• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

The Rhine map seems great, Stalingrad was a bit too confusing at first... too bad all new tanks are high tier, it will take some time to get them.

Wace

Yak-9B is surprizingly good. It's like a usual Yak-9, but with added bonus of 4x100kg bombs, allowing you to get easy RP off the light vehicles or, if you don't have time to hunt them, enemy base.

А7М1 will be uptiered soon, no doubt. Current BR is too low for this little monster.

Still researching Pe-8, can't wait to get FAB-5000. My current best shot with FAB-3000 is 15 targets (two of them were planes).

Rhine map's A point (the one with statue) is just bloody massacre for now. May be in time people will learn about good points...

Wace

Got Pe-8. Reseaching bombs. Players' reports state that FAB-5000 is able to get 8 player tanks (including two allies in the reported case) from near the capture point on Mozdoc. I really want it.

I won a free engine upgrade in post game roulette for my Yak 3. Looks like they might mave loosened the odds for getting one for mid tiers, before that it has been ages since I got a upgrade for tiers 3-5.

And it almost seems like T-34E has gotten an armor downgrade, I keep getting killed quite easily now. Maybe it's the new spotting system, keeping your tank hidden is lot more difficult in arcade. Although I managed to sneak into the side of a capture point with my SMK and side shot like 5 enemy tanks before anyone noticed that their friends were all dead.

So far I'm not really liking the new crew skill system. Upgrading a single skill takes huge amounts of crew points, and unless you are playing a premium vehicle getting them is slow.

Wace

Little server changes:

• Black Prince BR lowered to 5.7
  • Stug III Ausf G BR lowered by 0.3 in all modes
  • The amount of respawns for the Sherman Firefly "Scorpion" in SB has been changed to 2
also lots of repair costs reduced, mostly new vehicles and premiums. Some are rather major, for example:
  • PT-76 from 7790 SL to 2750 SL (AB)
  • SU-122P from 5970 SL to 2340 SL (AB)
  • B-17E (Japan) from 3320 SL to 1660 SL (AB)

Holy shit, repair cost for A26 in realistic went from 15180 to 4130. 15k was kind of steep for a plane that has to fight Japanese jets, which are much faster and have cannons that can kill you with a single burst. I still managed to make profit with it, but now it's less risky.

Wace

Got PT-76. Any advices on usage, except for "race for BK-354M cumulative shell"?

Current setup:

ISU-122, PT-76 + aced T-34-84, IS-1, ZSU-37

Oh, and BTW, after new map mode introduction Artillery Support is going to be nerfed: free one is coming after 2 minutes instead of 1 + no more than 2 calls from one player simultaneously.

Got PT-76. Any advices on usage, except for "race for BK-354M cumulative shell"?

Current setup:

ISU-122, PT-76 + aced T-34-84, IS-1, ZSU-37

Oh, and BTW, after new map mode introduction Artillery Support is going to be nerfed: free one is coming after 2 minutes instead of 1 + no more than 2 calls from one player simultaneously.

I don'thave PT-76 yet. I got M60 (don't have enough SL to buy and train a crew yet) and Coelian (may be even better than Kugelblitz) and bunch of planes. I'm slowly learning to play German planes...

Wace

Ok, here's how to play PT-76 before crazy shells:
  1. Start battle with ISU
  2. Score 2+ frags
  3. Rush enemies, getting more frags and/or eventually killed
  4. Choose PT-76
  5. Quickly find safe spot where nobody can get you, especially planes and artillery
  6. Use frags from ISU to cast "Summon Bomber" and score some frags
  7. If there are any bots left - hunt them, carefully
  8. ...whatever. Just die already.
Repeat it for 10-20 times to research game-changer.

Wace

More news from BVV_d's thread:

- Yes, we're planning to set historically accurate target scopes to all the vehicles, zoom levels first then grids;
- There will be researchable module for "extra shielding" (tracks, sand bags, etc.) for applicable vehicles in future, no ETA yet;
- No explosive reactive armor planned;
- Armor fatigue is coming soon, it will, most probably, lead to BR changes;
- Some japanese tanks may be released soon as "captured" premiums for other nations;
- Coaxial MGs are not in the plans: little usefulness vs. server load;
- Flakpanzer Gepard is planned for Germans as Tier 5 SPAA, though it's not yet clear about it's targeting systems;
- Two desert maps are in the works;
- Panzerwerfer will get proper ammo load as soon as the mechanism for reloading it in RB/SB will be implemented;
- Sheridan is planned, no details on version;
- No IS-7 in plans;
- No Chinese tanks planned, French & Italian ones are planned, no idea on if it's going to be separate thread or additions to existing ones;
- Large caliber (like 88mm) truck-based SPAA are in the plans;
- T-62 is coming, not priority due to abundance of Tier 5 vehicles for Soviets;
- Artillery support is coming vertically down, so you can hide under the roof, and artillery, on pure luck, can destroy flying airplane.

My current record for FAB-5000 is 11 bots in one drop. Would be more if there were more in that group.

Hmm... I accidentally the Ultra Advanced Pack from the PS shop 40% sale. Is this bad?

Ultra right now costs a bit less than 10k of GE, while giving you 10k of GE + 60 days of premium (no less than 3k of GE) + five premium planes + 2 campaigns.

That's a good deal, however you look at it.

We still had T-55Ms in use as training vehicles when I was doing my military service, so maybe getting T-55 and T-62 in game will be interesting. Never got inside one, but travelled on top of one and got run over by one (while in trench).

Ultra right now costs a bit less than 10k of GE, while giving you 10k of GE + 60 days of premium (no less than 3k of GE) + five premium planes + 2 campaigns.

That's a good deal, however you look at it.

Yeah, I now have 12k GE waiting to be spent. If the roulette gives me good deals on premium vehicles I'll be happy to buy stuff.

... And no, I'm not buying a premium Catalina, but thank you anyway for that 30% off deal.

I played a simulator tank battle, first time with the newest version, I really liked the improvements they did there. They need to add those same things to arcade and realistic..

Wace

Got my first IS-2. Hope it won't be the last... IS-1 performance was amazing, I didn't expect it to be both sturdy and speedy.

Now, in Russian community we have one very dedicated player. And by very dedicated here I mean that he spent days, literally, trying to improve the ways to play the game.

I've recently changed post effects settings to the ones he suggested, and while I don't see huge difference (some people do), it increased my winrate, so... who knows. The idea behind the change is to increase overall visibility, reduce fog and increase sharpness.

Anyways, here it is for those who are interested. Note that while it's purpose is to use it on PS4, the settings are fine on PC as well.

*SUGATA_RUS said:
Note that Gamma setting (main setting menu) should be set to middle (9 bars)
post-1221629-0-73798700-1448114320.jpg

Same guy did huge work with setting up DS4 controls to be usable in RB and SB (AB doesn't need it). According to happy users his scheme:
- works simultaneously for both tanks and planes;
- while differs from default is rather intuitive and easy to learn;
- allows DS4 player to control EVERY function there is with ease.

Some people used DS4 for PC with this, so it may be really good. Since I'm playing AB only for now - no personal comments. Let me know if somebody is interested - I'll post the instructions.

Okay, I have to try those. I got the first jet that seems to suit me, the F-84 Thunderjet. Hit and run tactics work better with pad than turnfighting. It's difficult to switch between German and American planes though, switching between .50 cals or 20 mm cannons. Some days I just can't hit anything.

Wace

They've translated the latest QA before me this time.

Gaijin said:
1. What tanks are you working on right now?
BVV_d​: "Currently we are tuning British tanks planned to be added in the next major update. For example vehicles such as the Centurion tanks: e.g. Mk.3 with 20-pounder cannon and Mk.10 with L7."

2. Which reserve tanks will Britain get?
BVV_d​: "One of the lines will start with Tetrarch Mk.I, and the other one with A.13 Mk.I - a version without additional armour - these are rather dynamic tanks compared to other reserves. "

3. Which FireFly versions do you plan to add except premium “Scorpion”?
BVV_d​: "In the main tree we will have Sherman VC Firefly - it has a bit of a different hull and is based on a different Sherman modification, several changes in the turret but overall it will have characteristics similar to the premium variant. "

4. What Churchill modifications will we have in the game?
BVV_d​: "All “Churchills’ can be nominally divided into a few groups depending on the armament they had. At the start, we will add a Churchill Mk.III with the 6 pounder gun and the Churchill Mk.VII with a 75mm cannon"

5.How will British solid shots work?
BVV_d​: "Their performance depends on the calibre, remaining penetrating power and ammo type - these factors affect the amount of secondary shards, angle of dispersion, how powerful and deadly they are etc."

6. How do you gather information about the British tanks?
BVV_d:​ "While working on the British tanks we often communicate with Bovington tank museum which has armoured vehicles in working order and very rare vehicles. We purchased a lot of literature and high-quality photographs that cannot be found in open sources and these materials are the ones we use while working on the tanks."

7. Please tell us, which tank will be the top British ground vehicle?
BVV_d: "Currently we have the Chieftain in development - a tank with the most powerful gun (APCR round) but it’s too early to say when it will be added to the game. "

8. Can you tell us about the future of the rocket tanks in War Thunder?
BVV_d: "We plan to add rocket tanks for the USSR and Britain. We will have a devblog about a Soviet rocket tank that will most likely appear in 1.55"

9. Will we see reactive armour?
BVV_d: "Reactive armour first appeared in the 70’s to 80’s which is too far from the period the game is based around. Of course our engine allows us to do this but we don’t have anything like that planned, at least not in the nearest future."

10. What about armoured vehicles of the other nations that are not yet represented in the game?
BVV_d: "As separate trees we perhaps will add France and Japan. France had enough interesting vehicles but of course there are some gaps - in game terms these are ranks 3 and 4 while rank 1,2 and 5 have a big choice of interesting machinery. As for the Japanese tree, there are lots of prototypes and vehicles produced in small numbers. The Italians also seem possible as a part of another nation. "

11. Will you rework the lower front plate of the Т-10М?
BVV_d​: "In the nearest minor update, the T-10M will be completely reworked - both the 3d model and the Damage Model. Also we are currently reworking the IS-3 and several other vehicles. "

12. What about armoured cars? Will we see them in the game?
BVV_d​: "The first armoured car will be added to the British tree, it will be a SPAA - armoured and on a wheeled chassis."

Hmm... British non-premiums will come this month, they said, but there won't necessarily be a major update.

Edit:
Looking at ps4 thropy statistics, surprisingly few people play as British or Japanese. And maybe more people play tanks than planes, or at least get more kills in tanks.

Auctopus

Could any PS4 players let me know whether the patching on this game is fixed?

I love the game and miss playing it but couldn't stand the constant 7gb downloads every time a new patch hit.

Wace

Could any PS4 players let me know whether the patching on this game is fixed?

I love the game and miss playing it but couldn't stand the constant 7gb downloads every time a new patch hit.

It will never be fixed...

Basically, if rumors are true, WT runs on some kind of virtual machine, like emulators run images of original software. And currently Gaijin doesn't "patch" the image file on console, it compiles the new one and sends it to Sony. And that's why WT's patches are going to be huge - you're downloading the whole game.

Note that this wasn't confirmed, but rumored. Still, seems to be right.

Auctopus

It will never be fixed...

Basically, if rumors are true, WT runs on some kind of virtual machine, like emulators run images of original software. And currently Gaijin doesn't "patch" the image file on console, it compiles the new one and sends it to Sony. And that's why WT's patches are going to be huge - you're downloading the whole game.

Note that this wasn't confirmed, but rumored. Still, seems to be right.

That is really disappointing. I don't really have the best internet for downloading 7gb every month or so. So, is it taking up another 7gb each time or just re-installing the game?

Wace

That is really disappointing. I don't really have the best internet for downloading 7gb every month or so. So, is it taking up another 7gb each time or just re-installing the game?

I believe it depends on language version. For Russian it's usually around 12Gb. While "big" patches arrive every two-three months, the lesser fixes happen more often, and each of them is no less than 10Gb for me.

Maybe it is really coming soon, updates are flowing in...

aces-dev%202015-10-02%2013-51-22-2131_920pxl.jpg

Simpe, stupid fun

That look great, like an armored car with a turret.

Got my Yak 9U yesterday (or whatever the first tier IV Yak is called). Got two kills in the first match, finally a plane that doesn't suck as stock. I should also soon have my first Sabre, but I don't have enough silver coins to buy it or train the crew. I haven't even bought the M60 yet, even though I finiahed researching it weeks ago. I wish I had more time so I could go and grind for silver eagles with my tier 2 T-34 lineup...

Is it just me, or does the PS4 version of World of Tanks suck? Okay, I only played a couple of matches with tier 1-3 tanks, but controls are bad, the game looks kind of meh (decent backgrounds and weather effects, but shitty looking tanks), and the gameplay strange (hit points, weird spotting system, tanks don't seem to react to damage). In War Thunder there are some similar problems in spotting, but everything is at least semi-realistic and the game gives you visual cue on what kind of damage you are taking or giving to the enemy.

I then went back to War Thunder to play some of my tier 5 tanks, and managed to get 6 kills in single match with 10.5 cm Tiger II. So the matchmaker doesn't always screw you over in top tiers...

Wace

Is it just me, or does the PS4 version of World of Tanks suck? Okay, I only played a couple of matches with tier 1-3 tanks, but controls are bad, the game looks kind of meh (decent backgrounds and weather effects, but shitty looking tanks), and the gameplay strange (hit points, weird spotting system, tanks don't seem to react to damage). In War Thunder there are some similar problems in spotting, but everything is at least semi-realistic and the game gives you visual cue on what kind of damage you are taking or giving to the enemy.

Haven't been there myself (yet), but the WT/PS4 community reaction was rather bad:
- graphics are toony and simplistic;
- hit point system takes away most of the sniping/angling/maneuvering fun;
- "strange" (and I quote here) progression system.

The only thing people appreciate is playing in "artillery game mode", which is something WT lacks. Is it something like playing immovable AT gun? Or rain of destruction from howitzers?

Haven't been there myself (yet), but the WT/PS4 community reaction was rather bad:
- graphics are toony and simplistic;
- hit point system takes away most of the sniping/angling/maneuvering fun;
- "strange" (and I quote here) progression system.

The only thing people appreciate is playing in "artillery game mode", which is something WT lacks. Is it something like playing immovable AT gun? Or rain of destruction from howitzers?

Yeah, the graphical style is rather cartoony... I kind of like how the grass moves in wind, it's bit like a Zelda game, but of course not everyone thinks that is good thing for a tank game. And the tank themselves don't look good. I think the arty units are moveable, but I think you may need to play for some time until you get them...

Bah, my PS4 had stopped loading the last 13.7 gig update before it was finished. And I guess I'll have to do quite lot of reloading again when I swap in a new 2 TB HD.

But those British tanks look great, in some ways they are like a mix of German and US designs.

Wace

Now it's time to say... WE WILL BURY YOU!

aces-dev%202015-10-02%2013-51-22-2131_920pxl.jpg

No mercy for the capitalists!

EDIT:

I love forum reactions from different factions

Soviets: it'll be nerfed and uncontrollable, not fair, we will suffer!
Americans: what will we get to counteract??? not fair, we will suffer!
Germans: please, give it to us as well, it was supplied to DDR, not fair, we will suffer!
British: our planes are better anyway
Japanese: ...<silence>...

Wace

...and dev server went live, and preliminary changelog is available.

Highlights, not mentioned in the previous posts:

• T-44-122
  • Kpfw. Churchill
  • F3F-2
  • PT-76 STARTED SWIMMING

Edit: https://youtu.be/okSLWTkko6g - there are some... bugs, hopefully to be fixed soon
lol.png

DMTripper

Really loved this game on PS4. I had well over 1000 RB kills. Now I'm on PC and I just can't be bothered to learn to play with a mouse.

Maybe one day tho! It's cool to see the new tanks but I never enjoyed that part. It was all about the planes :)

Wace

First of all, I don't feel like I suck at tanks anymore. Which is good.

Second: Tunis. WOW. Destructible buildings with through-the-wall shots!

Third and last: the best position ever - PT-76 swimming in the river on Berlin map. Just hailing down artillery and shooting airplanes.

Just researched ISU-152, and that's enough of fun for today. Tomorrow I'll start grinding for a new MiG.

I got the Tunisia map only once, but it seems interesting. I only played the tier 1 british tanks, and it was pretty damn fun. I got 6 tank and 4 air kills in one match, but there was more lag than usual today, so I also fell from a couple of bridges and got shot far too often in weird places. Of course it's difficult to play carefully with these high speed light tanks...

Any idea what kind of stuff you have to do in order to get into the closed beta for british upper tier ranks? Although I guess tier 2 will open up pretty soon for us average folks too..

Top Bottom