any ammo). I do remember a few parts where grenade launcher guys are up on a 2nd story ledge, and I always take them out at a distance before I get in their range or else you're basically finished.

But yeah, there's no doubt it's not the most polished game and I would love it if they improved it. It sounds (dare I say it) like you slightly enjoyed it this time though. Maybe give it another shot after more patches and it will move to a 5.75 for you lol. I've beaten it like 9x.

Last edited:

Filben

I dropped it after some real difficulty spike around 80% of the story, and very late game. There's a section that is tremendously long without a checkpoint and no option of a revive. I'm escaping on roof tops and alleys and only have this one guy who don't do shit.

Bosses weren't a problem and I had a much harder time with Sekiro or Elden Ring overall. Up until that point. One error or misjudgment, that could have usually overcome earlier, and that's it. Ninja guy comes out of a weird angle and was easy to miss. Doesn't help that some medpack drops are bugged and can't be picked up despite having room for it.

Maybe I give it a try some time again. Really enjoyed it up to that point.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I dropped it after some real difficulty spike around 80% of the story, and very late game. There's a section that is tremendously long without a checkpoint and no option of a revive. I'm escaping on roof tops and alleys and only have this one guy who don't do shit.

Bosses weren't a problem and I had a much harder time with Sekiro or Elden Ring overall. Up until that point. One error or misjudgment, that could have usually overcome earlier, and that's it. Ninja guy comes out of a weird angle and was easy to miss. Doesn't help that some medpack drops are bugged and can't be picked up despite having room for it.

You're at the end of the game. But there's 1 or 2 more checkpoints following that one that are possibly even more unforgiving. I'm always down for giving tips for people, but also never be afraid to just drop the difficulty down. It's a short game and can be beaten and then replayed on higher difficulties multiple times if you want.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Yep, that's another big one - it literally can fuck up your current checkpoint playthrough.Closing the game and restarting it fixes it up but it shouldn't be so.
Also, that part of the game/checkpoint you're mentioning, especially on a 1st playthrough is just nope.
My favorite one is the last one (i think?) before doing the double spider-tank boss-fight where you're with a full squad and there's about 6 white ninjas, 3-4 brown ones, Rocket guys on 2 balconies and then, after you're FINALLY done with them, you get greeted by 2 black ninjas, shit's literally unfair since when you die you have to do everything from the beginning.

Again, it's not that the game is that hard, it's that the checkpoints are literally bullshit.

For me, the worst 3 parts about the game are :
- The fucking 2nd boss fight (August), it's just weird and random on whether you're gonna get 1-shot or 2-shot off-screen from his bazooka on the 1st phase or whether he's gonna be passive or super aggressive in the 2nd phase.Fun-fact : he's the hardest boss in the game for me, even the last boss fight is a complete joke compared to this one.

- The checkpoint you mentioned

- The checkpoint i mentioned

Fuck man, again, what i wouldn't give for a proper, polished version of this game, there's just too much jank which can get overwhelming.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
- The fucking 2nd boss fight (August), it's just weird and random on whether you're gonna get 1-shot or 2-shot off-screen from his bazooka on the 1st phase or whether he's gonna be passive or super aggressive in the 2nd phase.Fun-fact : he's the hardest boss in the game for me, even the last boss fight is a complete joke compared to this one.
I actually had the exact same opinion on the August fight and it finally clicked for me on the 3rd or 4th run. It's still not completely polished, but you can do it somewhat cleanly. Basically have to shred the low level enemies with finishers the whole time to stay in i-frames until they're all dead. Charge/Hold melee slice or grenade launcher softens them up fast, and land your pistol counters. 2nd phase he has a unique ability to switch from melee to ranged that most of the bosses don't have. Stay near the pillars. You have to basically sit in cover and shoot blindfire. He'll shoot a bit then he'll come to you for a melee attack and you have to land the parries, get a short combo in and then retreat to cover again. Then 3rd phase it's just melee boss fight like the others.

I thought the fight was literally busted and then it suddenly made sense much later. So I kinda know how you feel on that one.

Last edited:

stn

I hated the August fight. I'm probably going to lower the difficulty tonight so I can finally beat the game, then do a more difficult second run after they patch it. I like the game overall but some sections are very infuriating due to the game's lack of polish. I've been stuck on one pretty long section in chapter 4, and I want to just beat the game finally (even if it means I need to wear cat ears, or whatever the joke is when you play on the easiest difficulty).

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Welp, there's new update out (365 MB) 🤔
Edit : there's a new player statistics option AND a new cover mode (manual/automatic)

Achievements are still bugged
Graphical bugs is still there ffs

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

I got it digital, but the CE looked nice enough. I wanted that patch lol.

Up to you entirely. You may love the game or hate it intensely. You're on your own sir.
I wish the CE had a plushie of the orange cat, then it’d be a no brainer. It’s a valentines gift so I may go standard edition and get Nier Automata too.

Top Bottom