• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the one game you keep playing but you absolutely suck at?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
We all probably have a few of these games that we wanna be good at or want to complete because we’re not going to let some damn game beat me attitude! (I have this illness)

I remember doing a raid on stream one time for destiny that took me 80+ deaths to pass. I was in complete shambles. Some dude were watching me and said ok we’re heading to the club and 5 hours later they were back and I was still on the same mission! They freaked out and dropped 25 subs!

I also hated and I mean hated Ninja Gaiden back in the Xbox days. I felt the game cheated a lot!

Nowadays I play Fortnite and I suck but I keep going back to see if I magically get better! Also COD!

I hate and love that game! Do you all have some games you still play but just hate a lot of the time?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
COD kicks my ass especially since the SBMM swings so wildly

Also get headshot a lot in Hell let Loose and never knew where it came from but still can't stop myself at times from crossing open fields

TexMex

Played Warcraft 3 weekly for 20 years with a sub 50% win rate.

I’ll always buy the new Street Fighter / MK games but I’m completely inept at fighting games.

CRPGs may as well be in hieroglyphics but I try to play them all the same.

Fbh

Rocket league I guess.
Been playing since it came out and I'm stuck in platinum 1.

To be fair I think I've reached the limit of how far I can go up the ranks by simply playing. I'd probably have to start practicing and mastering more advanced moves but meh, if I'm not going to be playing an online match with friends I'd rather just play a single player game than being stuck in training mode

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
COD kicks my ass especially since the SBMM swings so wildly

Also get headshot a lot in Hell let Loose and never knew where it came from but still can't stop myself at times from crossing open fields
Haven’t played hell let lose is it a sim or more arcade?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Rocket league I guess.
Been playing since it came out and I'm stuck in platinum 1.

To be fair I think I've reached the limit of how far I can go up the ranks by simply playing. I'd probably have to start practicing and mastering more advanced moves but meh, if I'm not going to be playing an online match with friends I'd rather just play a single player game than being stuck in training mode
Tried this one and when some dude did like 2 360 air flips and kicked the ball across the net I uninstalled knowing I was already getting pissed off!!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Haven’t played hell let lose is it a sim or more arcade?
More of a sim.

No kill feed no kill cams

The only way you know for sure someone is dead is if you hear the ping to designate a headshot hitting their helmet or if in an open field you see the rag doll kind of effect, always best to body shoot them a few times

Its tough to pick up, only 1 scoped weapon per side in 50 v 50 on huge maps

Fbh

Oh also SRPG's. I love stuff like Fire Emblem, FF Tactics and Triangle Strategy but I'm not very good at them

I generally play games in hard mode, but most SRPG's are just too much for me in anything above normal.

StueyDuck

I wouldn't really say I suck at games, generally I place well in matches or can complete games so my answer is gonna be something like Civ or RTS games where I know if I played someone else I'd get proper smashed.

I very much have strategies for those games and I'm sure someone whose studied all the minutia will just outflank me

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Played Warcraft 3 weekly for 20 years with a sub 50% win rate.

I’ll always buy the new Street Fighter / MK games but I’m completely inept at fighting games.

CRPGs may as well be in hieroglyphics but I try to play them all the same.
20 years of pain lol I feel you

Forza Horizon 4 road events. With the power of tuning and rewind I can still thankfully win on Expert difficulty and get that sweet mulah. 😎

Devil May Cry.

Play every one of them, but suck at every one of them.
Me Too Samesies GIF

It is wierd, because I can hold my own in Ninja Gaiden. I do okay with Trickster style, but I get demolished using every other style.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Chess.
I beat the reigning state champion in a match 30 years ago.
Unfortunately, that was my peak.

Many years ago I was into chess bigtime. At my job there were several pretty strong chess players ranging from 1500-2000 rating. I never bothered to get rated, but I could hang with them. I was likely in the 1500-1600 range.

So much fun. I’m not sure if it’s like riding a bike, as I haven’t played in years. But I’d imagine I could get pretty good again if I devoted time to it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'll be the first to admit that I've played through Trials of Mana remake without as much difficulty as I had expected. However, OG Legend of Mana...1/4 of a century and haven't beaten it =P

Poordevil

Have to say for me, Eldenring. I keep playing it, but all I do is fight and die. Worst part is I never improve. It is just one slaughter fest after another and I am on the loosing end. Game delivers big on defeat and frustration. But I haven't quit. I shouldn't say I never improve, as I progress the game keeps getting that much harder, so it seems like I don't get any better at it.

poodaddy

I play all the open areas solo but any boss I call for help. I will wait for Jesus to return before I leave multiplayer queue.
Lol, I do call in help if I need it, but honestly I've got weird social anxiety about playing multiplayer games online, so I try to do everything alone. I had to call in help for a few bosses though. I don't mind telling ya that Ludwig was simply beyond me on that Bloodborne DLC. I was never gonna beat him man, had to get help. I'm convinced I'll need to do that on Elden Ring as well, though I haven't played it much to be sure yet.

Eimran

Warzone (Serves me right for touching that garbage)

In other multiplayer games I'm above average and always have a K/D-ratio of 1,5 or higher. But yet in that game I lose 4/5 fights.

RaduN

Mushihimesama Futari - Ultra mode
I keep playing, i keep dying and dying...

People that think Souls games are hard, never tried this one.

tylrdiablos

I'm awful at Battlefield 2042 so I'll play against bots as much as possible. Quite pleased that I can still level up and unlock stuff whilst slaughtering bots. (I think the game gives you 60% of the xp you'd get from playing online against human players.)

nemiroff

Gold Member
Good at CoD, but absolutely terrible at playing Apex Legends. Feel like a dead fish out of water in that game.

Edit: I should probably change my answer to "SPELUNKY", because that's the most fun I've had in a game not being good at it, and I still play it from time to time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People that think Souls games are hard, never tried this one.
There are 1000 games out there that are much harder than Souls games because they are not about crushing difficult, they are much more about harshly punishing you for your mistake…..that’s it.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Mortal Kombat 1. It's like the game reads a fraction of my inputs, and so I just fall back to kick, punch, and simple bullshit combos on repeat.

I've realized the series isn't for me but I buy them anyway.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
TLOU Factions. Absolutely trash tier after 200+ matches over the years.
Hitting end rank 3 out of 4 (aka not being the worst on the team) always made me smile.

Schmendrick

League of Legends

Been playing since Beta but never got beyond platin. One of those games where playing is not enough and you`d have to practice to succeed which is not my understanding of "fun", so I don`t.

I already don't finish stuff that I "hate", sucking at something is usually not really likable at all, but I finish stuff which is at least somewhat bearable but I don't think I would go back to those, even less repeatedly.
Stuff that is just super slow and annoys in that way like RDR2 and Yakuza Zero, I play once and I'll think twice about trying anything in those franchises again.
Stuff that wastes my time by being punishing and thus repetitive like Souls with only grindy level up improvement or character class differences, is grounded in a similarly bad design philosophy I just avoid.
Actually good challenging stuff with huge oppurtunity to and ideally well guided improvement is a whole other beast. That is fun and while I might suck at it, as long as I can properly progress and actually improve with little to no pointless wasting of time beyond the very essence of wasting time in playing, everything is fine.

Edmund

Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 7. I get my ass kicked all day but I enjoy it because I have many good friends to play with.

SHA

RPG games, most of the times I got no clue what to do to get through.

Last edited:
Top Bottom