• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wavemetrix: Nintendo’s DS outplays Sony’s PSP

SantaC

old?

WaveMetrix distributes regular summary updates of online customer intelligence reports on topical industry trends. We cover current issues in media, technology and telecoms.

* Nintendo’s DS outplays Sony’s PSP

This report provides a comparison of customer feedback between the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP handheld games consoles.

To receive a free copy of the full report, and future reports, register here.

http://www.wavemetrix.com/news/index.html

Teddman

http://www.cubed3.com/viewnews.php?storyid=4069

Highlights:
The feedback includes:

Nintendo DS
# Expand the available selection of games, reducing the number of GameBoy adaptations and puzzle titles.
# More scratch resistant durable material should be used for both screens, screens, in particular the touch area, is far too easy to damage without additional protection.
# Address what Nintendo defines as the number of dead pixels on the screens.
# Device is possibly to slow and could do with an upgraded specification according to consumers.

Sony PSP
# Range of games too narrow, may look good but not enjoyable to play.
# Frequent problems with product quality, including dead pixels.
# Thumb stick too uncomfortable and inaccurate to use according to the majority.
# Battery life is a severe issue when playing on the move most suggest.

The DS completely dominated the game category. Although the PSP seemingly has perhaps a larger quantity in comparison, the types of games have appealed to the majority because of the originality and ease of execution. In this area, the DS received a score of 0.6 out of 1, with the PSP slipping to –0.1. Both devices scored fairly poorly in quality, with issues on the DS covering the machine quality, casing along with the occasional problems with the screens. PSP, however, had a larger range of issues players expressed, including poor battery lifetime, misaligned pixels, excessive heat generation, and malfunctioning lights among other issues.

Finally, it comes down to cost and consumer incentive the DS again came out tops with special offers and a cheaper, proving more cost effective in the immediate and long term. However, this isn’t a definitive look at the overall views of consumers toward the DS and PSP but is an interesting view on a global perspective on different aspects of both consoles. Unfortunately for Sony though, Nintendo’s dual screen machine did come out tops inevitably proving that gameplay and innovation do surpass graphical aesthetics.

Teddman

The PSP, however, does surpass the DS in terms of the amount of discussion and hype surrounding it, with a 64% lead on how much it had been brought up. That said, unfortunately for the unit, the majority of discussion was somewhat negative.
:lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
akascream said:
Nintendo does it again.

...but they didn't do it yet in America. That's what I don't get. Outside of a couple games (and only very recently), the library of games available for the DS is pretty awful. I even have a hard time taking opinion into account here. I've walked into stores recently almost willing to grab a DS for Kirby and a few upcoming titles, but everytime I look at the software section, I back off.

Reilly

I think the PSP is doing alright considering it's the first legitimate handheld going up against Nintendo in a long time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Reilly said:
I think the PSP is doing alright considering it's the first legitimate handheld going up against Nintendo in a long time.

That's true...

For a while, people made it seem as if Nintendo and their DS was somehow the underdog, when in fact, that just isn't true. Competing against Nintendo in the handheld market seems to be very difficult, as they do well even when they release nothing but garbage. :D

It's important to remember that in Japan, summer break is like Christmas. It's the end of the school year, and so you see a flood of new games in June and July as the kids get out and want more games.

That's why you're seeing lots of releases in Japan now even during the US downtime. The DS will come into its own in the months leading up to Christmas here; after a totally dead July, things will get very interesting starting with 'dogs in August.

Teddman

Kobun Heat said:
The DS will come into its own in the months leading up to Christmas here; after a totally dead July, things will get very interesting starting with 'dogs in August.
Don't forget about Nanostray coming up this month! Good Rad. Silvergun clone.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Reilly said:

True, but considering the amount of hype the PSP got in pre-release, a lot of people (myself included) expected it to perform much better. I'm glad I own both systems, although I'm a bit disheartened at the lack of interesting PSP stuff at E3, and Popolocrois is the only thing I really want in the next few months.

Is it just me, or has there been very few PSP commercials on as of late? Especially considering I see Kirby and Meteos ads on a whole lot.

Teddman said:
Don't forget about Nanostray coming up this month! Good Rad. Silvergun clone.
Oh, whoops. My bad. Obviously I'm into Nanostray. I was just thinking that Nintendo doesn't have anything on tap for July. (Which they don't, for any system.)

Andy787

Banned
dark10x said:
...but they didn't do it yet in America. That's what I don't get. Outside of a couple games (and only very recently), the library of games available for the DS is pretty awful. I even have a hard time taking opinion into account here. I've walked into stores recently almost willing to grab a DS for Kirby and a few upcoming titles, but everytime I look at the software section, I back off.
Seriously. I've had a DS since day one, and I still don't understand what people are liking about it. I mean, when the library improves (and Kirby and Meteos are a good start), sure, but right now, it has quite possibly the most abysmal library of any major system at this point in it's life that I've ever seen.

Teddman

Holy shit, just noticed that the sequel to one of my GBC favorites, Survival Kids, is coming out for DS in August too. I didn't even know about that one (Lost in Blue).

Andy787 said:
but right now, it has quite possibly the most abysmal library of any major system at this point in it's life that I've ever seen.

You must have not been an early adopter of the PS2.

To me, it stands as the system with the worst "year-one" to date.

Reilly

djtiesto said:
Is it just me, or has there been very few PSP commercials on as of late? Especially considering I see Kirby and Meteos ads on a whole lot.

There's a PSP promotion going on with Mcdonald's right now.

Amir0x

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

To me, it stands as the worst "year-one" systems to date.

I so agree with this. When the highlights are SSX, Dynasty Warriors and Ring of Red, you know things are bad.

Sanjuro

Andy787 said:
Seriously. I've had a DS since day one, and I still don't understand what people are liking about it. I mean, when the library improves (and Kirby and Meteos are a good start), sure, but right now, it has quite possibly the most abysmal library of any major system at this point in it's life that I've ever seen.

Super Mario 64 DS
WarioWare Twisted
Polarium
Yoshi's Touch And Go
Kirby Cavas Curse
Meteos
Bomberman

With the best lineup of games coming out currently for any platform later this year? Like the other man said...you have never owned a PS2 at launch.

Andy787

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

To me, it stands as one of the worst "year-one" systems to date.
Haha, I actually editted out "including PS2" from that post. :p But regardless, I would say that the PS2 had a far, far better library in the same amount of time. In the same amount of time that the DS has been released, PS2 already had Tekken Tag, Twisted Metal Black, Onimusha, Ridge Racer V, SSX, Shadow of Destiny, Sky Odyssey, Ring of Red, Dark Cloud, Zone of the Enders, and Gran Turismo 3 and Klonoa 2 were only a few weeks later. And of course, you can't forget that GTA3, MGS2, FFX, Ico, etc., followed at the end of the year.

The PS2's first year was so unbelievably blown out of proportion in terms of quality by the online community, and the PSP's seems to be following the same road. :/

Andy787

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Super Mario 64 DS
WarioWare Twisted
Polarium
Yoshi's Touch And Go
Kirby Cavas Curse
Meteos
Bomberman
What a miserable list. And it has taken almost 9 months to build six titles, of this weak of quality. How can people be impressed or happy with this?

Like the other man said...you have never owned a PS2 at launch.
Read my other post. You apparently have no recolection.

terrene

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Wi-Fi Multiplayer Katamari Damacy >>>>>>>>>>> The Entire Planet.
Really?

I was totally disappointed with multiplayer KD and I loved that game to death. I'd settle for just a PORTABLE version. The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Although, I do secretly lust for KD with downloadable content / level design / map trading.

Andy787 said:
What a miserable list. And it has taken almost 9 months to build six titles, of this weak of quality. How can people be impressed or happy with this?

Of course its miserable, its on a Nintendo console.......

Sanjuro

Andy787 said:

Apparently you are having too much fun playing Mace Griffon Bounty Hunter to expierence the great DS games available. Have fun!

Sanjuro

terrene said:
Really?

I was totally disappointed with multiplayer KD and I loved that game to death. I'd settle for just a PORTABLE version. The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Although, I do secretly lust for KD with downloadable content / level design / map trading.

We'll were talking on a hand held here. I can never imagine myself in the next 5 years at least playing a handheld game multiplayer as much as a console or pc game. It would be really damn fun to see some multiplayer puzzle games of course. I think it would be fun to see 4 player Katamari deathmatches to see who gets the biggest ball at the end of a set time and various other minigames while playing on the shitter.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Apparently you are having too much fun playing Mace Griffon Bounty Hunter to expierence the great DS games available. Have fun!

Did you just completely ignore the list of PS2 games he posted that came out in the same time period? It does a pretty good job of showing that the PS2's first year is nowhere near as bad as some try to make people think.

I love how folks forget Madden 2000 for the PS2 at launch, the title that pretty much handed it the US market on a platter.

And Nanostray isn't anything close to a Radiant Silvergun clone, save a shared technical aesthetic. The quality of shooter design between the two is parsecs in difference -- Nanostray is a mediocre Amiga-era shooter gussied up with a little 32-bit class 3D, whereas Radiant Silvergun is one of the deepest, best-designed shooters ever made.

Lastly, the study was conducted on internet messageboards -- the selfsame sorts of boards who think that the world begins and ends with Square or Nintendo. Obviously, their manufactured "reality" isn't borne out by market performance, or we'd all be playing FF12 on our Gamecubes.

Howzzat for damage control, stoolies?

Teddman

Drinky Crow said:
And Nanostray isn't anything close to a Radiant Silvergun clone, save a shared technical aesthetic. The quality of shooter design between the two is parsecs in difference -- Nanostray is a mediocre Amiga-era shooter gussied up with a little 32-bit class 3D, whereas Radiant Silvergun is one of the deepest, best-designed shooters ever made.
Have you played it?

Sanjuro

SolidSnakex said:
Did you just completely ignore the list of PS2 games he posted that came out in the same time period? It does a pretty good job of showing that the PS2's first year is nowhere near as bad as some try to make people think.

No I read the list. I'm enjoying my time with the DS far more than those titles. GTA3 still didnt come for some time. My PS2 until then was host to PS1 games.

And don't get me started on MGS2......If your a fan of the series dont start and argument I've had far too many. MGS and MGS3 are pure sex and two of the finest games ever made.

Nope. But I've played Iridion 2, and I've watched the videos of Nanostray. I see the poor boss designs and amateurish bullet patterns of Iridion 2 and other European Amiga-style shooters remain intact. Like most European shooters, the emphasis is on technology over mechanics, and absolutely nothing I've seen says otherwise. Adding in a chaining component is not the same as making it work, and comparing Nanostray to Radiant Silvergun shows the desperation DS fanboys will go to when looking increase their favorite handheld's pitiful launch library.

We're approaching the DS' one-year anniversary, and y'all still have Launch Title Syndrome -- that bizarre affectation that garners loads of attention and sales for B-quality games due to a starved library. It's kinda cute!

Ruzbeh

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I love how folks forget Madden 2000 for the PS2 at launch, the title that pretty much handed it the US market on a platter.

Lastly, the study was conducted on internet messageboards -- the selfsame sorts of boards who think that the world begins and ends with Square or Nintendo. Obviously, their manufactured "reality" isn't borne out by market performance, or we'd all be playing FF12 on our Gamecubes.

Howzzat for damage control, stoolies?
dc_avatar.gif
dc_avatar.gif

m_mouth.jpg

Like Teddman says, have you played Nanostray? Anyway. It's only a matter of time. Yes. Just like it was in Japan. The stuff you see in Japan will basically happen in the US. And eventually in Europe. Just wait a lil longer (yes, American DS owners, even longer) and DS am explode. :)

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Americans aren't nostalgic for PSOne-era 3D and goofy mini-games just YET, but I've been wrong once!

(I'm also betting that Madden 2006 PSP will be a killer app, but we'll see -- the pared down DS version didn't exactly move units, although that could be attributed to the DS' initial sales base of Nintendo fanboys and "hardcore" haters.)

terrene

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
We'll were talking on a hand held here. I can never imagine myself in the next 5 years at least playing a handheld game multiplayer as much as a console or pc game. It would be really damn fun to see some multiplayer puzzle games of course. I think it would be fun to see 4 player Katamari deathmatches to see who gets the biggest ball at the end of a set time and various other minigames while playing on the shitter.
It seems like everything in Katamari Damacy (whether it's a skyscraper or a cat) has rougly the same properties, and few of them even have textures, so I'd like to see an object creator. And level designer, for that matter.

Teddman

Drinky Crow said:
Nope. But I've played Iridion 2, and I've watched the videos of Nanostray. I see the poor boss designs and amateurish bullet patterns of Iridion 2 and other European Amiga-style shooters remain intact. Like most European shooters, the emphasis is on technology over mechanics, and absolutely nothing I've seen says otherwise. Adding in a chaining component is not the same as making it work, and comparing Nanostray to Radiant Silvergun shows the desperation DS fanboys will go to when looking increase their favorite handheld's pitiful launch library.
Well, then please don't talk as if you have, your post certainly gave the impression that you did. ;) You know better than to pass off watching videos as if it's hands-on experience.

Saying something is a clone of another game doesn't automatically bring with it the connotation that it surpasses or equals said game in quality, i.e. "Halo clone" or "Mario clone." For instance, Swingaway Golf was a Hot Shots Golf clone... you get the picture.

On the other hand, while it's decidedly unreasonable to expect Nanostray to be the equal of Radiant Silvergun (not being developed by Treasure), it does largely come closer than pretty much any other vertical shooter since. The 3D camera moves blended with 2D gameplay, 6+ different weapons, a focus on boss battles (which are even preceded by Silvergun-style WARNING text)... And it plays like a quality shooter.

There's nothing inaccurate about calling Nanostray a Silvergun "clone," as it's the nearest thing to it stylistically in vertical shooters AND it looks to be a solid effort at that. Bending over backwards to belie that and spin it so negatively especially without even having played it... I think the DS hater in you has sadly gotten the upper hand of the shooter aficionado. :(

Top Bottom