• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What formula should the next Dragon Ball fighting game on consoles + PC follow?

tbd

Budokai if anything but please drop those one minute long QTE sequences Budokai 3 gave us. Improve the whole system. No need to go crazy and make those weird Tenkaichi style games, those are a mess. I hate Xenoverse with a passion.

And if you implement a story mode, actually make it faithful. I just can't believe that to this day the very first fucking Budokai game still has the best story cutscenes that really get you pumped for the fights.

deleted

Dragonball Z Hyper Dimension would be one way - an RPG or Action Adventure another I'd love to see.

The fighting games are getting stale atm and Dragonball games used to have lots of variety.

I was going to say "I want an open-world, 3D action/adventure game based on Dragon Ball." But it says fighting game. :(

Oh well!

I want to see some super awesome story mode covering the entire story of Dragon Ball, but with an expanded world that you can explore and find new stories and characters not found in the anime/manga. They could also have a fighting game engine for certain battles I suppose. :v

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Peronsally, I'd like to see them return tot the Budokai formula for a proper sequel to Burst Limit, with all the content up to Revival of F.

Just imagine how nice this would look with the horsepower of the current generation of platforms! It's still my favourite art style in a Dragon Ball game to date.

It played great, felt like a proper mechanical sequel to Budokai 3... But we never saw any more from it. It only went up to the Cell saga, got no post launch support, and was ditched promptly for the Raging Blast series.

While I liked Xenoverse for what it was, I ultimately wouldn't care if character creation returned or not again. I'd be fine with a huge roster of pre-existing characters ala Budokai 3 or Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Hell, put in Dragon Ball Heroes characters in their own "what-if" saga. Let us have them SS3 Vegeta, SS4 Broly, etc.

I'd also honestly like to see all the other formulas adopt the tons of missions from Xenoverse. Even if they're grindy, they add content where content wasn't before.
Totally agree with this, except for the bolded. Xenoverse was awful because of how grindy it was. A proper sequel to Burst Limit would be amazing - always felt the Budokai formula felt like it had the most focus and depth to it. Tenkaichi and XV feel too floaty and unfocused.

Walpurgis

Banned
I just want proper environment destruction.

Tenkaichi 4 with 1000 playable characters and Red Faction destruction. Make the stages procedurally generated planets like No Man's Sky and the planets completely destructible. Go from Dragon Ball, cover all of the movies, GT and Super.

I'll never wear clothes again.
underwear-dance.gif

Totally agree with this, except for the bolded. Xenoverse was awful because of how grindy it was. A proper sequel to Burst Limit would be amazing - always felt the Budokai formula felt like it had the most focus and depth to it. Tenkaichi and XV feel too floaty and unfocused.

well, part of the thing i specified was to make sure it would add content where there wasn't content, rather than substituting good content for grindy shit

but yeah, burst limit needs a sequel, fucking scamco

Hyper Dragonball z looks legit. Have that gameplay (or budokai 3 at least) with an expanded yet faithful storyline like in Attack of the Saiyans for DS, and Xenoverse customization.

What I basically wanted:
Raging Blast 2 artstyle, lot of destructions, lock/no lock camera for hiding especially with empty ki, lot of characters and menu based campain with cinematics from the Sayian Arc to Buu Arc with OVAs and Movies. 1 vs 1 and online play.

Thats all I ask. :)

I'd love for it to be Budokai/Burst Limit style. Burst Limit was probably my favourite DBZ game (although I still need to play Budokai 3 so that may change).

Blobbers

I wouldn't mind another Tenkaichi game with world traversal and character unlocking more akin to Tenkaichi 2. Loved fusing into characters.

Piers

Budokai style so beginners find the combos too technical and eSports find it too shit to bother with.

cireza

My favorite "recent" DBZ game is still Burst Limit. Really liked the visuals, and also prefer the Budokai gameplay (over Tenkaichi/more open).

However, the assist from other characters really ruined the pace of the fights.

I haven't bought a DBZ game since Burst Limit lol. Will buy again if Burst Limit 2 or Budokai 4.

What do you mean by menu based for Tenkaichi?

I'd rather see them make more non-fighting games or a Dragonball centered game. The original series doesn't get enough love.

shaowebb

Said it once and I'll say it again...Arcana Heart formula at least once. Its just the only fighting game I've ever played that made me IMMEDIATELY wish for the DBZ franchise as its theme due to the nature of the action and how it looks.

• Homing dash
  • Dash cancels on most moves to allow crazy combos potential
  • Bursts
  • jump cancels
  • Extend Force (xfactor like tool tied to the same meter as cancels and certain moves. What it does depends on an equipped arcana)
  • Equippable sets of tools that give you different passive abilities, damage, health, extend Force abilities, specials, supers, and ultras. I'd just rename them "training disciplines" and let you equip stuff based off of Hyperbolic time chamber training, or Roshi, or King Kai or whatever. These give everything from beams, to hyper armor, to teleports and more.
  • Launchers for air combos that are extremely high on some of the largest stagest in fighting games
  • A roster thats tools were not afraid to incorporate multiple character specific meters and traits.

Just think of stuff like this done with DBZ

lFUR9oE.gif

^That really needs to have its waifus replaced with DBZ in my opinion because it already looks so close to the series' style of action sequences in regular play. It'd be amazing.

Shauni

I was going to say "I want an open-world, 3D action/adventure game based on Dragon Ball." But it says fighting game. :(

Oh well!

I want to see some super awesome story mode covering the entire story of Dragon Ball, but with an expanded world that you can explore and find new stories and characters not found in the anime/manga. They could also have a fighting game engine for certain battles I suppose. :v

I may be mistaken, but I believe there's generally a lot of restriction in regards to creating original characters with DB in the games. Xenoverse and the MMO had original creations, but I'm pretty sure every other game has only stuck to manga and anime characters. I guess one could also say Heroes is an exception, but most of the original creations there are basically new versions of existing characters (SSJ3 Broly and the like).

Give me the first Budokai all over and let it stop at the cell games too. I liked the capsule grinding and the placements. It felt cool going from SS1 to SS2 or KKx10 to 20 to SS1. Also the move combinations as well.

TreIII

Not exactly.

Super Dragon Ball Z wasn't a "DB Simulator" so even given where fighting games were in 2005-06 wouldn't change its fate no matter how much we do, did and still appreciate the game for what it is.

Well, yeah, but that's my argument. SDBZ was the wrong type of game to aim for the DB audience of that time, but it couldn't reel in the fighting game crowd at the time either because few were willing to give DB-branded anything a serious look. (At least in the West; a number of anecdotal reports said the game enjoyed a healthy scene in Japanese arcades.)

Thus, my desire for them to try again. Perhaps it'd fare better in a time and place where fighting game fans may embrace a DBZ game that freely cited some "Street Fighter-isms".

Said it once and I'll say it again...Arcana Heart formula at least once. Its just the only fighting game I've ever played that made me IMMEDIATELY wish for the DBZ franchise as its theme due to the nature of the action and how it looks.

lFUR9oE.gif

^That really needs to have its waifus replaced with DBZ in my opinion because it already looks so close to the series' style of action sequences in regular play. It'd be amazing.

This honestly wouldn't be a bad idea.

But hey, as long as Examu is fine staying in their waifu lane, I guess this type of thing will never happen. Which is sad, because I think the moment Examu dared to try something that may speak to a wider audience, people would see just how awesome their games are. They're easily one of the best fighting game devs on the market.

kunonabi

• Homing dash
  • Dash cancels on most moves to allow crazy combos potential
  • Bursts
  • jump cancels
  • Extend Force (xfactor like tool tied to the same meter as cancels and certain moves. What it does depends on an equipped arcana)
  • Equippable sets of tools that give you different passive abilities, damage, health, extend Force abilities, specials, supers, and ultras. I'd just rename them "training disciplines" and let you equip stuff based off of Hyperbolic time chamber training, or Roshi, or King Kai or whatever. These give everything from beams, to hyper armor, to teleports and more.
  • Launchers for air combos that are extremely high on some of the largest stagest in fighting games
  • A roster thats tools were not afraid to incorporate multiple character specific meters and traits.

Just think of stuff like this done with DBZ

lFUR9oE.gif

I've never been a fan of DBZ as a 2D fighter but this is probably the only way I could see it working well.

shaowebb

This honestly wouldn't be a bad idea.

But hey, as long as Examu is fine staying in their waifu lane, I guess this type of thing will never happen. Which is sad, because I think the moment Examu dared to try something that may speak to a wider audience, people would see just how awesome their games are. They're easily one of the best fighting game devs on the market.

I've never been a fan of DBZ as a 2D fighter but this is probably the only way I could see it working well.

Glad some folks feel the same way I do on this one. It just makes perfect sense. Folks like customization for their favorite DBZ stuff, then set it up like arcana's as training disciplines and use the Arcana Heart heavily aerial combat system that involves those homing dashes and cancels to let folks go nuts. It'd definitely be tourney viable...Arcana proves the formula works for that level of play already.

TreIII

Glad some folks feel the same way I do on this one. It just makes perfect sense. Folks like customization for their favorite DBZ stuff, then set it up like arcana's as training disciplines and use the Arcana Heart heavily aerial combat system that involves those homing dashes and cancels to let folks go nuts. It'd definitely be tourney viable...Arcana proves the formula works for that level of play already.

Of course, now that I think about it?

An even better fit from Examu's stable for a DBZ-style game would likely be Daemon Bride.

Daemon Bride is a game that focuses more on projectile use as a means of zoning, as well as setting traps, while still having plenty of flying around large stage areas. It was almost like a legit "IaMP" for the arcade crowd.

DBZ having its obvious reputation of projectile usage, I think it could be a good fit.

Of course, the fact that we haven't even got a console port of Daemon Bride Additional Gain doesn't paint the best picture of if/when Examu will ever revisit that type of game.

RootCause

I've enjoyed Raging Blast, Tenkaichi, Burst Limit, and Budokai the most.

Would love to see the next one have the same art style as Burst Limit, and have a story mode like in the first Budokai. Prefferbly all the way up to Ressurection F. With tons of characters. As for gameplay, a faster version of Budokai, haven't played one like that in a while.

I actually own this. Shit was great back in the day and way better than Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout.
UB22 was terrible. Can't believe I spent money on that. :(

Honestly, Xenoverse was pretty damn fun and a expanded/updated version of it's current engine would be pretty good. Wouldn't mind a Xenoverse 2 at all if they added a ton of more costumes, moves, skills, ect......though tone down the RNG grind a bit cuz man, grinding missions was annoying after doing a mission dozens of times trying to get a rarer skill, etc. A current gen only version with Ultimate Ninja Storm level visuals would be really nice.

My favorite DBZ game though is none other than Super Dragon Ball Z and I'm glad there's a few posts that mentioned it. Being a SF fan, SDBZ was fun as hell with customizable movesets, skills, colors, etc and it basically played like a more like traditional 2D fighter with a DBZ theme to it compared to the Budokai series which was a DBZ fighter. Though I think that's probably why a lot of people ignored it since it wasn't as flashy as the other DBZ games and some people didn't like how it felt more "complicated" with all the SF inputs in it. Still though, great game with a small but pretty diverse cast(only went up to Cell Saga) that plays different from each other and I consider it a hidden gem among DBZ fighting games.

Also, I would love to see a new DBZ: Legends game again as I remember playing an import version as a kid and it felt like the most DBZ game ever from what I remember. I think it was pretty simple IIRC but man was it fun to watch and an heavily updated version of it would be pretty cool. Closest series to Legends I think was the Supersonic Warrior games on the GBA/DS which were pretty simple but fun also.

From another series and another anime, I think a DBZ game in the Naruto: Gekito Ninja Taisen/Clash of Ninja engine would've been dope as hell back in the GCN/PS2/XBox era. The GNT/CoN series is probably some of the funnest anime fighters around and it sucks that the Naruto series is stuck with the very bland Ultimate Ninja Storm series. A DBZ game in that engine would be very interesting to say the least.

Top Bottom