• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What formula should the next Dragon Ball fighting game on consoles + PC follow?

Been watching Super, and played some Xenoverse, made me wonder about this.

XENOVERSE formula

• Create-a-character
  • Hub world where you can see other players running around
  • Co-op missions
  • A unique, "new" story mode that's separate from the "canon" of DB to Super
  • Lots of grind based content
  • Mentors
  • Up to 3v3 fights
  • Unique to Xenoverse so far

TENKAICHI formula

• Character costumes, stat customization
  • Menu based (except Infinite World)
  • Focuses on flashier attacks and cutscene attacks
  • Story following the manga closer than the others
  • Lots of "what-if" content
  • 1v1 combat
  • Used in BT 1-3, UT, Raging Blast games

BUDOKAI formula

• Character costumes, stat customization
  • Fly around Dragon World's map (collect Dragon Balls, etc)
  • More traditional 2D fighting with more depth than the other DB games
  • Follows the manga pretty well, but only as a guideline - not as "accurate" as Tenkaichi
  • A small amount of "what-if" content
  • 1v1 combat
  • Used in Budokai 1-3, Burst Limit

SUPERSONIC WARRIORS formula

• Bare minimum character stat customization
  • Fast paced, sprite based
  • Was a unique breed of fighter
  • Story that was all over the place and really didn't do much of anything
  • 1v1 combat

TAIKETSU formula

• Shit
  • Like, really bad
  • I'm glad they never returned to it
  • It was so awful

I'm probably missing quite a bit of smaller things for each of the formulas, but I just roughly outlined what they are... Mostly.

I left out Butoden as that has a new game coming out next week. I also left out non-fighting games, since... Well, they aren't fighting (or 3d brawler, whatever) games.

Peronsally, I'd like to see them return tot the Budokai formula for a proper sequel to Burst Limit, with all the content up to Revival of F.

dragon-ball-z-burst-limit-201.jpg
Just imagine how nice this would look with the horsepower of the current generation of platforms! It's still my favourite art style in a Dragon Ball game to date.

It played great, felt like a proper mechanical sequel to Budokai 3... But we never saw any more from it. It only went up to the Cell saga, got no post launch support, and was ditched promptly for the Raging Blast series.

While I liked Xenoverse for what it was, I ultimately wouldn't care if character creation returned or not again. I'd be fine with a huge roster of pre-existing characters ala Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Hell, put in Dragon Ball Heroes characters in their own "what-if" saga. Let us have them SS3 Vegeta, SS4 Broly, etc.

I'd also honestly like to see all the other formulas adopt the tons of missions from Xenoverse. Even if they're grindy, they add content where content wasn't before.

Could always get a nice remaster of Taiketsu, though!

Anung

Un Rama
I really enjoyed my time with Xenoverse and it feels like with some work they could really improve on that solid foundation. To me though the Budokai series will always be the best DBZ games. So honestly I wouldn't mind seeing the hybridization of Xenoverse and Budokai elements. I'm not sure how that would work though.

Xenoverse wore me out with all the grinding and RTG. Plus, the combat was some MMO crap unlike what I expected of Dimps. I would prefer they start over and recreate Xenoverse except not buttlike.

hamchan

I'd love to see the Xenoverse formula just become more refined. Create-a-character has seemed to make that game more popular than other recent releases.

I'd love to see the Xenoverse formula just become more refined. Create-a-character has seemed to make that game more popular than other recent releases.

I think what sparked Xenoverse's popularity was a PC release (sold ~360k), being the first Dragon Ball game on the newest platforms, and the fact that the games they had been releasing (Battle of Z, Ultimate Tenkaichi, DBZ for Kinect, etc) prior to it for a few years were mediocre at the very best.

Character creation was nice, though. Definitely sold a lot of copies for people.

I want a xenoverse action game. If they made a dbz monster hunter hybrid my brains would be all over the walls.

Could always get a Dragon Ball action game from Platinum :V

after watching a Transformers Devastation vid i say give the IP to Platinum
then we can have sick Universe shattering space battles

budokai would be fun but i see them going back to Xenoverse and trying to refine that which isn't bad, they would need to fix the random ultimate drops and (what i want) do some more what if stuff with the time lines

Xenoverse got close to my love for Boudakai Tenkaichi 2 so I'd say stick with that fighting formula atleast. It did a good job mixing specials into combos and regular attacks and made you feel like you were fighting within the fast paced DB universe.

My dream DB game has always been one that acts a bit like a RPG.

Start out as Kid Goku, travelling the world and getting into trouble with Red Ribbon and meeting young Bulma and all that. As you fight more and more you gain Ki ( or Power Level ) and gain skills you learn from Masters like Roshi and Grandpa Gohan and such like that. You begin training with those skills to strengthen them and get better with them.

You do this as you progress through the main story. Gaining skills, gaining power level / Ki strength ( 100 to 150 and whatnot ), honing your fighting abilities. You are able to walk around the world and travel in 3D ala BT series. You go into the Saiyan saga and get teleported to the Otherworld after the Raditz fight and speed run through the Snake Way portion and all that. If you accidently fall off you are thrust into hell where you have to fight your way out and participate in the " contests " that Goku has to go through. You know, basically putting you in the role of Goku as the story progresses.

Encounters act like RPG's where you see the enemy on screen and when you touch you are thrust into the 3D arena that mimicks the land you were in already.

Keep going all the way through the Buu saga and now into the Super series ala BoG and RoF.

Mixing in unique stories and opportunities to play as other characters at specific time periods. And of course you would have a regular fighting game mode ala Xenoverse / BT to play as whomever you like.

trutrutru

Something that blends xenoverse and burst limit. Something that changes fight modes when close and when far. Kinda the way pokken tournament does. Close combat should be closer to burst limit. At a certain distance it handles like xenoverse.

A far more robust character creator, split screen co-op, and needs to be way less cheap (shoukd have some level of balance)

Shauni

I really enjoyed Xenoverse, but I hated how it became almost unplayable solo as you progressed. I wouldn't mind it continuing, but I hope they find a balance between solo-friendly and multiplayer.

dlauv

After playing Transformers Devastation

Definitely Platinum. The scale of destruction in DBZ is perfect for them. And after the way the gun mechanics in Transformers felt, it's too perfect.

A mix of all the goods from budokai, tenkaichi, and xenoverse

I want the all flash, crazy spectacle, setpiece special moves and all the destruction while keeping a deep combat system and i wanna create a character.

Ill settle for a sequel to burst limit tho

Still mad I can't buy it on Xbox live.

TreIII

As a fighting game fan, I want another Super Dragon Ball Z.

Plus they could call it Super Dragon Ball Super.

This would be my desire, as well.

Besides, ARIKA and Craft&Meister deserve another shot, since I would say the main thing against their game was that it was released in an era where SF-style games weren't back in style and it wasn't "cool" to like DBZ unironically again.

Namikaze

I want it to be more like Raging Blast 2. The basics were easy to learn, but there was a huge gap between the players who knew what they were doing and those that only played casually. Also, the dialogue before battles, banter during battles, transformations, and Ultimate attacks were on point, it was like watching the series at times.

Video of ultimate attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS4_c-65_hw

Xenoverse is really fun and I love the original story/create a character aspects but I hate grinding, especially in a DBZ game.

This would be my desire, as well.

Besides, ARIKA and Craft&Meister deserve another shot, since I would say the main thing against their game was that it was released in an era where SF-style games weren't back in style and it wasn't "cool" to like DBZ unironically again.

Not exactly.

Super Dragon Ball Z wasn't a "DB Simulator" so even given where fighting games were in 2005-06 wouldn't change its fate no matter how much we do, did and still appreciate the game for what it is.

Either run a fully complete Burst Limit or let ASW diversify the next Butoden roster. You can skip me with anything else that isn't that.

Shauni

I've always thought a Smash-esque DBZ game could be fun. I'm surprised we haven't seen more Smash clone attempts over the years.

The Hyper Dragonball Z formula.

Super Dragonball Z is probably the closest to what I want, but I still haven't gotten around to playing it. I'd also like to name Ultimate Butouden someday since I hear that it's the best Dragonball Z game. Too bad it's only in Japanese.

Really?

I think they'll do Xenoverse 2 just because it's most the popular game in a while and they got the systems in place. I suppose they could a Budokai 4 for nostalgia's sake but the name Dragon Ball will carry it regardless of the series. Plus putting a number onto an already existing name doesn't guarantee the game will be good. *cough *cough *THPS 5 *cough

They peaked with Budokai 3 but Tenkaichi 3 was legit though.

I want another Legacy of the Saiyan, they were soooo good

Top Bottom