• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Yumi

Beat Wo Long new game plus, and moved on to Strangers of Paradise. The fast paced, kinetic, action combat in Team Ninja games is really working for me right now.

Ni No Kuni with my daughter has been enjoyable. Mostly because of her getting into it and naming the familiars. The art direction is stunning, but it sure is slow paced. All the characters are kind of idiots and treat the player like idiots, to the point of which my 5 year old is saying “why are they saying the same thing over and over, we get it!” Haha.

Divinity Original Sin 2 once a week with my best friend. It’s will take us forever to get through it but it’s a blast every second. They blew tactical turn based combat and class/skill restrictions wide open. It’s amazing the variety of choice you have in combat. The setting and story are fine so far, and the humor is pretty good in a goofy way.

Played an hour of Skyrim tonight, no idea why, but that game is still surprising engaging. The setting, music, and atmosphere does a lot for me. Then some weird gameplay shit/glitch happens and I think that’s the Bethesda “magic” if such a thing exists.

Advance Wars. Definitely still fun.

The visuals are very uneven. The animated 3d character models giving the dialogue look sick as fuck. The battle shots look very dull. Colors are muted on the map.

Still pretty good though.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished Callisto Protocol yesterday and yeah, it was alright after all. Far from being perfect but I found some liking to it in the later parts of the game. Would rate it 7/10. Solid AA game.

Now I jumped into the Dead Space Remake. Holy moly, I thought this was more like a Remaster but they really did some work here. Sorta reminds me of the original RE Remake, only that it doesn’t look that much better than the original. I know Dead Space in my sleep and am surprised to see how much they changed/expanded it. Very nice. Loving it!

Isa

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: For me, the best game of all time!
Nice, I love Sonic 2-Knuckles so much. I've recently been casually trying to replay them but man after so many years I've gotten so bad at them lol. Its crazy how much easier and forgiving modern games are.

I haven't had too much time to play lately but I've been slowly making my way through Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse and going for as many of the collectables and photos as I can get. Also just enjoying piecing together the story. I love these games and its great to be able to experience them on newer hardware, I just wish other companies would follow their lead and put out other classics for old and new fans to enjoy. I so want to play Haunting Ground, Koudelka and other revered classics.

It's getting kinda harder finding motivation to play anything, the closer TotK gets. :(

In the meantime, I've been playing Gunfire Reborn with some friends; they were all level 130+ already so I was mostly getting carried at first, a bit less now. Pretty good multiplayer roguelike, although it makes me wish we hadn't stopped playing Risk of Rain 2.

Roberts

Mostly playing Loop Hero and Ghostwire: Tokyo atm.

I consider quitting Loop Hero every time I feel like I am not progressing, but I always get back to it. Weirdly addictive. Got the majority of achievements and almost, almost killed the third boss.

Have played G:T for probably around 6-8 hours and enjoying it a lot. Right now, I'm pretty much playing it as a linear game focusing on the main quest, not diverting too much and it works really well for this one. The gameplay mechanics are not really trying to reinvent the wheel and everything feels familiar, but I am having loads of fun playing a mixture of stealth and face to face ghost slapping. Never particularly scary, but entertainingly creepy. Wish the performance was better on XSX (playing perf mode).

Oh, and me and my daughter completed It Takes Two. I basically witnessed how in the span of 15 hours, she grew from a kid who had to look at the controller to find the right button into a gamer who didn't require my assistance at all. Fares is one smart motherfucker. Anyway, a great love letter to gaming.

I Finished

Star Ocean The Divine Force: A (Steam)

Total Playtime: 43:45 hours

I'm eventually gonna to go back and play the extra stuff and max out my levels. Also get the best weapons, equipment, and accessories from item creation. Finish all the sidequests

Next games I'm gonna be playing next

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed (Switch)

Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (Steam)

Star Wars Jedi Survivor (Steam)

Resident Evil Village (Steam)

Last edited:
Stuck on Persona 3 Portable.

At the final boss in Tartarus. Not Nyx but Jotun. I can't do anything to him. He absorbs/blocks everything! I need pierce/almighty damage but only ones I have that do that are Ken and Yukari. Got no Almighty skills.

I've turned it down to Beginner difficulty :messenger_tears_of_joy: and still nothing happening.

There's always one boss in these games that fuck you up and force you to play a certain way. If I can figure out how to beat him I'm going to need to quit. It doesn't help you have very little choice over which attacks your persona can use. This latest area has only given me a couple new Persona and I can't even fuse them into anything better.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 6 pixel remaster on Switch. So far it's a great port, with small QoL changes that are subtle, but makes a world of difference. Excellent sprite work, particular during battles and when you're casting magic. The reworked music sounds amazing, while staying true to its roots. Last time I played FF6 was on PS1, and while it was a solid port I couldn't finish it due to the obnoxious load times. This remaster seems like the definitive version. It stays close to the original SNES game while touching the graphics up with 2D HD and new music by Uematsu himself. It also feels more authentic playing this classic on a Nintendo console again 😎

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 6 pixel remaster on Switch. So far it's a great port, with small QoL changes that are subtle, but makes a world of difference. Excellent sprite work, particular during battles and when you're casting magic. The reworked music sounds amazing, while staying true to its roots. Last time I played FF6 was on PS1, and while it was a solid port I couldn't finish it due to the obnoxious load times. This remaster seems like the definitive version. It stays close to the original SNES game while touching the graphics up with 2D HD and new music by Uematsu himself. It also feels more authentic playing this classic on a Nintendo console again 😎
Making me want to get this. Sounds great.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Arrived at the Veldt in FF6. Picked up that Gau runt and headed for Narshe with Sabin and Cyan. This remaster is excellent so far. The more I played, the more I can see is changed. Mostly all for the better. UI is greatly improved and more intuitive. Thank the stars you can switch the font to classic because the modern one sucks ass. Graphics are reworked, I love the sprite work in characters and towns and dungeons, but the overworld is somewhat meh, with too much bright colors compared to the original. Tilework looks shit too.

Translation has been altered and improved quite heavily compared to the original. I actually had to pull out my old FF6 copy and play a couple of hours and see how it was, but yeah, the story fares much better now and is more nuanced and not so corny, with better dialogue between characters. It's actually quite good, and deals with a lot of heavy shit. Kefka is such an insane villain. Much darker and more evil than anything I've seen in this franchise. He totally backs up his infamous reputation he gained over the years.

I would like if SE had an option to turn off auto save so you could get the game closer to the original feel. Now you have quicksave and autosave on top of the original saving system. It's just overkill. I've also encountered a few audio glitches and weird slowdowns so SE needs to do some patchworks. But it's just minor complaints. Been having great fun so far replaying this classic.

Last edited:
Finally finished Persona 3 Portable! That last boss (Nyx) was a nightmare. I was playing on beginner difficulty and had to retry countless times after dying :messenger_grinning_smiling: I don't know how in the actual hell you're meant to beat it on higher difficulties without some serious grinding and having a load of healing items.

I am now going to try watch the movies of Persona 3 or I will just watch the ending cutscenes of FES on YouTube. I didn't really mind the lack of cutscenes/animations and while the ending has more animations than the rest of the game put together I still feel like it let it down. The game was so much fun. At first I wasn't sure of it and almost quit but I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm hoping and praying that the rumors of a Persona 3 Remake are true. The game truly deserves it.

Currently downloading Persona 4 Golden on my Switch. I played a few hours of it on Vita years ago and I have saw Persona 4 The Golden animation so I kinda know what happens. It's been a while so I don't remember everything. I've been wanting to play it again ever since I sold my Vita and now I am finally about to do it. I did buy the game on Steam when it came out but was busy playing other stuff.

Have also bought Nier Automata to replay it.. So that and Persona 4 is what I'll be playing until Zelda comes out.

Last edited:

WoJ

Finally finished Persona 3 Portable! That last boss (Nyx) was a nightmare. I was playing on beginner difficulty and had to retry countless times after dying :messenger_grinning_smiling: I don't know how in the actual hell you're meant to beat it on higher difficulties without some serious grinding and having a load of healing items.

I played P3 FES on normal difficulty and gave up after losing to Nyx probably 30 times. It's one of the few games I never finished. I wasn't massively under leveled, in fact I was probably appropriately leveled. I was just fed up.

I am wrapping up my Crisis Core platinum run. I just need to finish the game on hard mode to get the Platinum.

I'm wrapping up my Dead Space Remake NG+ playthrough as well. I may do some digging around the Ishimura to get all the upgrades and I have one more marker fragment to find to get the hidden ending.

After wrapping these two up I may dig into another ME1 playthrough or Final Fantasy 15, which I've never played. Haven't decided yet.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Gone back to this despite the stuttering issues I'm having. I'm on stage 11 and have recently unlocked quite a few fantastic abilities. There are so many weapons and stuff to get which I actually like. Just about to tackle the dark realm for the first time.

I played P3 FES on normal difficulty and gave up after losing to Nyx probably 30 times. It's one of the few games I never finished. I wasn't massively under leveled, in fact I was probably appropriately leveled. I was just fed up.

I am wrapping up my Crisis Core platinum run. I just need to finish the game on hard mode to get the Platinum.

I'm wrapping up my Dead Space Remake NG+ playthrough as well. I may do some digging around the Ishimura to get all the upgrades and I have one more marker fragment to find to get the hidden ending.

After wrapping these two up I may dig into another ME1 playthrough or Final Fantasy 15, which I've never played. Haven't decided yet.
I actually started playing FES first. I got about 7 hours in and was dying all the time. As I couldn't change the difficulty without starting over I decided to play Portable. I couldn't imagine fighting Nyx in FES :messenger_fearful: no thanks!! If I do a play through of FES it'll be on the easiest difficulty! lol

TronNerd82

Hexen: Beyond Heretic. It's a hell of a challenge, but very satisfying to beat. Word of advice: don't go into it without a walkthrough or a guide, the game will knock you on your ass if you do. Regardless, it's Doom-era FPS bliss and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just watched the credits roll on Persona 5 Royal. What a game! My playthrough clocked in at 101.3 hours. It could have been a lot more, but I didn't do much of any grinding, just enjoyed the ride. I ended with only 3 companions maxed, wish it had been all of them.

I'm going to take a Persona break for a bit, as I'm also working on Trails in the Sky SC right now, but after that one I'm on to Persona 4 Golden!

Animal Crossing New Horizons. I've finally got a solid list of villagers on my island. The game has been my creative outlet as of late. I'm just doing this and that and fixing up the island.

My villagers: [Carmen, Fuchsia, Fauna] - original villagers to start my island, [Sherb, Wolfgang, Lopez, Filbert, Poppy] - all from random island tours, [Judy and Bob] - from amiibo cards (I actually had Judy show up in my campsite once and then didn't realize she would disappear if I saved the game and came back... But overall it's been glorious.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Been pecking away at a professional run on RE4:Remake. I also fired up Sackboy: A Big Adventure and cleared the first world. It is a surprisingly fun platformer.

AmuroChan

Replaying Trails of Cold Steel IV after finishing Trails to Azure. Love all the additional context and easter eggs that I missed the first time I played CSIV.

MagnesD3

Dragon Age Origins and Captain Toad currently, about to add Perfect Dark and Evil Within into the rotation.

Captain Toad is good but only doable in small bursts and Dragon Age while fun it's inventory system is annoying as hell so I can only play a couple hours at a time before getting tired of it.

Last edited:

Nydius

Noticed Soundfall was on deep sale ($8.99 for PS Plus members) and remembered I had been meaning to pick that up. Bought it and have been playing it since. It's not particularly groundbreaking but I really enjoy it.

daveonezero

Banned
Gosh I’m lik 80+. Hours into Xenoblade DE and while I like it and enjoyed it this last few hours I’m just ready to be done and move into XB2.

The story ramp up was pretty crazy but not much has changed gameplay wise. Just running with the Same party and tactics for a while now and no real interest in doing any more side quests and probably won’t do ng+ because I just want to play the add on and then the sequels.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Kid Icarus. This is one of my childhood games I'm very fond of. This was the second game I ever played, my first being Super Mario Bros, and I was over the moon when my parents gifted it to me on Christmas Eve 1988, when I was only 7 years old. I played this sucker almost everyday after school and found it to be incredibly difficult at first. It was different from SMB, which I had mastered previously, and featured levels that scrolled upwards instead of sideways. The focus on platforming, and the cheap deaths that followed, was the biggest hurdle at first. It took weeks for me to get past the first world. This made Kid Icarus feel like a very long and arduous game, but it's like 1 hour long if you know what you're doing. Maybe 3 hours with mistakes and some backtracking in the castles.

Anyway, I didn't gave up on the game despite its difficulty. I was very determined at beating my games and getting full value of it. My parents were poor and games were so expensive back in the day so I didn't want to complain about the games I got. I remember the castles being so confusing, even with the maps, that I started drawing my own, a technique that became very handy when I got Metroid a couple of years later. I also remember that I didn't fully understand the password system in the beginning. It was just some random numbers that popped up after you died and I didn't really pay attention to it. Which, of course, made the game pretty hardcore.

The game was also confusing, with items I didn't know what they did, or the rooms with the trials that I kept dying on. I had to learn about all that shit by myself. It was pain and suffering, but damn, the feeling when I finally bested this game months after I got it. Euphoria. Imagine spending like six months, almost everyday with Kid Icarus today. You would go nuts. But when you were a kid, that shit didn't matter. I thought it was the best game ever. It rocked my world.

Last edited:
cf57ae377e478a808ab6a1f8707d96d744280cc1.gifv

Tormented Souls (PS4)

This really nails the old school Resident Evil vibe it's going for. With some Silent Hill vibes mixed in. Puzzles are pretty tricky at times but I'm highly digging the environments and atmosphere this game has.

Robb

Gold Member
Playing some Ghostwire Tokyo.

I’m also doing another run through BotW in Master Mode to get a reminder of all the locations. I won’t be able to finish before TotK though, I think.

Last edited:
Persona 4

Only just over an hour into it after finishing Persona 3 yesterday. I'm not going into it blind like I did with Persona 3. I've tried getting into Persona 4 a couple times. Once on Vita and again on Steam but each time I never played anymore than an hour. It's not that I didn't enjoy it but just had other things to play and didn't feel like committing 70+ hours at the time.

I've also watched the TV animation so as I play things will come back to me but of course there is a different from a tv show and a 70-80+ hour game. I want to get the full experience.

That all said, I'm feeling kinda torn right now. Compared to P3P it's great to have actual 3D scenes/environments and character models/animations. The setting feels cozy but mysterious and I'm really interested in the story and characters. But I am really missing the dark creepy vibe of P3 and I grew attached to the characters.

As I play I'm sure I'll be fine! I actually remember after finishing the TV show before playing P5 that I missed the P4 cast and I didn't see how the cast of P5 could be as good as them. It just shows how good all the characters are and how you start to care about them.

I know it's an old game and I am happy it's got a 3D world but it looks rough! It doesn't help that a lot of the UI is dark and muddy. There of course is the bright yellow but the text boxes are brown and dull.

Anyway, I'm excited to finally really get into the game. I'm looking forward to seeing how the combat is it in and what the replacement for Tartarus/Metaverse is. I know it's this TV station place but I mean I don't know if it has dungeons like Persona 5 that you need to complete or if it's more like Tartarus where you climb the floors, fight bosses, and reach the barrier.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Picked up AfterImage a new metroidvania. So far it’s decent, but some things I don’t like about it. The map isn’t really helpful in this, which is crucial for a metroidvania. There’s next to no iconic on the map to point things out and to give you direction. It needs more detail it would be really helpful. The gameplay is solid though and I love the art direction.

Top Bottom