• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Chastten

Banned
Finally decided to give PC gaming another shot so after finishing Final Fantasy III I decided to boot up Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris, which I recently bought in a Steam sale.

So far, I'm REALLY not feeling this game. The game runs absolutely terrible on my machine, with framerates that go down into the teens, framedrops, pop-in and all kinds of stuttering. It runs much worse than most of my Switch games even though I have a fairly capable machine.

But even besides the performance, combat and movement feel incredibly floaty, and I never really feel like I'm in control of what happens. The story is incredibly dull and all over the place so far and it's presented in the most boring way possible. I don't care about any of the characters and especially Medina is terrible.

Honestly, I just needed this game to be a simple hack 'n slash RPG-lite like Nier Automata with some Sword Art Online anime cutscenes thrown into the mix to make sense of the story. Instead I get a very boring and uninspired visual novel combined with an under-average action game that runs like hot garbage. I'm gonna continue the game in the hopes of it getting better but so far it's the worst game I've played in probably at least 5 years. Or at least the most boring.

Arkane's Prey. Never actually did a 2nd play through so im doing that now. It's been nearly 6 years now... crazy. The game is just incredible, always finding new ways to handle different situations.
The fact that they modeled the whole station from the outside as well and to scale still blows me away. The attention to detail makes Talos 1 feel like a real place. It's Arkane's magnum opus and I doubt we will ever see a game like this from them or anyone else ever again.

Dr. Suchong

tniP09u.gif

Hot Wheels Unleashed on steam deck. Much fun. It's probably going to take 40 hours to get through trying to get all the 1st place and Unleashed times. I ran into one about 40% in I'm a good 4 seconds off on and it's a 2 minute time trial lol

At the Last boss for Vagrant Story.

I'm a bit lost on what to do. I might just item grind and get about 100 to 300 each of HP and Mana items

He's not tough so far but the damage everytime I dish it out i usually just 1 hp

I haven't gotten to the 2nd form yet

Last edited:
I started off hating on it but it’s seriously my favorite Sony game ever now when using the cloud save trick to remove some of that extreme frustration. It’s such a shame it didn’t sell. It’s not fair.

It sold 600k copies at a time when there were around 10 million consoles out there, thats not a bad ratio tbh

Amory

Finishing up Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5). I really enjoyed this one. Just a gorgeous, frustration-free, fun ride from start to finish. Good palate cleanser between longer / more difficult games. Definitely recommended.

Also playing Mafia Definitive Edition (PS4 version, playing on PS5). This was a giveaway on PS plus last month. It's....fine. It's fine. I never played the original versions of these games so this is my first playthrough. I actually appreciate that it's not truly an open world game, and that each mission has its own contained environment and cinematics. It makes the experience feel less dated. The PS4 version runs at 30 fps though, and now that I'm used to PC and PS5, it's just not acceptable to me anymore. I gotta have 60 fps minimum these days. I'll finish it, but I'm glad I got it for free and probably won't bother with Mafia II.

I'm still technically trying to get through Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, but I haven't played in a while and I'm dangerously close to not going back. It hasn't grabbed me and I don't expect it will. But I will probably keep going with it.

Finally I'm getting back into the Phoenix Wright series on DS. I finished my replay of the first game and now I'm into Justice for All, a game I do not enjoy nearly as much as Ace Attorney and even made a thread about 13 years ago to express my dissatisfaction.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Just beat the undead dragon boss and now I'm playing as Rachel.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Just finished episode 2. Some pretty heavy moments, and I didn't expect the ending.

I've also just bought Legend of Dragoon. Looking forward to playing that for the first time later.

Day Valentine GIF

Finished

Vagrant Story (Vita): A-

Total Playtime

44 hours before final boss
65 hours after final boss

I ended up putting the game on pause and putting my Vita to sleep. When I was fully up and had food in me and stuff went back to it

The final boss first form isn't that bad, beat that in 20 mins

His second form is annoying

He has high defense where I dish out 1 to 5 damage with the occasional 10 damage

If I stayed at the edge of the circle and just started using Stat boosting spells he would immediately come and start using Stat Negative effects on me. So when he comes I have magic ward on so his spells wouldn't effect me but it's one use only. So I would attack after his spell deal out 1 to 2 hit combos since I suck at this combo system. After my MP runs out I would have to out of battle mode to wait till the MP fills up to 21 again since that's the MP usage for Magic Ward.

The only time he would attack is if I went to the middle of the circle and stood there, so I stayed on the edge of the circle

The final boss is doable but it took me a long time to beat him. One of the toughest bosses I ever beat

This game makes me so mad 😠 😡 😤🤬
I'm not sure I'm gonna to be playing anything for awhile..

MagnesD3

Day Valentine GIF

Finished

Vagrant Story (Vita): A-

Total Playtime

44 hours before final boss
65 hours after final boss

I ended up putting the game on pause and putting my Vita to sleep. When I was fully up and had food in me and stuff went back to it

The final boss first form isn't that bad, beat that in 20 mins

His second form is annoying

He has high defense where I dish out 1 to 5 damage with the occasional 10 damage

If I stayed at the edge of the circle and just started using Stat boosting spells he would immediately come and start using Stat Negative effects on me. So when he comes I have magic ward on so his spells wouldn't effect me but it's one use only. So I would attack after his spell deal out 1 to 2 hit combos since I suck at this combo system. After my MP runs out I would have to out of battle mode to wait till the MP fills up to 21 again since that's the MP usage for Magic Ward.

The only time he would attack is if I went to the middle of the circle and stood there, so I stayed on the edge of the circle

The final boss is doable but it took me a long time to beat him. One of the toughest bosses I ever beat

This game makes me so mad 😠 😡 😤🤬
I'm not sure I'm gonna to be playing anything for awhile..
Really want to play that game eventually, tried to start it years ago and was super interesting but found out it had an intricate combat system that I would need to read a faq on to get so I held off.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Platinumed Hogwart’s Legacy, loved it despite a lot of issues. Main story was kinda whatever, thought one of the side story arcs stole the show.

Now playing Scarlet Nexus. It’s alright so far. Need to finish it before Jedi Survivor ships.

SCB3

Bioshock Infinite - First time playing, 3 hours in on Normal, pretty good so far, LTTP Thread Here:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - My GotY in 2019 when it came out, now replaying on Steam Deck on NG+ and its still so good, replaying on Easy to get a refresh on the story ready for the sequel in a few weeks

Death Stranding - Finished off my Directors Cut playthrough, again on Steam Deck, more fun the second time around, though that 90 min cutscene at the end killed my Deck's battery

Aside from these, carrying on with my Skyrim save, Vampire Survivors and checking out Brotato, I may do RE5 again on Steam deck by the end of the month as well, May is the big month so catching up on my backlog, especially on DLC I skipped has been fun

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
In the process of shifting my installs to other drives, since I got a new 2TB M2 stick. Also installing loads of games since I’ve got entire drives dedicated to one or two PC launchers each now.

So I’m farting around a lot.

Last of Us: Got it set to 100fps 1440p High settings and it doesn’t budge. Frametimes are great, but fuck me I keep getting like one second pauses when playing. Damnit Naughty Dog, I just don’t get it. I was getting a feeling of nausea even with the frequent pausing - I had to stop playing. Good thing this was free as I’ll never buy a PC game handled by them.

Grid Legends: Got this for free and never fired it up until yesterday. Aside from being a nice looking racer, I was just humbled at how well it ran for me. Like I had to pinch myself that this thing was a rock solid 165fps.

Lego Journey: This reminded me of Monument Valley with the way you progress. Fun little game that’s absolutely beautiful.

Crackdown 3: I play this to earn my Microsoft Rewards. At this point I’m just orb hunting, but my God is movement just so enjoyable. That an a sense of height when you’re making those play forming jumps to reach very high areas. It still gives the butterflies like no other game.

Shifty1897

I'm a bit lost on what to do. I might just item grind and get about 100 to 300 each of HP and Mana items

He's not tough so far but the damage everytime I dish it out i usually just 1 hp

Yeah, basically you do very little damage to the last boss. I just chained attacks to a super high risk and then popped whatever Risk Down items I had. Took forever and basically went through every item I had.

Really want to play that game eventually, tried to start it years ago and was super interesting but found out it had an intricate combat system that I would need to read a faq on to get so I held off.

This game is Tough even with a guide

Yeah, basically you do very little damage to the last boss. I just chained attacks to a super high risk and then popped whatever Risk Down items I had. Took forever and basically went through every item I had.

For me, I sucked at the combo system in this game. The best I could do is 2 hit combos. The final boss second form turned into a battle of attrition

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I’ve skimmed GameFAQs for the best deep dive of the game. Did you seek out any strategy going into the game? I’ve seen some players keep a weapon of every type just because the game has a very complex battle system. I’ve thought about starting the game again on Vita.

I’ve skimmed GameFAQs for the best deep dive of the game. Did you seek out any strategy going into the game? I’ve seen some players keep a weapon of every type just because the game has a very complex battle system. I’ve thought about starting the game again on Vita.

Yeah I used a guide

This guide specifically

Highly recommend it

The game is fantastic in other aspects but the gameplay can get frustrating

Feel like I'm getting towards the end of Persona 3 Portable now. Well, I'm around the middle of November and I know it goes to January at least.

I'm ~40 hours in and just got the 7th old document. Maxed out my social stats (that was too easy) and have a few maxed out social links. Fortune link has appeared (I hate him). I really want to start the Mitsuru and Aigis links.

I know I've been trying to play it for while now and I still have plenty of time left but I want to finish it before Zelda comes out. I can only play for 1-2 hours at a time and I can go days without playing. Nothing against the game....well Tartarus is tedious. I've started splitting up on new floors to quickly find the stairs to reach the bosses and get to the return point that saves progress. I can't be bothered fighting every shadow I see anymore.

AndrewRyan

Playing the Twilight Zone pinball table on pinball fx. Used to play in RL but was too expensive to get good so it's fun actually getting to know it. Watched all episodes many times so appreciate all the great references.

Shifty1897

Still working on Fire Emblem: Engage, Hard/Classic, still haven't lost a unit but there's been a lot of rewinds and retries.

Most of the soundtrack is meh, but the Preparation screen and the Solm battle theme are both bangers:

Last edited:
The Evil Within
Red Faction Guerrilla
Bioshock Infinite

Are the main 3 I'm playing as of now, especially impressed with Red Faction Guerrilla! Playing it for the first time finally, been eyeing this since before it's release...the destruction gameplay is chef's kiss. Story and controls of the game are great as well

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Killer7, Paranormasight, Dread Delusion, and World of Horror. Playing them all on my Steam Deck until Advance Wars Re-boot camp and Jedi Survivor come out. Killer7 is all the crazy I remember it was.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link. I play this game from time to time. I think it's the most underrated Zelda game and it saddens me, that Nintendo rarely acknowledge its existence. Shigeru Miyamoto once called Zelda 2 a failure and that made me so angry. He should be proud of this game, not mock it. The game is so much fun. Challenging. Has cool bosses. Introduces interesting mechanics, such as xp and magic. Towns and npcs. Nintendo should remake this game, like they did with Links Awakening. The 2D gameplay would look sick on the Switch if they properly remade it with today's technology.

I often compare this game to Dark Souls 2, another black sheep I love. It was a game that deviated from the original, took risks and ultimately became the odd man out. Since the Souls- franchise is full of beloved and highly favored installments, DS2 will never get appreciated by the fans for what it brought to the table (even if I'm happy From Software revisited much from the game in Elden Ring). It will always be seen as the "bad" game when compared to the others. Just like Zelda 2. If anyone's bringing up a discussion of old school Zelda, it's always either the original or A Link to the Past. And it pisses me off, because Zelda 2 is better than those games (at least it's better than the original) just like Dark Souls 2 is the best of the Dark Souls - trilogy.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Played Loop Hero today, thought I would give it a quick spin but ended up playing for 3 hours.
It’s the weirdest thing. Kind of a RPG roguelike I guess, where your hero walk by itself around a circular dungeon and even attack by itself too, while you plan ahead and place out area of effect blocks that will affect the outcome on enemy spawn and loot each new day, day-based not turn-based lol, then you manage the equipped gear and collect supplies for building a settlement of sorts. Anybody with Gamepass need to try it. Probably the most unique game I’ve played since Loot River.

reksveks

Played Loop Hero today, thought I would give it a quick spin but ended up playing for 3 hours.
It’s the weirdest thing. Kind of a RPG roguelike I guess, where your hero walk by itself around a circular dungeon and even attack by itself too, while you plan ahead and place out area of effect blocks that will affect the outcome on enemy spawn and loot each new day, day-based not turn-based lol, then you manage the equipped gear and collect supplies for building a settlement of sorts. Anybody with Gamepass need to try it. Probably the most unique game I’ve played since Loot River.
Loop Hero is great. I do love the tension between going for another loop or running away with your resources. I think I have spent 20 hrs on it since it came to console GP.

Fredrik

Loop Hero is great. I do love the tension between going for another loop or running away with your resources. I think I have spent 20 hrs on it since it came to console GP.
Yeah I was so nervous when that dragon like creature first flew onto the map. Instantly bailed out to the camp to save my supplies lol. Turned out to be an easy fight but you never know and that’s how the whole game feels. I like it a lot. 👍

sedg87

Banned
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
I love the Onimusha games and fancied playing through the first one again, but then I remembered that I have never played Dawn of Dreams. I'm only on Stage 5 but I'm absolutely loving it so far. Really hope Capcom bring this series back in the future.

Markio128

I’m currently playing NMS in VR. The visuals still aren’t what they could be even after a couple of patches (they have gone from eww to okay, this isn’t too bad), but I’m really enjoying my time with it.

Also playing Resi 4 remake. Just got to the castle and had my head eaten.

Other than that, the usual plethora of VR titles, most notably GT7 and Synth Riders.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Bouncing between games, testing various FSR settings on my Steam Deck while docked. Mostly Dead Space (I guess it's remastered or something?) and Days Gone, but also some other games I missed from last gen and the PS360 days.

About halfway through Dreams in the Witch House as well.

Edit: this Dead Space remake is amazing. I've never found myself addicted to a horror game before this is fun as hell

Last edited:
Top Bottom