• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB retaliates against IGN for negative Suicide Squad preview

Papa_Wisdom

This means they are sucking each other off in the closet.
nicole kidman randy marsh GIF by South Park

gothmog

Gold Member
Just saying, if no one got codes, how the fuck did they play it? Maybe I am wrong and people got preview codes :messenger_weary:
There was a preview event they invited media and streamers to. The article is vague but mentions preview event a few times.

This whole thing is a shit show but IGN is milking it for drama points.

Last edited:

ungalo

I don't want to sound like i'm on WB side but i feel it's another way to cater to their audience to shit on games that they know are going to be strongly rejected by the public before it even released. They know they have to do this once in a while so they can keep praising everything and nobody's going to get hurt in their feelings.

I'm saying this because i actually read the preview and i feel it was written very poorly and in a very familiar tone, it was ostentatiously subjective and emotional like "i didn't want this game to be like that", very weird.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just confirms no reviews until launch day. Like I said in another topic they aren't confident about their product and being belligerent in this manner because of negative publicity just is unprofessional and juvenile.

But hey have a riddle. Riddle me this, Batman: What do you call a stone that doesn’t fall, had so much potential but wasted it all? Rocksteady.

Go_Ly_Dow

There's an article: https://www.ign.com/articles/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-review

Suicide Squad’s “early access” period will start to go live around the world late Monday night on consoles (and 10am PT Tuesday on Steam), which means that’s when it’s officially out, practically speaking. Unfortunately, we won’t have a review of Rocksteady’s new game-as-a-service looter shooter for you right away, as codes have not been sent ahead of time – in fact, Warner Bros. Games informed IGN that it has declined to send us codes at all.

That’s disappointing because we always strive to have a full opinion on a major game available for you at launch, but it’s well within WB’s rights, as sending out review codes is neither an obligation nor something we take for granted. We will purchase our own copies and start our review in progress, guides, and other coverage the moment it launches, and we’ll have impressions up as soon as we can after that. Thanks for being patient!

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think it's weird that people accuse these sites of being paid shills and when they show they aren't it's unprofessional lol
When they aren't, they prove they are, making such negative previews an one in a million exception as more often than not even crap hyped games have a positive message right up to the review as if they were playing a different game until that point and couldn't have expressed valid concerns 🤷‍♂️

It shows double standards at best and at worst that when such previews are done it's not their point to be sincere but rather a sacrifice chosen for clickbait (of course this would be from a company they don't tend to have dealings of the sort with) or a reminder that they were not paid their dues 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Would bet it's less retaliation against anyone and more "hold the reviews" to get as many people to jump on this before the reviews start hitting. IGN's preview was a little odd on the complaints but not entirely unfair largely coming from someone who is burnt out on this type of (open-world) game. Your average gamer who isn't burning through mountains of backlogs may have an entirely different experience.

The amount of people who write off a 7-8/10 game baffles me - That's still very much in the good territory of a fun experience. That's not an excuse for the devs to not do better, just that there can be far, far too much on an emotional investment in a simple score to argue about. Regardless, hopefully there's a demo at least for people to give it a chance themselves without having to rely on another person's determination of what's fun or not.

Sunset Overdrive gets a real bad rep as far as I’m concerned. I genuinely had a really good time with it. Even bought all the dlc

Though I can see the similarities with this everything about it (Apart from the characters) screams mediocre.
It’s definitely not the rocksteady I’m used to. I also doubt it’s anything like what insomniac can deliver. We shall see what happens. I would hate to see a decent game get trashed because that was the popular thing to do on the internet. People ‘s livelihoods are on the line here.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

It’s definitely not the rocksteady I’m used to. I also doubt it’s anything like what insomniac can deliver. We shall see what happens. I would hate to see a decent game get trashed because that was the popular thing to do on the internet. People ‘s livelihoods are on the line here.
Definitely, I loved the Arkham games and after so long in development this is definitely not what I expected them to have produced.

I’m hoping it turns out to be a pleasant suprise for the people that enjoy these types of games but I’m not not of them. It all just looks so tedious, mind numbing and by the numbers.

With the wealth of material and characters they had at there disposal it just looks like an extreme disappointment.

Even if it was an Arkham copy set on the batman beyond universe I would have been there day one but the suicide squad as characters along with the gameplay shown just doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest.

MarkMe2525

Considering the vitriol this game is receiving, I wouldn't send out codes either. Let's set aside the idea that this game deserves it because it's not the game we want it to be, no one here has played it and yet everyone is already primed to pick it apart. Even if the game is decent, the focus will be on the negatives. WB recognizes that sending out codes is a lose lose situation.

“Previews … neutral”

No, previews should be indicative of the final product and any issues should be highlighted, and trash should be called out.

If they’re withholding review codes across the board to mitigate the inevitable bad reviews, then that just shows how important it is that previews are honest.

Can’t believe WB is going so far, just to let people buy the game blindly on day 1.
Pretty sure the game will be dead in a couple of months maximum.

I will just watch the cutscenes on YouTube, that is a more cost and time saving solution.

But I feel sorry for the developers, the game will bomb and because of that many of the staff will probably loose their job and just because they were forced to make a type of fame, they didn’t want to do…

Last edited:
Top Bottom