• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was there ever a "[GAME] Killer" that actually managed to live up to it?

Banned
Halo Killer, that was a term thrown around during the 6th and 7th gen era a lot.

but more followed soon.
the GTA Killer, the CoD Killer, the Fortnite Killer, the WoW Killer etc.

but has there ever been a game, that was meant/hyped up to be a [insert Game] "Killer" and actually succeeded?

Usually what happens is that games like that, from what I remember, at best manage to get an ok sized following, and many just completely shit the bed and it was laughable that they were considered a "killer" of anything other than themselves...

*cough*
4259218-haze-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
As mentioned by kuncol02 call of duty was even coined Internally as the medal of honor killer.

And it did

which makes sense given that the same devs just basically made a better sequel under a different brand.

it took CoD a while tho to actually win the fight. Medal of Honor survived for many years with good success.

Last edited:

Banned
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was the killer of everything military in the video game space.

while that's true, I don't think it was ever called a killer, it was just a new entry in a long running series, that with a combination of extremely good controls at 60fps on console and a highly addictive progression system, managed to grow larger than anyone would have ever guessed.

what I'm looking for is games that have been hyped up pre-release to be the killer of a big IP.

Killzone and Haze for example were specifically called Halo killer by many ahead of release.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Probably Forza Motorsport (as a Gran Turismo killer) paving their own way and expanding the franchise furthermore with Forza Horizon, which has proven to be a major success.
I would say your example doesnt work. GT is still a colossus compared to Forza Motorsport, and Horizon is not in the same genre.
So yeah, GT still has to be killed.

(I'm talking about brand recognition and sales numbers*)

*and imo GT is still a superior game, but thats just my personal opinion. And now that it has VR, its not even a relevant discussion anymore to me.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe mortal Kombat? I know street fighter is kinda seen as the face of fighting games, but unless I’m mistaken mortal Kombat usually sells better. I think the only SF title to top it was SF2 and that’s seen many different versions resold multiple times on every generation of console.

Monad

I would say your example doesnt work. GT is still a colossus compared to Forza Motorsport, and Horizon is not in the same genre.
So yeah, GT still has to be killed.

(I'm talking about brand recognition and sales numbers*)

*and imo GT is still a superior game, but thats just my personal opinion. And now that it has VR, its not even a relevant discussion anymore to me.

I'm not saying it destroyed the GT franchise, I just think Forza live up perfectly to the thread premise and succeded as a "killer", growing over the years and expanded to a new subgenre triumphantly.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What is the expectation of a successful 'Game'-Killer? Become successful while the original IP falls into obscurity? Or just match/exceed success of the original?

One could argue Genshin Impact succeeds in the latter as a 'BOTW killer', at least commercially - it surpassed it - but obviously it won't make the original IP fail.
For the former - the only example I can think of is Fifa killing W11. And that was quite literal on both counts.

EQ killed UO. WoW killed EQ2.
Came here to say EQ killed UO as well
Came here to post EQ.. remember a lot of people siphoning away from UO. I never left, but what did kill it for me was Trammel/UOR.
Agree, Trammel did hurt the game quite a lot. What was fun about UO was the thrill of being attacked by anyone, anywhere. I remember as a newbie mining near Minoc, just praying no one would come up to me and kill me for my ore. No game ever gave me that sense of danger ever since.

brian0057

Banned
while that's true, I don't think it was ever called a killer, it was just a new entry in a long running series, that with a combination of extremely good controls at 60fps on console and a highly addictive progression system, managed to grow larger than anyone would have ever guessed.

what I'm looking for is games that have been hyped up pre-release to be the killer of a big IP.

Killzone and Haze for example were specifically called Halo killer by many ahead of release.
For a hot minute, it was called a "Medal of Honor killer".
Guess what happened next.

Came here to say EQ killed UO as well

Agree, Trammel did hurt the game quite a lot. What was fun about UO was the thrill of being attacked by anyone, anywhere. I remember as a newbie mining near Minoc, just praying no one would come up to me and kill me for my ore. No game ever gave me that sense of danger ever since.
Absolute bingo. How the developers couldn't understand this is beyond me. Fracturing the ecosystem was so dumb.

I'm not saying it destroyed the GT franchise, I just think Forza live up perfectly to the thread premise and succeded as a "killer", growing over the years and expanded to a new subgenre triumphantly.
I agree. Few games ever even become the equivalent to the game they’re trying to best. While forza won’t be the “killer” simply bc it’s on a different platform, Forza horizon has become THE racing game you can easily recommend to people.

PanzerCute

Ha yes, fair enough then! Great franchise in any case, great achievement for MS.

Top Bottom