• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

Wace

Pe-8! Yes, baby, come to me with all your glory! Engine-sitting gunners!!!

Hot from the press: FAB-5000 officially confirmed! Not with the next patch, unfortunately, but it will come.

The Pe-8 bomber that launched the bomb from an altitude of 5,800 m was shaken by the shockwave of the explosion.
fab5000_3-FAB-5000-bomb-02.jpg

Can't wait to see it in tanks AB.
007_3.png

Wace

Little map updates for upcoming patch:

Karelia: nothing worth mentioning
Kursk: nothing (will be updated in later patches, village added)
Carpathian: major changes
Finland: worked on
Eastern Europe: growth thinned in the center
Normandy, Poland: bushes got smaller (not approved yet)
Berlin: no changes but destructible buildings

eFKac

Tiger II with 10.5 cm is not really that much better than H model. Jagdtiger on the other hand can be quite deadly in any match. I had moderate success with Jagdpanther, but it should really be 6.3.

I'd say that on a bigger distance when it's hard to hit the front plate of the turret and he he has a chance to pierce my front hull armor makes it a tough battle until I can get close enough to consistently hit his turret.

Okay, I now have 9 talismans for Russian tier 2 tanks. 3 more and I have them all... I even got one for tanks when flying planes, WTF? Well, I got one for my MiG-3-15 BK too, but still... this is just weird.

Has anyone tried tug of war event? Any feedback?

Yeah, I played two matches. Pretty fun idea, though the tow cable doesn't work in the ps4 version at the moment, so you'd have to push the tank around...

And some idot in both teams keps hitting the prize tank...

Also there was a t-34 player who managed to keep his tank completely hidden even in arcade mode and keep killing our team. Seems like he found a bug in the Poland map and was abusing that, or something weird was going on.

Just for your information: it seems like Wargaming is coming to PS4 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1112612

The only trouble I see here is that, given their experience and current MS policy, there will be separate servers for console players and no way to use one account at all the platforms. Come on, Gaijin, we need those ships asap!

Seperate server for Xbox players maybe... Well, I'm going to try it, but Wargaming should really port World of Warships at this point.

Wace

I wonder how their matchmaker will handle that situation. Reaching critical player base will be difficult.

They also said that there's nothing to be said about warplanes and warships... hopefully yet.

Aaaaanyway. Nobody cares about German bombers, right? Good. Just know that there'll be two more versions of good old Dornier.

Now, for the tasty stuff. Stuff of legends. You can consider it to be first of Gaijin's playable ships.

Gaijin said:

Soviet Tier 4.

Wace

More updates from very responsive map designer

Whitie_W0lf said:
post-1037366-0-44512100-1442496978.jpg
post-1037366-0-09940500-1442496979.jpg

That's the "first" and "last" stage of destructible building. Treat that as an example of what's coming.

By default we're not going to allow traversing over destroyed objects (and that's the reason for "indestructible" remains). There will be specific objects though, that can either be destroyed completely or destroyed partially to make new paths for tanks. Reasons = gameplay.

Destructible bridges... maybe. We're considering it, but right now complications (tank under the bridge? tank on the bridge? etc.) aren't agreed upon (= not coded).

Oh, I've occassionally showed you screenshots using latest rendering engine... well, too late. Enjoy

Good stuff, I've been playing planes but will return to tanks as soon as the update comes.

I keep snapping my wings whenever I take a Spitfire to RP. Do the later models get better in that aspect? My best Spit is the first tier III one...

Wace

I keep snapping my wings whenever I take a Spitfire to RP. Do the later models get better in that aspect? My best Spit is the first tier III one...

No idea on British planes, sorry. Spitfire's Mk.V-s are not fully configured yet, as far as I can understand from forums, but you can always check the manual for guidelines:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Mik...5797625416619899282&oid=110157695027253399935

Their wings were best suited for lots of weapons and good low speed maneurability, as far as I know. I remember people complaining on early flatter for Mk.IX, so maybe the problem persists on higher tiers as well.

Wace

Unless you've noticed already, here are devblog rules: tanks on Wednesday, planes of Friday.

Gaijin said:
Curtiss SB2C4, late version of Helldiver with possibility to carry 8 HVARs.

I would also like to bring your attention to the water on the screenshot. New rendering engine rocks, in my humble opinion.

I'm really hoping they are going to bring in the British tank tree in the next release, but it seems like they might try to cash in by releasing some British tanks as American premium tanks first... Or some of those are American tanks with British modifications of course.

Wace

I'm really hoping they are going to bring in the British tank tree in the next release, but it seems like they might try to cash in by releasing some British tanks as American premium tanks first... Or some of those are American tanks with British modifications of course.

After long discussion with community manager here's what I got:

• Four aforementioned premiums will appear in 1.53 (next patch)
  • "Free" British tanks will appear later, most probably in 1.55
  • There will be some gameplay changes, so there will be a way to play with prem Brits before the whole nation becomes available

No ideas on details, sorry. I'll try to update as soon as the info becomes available.

Also, just in case you haven't noticed: there were promised BR changes (the ones about high-tier percentage distribution) and some economics modifications (repair and buy prices) as well.

The American tanks also came bit by bit and were not all open in the first release that had them, maybe they are going to do the same.

HariKari

I'd find dive bombers and ground attack more exciting if they weren't one way tickets. It's pretty much impossible to play something like Merchant Shipping without being slaughtered. They need more maps where the ground targets are in neutral territory.

Wace

Long-promised Stalingrad officially confirmed

Gaijin said:
The map is based on real photographs of the Stalingrad tractor plant district, taken during the bloody battles for the city.
map.jpg

The ground combat part of the map is fairly large – 16 square kilometers.
5.jpeg

Our artists have recreated the entire factory complex, the railroad and the surrounding area with many unique buildings and units being designed especially for this map.
9.jpeg

Gameplay on this map will be pretty intense. The enemy can appear from numerous directions as the main encounters between the two sides will take place amongst the factory buildings.
4.jpeg

http://coub.com/view/89qcu

Wace

Just in case you don't know: after PS FW 3.00 released, they've added events calendar. And there's CRAZY WAR THUNDER EVENT coming this weekend.

DO CHECK IT OUT!

I don't have English words to describe it - it's too cool to be true. PS4 only.

Ok, here are some words: TIER 1. 100 KILLS. TANKS OR PLANES.

First team to get 100 kills wins. Sounds interesting.

Edit:
I should soon have Yak 3P, which should be nicely overpowered. I need all the help I can get.

Wace

I should soon have Yak 3P, which should be nicely overpowered. I need all the help I can get.

Crazy WT facts about Yaks:

Yak-3P: Tier III, BR 5.3, May 1945 first flight, August 1945 production
Yak-15P: Tier V, BR 5.3, April 1946 first flight, Autumnt 1946 production

And if you care about your sanity, never try to use the latter.

Crazy WT facts about Yaks:

Yak-3P: Tier III, BR 5.3, May 1945 first flight, August 1945 production
Yak-15P: Tier V, BR 5.3, April 1946 first flight, Autumnt 1946 production

And if you care about your sanity, never try to use the latter.

Wow. Well, it's a long way to tier 5 still, and I think Migs will be more interesting planes there.

grmlin

I did some matches in my T-34 1941 Premium and it was quite some fun. Fast, lots of action, decent amount of kills. Too bad it will not help with the grind :/

I did some matches in my T-34 1941 Premium and it was quite some fun. Fast, lots of action, decent amount of kills. Too bad it will not help with the grind :/

I just played an arcade match with my premium T-34 E, got the normal 12 kills and 11 assist you get with this thing, and 1246 vehicle research points and 52k silver lions, and plenty of crew points. So it's not all useless playing these low tier vehicles, even if vehicle research gets penalty.

Wace

I just played an arcade match with my premium T-34 E, got the normal 12 kills and 11 assist you get with this thing, and 1246 vehicle research points and 52k silver lions, and plenty of crew points. So it's not all useless playing these low tier vehicles, even if vehicle research gets penalty.

How the FUCK do you play tanks like that???

I've just played my BEST session in months (or maybe ever). Su-85M, KV-85, T-34-85(D-5T).

We've won and I've taken the first place with 5 tanks, 1 bot, 2 planes and 2 caps. Mostly because the opposition sucked.

For example, I've left my damaged TD face to face with PzV, switching to plane, hoping to get in one before (s)he finishes me... I've managed to destroy that PzV with IL-2 rockets and return to repaired-by-that-time TD.

Those two planes: my gunner damaged them, so when they hit the ground they were counted as my frags.

How can you get over 10 kills without being shot by someone who accompanied your victim???

HariKari

How can you get over 10 kills without being shot by someone who accompanied your victim???

Don't put yourself in a position to face multiple people at once. Use planes from a safe spot. Getting 10+ kills a round is easy if you know the maps. Some of the upgunned T34s are ridiculously OP as well. Cut through the enemy like a hot knife through butter.

Wace

Don't put yourself in a position to face multiple people at once. Use planes from a safe spot. Getting 10+ kills a round is easy if you know the maps. Some of the upgunned T34s are ridiculously OP as well. Cut through the enemy like a hot knife through butter.

All that sounds right, no problem. Well, one problem: I've not yet found a perfectly safe location where you can be shot at from one direction only. I mean, as far as I understand, such positions are: a) rare; b) becoming obsolete thanks to map designers (and I agree to that).

Usually my tank battle is like this: I get to a good position => I see couple of enemies incoming => I start dueling with one of them => the second one takes me out.

Now, this cycle can go better for me (skillful oneshot then duel with second one) or worse (I'm oneshotted). Sometimes having teammates nearby can help. The problem is that "good position" is either good with targets or good with defense, never both, so it's also a common occurence when I successfully gun down couple of targets and then receive damage from the back side (yes, I've noticed the "backstabber", but turret turning speed isn't enough most of the times).

And I don't even start to talk about captures here, since "strategic points" are the most vulnerable spots on 95% of the maps. Man, planes are way easier for me.

This game really needs per-session voicechat. Even shreds of teamwork can do wonders.

Wace

BTW, Whitie_W0lf confirmed, that by 1.55 they're plannig to add spawn-guarding bots to couple of maps. If this strategy of baserape protection works, they will be added to all the maps.

And stay tuned for today's new airplane announcement. I really wish for Tu-4 or any Japanese one.

How the FUCK do you play tanks like that???

I've just played my BEST session in months (or maybe ever). Su-85M, KV-85, T-34-85(D-5T).

We've won and I've taken the first place with 5 tanks, 1 bot, 2 planes and 2 caps. Mostly because the opposition sucked.

For example, I've left my damaged TD face to face with PzV, switching to plane, hoping to get in one before (s)he finishes me... I've managed to destroy that PzV with IL-2 rockets and return to repaired-by-that-time TD.

Those two planes: my gunner damaged them, so when they hit the ground they were counted as my frags.

Well, the premium T-34 tanks are a bit overpowered, and I have several crews with high vitality and other important skills. If you watch this video I do nothing special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNqShfi-2g

Both my and the enemy team just happen to suck, so I get plenty of kills even if I play sloppily. Frankly I played a two matches yesterday, the first didn't go as well, I only got 5 kills and got killed by the same T-34 1942 twice because I took stupid risks.

edit: above BR 5 matches, T34 becomes an easy kill for most people, so you really have to hide yourself well. Same goes for Soviet TDs, they have flat front armour so you're dead if you show your face too long. KV-85 is quite close to IS-1, so it should survive a couple of hits.

Wace

Well, the premium T-34 tanks are a bit overpowered, and I have several crews with high vitality and other important skills. If you watch this video I do nothing special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNqShfi-2g

So simple, yet so mesmerizing.
crying.gif
Need to invest in tank crew skills. Luckily I've maxed out all the pilot skills for every crew, so I can always farm some with Yer-2... Yes, Yer-2, I need to get back to the sky.

BTW, I've just watched replay of that PantherD left alone with my engine-damaged Su-85M. Poor guy shot me three times from less than 30m (100ft) without any effect. He wasn't attacked by any other tank, he wasn't damaged. I think my rocket-killing him was the act of mercy.

I'm using premium tanks to increase my airplane crew skills, it's nice that the game allows this kind of loophole. I got my Yak 3P yesterday, and I'm doing pretty badly (partly) because I put it on low level crew slot. And of course stock planes seem to be pretty bad, even if not as bad as stock tanks.

Wace

Played couple of aerial battles in 100 mode.

Man, it's so EASY and FUN. Well, mainly because most of the players are casuals who jumped at the event as something new it seems.

The first battle was a draw (timer run out before any team scored 100 frags). I've ended up second with 26 frags (with endless respawns Ki-45 rules supreme), the first one on my team scored 28... with 7 frags for third place, 3 for fourth and zeroes thereafter. Competition had pretty much the same results.

Next battle was with my Soviet setup, there were no dropouts, so, while still being second, I've earned only 14 frags (with twice as more assists), and there were no zeroes on both teams. Hard win by 10 frags.

I expect that battles will be brutal as more and more casuals drop out and only experienced players remain. Dunno what will happen with tanks, but should be even more chaotic.

PS: No new planes for today, it seems, only engine show-off. http://warthunder.com/en/devblog/current/834 for those who's interested. New water is good, ships will be awesome.

It's impossible to get kills in the 100 Air event. Okay, Ki-45 ko seems to be a bit better, but my crews are so bad I can't hit anything and then I get swarmed by Laggs.

Edit: tried the 100 tank event with German tanks, and got 18 kills, won and was first of the team. Didn't do as well with American tanks, but they are clearly worst country at high BR tier 1.

Playing with stock and near stock planes gets depressing fast. I don't have the skills to fight against better opponents and getting kills is rare. I seem to do better with aced planes, not sure if it's because they have lower BR (so far) or if the module upgrades really help that much.

Man I haven't played this game in forever. It seems like the addition of tanks has made it much more popular. I guess people really wanted an alternative to World of Tanks lol. I remember the tank stuff was pretty rough the last time I played; I'm guessing it's been improved a lot. How is it today?

Wace

Playing with stock and near stock planes gets depressing fast. I don't have the skills to fight against better opponents and getting kills is rare. I seem to do better with aced planes, not sure if it's because they have lower BR (so far) or if the module upgrades really help that much.

I know it's a stupid question, but just to be sure: are you using chase camera enough? It's rather useless in tanks, but it's sine qua non for air arcade.

Also, if you plane sucks (and that happens), there are always several "easy" ways to get some RP/XP:
- climb and hunt bombers. They aren't always easy and there are other hunters, but still it's easier than dogfighting.
- hunt ground targets. They do provide little reward, but if your plane is useless vs competition - you'll still get something for cleaning out lots of AA guns or boats.
- stay on your "side". you won't get much kills, but it's easier to get assist with bunch of allies swarming on your sides than to get overcrowded with enemies.

PS: Sorry, people, I've been sick lately, and WT team doesn't give much updates lately. They've updated planes BR and matchmaking rules (Russian only for whatever reason), explained new visibility settings in upcoming patch (recommended read), and promised a bunch of new decals. 1.53 should arrive any minute now, everybody is on their toes.

grmlin

Do I understand this correct? In tanks, when I shoot in cover, I'm revealed for the enemy? Is this for Arcade?

Wace

Do I understand this correct? In tanks, when I shoot in cover, I'm revealed for the enemy? Is this for Arcade?

As far as I understood:
  • If you stand perfectly still - you're hard to notice
  • If you move/shoot - you're easily noticed
  • In arcade you're "marked" as long as you stay in the field of vision of at least one enemy
  • In RB your approximate region is marked on the map as long as you're in the field of vision of at least one enemy

I'm still not clear about field of vision and "disappearing" rules... Still, should be way better than now.

I know it's a stupid question, but just to be sure: are you using chase camera enough? It's rather useless in tanks, but it's sine qua non for air arcade.

Also, if you plane sucks (and that happens), there are always several "easy" ways to get some RP/XP:
- climb and hunt bombers. They aren't always easy and there are other hunters, but still it's easier than dogfighting.
- hunt ground targets. They do provide little reward, but if your plane is useless vs competition - you'll still get something for cleaning out lots of AA guns or boats.
- stay on your "side". you won't get much kills, but it's easier to get assist with bunch of allies swarming on your sides than to get overcrowded with enemies.

I've pretty much stopped playing air arcade, it's too chaotic. Realistic suits me better, even if the slow climbing can be boring at times.

I've started using chase camera a bit more, but it feels bit weird that it's practically flying for you. I guess you get used to it the more you use it.

grmlin

As far as I understood:
  • If you stand perfectly still - you're hard to notice
  • If you move/shoot - you're easily noticed
  • In arcade you're "marked" as long as you stay in the field of vision of at least one enemy
  • In RB your approximate region is marked on the map as long as you're in the field of vision of at least one enemy

I'm still not clear about field of vision and "disappearing" rules... Still, should be way better than now.

Ok, nice. You're right, everything is better than the system we have right now.

Man I haven't played this game in forever. It seems like the addition of tanks has made it much more popular. I guess people really wanted an alternative to World of Tanks lol. I remember the tank stuff was pretty rough the last time I played; I'm guessing it's been improved a lot. How is it today?

I think it's excellent now. I have only played for an year, but there have been improvements in every release. One map has been getting worse and worse, but pretty much everything else is better.

Top Bottom