• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Pushes Back Aquaman 2 Months To Christmas 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link. Original source.

You're going to have to hold your breath for a whole two extra months before Jason Momoa's Aquaman makes his solo debut.

James Wan's Aquaman was previously scheduled to hit theaters on October 5, 2018, but a new announcement from Warner Bros, via The Wrap, reveals that date's been pushed to the holidays. Aquaman will now open on December 21, 2018. That date was previously held by Fox for James Cameron's Avatar 2, but unsurprisingly the million Avatar sequels were recently delayed yet again, leaving next year's cozy Christmas spot wide open.

Aquaman will find Momoa starring opposite Amber Heard, who will play the titular superhero's love interest Mera. The rest of the reported cast includes Nicole Kidman as his mother, Queen Atlanna, Temuera Morrison from the Star Wars universe as his father, The Get Down star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as villain Black Manta, Patrick Wilson as Aquaman's villainous half-brother Orm, and Willem Dafoe as scientist Dr. Vulko. But before Aquaman's solo movie debut, you can see Momoa suit up in Zack Snyder's Justice League on November 17.

The other release dates in the studio's announcement include Michael Shannon and Chris Hemsworth's post-9/11 war drama Horse Soldiers, set for January 19, 2018, and Owen Wilson and Ed Helms‘ comedy Bastards, which will now open December 22.

Guess they saw the Avatar spot being empty and jumped on it.

Location scouting right now.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How many Frozen Fish Sticks jokes will this movie have
Find out Christmas 2018

Brrrrr.....

SL128

I initially read this as Aquaman 2 being delayed, and actually believed DC would try to release two Aquamans before 2019.

Okay, since people seem to be confused, this is what is on the docket a week before and after Aquaman.

The week before is "Mortal Engines", another YA adaptation.

The week of is the release of the Miles Morales animated Spidey film.

The week after is "Mary Poppins Returns" and an untitled WB event film that is almost certainly getting pushed.

And if Aquaman 1 bombs? :)

No I think it means aquaman 1 is pushed back 2
Edit oh your joking literally over my head

How many Frozen Fish Sticks jokes will this movie have
Find out Christmas 2018

Brrrrr.....

kvGo7RK.jpg

LionPride

Banned
Okay, since people seem to be confused, this is what is on the docket a week before and after Aquaman.

The week before is "Mortal Engines", another YA adaptation.

The week of is the release of the Miles Morales animated Spidey film.

The week after is "Mary Poppins Returns" and an untitled WB event film that is almost certainly getting pushed.

So if this movie even comes out, they have a bit of competition. If Aquaman is seen as competition for MPR, they'll push it back. If not...Lin Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt gon eat.

blakep267

This is released the same weekend as Sony's Spider-Man animated movie.

Good luck with that WB.
I think you have a little too much faith in an animated Spider-Man movie from Sony

Lego batman did ok but wasn't a runaway success and that's batman and legos. Animated Spider-Man isn't going to somehow capture the adult audience share from aquaman

I really don't see what WB has to fear from this.

I think you have a little too much faith in an animated Spider-Man movie from Sony

Really? It's not going to gross a billion for sure, but Spidey is still huge among kids and teens, more huge than Aquaman, that's for damn sure.

Because this animated movie is about Miles, there might be less recognition but if you look at the Venn Diagram of these two films' audience, there's a significant enough overlap, in my view.

Penguin

I mean this could go either way

They are probably confident in the film and putting it in a window that they know with the previous LoTR/Hobbit films.

At the same time, if Disney decides to keep Star Wars = Dec and forced to move it up again...

blakep267

Really? It's not going to gross a billion for sure, but Spidey is still huge among kids and teens, more huge than Aquaman, that's for damn sure.

Because this animated movie is about Miles, there might be less recognition but if you look at the Venn Diagram of these two films' audience, there's a significant enough overlap, in my view.
Like was mentioned above, if Lego Batman was able to do okay but nothing mind blowing, why would miles morales Spider-Man movie have any better a chance. Even if aquaman does Dr a strange numbers that's gonna be more than animated Spider-Man

Also it's from Sony. This isn't like Disney is making a Spider-Man movie.

I mean this could go either way

They are probably confident in the film and putting it in a window that they know with the previous LoTR/Hobbit films.

At the same time, if Disney decides to keep Star Wars = Dec and forced to move it up again...

If they push Han Solo back 9 months I'll laugh.

kswiston

Episode 8 will once again make a ton of money this December. Disney will move Han Solo to December and force Aquaman out of that slot.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm a lot more likely to check out a Lord & Miller Miles Morales movie opening weekend than another Snyderverse movie, this time starring Aquaman.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They better pray that Aquaman is a breakout character in Justice League. Otherwise nobody is gonna pay to see a solo film Christmas week.

Q1 2019 would probably be a much better place for this. I know they can't push it that far back though.

Madness

Lego batman did ok but wasn't a runaway success and that's batman and legos. Animated Spider-Man isn't going to somehow capture the adult audience share from aquaman

No kidding. Spider-Man was run into the ground by Sony with ASM and the reboot. No one could have ever imagined Iron Man and Captain America and even Thor would become more well known than Spider-Man for Marvel. Just crazy.

Homecoming will hopefully restore Spidey in the hearts of fans, plus that Insomniac tie in game for PS4 coming as well.

They better pray that Aquaman is a breakout character in Justice League. Otherwise nobody is gonna pay to see a solo film Christmas week.

Q1 2019 would probably be a much better place for this. I know they can't push it that far back though.

Q1 2019 is not better. February 2019 consists of the Lego Movie sequel and Untitled Fox/Marvel movie which will probably be Deadpool 2. March consists of How to Train Your Dragon 3, Captain Marvel, Godzilla 2, and untitled Disney live action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom