• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Need To Have A Real Conversation About Starfield's Supposed Scope & Complexity

Do YOU think Starfield is the most ambitious and complex game to have yet been made?

• Yes

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Sorta?

Votes: 14 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Starfield-FirstSteps_Wallpaper_5654x2763-01.jpg

So in the wake of the Starfield Direct, we've seen a good number of journalists and reports, not to mention fans, big-up the game and shower it with glowing praise, calling it a magnum opus, potential "Game of the Generation", and the most ambitious game to release yet for the new consoles.

Now, personally, I liked the Starfield Direct. I wish they had actual uninterrupted gameplay showing a whole gameplay loop, but I did seem some improvements over the 2022 footage namely in certain character outfit textures and framerate stability/framepacing. Some of the expanded looks into features like shipbuilding were awesome, showing off a lot of variety in how you can build a ship and how that build affects its performance as well as interior makeup. The space battles looked fun, and some of the planets with alien life on them look like they would be fun to explore and observe in a jungle safari kind of way.

But I didn't see anything that made me think "Oh wow! This is easily the most complex and ambitious game ever made!", and I saw nothing in terms of systems or complexity, nor in terms of visuals, that made me think the game NEEDED to be locked to only a 30 FPS Quality Mode option.

Let me clarify what I mean when I say complexity: it is NOT in terms of content scope AKA total amount of explorable content. And the reason why is simple: that's the easiest way to try defining game complexity and has been that way since the 1990s. If you make a 2D Mario game with 5,000 levels, is that suddenly more "complex" and ambitious than SMB3 simply because it has a crapton of more levels, but otherwise the actual game mechanics and level of simultaneously engaged systems remain the same? No! It just means you have a larger SMB3 with 5,000 levels. You aren't playing all 5,000 levels at once, your actions in one level aren't cascading in real-time onto the other 4,999 levels (or even maybe 3 other levels). You just have a larger playground to play in.

This is basically how I see Starfield. It is a larger Fallout set in space, with a lot more "levels", and maybe a few extra systems (such as the aforementioned shipbuilding), but otherwise has the same level and degree of simultaneously engaged systems & mechanics as previous titles like Fallout 4 or Skyrim. Your "playground" is much larger but your bucket of toys to play with in that playground is more or less the same in number of toys, and their complexity.

Now this isn't me saying that there aren't things of higher complexity in Starfield vs. Fallout 4 or Skyrim. They have a gravity system in place for your ship that runs concurrent to the gravity of outdoor areas, for example. There are more particle effects from gunfire here vs. say Fallout 4, meaning more particle calculations, etc. But when we get to other things such as number of onscreen enemies, scale of onscreen enemies, number of onscreen NPCs, NPC idle & walking/item interaction routines, animation systems, object physics, atmospheric weather systems etc., there is virtually nothing in the Starfield footage that looks leaps and bounds over other high-budget open-world AAA games already on the market. Because in some of those games, there is at least comparable or in some cases, more concurrently happening, in terms of the immediate locality and space of the player, on-screen both in terms of visibly observant and background systems.

Part of my conclusion here could be based on the fact the Starfield footage was not uninterrupted gameplay, but rather snippets of certain segments of the game with developer staff acting as transitions to them. Indeed if that is the case, then the blame wouldn't fall on me, rather on the way Bethesda chose to show off the gameplay with segmented cuts rather than as an uninterrupted gameplay sequence through a story mission or so. Maybe they couldn't show off a mission with all the mechanics revealed actually being a part of said mission, but that would also signal (to me) that the typical gameplay loop is probably less reflective of the impression of a gameplay loop the Starfield Direct presented. Regardless, it doesn't change what I've observed.

And let me also clarify: this is NOT the same thing as me saying Starfield is not complex or not ambitious. Several people, when I've mentioned this opinion in previous topics, interpreted it that way when I in fact said no such thing. Starfield is clearly an ambitious game, large in scope and with a great deal of complexity. However, I feel it is fairly easy to challenge the notion that it's "magnitudes" beyond some other open-world games on the market in that sense because when you look beyond simple amount of content, there is no evidence proving this magnitudes of increase is actually present.

To further illustrate this, I kick off from a point raised in Digital Foundry's Starfield Direct analysis. They spend a decent chunk of time defending Starfield having no console options beyond 30 FPS, and one of them related to object permanence. Specifically, they said that Starfield (and other Bethesda games) have to mark the state and location of every object a player can interact with, which in DF's eyes, contributes significantly to the complexity of the game and justifies locking it at 30.

In actuality, that is a false assertion.

The way they describe object permanence in Starfield's case is NOT one that increases the processing burden on the CPU/logic side for such a state of time that it would be a contributor to lower framerates. Noting the state and location of an object is as simple as getting the coordinates, a unique reference ID of the object (and any parent object(s)), the location the object was in, and some marker for its state. You can keep that data in RAM if it's going to be used again very soon, otherwise write it out to storage.

The actual math for this should not be that complicated; you can technically break down items to their base components in games like Fallout and I expect that to remain the case in Starfield, but those would be static objects meaning persistent asset instances can be created for said base components and loaded into memory, something other open-world games already do. It's not like you can actually break the objects in real-time, with per-pixel object deformation to calculate. There is no indication that's the case in Starfield and that is the only way in which DF's assertion regarding "object permanence" would actually be relevant to performance dictating a design choice for 30 FPS.

In other words, using "object permanence" as a buzz term may sound like a good enough reasoning to justify no performance options beyond 30 on console for this game, but it doesn't work as an excuse when you break down what the game is actually calculating with those object interactions. And this bleeds over to other aspects of the game, when I question the claims of "magnitudes more complexity" over other open-world games. Todd Howard says there's a planet in the sky and that you can actually travel there...cool. But, when I'm on the current planet, to me that planet you're saying I can go to might as well be a JPEG in a skybox. The vast majority of these planets are barren, so there are not a lot of systems in terms of plant photosynthesis, terrain deformation etc. to calculate. Not only is that not required, but I doubt it would be happening at all. Can I warp to that planet in the sky you say I can travel to? If I can't, then that planet might as well be a JPEG, load in the actual data from storage once I have my cutscene to travel to it. Is anything I'm doing on the current planet, having some real-time cause-and-effect on that planet in the sky I can travel to? No? OK then.

Hopefully in reading this some of you can understand what I mean in talking about scope in terms of complexity of systems and interactions between systems occurring concurrently. Systems that have immediate results on the screen a player can see and feel, as well as background systems that are informed by or help inform the ones producing those visible results. I also hope some of you understand that this is me not saying Starfield lacks such complexity in this aspect of scope; it is very much present and you would be a fool to say it isn't. However, I also feel it should not be controversial to claim that Starfield's degree of such scope in complexity is not "leaps and bounds" beyond at least a few other open-world games on the market, but rather at best on par with them.

Some of the hyperbolic takes around the gameplay footage feel a lot like fluff pieces to me, like an overcorrection in pouring praise onto the game (or like we've seen for the Xbox Showcase itself, and I say that as someone who still says it was better than the PlayStation Showcase) when they don't need to do so. Then there are the ones who want to posit that every other game on the market, or coming to the market aside from Starfield, is immediately a lesser experience. I would say, those are some wild takes fueled mainly by feelings more than anything factual, but I feel some of the misappropriated analysis from the media regarding the game's showing help fuel those wilder takes, and that's unfortunate.

I wrote this in hopes of counterbalancing that while still making sure to acknowledge the impressiveness of what has been shown of Starfield to date. Indeed, even amid the points mentioned above (and some specific visual downgrades that I avoided to bring up), Starfield is going to be a big game, and a big deal. It's the shot in the arm Microsoft needed after the disappointment of Halo Infinite, relative sameness of Forza Horizon 5, non-commercial cult favoring of Hifi Rush and disaster of RedFall. But we don't need to overinflate its importance or impact to show that excitement or appreciation.

feynoob

Banned
Some of the hyperbolic takes around the gameplay footage feel a lot like fluff pieces to me, like an overcorrection in pouring praise onto the game (or like we've seen for the Xbox Showcase itself, and I say that as someone who still says it was better than the PlayStation Showcase) when they don't need to do so. Then there are the ones who want to posit that every other game on the market, or coming to the market aside from Starfield, is immediately a lesser experience. I would say, those are some wild takes fueled mainly by feelings more than anything factual, but I feel some of the misappropriated analysis from the media regarding the game's showing help fuel those wilder takes, and that's unfortunate.
This is your problem.
Their scope is bigger. But as long as you have this views, you won't be convinced easily.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I really didn't see anything to suggest that, no.

It's Skyrim in space but bigger. That's cool, looks cool, will play. But absolutely none of that extended preview blew my mind one bit.

Trilobit

From what I saw from the trailer it looked a bit devoid of soul. I didn't really like the design and artstyle. Hopefully it all comes together in the release, but nothing really hooked me right now. It looks too realistic, I'd like something more like with the edge of Hyperion and 2001 - A Space Odyssey.

StereoVsn

From what I saw from the trailer it looked a bit devoid of soul. I didn't really like the design and artstyle. Hopefully it all comes together in the release, but nothing really hooked me right now. It looks too realistic, I'd like something more like with the edge of Hyperion and 2001 - A Space Odyssey.
Eh, it's very NASA / Space Odyssey 2001/2010 feeling to me I'm the tech and overall design. Plus a bit of alien reveal toward end of presentation.

Characters though...yeah, didn't get a great feeling there. Usual terribad Bethesda facial animation and the bit about romance felt like a threat, lol.

Tg89

I mean it's an iteration on what Bethesda has been doing for a couple decades now. Different, more expansive setting, but yeah nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.

Ambition and complexity are overrated in this space though. Refinement always comes out on top. We'll see if they can do that.

Most ambitious? Probably not, but in terms of complexity, it’s a Mass Effect like RPG with story, dialogue and companions, a NMS type space exploration game, a shooter, a base building/ship building resources management game all rolled into one. That’s plenty complex and not just Mario with more levels.

You can watch this to get an idea what the game is.

You keep doing this and I keep telling you I've already watching this footage. I watched it that Sunday 🤣

It's not the most impressive and complex game ever released on console but it is up there.

But let's be honest, if this game was PS5 exclusive would this thread even had been created?

Uh, yeah? I mean wasn't the rumor that Sony were going to lock it down as a timed console exclusive?

That's interesting; personally I like the art style, quite like it in fact. But on the technical side some things got downgraded, massively downgraded in some cases like the character creator models :/

Maybe there are other planets or elements that come into play later which provide a more Hyperion/2001 type of vibe. We'll see.

ungalo

Let me clarify what I mean when I say complexity: it is NOT in terms of content scope AKA total amount of explorable content. And the reason why is simple: that's the easiest way to try defining game complexity and has been that way since the 1990s. If you make a 2D Mario game with 5,000 levels, is that suddenly more "complex" and ambitious than SMB3 simply because it has a crapton of more levels, but otherwise the actual game mechanics and level of simultaneously engaged systems remain the same? No! It just means you have a larger SMB3 with 5,000 levels. You aren't playing all 5,000 levels at once, your actions in one level aren't cascading in real-time onto the other 4,999 levels (or even maybe 3 other levels). You just have a larger playground to play in.
You're talking about the technical aspect of things. Of course one level is one level. Still, if Nintendo would make a Mario with 5000 levels handcrafted, it would be incredibly ambitious for one game.

I didn't read entirely but your premice seems to be that it's not a game that is that impressive technically speaking. But that's not really what people refer to when they say the game is ambitious and has a big scope.

And obviously Starfield is not the equivalent of 5000 levels in Mario, in fact 5000 levels in Mario doesn't really pose a fundamental design problem, it would just be a basic problem of "how to actually design 5000 different levels ?". While Starfield actually face a huge challenge, because of how the different elements of design are intertwined and how the handcrafted content will blend in with so many planets. Yes most systems were already present in Fallout 4 and Skyrim but the mix of procedural and handcrafted at this level raise so many questions it's obviously the core of the ambition of the game, what can make the game stand out.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Bethesda's most ambitious maybe, but I didn't see anything groundbreaking. Would have thought so if the inter planetary travel wasn't just a cutscene to load stuff.
Will all depend on how everything comes together once the game is released.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
You keep doing this and I keep telling you I've already watching this footage. I watched it that Sunday
Eye Think GIF by VPRO

All I can say is that in-depth can help you get some pointers. Otherwise, wait for the launch like all of us are doing.

I am glad for the pirate route. I can raid as many ships as I want to.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nah. If they had like 10 filled planets carefully crafted then yeah. But when I hear “1000 planets” or similar bullshit I know that I will most likely see copy and paste and more of the same.

I highly highly doubt this game is as complex as Witcher 3, TotK, RDR2 or even GTAV.

If a game makes people write this much shit about it, then it’s going to be an amazing game.

Shut the fuck up and enjoy your hobby. Who cares about anything else.

Most complex game? Probably not. A very ambitious game? Absolutely. Give it a rest.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Nah. If they had like 10 filled planets carefully crafted then yeah. But when I hear “1000 planets” or similar bullshit I know that I will most likely see copy and paste and more of the same.

I highly highly doubt this game is as complex as Witcher 3, TotK, RDR2 or even GTAV.
1000 planet is achievable. More than that, and I would have been suspicious about this game.

If they use procedural techniques very well with those 1k planets, then this could have a generation experience.

Rd2 and gtav world is made alive by those NPCs, Especially rd2.

Mods say hi.
Check out Skyrim. They deviled that game nonstop.

You can't use community mods to bolster the game since those are not made by Bethesda themselves.

Of course not. There is an obvious agenda to downplay this game. Console wars never die.

If it were a PS5 exclusive I'd be bringing up the same points. But I probably wouldn't have to, since a lot of the media would be doing that instead (or finding other ways to pick it apart).

I'm not trying to be nitpicky in analyzing Starfield BTW, just asking what's been shown that makes it magnitudes more ambitious than other open-world games on the market right now.

Eye Think GIF by VPRO

All I can say is that in-depth can help you get some pointers. Otherwise, wait for the launch like all of us are doing.

I am glad for the pirate route. I can raid as many ships as I want to.

That is still a content option, not necessarily illustrating complexity in terms of concurrent systems affecting the player at any given moment.

But playing a pirate raiding ships does sound fun.

You're talking about the technical aspect of things. Of course one level is one level. Still, if Nintendo would make a Mario with 5000 levels handcrafted, it would be incredibly ambitious for one game.

I didn't read entirely but your premice seems to be that it's not a game that is that impressive technically speaking. But that's not really what people refer to when they say the game is ambitious and has a big scope.

And obviously Starfield is not the equivalent of 5000 levels in Mario, in fact 5000 levels in Mario doesn't really pose a fundamental design problem, it would just be a basic problem of "how to actually design 5000 different levels ?". While Starfield actually face a huge challenge, because of how the different elements of design are intertwined and how the handcrafted content will blend in with so many planets. Yes most systems were already present in Fallout 4 and Skyrim but the mix of procedural and handcrafted at this level raise so many questions it's obviously the core of the ambition of the game, what can make the game stand out.

This is a good point and I'll admit there are varying ways to view complexity. FWIW I did allude to complexity in breadth of content, but (and I still hold onto this idea) that is among the easiest way to show complexity and grow upon it. Which could be argued as not being particularly ambitious depending on how you look at it.

But I will say there are aspects like the hand-crafted content and procedural content, how those interact with each other at the scale of content Bethesda are making, which should certainly be considered perhaps in justifying claims of Starfield being a very complex game. However, in my personal opinion I wouldn't say it's the only nor most impressive means to display complexity of a game's design.

Yes I do focus mainly on technical terms, but not necessarily just in terms of visual fidelity. Technical aspects relating to various physics systems, foliage simulation, cloud/atmospheric systems, collision systems etc. those are all things beyond simply the visuals.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's Fallout 4 in space where instead of having one largely seamless landmass you have several of them to travel between via a separate "space travel/combat" part of the game. Basically a mash up of Bethesda gameplay x Mass Effect dividing to many landmasses onto different planets you travel to, with a more advanced inbetween/travel space game bit. Just because the next Elder Scrolls probably won't have space travel (though it could while remaining largely fantasy, like some of the original Wizardry games), it doesn't have to be considered less ambitious over it. It's not having space travel or separate worlds (or dimensions like Oblivion or TOTK's depths) to visit that makes the game ambitious or not, it's how everything gameplay wise works (or doesn't). On that front they haven't shown much more than a potential refinement/improvement of everything they've done before 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's not PS5 exclusive. It's a Xbox published game, and frankly looking at your post history your agenda is pretty transparent. So excuse me for heavily doubting the intentions of this thread.

I just try keeping truthful about what I observe regarding these systems. Yes, I'm critical of several aspects of Xbox ATM when it comes to supposed performance claims, or certain claims of profit and sustainability of certain business models. I vehemently dislike how Microsoft have pursued discourse regarding the ABK acquisition, I question what the hardware sales numbers actually are, etc.

But I'm not doing that to just hate on them. I think they had the better Showcase between them and Sony. I like that they are pursuing variety in AAA and AA 1P games and hope Sony would expand out to doing more 1P AA games too (while still bringing the AAA games of course). I think Sony eventually have to find an answer to the Day 1 1P (and select 3P) games in Game Pass, without jeopardizing the B2P model they rely on so heavily, among other things.

The only thing I am even expressing here with Starfield is that I can't buy into the claims that it's magnitudes more ambitious and complex than some of the other big open-world AAA games already available. That's basically it. I can give the game its props without feeling it's well & beyond other games on the market, or that other open-world games are inherently inferior to it.

Who believes any of this shit is genuine given the OPs post history lmao.

The agenda is very clear. If this were Xbox fans talking about a PS exclusive I'm sure the first calls about getting paid for it would have already been made...

Well if any of them were people like Colteastwood, Destin or Crapdealer, I'd absolutely make those claims because those three have very clear corporate ties to Xbox.

But if they were typical/normal Xbox fans just being (fairly and constructively) critical of a PS exclusive, then I wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Your analysis on object permanence is horrid, you severely underestimate the complexity of doing that in computing terms.

While I agree, I feel like its one of those Jurassic Park quotes where they were so preocupated wheter they could they didn't think they should.
In my opinion of course, object permanence is an useless feature. Skyrim teach me as much this serves for nothing and creates more problems for the sake of nothing.

foamdino

No it isn't the most complex game ever created, that is Dwarf Fortress. Starfield is pretty, almost certain to be a commercial success, has a decent amount of systems etc. But it in no way compares with Dwarf Fortress in terms of the complexity of it's systems and system interactions.

Western media is doing the usual "promote Xbox" thing that they have been doing since the beginning of the Xbox One generation.

Ar¢tos

I just try keeping truthful about what I observe regarding these systems. Yes, I'm critical of several aspects of Xbox ATM when it comes to supposed performance claims, or certain claims of profit and sustainability of certain business models. I vehemently dislike how Microsoft have pursued discourse regarding the ABK acquisition, I question what the hardware sales numbers actually are, etc.

But I'm not doing that to just hate on them. I think they had the better Showcase between them and Sony. I like that they are pursuing variety in AAA and AA 1P games and hope Sony would expand out to doing more 1P AA games too (while still bringing the AAA games of course). I think Sony eventually have to find an answer to the Day 1 1P (and select 3P) games in Game Pass, without jeopardizing the B2P model they rely on so heavily, among other things.

The only thing I am even expressing here with Starfield is that I can't buy into the claims that it's magnitudes more ambitious and complex than some of the other big open-world AAA games already available. That's basically it. I can give the game its props without feeling it's well & beyond other games on the market, or that other open-world games are inherently inferior to it.

Well if any of them were people like Colteastwood, Destin or Crapdealer, I'd absolutely make those claims because those three have very clear corporate ties to Xbox.

But if they were typical/normal Xbox fans just being (fairly and constructively) critical of a PS exclusive, then I wouldn't mind.
In this forum you can't be purely critical without taking a side.
If you are against Activision merger or you don't believe Spencer's lies you are a Sony fanboy but if, at the same time, you say Sony 1st party games are increasingly stagnant and incredibly boring and their new found love for GAAS reduces the value of gaming you are a Xbox rat too.
There is no middle ground around here...

I would also love for someone or some media site to list what this game is doing that is so cpu demanding (outside of the crap Bethesda engine that is cpu heavy), but nobody seems to be able to say, outside of "object persistence™®©", the new Starfield buzzword.

Freeman76

Its gonna be great, thats all i give a shit about. Who cares if its the 'best' at anything, its only a game. Looks immersive as fuck, and seems to have plenty of systems to tinker around with. That'll do me

Most ambitious? Probably not, but in terms of complexity, it’s a Mass Effect like RPG with story, dialogue and companions, a NMS type space exploration game, a shooter, a base building/ship building resources management game all rolled into one. That’s plenty complex and not just Mario with more levels.
I forgot to mention there is a space combat game in there too. So basically 5 games worth of complexity woven into one. Now we have to actually play the game to see if the execution is there, that the 5 different games’ elements are woven together effectively. But to even attempt it is plenty ambitious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom