• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best dinosaurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ankylosaurus
ankylosauria_1.jpg

Badass armor

Amalthea

Banned
Here's something for the ankylosaurus lovers, an insanely well preserved fossil (the one they found in a tar sand mine years ago I believe):
pmj3pnH.jpg

Since I was a kid, it has been Deinonychus. I've been to the Yale Peabody museum so many times, but my first was a field trip when I was in 2nd grade and I remember learning about this guy because of John Ostrom and Bob Bakker and their connection to Peabody.

This iconic Bakker illustration is one of my favorites:

But I prefer feathers. I took this pic from a book I own:

In the last few years, I've come to want to know more about Balaur Bondoc, the double clawed raptor:

akira28

I don't care about 'coolest' dinosaurs except to eat them. To hunt and eat them.
And I mean fried or bbq'd, or maybe hickory smoked.

And dried jerky.

Sesha

Giganotosaurus. My bae

He made such an impact in Dino Crisis 2 that Universal has tried to copy the formula, twice. Sadly, he'll probably never show in a Jurassic Park/World movie, ever. :(

And I'll always love T-Rex, Triceratops and Ankylosaurus.

Rutiodon

Rutiodon588.jpg

Just look at how little he's changed the past millions of years.

Like Dimetrodon, not a dinosaur, and far from it.

TheGrue

The ones from when I was a kid in the 70s. None of this feather nonsense. Giant lizards.

Real answer is I love me some Dimetrodon.

How come we call ancient insects, mammals, reptiles and fish by their proper names of ancient [whatever], but ancient birds have their own name, dinosaurs?

Is it just legacy from when we didn't know birds are just evolved dinosaurs?

I just find that not thinking of birds as dinosaurs kind of cheapens bird's amazing history and also makes some kind of romantic fantasy where every dinosaur is gone and there's nothing left but bones which isn't really true at all.

To me, having a neo-dinosaur in a cage on my front porch is way cooler than pretending they're all gone and nothing is left.

Toa TAK

Banned
You know I change my answer. It's all about Iguanadon, before all this silly-ass science came in and corrected everything I knew and loved about it originally. :(

I mean, clearly, we were meant to stop learning about this herbivore at this point in 1853. Everything else that came after (correct anatomy, sharp spike, feeding habits) are such bullshit. Why couldn't they let me just be ignorant and visualize these animals the way I wanted them to be, instead of what they really are?

brb gonna give a feral tiger a hug like Calvin and Hobbes.

Is this the one the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park we're based on? Pretty cool.

I think actual Velociraptors we're the size of chickens. Not so cool.

Yeah, actual velociraptors were the size of turkeys.

When it comes to JP, I'm sure demoncarnotaur or brandon can correct me, but I think Crichton based his description of raptors in the book on deinonychus. Utahraptor was discovered around the same time when JP was is post-production (or release), too.

The raptors in JP are inaccurately huge.

Since I was a kid, it has been Deinonychus. I've been to the Yale Peabody museum so many times, but my first was a field trip when I was in 2nd grade and I remember learning about this guy because of John Ostrom and Bob Bakker and their connection to Peabody.

This iconic Bakker illustration is one of my favorites:

But I prefer feathers. I took this pic from a book I own:

In the last few years, I've come to want to know more about Balaur Bondoc, the double clawed raptor:

Good stuff. I've become more interested in Achillobator because a) what a cool fucking name and b) it's basically the same as raptors in JP

How come we call ancient insects, mammals, reptiles and fish by their proper names of ancient [whatever], but ancient birds have their own name, dinosaurs?

Is it just legacy from when we didn't know birds are just evolved dinosaurs?

I just find that not thinking of birds as dinosaurs kind of cheapens bird's amazing history and also makes some kind of romantic fantasy where every dinosaur is gone and there's nothing left but bones which isn't really true at all.

To me, having a neo-dinosaur in a cage on my front porch is way cooler than pretending they're all gone and nothing is left.

You realize not all dinosaurs were avian or feathered? Team feathers can give it a rest.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
this.

Fuck feathers.

You realize not all dinosaurs were avian or feathered? Team feathers can give it a rest.

It's not just the lack of feathers that's a problem. There's something to be said about attempting to reconstruct an animal based only on its skeletal structure.

Here's an illustrative example:

Look at this badass

Must have been a beast to behold:

Or maybe:

Right?

I'm really surprised to see so many ankylosaurus fans in here. As a child, I always liked the strongest, and the ankylosaurus seemed to be a dinosaur that could beat all others in my imagination. He had cool armor and a hammer tail. I generally thought bipedal dinosaurs looked cooler, but ankylosaurus was my favorite just because I believed he would win in any fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom