• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was RDR2 the biggest disappointment of 2019?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The first RDR was one of the best games of the previous generation. Perfectly paced with a fun gameplay loop, it was the definitive Western game.

So of course everyone was dying for a sequel. I think a lot wanted it even more than a new GTA.

Sure the game is gorgeous and the PC version scales so big it’ll be an engine showcase for years... but the game is just boring as shit.

The pacing of the first game was lost and replaced with slow and boring walking and talking between quest objectives. It’s just so boring to go from point A to B, why even bother? It seems like they wanted to slow down the game so you’re forced to look at the pretty environments they made instead of rushing through them.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Yes and not because if the pacing but it was due to two big things:

1. the controls are trash and anyone who defends them are in denial. Game should have been an 80 meta because of that alone

2. Illusion of an open world mission structure. The open world is great but when on a mission there is an illusion of an open world and you can do what you want, but if you dont follow their script on a mission you fail it.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Yes and not because if the pacing but it was due to two big things:

1. the controls are trash and anyone who defends them are in denial. Game should have been an 80 meta because of that alone

2. Illusion of an open world mission structure. The open world is great but when on a mission there is an illusion of an open world and you can do what you want, but if you dont follow their script on a mission you fail it.

Agree on the controls they feel like you’re walking through sludge all the time.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I haven’t played it yet, but from a distance, all the criticism seems to be spot on.

That said, I do really appreciate that we got a genuine cowboy period piece in videogaming. The medium, and the current tech, offer a chance to kind of step into one of the most romanticized periods in American history, and experience it yourself.

I’m sure the game is similarly romanticized, but I think there’s something really special about that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This entire year had plenty of mediocre games though. RDR2 was overhyped though yes.

njean777

I feel like I need to go back to this game and give it another try. I lost interest due to outside factors (life). The only reason I want to go back and give it another chance here soon is due to the first game really being one of my favorite games from last gen. Going to have to wait until after Remind DLC and FF7 Remake.

Bkdk

You mean 2018? It’s a disappointment for sure, not nearly as big as death stranding and life is trance 2 though. Some mission fail state for chase mission is extremely outdated and annoying to deal with, also looting animation is quite bothersome and can drags the game for no reason. If there are mods from of there can improve these fail states and add auto loot option, I’ll play it on pc and finish it, unfortunately this game seem to be less moddable than Gta series on PC.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I feel like I need to go back to this game and give it another try. I lost interest due to outside factors (life). The only reason I want to go back and give it another chance here soon is due to the first game really being one of my favorite games from last gen. Going to have to wait until after Remind DLC and FF7 Remake.

The first game is still one of my favorite games.

The most fun I had in RDR2 was where I dragged a guy through a camp fire and they caught on fire. The main story is a slog to get through.

McRazzle

No, I would say Astral Chain's sales, was the biggest disappointment of 2019.
Great reviews from players and critics, and possibly Platinum's best game ever.

Not even a million sales at last count, and didn't even make the Top Ten Eshop rankings in September despite releasing on August 30, and only made it to #4 in August.

njean777

The first game is still one of my favorite games.

The most fun I had in RDR2 was where I dragged a guy through a camp fire and they caught on fire. The main story is a slog to get through.

I got lost through all the sub-systems in this game, maybe I didn't pay attention or something but the hunting confused me in this game compared to the first, and the whole giving money to the camp thing was weird to me and I didn't fully get if you need to do it or not. That is when I checked out as I was lost and life was getting in the way at the same time. So Ill give it another try and see if I can get it this time, I always like to give things one more chance.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Not at all. It surpassed everything I thought the game was going to be. I *hated* the first game. It was GTA IV, but with horses in a bland environment. RDR2 improved on *everything* from the original. Better acting, better pacing, better story, better characters, better environments, better variety, better moment to moment gameplay.

TacosNSalsa

Nah , not to me . It pretty much turned out the way I thought it would ....and I still bought it and absolutely lothed it like I expected :messenger_weary: :messenger_weary:. I dont know why I keep buying them. I really dont like Rockstar games .

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
To me the was an utter failure and the first big blemish on R* resume.

Not only the animations destroyed the gameplay, but the absurdly strict failure conditions in missions were very frustrating.

But that's just my opinion.

Mokus

The story is really good! But the controls are one of the worst this generation. My plan was, after finishing the story, that I would play the game maybe a couple of hundred hours more like the first RDR or GTA V. But instead I had to delete it without even trying the multiplayer. I really like wondering in games and discovering hidden missions, enjoying the world design/simulation without being overfilled with enemies like in Horizon: Zero Dawn.

I put over 150 hours into Death Stranding and overall I liked the game, especially the story (one of the best this generation).

Yeah I’m gonna have to disagree with you op.....the first part of the game I agree is boring but it opens up
Death stranding would be my most disappointing game now I have consumed it

I have no wish to return playing it and if you rub off the layer of Kojima bullshit it is one of the worst walking simulators on the ps4....the pc will hopefully make it better with mod support but it’s just a boring game.

iorek21

60 fps on PC made RDR2 a totally different game, much much better.

It’s quite good on consoles, but the input lag just slowed things down

Pidull

I loved RDR2 beginning to end and can't wait for when I have time to revisit it. Phenomenal in terms of role-playing a cowboy.

I also accept that it was tedious and that another game like it will not exist for a long time.

pr0cs

I will agree that for people who wanted more of an action game RDR2 might be a disappointment.
For me though it's one of the most memorable games I've ever played, a great cowboy simulation with one of the most moving stories ever made in gaming.
Arthur coming to grips with his mortality will stick with me for a very long time

haxan7

Banned
This is how I look at it.

With RDR2 they developed and/or mastered the technology used to make GTA 6. I wouldn’t be surprised if the senior management of Rockstar viewed RDR2 like me, as a heavily developed tech demo. They may even have needed the cash from an RDR2 to get to a GTA 6, even with the unparalleled financial success of GTA 5 online.

That’s how enormous the scope of their next game likely is.

Freeman76

The online portion I 100% would agree its a disappointment, not through gameplay or technical stuff, but rockstars shit support and restriction of fun in order to push gold bar sales. As a company they suck, as open world game developers they are almost peerless.

To say the SP portion is a disappointment is just ridiculous and not even worth dignifying with a conversation.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Since it came out in 2018 I’d have to say no it is ineligible for the biggest dissapointment of 19. Unless we are only talking about the PC release.

Its disappointing to see someone claim one of the biggest games from last year as one of the biggest disappointments this year.

Even worse is that I’m post #42 and the first one to point this out.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Personally I think it's an improvement over the first game in many ways. And I loved the first game. It's story is much better as is the main protagonist Arthur Morgan who is a more compelling character than John Marston.

I do agree that the controls need to be improved. Rockstar can only stick with their patented control scheme for so long before people get sick of it. Their open world mission structure too needs an upgrade. As for online, I don't play it so I don't know of the complaints.

Freeman76

Since it came out in 2018 I’d have to say no it is ineligible for the biggest dissapointment of 19. Unless we are only talking about the PC release.

Its disappointing to see someone claim one of the biggest games from last year as one of the biggest disappointments this year.

Even worse is that I’m post #42 and the first one to point this out.

I think thats taken 42 posts because most sensible people dont even give this type of nonsense thread the time of day.

holygeesus

Banned
One of the best games I've ever played, in 40 years of gaming. The only criticism I would have is the hunting achievements are needlessly drawn out, by having animals that never seem to spawn where they should, even when following the official guide.

Psykodad

Banned
RDR 1 was boring singleplayer with mediocre multiplayer.

RDR2 was great singleplayer wirh trash multiplayer.

Still RDR2 is one of the best games this gen, imo.
Although the epilogue sucks.

Psajdak

Banned
GTAV is one amazing game, IMO, but very often I had feeling like I don't really control characters.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yeah it was disappointing.

loved RDR1 one but have tried multiple times to get into RDR2 but i just can't do it.

Top Bottom