• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump’s voter-fraud commission wants to know info of every voter in the U.S.

SaviourMK2

I think it's stupid to even hand them information. Forgetting this administration's inability to keep secrets or prevent hacking, lying, disclosing secrets to foreign powers. This is a cyber hack waiting to happen, a big chance to steal so much information.

IMO they basically want to use this info to redraw district lines. .

THIS too!

IMO they basically want to use this info to redraw district lines. They did after all ask for party affiliation to be included in data.

And isn't the guy in charge of this the architect behind past voter suppression efforts.

I'm sure Florida (my state) will hand the data over, which makes my blood boil. They will be hearing from me if that's the case.

How? The executive branch has no role in drawing districts.

EDIT: Well, the federal executive branch, anyway.

Zoe

Need to change the law:

Washington has some of the most open public records laws in the country, and Wyman's office cited state public disclosure statute RCW 29A.08.710 in its response. The statute says that a voter's "name, address, political jurisdiction, gender, date of birth, voting record, date of registration, and registration number," can be made available for public inspection.

Only thing missing is the partial SSN.

Tigress

Even "better" when I called her office they pretty much gave me some apologetic bs about how the law says it is public info and they are looking into it but at least they won't give them our ssn.

I called our attorney general asking him to do whatever he could legally to stop her and they were much more receptive and acting like they were already looking into it.

I don't know how we got a republican voted in. I know I didn't vote for her and I surely won't be voting for her next time either.

Fair enough.

What is your take on why they want the info?
TL;DR ;)

I think they want the data to ostensibly cross check it to find instances of multiple voting. That cross check will turn up a huge number of potential dupes (even more so without SSN,) and Trump will use the findings to claim he really won the popular vote.

Zolo

Do you have to register who you voted for in the US when you go to vote?

Seems weird.

In Australia, you tick your name off and are given a piece of paper to mark and drop in a ballot box i.e. each vote is anonymous.

wutwutwut

Do you have to register who you voted for in the US when you go to vote?

Seems weird.

In Australia, you tick your name off and are given a piece of paper to mark and drop in a ballot box i.e. each vote is anonymous.
No, America isn't that backwards. It does have secret ballots.

However you can choose to register as a member of a party (or not). Depending on the state that may allow you to vote in primaries. In the general election though your ballot doesn't have to match your party registration.

No, America isn't that backwards. It does have secret ballots.

However you can choose to register as a member of a party (or not). Depending on the state that may allow you to vote in primaries. In the general election though your ballot doesn't have to match your party registration.

oh, ok.

This is the problem with voting for individuals rather than a party I guess. It makes people register for a political party in order to vote in the Primaries.

Sobriquet

TL;DR ;)

I think they want the data to ostensibly cross check it to find instances of multiple voting. That cross check will turn up a huge number of potential dupes (even more so without SSN,) and Trump will use the findings to claim he really won the popular vote.

This whole ruse is to remove people from the voter rolls, make it harder to register, and harder to vote.

This whole ruse is to remove people from the voter rolls, make it harder to register, and harder to vote.
How?

Again, these are publicly available lists that any candidate can (and does) get. Obviously Trump is hoping to twist them to his advantage, but it's not like together they form Mega-Gerrmanderzilla. What mechanism do you see that would enable them to remove people from voter rolls (aside from people with multiple registrations, which is actually a valid reason to remove them,) make it harder for people to register, or harder to vote?

PBalfredo

7d6.png

Zolo

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/30/hosemann-voter-records/444623001/
"As all of you may remember, I fought in federal court to protect Mississippi voters' rights for their privacy and won," Hosemann said. "In the event I were to receive correspondence from the commission requesting (what the other state received) ... My reply would be: They can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi is a great state to launch from."

41 states have now refused Kobach's request for voter information whether it's only providing public information, outright refusing, or state laws preventing the sharing of the information:

Here's a list of each state and their response:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/trump-commission-requested-voter-data-heres-every-state-saying/

Kobach's getting complaints.

A legal group filed a complaint Monday asking the Justice Department to investigate whether Kris Kobach, the vice chairman of President Trump's voter fraud panel, violated federal law when his 2018 campaign for Kansas governor highlighted his role on the commission.

The complaint by the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law points to multiple alleged violations under the Hatch Act, a law enacted in 1939 that prevents government employees from giving an outright endorsement to political candidates.

The legal group asserts that Kobach improperly used his high-level position on Trump's Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity to promote his gubernatorial campaign on social media.

AndyD

aka andydumi
How?

Again, these are publicly available lists that any candidate can (and does) get. Obviously Trump is hoping to twist them to his advantage, but it's not like together they form Mega-Gerrmanderzilla. What mechanism do you see that would enable them to remove people from voter rolls (aside from people with multiple registrations, which is actually a valid reason to remove them,) make it harder for people to register, or harder to vote?

Not publicly available in all states. And in some states you can get them as a candidate but only by signing an agreement not to use or share them outside certain purposes. In this case they want to get them and make them public, without limits.

And Mega-Germanderzilla does exist. Some states have passed laws that allow private citizens or organizations to challenge voter registrations with little if any evidence, deregistering them, and shifting the main burden on the actual voter. Since there is a high likelihood of cross-matches between name/last four of SSN across the nation, a group can use this mega-database to show to a state "look, x many of your registered voters are registered in another state, de-register them". Then the voter shows up at the booth and he/she is not registered to vote in a primary or main election. Use this effectively in an election and you can influence the voter base significantly.

Not to mention that using name/dob/last four of SSN you can do a whole lot of damage to an individual. This is the standard authentication method for many banks, utilities and so forth. Give the databases of currently inaccessible info to the public and you can have significant access and ability to harass people at large.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/07/14/white-house-releases-sensitive-personal-information-of-voters-worried-about-their-sensitive-personal-information/?utm_term=.e783930b417d

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-house-privacy-contact-information_us_59692914e4b0d6341fe8de2c

The White House on Thursday made public a trove of emails it received from voters offering comment on its Election Integrity Commission. The commission drew widespread criticism when it emerged into public view by asking for personal information, including addresses, partial social security numbers and party affiliation, on every voter in the country.

“DO NOT RELEASE ANY OF MY VOTER DATA PERIOD,” wrote one voter whose name and email address was published by the White House.

WaPo link is paywalled.

Top Bottom