• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Pushes Back Aquaman 2 Months To Christmas 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifeline

Yeah, no way WB wants to split the super hero fan money by releasing the same week as animated Spider-Man.

I bet they know Spider-Man is going to be moved.

Blader

Yeah, no way WB wants to split the super hero fan money by releasing the same week as animated Spider-Man.

I bet they know Spider-Man is going to be moved.
I feel like this also means they're confident that Han Solo is staying in that May date next year. Which seems like a weird choice for Disney? If you've got two (soon to be three) Star Wars movies making huge bank at Christmas, why would you not put your next Star Wars in that same slot? And especially, why would you opt to put it in theaters right when your massive Avengers movie is still running?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I read it as "Aquaman 2" being pushed back and I was confused that Aquaman 1 had come out.

Vanish

Wait wait... After Justice League, the DCEU is not have another movie for over a year? and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed again because of the animated Spider-Man movie or Disney moving Han Solo to December

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
And they'll move it right back when Disney decides they want to keep Star Wars in December lol

Nah, they've been trying to get Star Wars back to its traditional May release date for a while now. Ep8 was supposed to make the move but they just didn't get it started early enough.

Yeah, odds are Solo is moving to December sooner or later. Too many reasons in favor of it to not to, especially with Avatar 2 gone. They're not even releasing Ep. VIII on ANH's anniversary, so I don't know why they would bother holding onto May now. Might as well give Infinity War some more leg room and reap the December benefits that have been good to them so far. (Admittedly though, I don't know about Mary Poppins 2.)

If that happens I don't imagine it playing out remarkably well for Aquaman.

Slayven

Yeah, odds are Solo is moving to December sooner or later. Too many reasons in favor of it to not to, especially with Avatar 2 gone. They're not even releasing Ep. VIII on ANH's anniversary, so I don't know why they would bother holding onto May now. Might as well give Infinity War some more leg room and reap the December benefits that have been good to them so far. (Admittedly though, I don't know about Mary Poppins 2.)

If that happens I don't imagine it playing out remarkably well for Aquaman.

Mary Poppins 2? A beloved Disney classic? Shiiiiiiiiittt I be shocked if bombs

Phamit

Episode 8 will once again make a ton of money this December. Disney will move Han Solo to December and force Aquaman out of that slot.

Isn't Avatar 2 December 2018 or was delayed again, I can't keep track all of the delays of this one

Fun fact: every 2 times Cameron has delayed Avatar 2 he has added an extra sequel. We've now had 1 delay since the delay that added Avatar 5. Avatar 6 to be announced next year?

Mary Poppins 2? A beloved Disney classic? Shiiiiiiiiittt I be shocked if bombs

With Lin Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt...

Spoiler: It's gonna make money
Oh I expect it to do well. I meant that more in the sense that I don't know if Disney would specifically avoid releasing Solo and Poppins in the same month, and if they would, would they rather keep Solo in May or move Poppins. Outside of being nostalgia-laden family movies they're wildly different in every other way, so perhaps it would be fine.

a916

And they'll move it right back when Disney decides they want to keep Star Wars in December lol

Actually, they've been trying to keep Star Wars in May... but they keep pushing it to December.

And they'll re-adjust if Disney decides to move.

EDIT: Is this the up to date information... but Avengers is slotted for May 4, 2018, Han Solo is slated for release weeks after that. Why not space them out a bit further...

kswiston

Nah, they've been trying to get Star Wars back to its traditional May release date for a while now. Ep8 was supposed to make the move but they just didn't get it started early enough.

There's no point in moving Star Wars back to May. When Ep 8 becomes the second or third biggest film of all time domestic, they will decide to just stick to the new Xmas tradition.

its fantastic that DC are that confident in Aquaman, but its disappointing that its the only DCEU movie in that whole year.

COUGH

AHEM
originalherb-bag

Busty

Banned
Obviously shows that Warners are confident in the film and Wan that they would snap up a release date like this.

Now it all hangs on Justice League and whether Momoa's Aquaman can actually become the break out character with audiences some are predicting.

There's no point in moving Star Wars back to May. When Ep 8 becomes the second or third biggest film of all time domestic, they will decide to just stick to the new Xmas tradition.

True, but where in December do Disney release Star Wars? They aren't going to shift that Mary Poppins reboot/sequel/whatever on the 26th and would they really canabilise their own release by putting out Star Wars two weeks earlier?

If Disney were to stick Han Solo in early December it's possible that Aquaman could survive as a pseudo, genre counter programming release much like Sherlock Holmes did against Avatar. Space versus Atlantis? I could see.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you guys think animated spiderman is a movie that need to be avoided?
Because it's not Peter Parker and the LEGO Batman movie didn't exactly set the world on fire box office wise. It will also automatically be considered a "kids" movie because it's animated and won't be taken as seriously as the live action Spider-Man movies.

mreddie

Aquaman is gonna get pushed to 2019 if Disney moves Solo to December unless otherwise.

No one is asking for a Aquaman movie, fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom