• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump’s voter-fraud commission wants to know info of every voter in the U.S.

Tovarisc

1qXWrQA.png

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/880855717518901248

Tigress

I'm worried about Washington who has a republican Secretary of State whose line they gave me is we won't give some information but since other like if we voted is considered public information that is givable.

Starting to think they knew the voter roll requests would be rejected so they can use it to feed their fraud narrative.

They are already saying "what do these secretaries of state have to hide" on the radio.

Of course Georgia is going to comply. JFC.

Edit: hmmm, seems what they're providing won't include private or privileged information.

SaviourMK2

The voter-fraud commission can fuck off. Why should we surrender information to a commission run by a biased voter fraud propaganda believer when they've offered zero evidence to back up Trump's claim?

We don't need to prove they're wrong. It's fact

D i Z

Even if they don't find anything, Trump and his Minions will still cry voters fraud.

They'll cry anyway. This is useful for gerrymandering and other methods of voter suppression. Not so much for disseminating correct information to the masses, which is something they have never had any intention of doing.

What would his idiot commission even do with this information?
Assuming they're looking to identify fraud, they would cross check the information to look for duplicate voting. Does Firstname: Widdle, Lastname: Puppy, DOB: 1/1/1990, SSN: xxx-xx-1234 (and maybe a couple of other fields) show up as having voted in the 2016 general election in both California and Texas? That might be a case of voting fraud. This kind of voting fraud (people with old addresses that still receive absentee ballots, people with 2nd addresses, etc...) happens a bit more than the in-person voting fraud Republicans use to scaremonger into voter ID laws, but it's still probably a drop in the bucket.

What I assume they really want to do is gin up a big number they can point to in order to claim Trump really won the popular vote. If they drop any one of those comparison fields, there are enough people in a population of 300m+ that have the same name that this would generate a shitload of false positives. I recently took an old voter file I had lying around and out of ~14,000 people, if I only did first and last name, >1,000 showed as dupes. Adding YOB, I still had ~50. So I expect them to do what I did. Cross checking against just first and last name is going to be an absurd number, so they'll probably tailor the cross check to target a number around what Trump lost by.

This is a win-win for Trump. If he gets the data, he gets it. If he doesn't he will tell everyone that the Democrats are hiding something, why else refuse? Then it muddies the water regarding hacking, voter manipulation, etc.

rfield84

Banned
This is a win-win for Trump. If he gets the data, he gets it. If he doesn't he will tell everyone that the Democrats are hiding something, why else refuse? Then it muddies the water regarding hacking, voter manipulation, etc.

My state's (Mississippi) Secretary of State (a Republican) just refused him. Good luck on Trump trying to spin that into partisan politics.

Yes, that line of logic works when Mississippi and South Dakota and their Republican Secretaries of State have denied the request.

I just can't see that working. Even the more hardcore Republicans are likely strongly against their personal information/voting records being sold and made publicly available by the white house. I just can't see how they would spin it so that that base would eat it up outside of people who are hopelessly brainwashed especially when a significant number of Republican leaders have already came out against the request.

Sianos

"The letter asks that the information be submitted to the email address “ElectionIntegrityStaff@ovp.eop.gov,” which does not use basic security protocols."

HM I WONDER WHY THAT COULD BE
spectre-what.gif

Armaros

Multiple governors and AGs of red states just refused him or are going to just give them already public information and refusijgnto hand over private info.

I'm not sure how widespread it is, but during the last election some Republican groups send out fliers to neighborhoods basically saying "if you try to sit out this election, we'll make sure your neighbors know..."

I can see people being uncomfortable with that, even while understanding the need for public voting records for transparency.

adj_noun

I'm not sure how widespread it is, but during the last election some Republican groups send out fliers to neighborhoods basically saying "if you try to sit out this election, we'll make sure your neighbors know..."

I can see people being uncomfortable with that, even while understanding the need for public voting records for transparency.

Not even Kobach's own state wants any of it.

Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach (R) says his state will not provide certain information to the voter fraud commission for which he serves as the vice chairman.

The Kansas City Star reported Friday that Kobach has declined to hand over the last four digits of voters' Social Security numbers to the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, the panel created by President Trump to investigate his claim of widespread voter fraud in the 2016 presidential election.

“In Kansas, the Social Security number is not publicly available," he told the Star. "Every state receives the same letter but we’re not asking for it if it’s not publicly available.”

Some officials have said that their state's laws do not permit them to release information that's not publicly available. Others, however, said they would not comply with the request in protest of Trump's establishment of the commission, which some have accused of being a voter suppression tool.

Starting to think they knew the voter roll requests would be rejected so they can use it to feed their fraud narrative.

They are already saying "what do these secretaries of state have to hide" on the radio.

Fox had an article about Democrat governors interfering in the voter fraud investigatation. I only read the headline which was heavy on these "Democrats ruin everything Trump wants to do."

Zolo

Mississippi's secretary of state says he'll tell the commission to go jump in the gulf of Mexico if he receives a request from the commission for personal information about voters.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/30/hosemann-voter-records/444623001/
"As all of you may remember, I fought in federal court to protect Mississippi voters' rights for their privacy and won," Hosemann said. "In the event I were to receive correspondence from the commission requesting (what the other state received) ... My reply would be: They can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi is a great state to launch from."

Beartruck

What is going on this week? Between republicans defying this commission, republican lawmakers denying Trump's attempt to privatize air traffic control, and a council pushing forth a plan to limit Trump's authority to fight ISIS without congressional approval, they seem to be viewing him more as an obstacle to overcome than someone they can rally behind.

Edit: IL hasn't said no yet? What the f?

IMO they basically want to use this info to redraw district lines. They did after all ask for party affiliation to be included in data.

And isn't the guy in charge of this the architect behind past voter suppression efforts.

I'm sure Florida (my state) will hand the data over, which makes my blood boil. They will be hearing from me if that's the case.

Top Bottom