• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming camp do you fall into?

If you were forced to pick a side, which camp would you choose?

• Conservative - Sequels, refining established formulas, stay close to genre norms...

• Progressive - New IP, risk taking design, new gameplay mechanics...

Results are only viewable after voting.

junguler

Banned
like most people i used to be a progressive when i was younger and slowly turned conservative as i got older, gaming is just a part of that.

I like refinment if it is actually an evolution, which is lacking today imo.

Like for example im still waiting for the GTA with amazing animations that also has jacked filled streets and pedestrians close to real life with amazing A.I., and mechanics that allow alot of creative expression and options.

(Although i actually think R* is actually doing a decent job progressing their titles, so i have more faith tbis may one day happen)

I believe you can be progressive within a refined formula. For example when half life 2 first came out with a demonstration, THAT felt like true progression within a refined formula, a leap in gaming. We dont see that as much today. From software as much as I like them, dont create that in gaming. Which is why im hesitant to give them as much love as people do, and they are seen as basically the #1 dev right now, that scares me tbh.

Im still waiting for the elder scrolls with gameplay like an Arkane game (think an evolved dark messiah, which was in 2007 btw) with creative hand written quests. And packed cities.

Instead im guessing we wont get that, and will get more procedural quests, and better graphics with a similar combat system with a similar amount of NPC's, and similar A.I. because skyrim was a success.

FEAR was in 2005, in my mind every single FPS released today should have better A.I. than FEAR.

But we arent there, business makes these things unnecessary, and in my opinion, games have stagnated quite a bit in comparison to where things should probably be.

Indie titles unfortunately dont have the resources to make that leap. So they tend to be more so cute ideas, than a evolution.

Holammer

The options are pretty broad so a choice between Sequels or New IP specifically would have made for a better discussion.

CloudNull

Banned
Two words:

bloodborne II
Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

Progressive. I am tired of established series and sequels. I want new expirences that have never been done before. I feel like I’ve played it all so when I find something different it really strikes a nerve.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
@OP, in your gifs, what exactly is new or innovative about that game? Shooting things to open gates? platforming?
It looks about as safe as you can get.

I like both. because I want to play good games regardless.
e.g: TLOU2, DMC5, as amazing sequels, and Returnal, Death Stranding, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima as new IPs.
games generally improve in the sequel, which is why it's fun to see devs have a second crack at a game.

Last edited:
There's a special place in hell for the people who respond to a hypothetical by not agreeing to the concept of said hypothetical. Right next to Ted Bundy.

"If you were forced to choose..."

"Both" was not given as an option for a reason.

I'm definitely voting for your option with Ratchet and Clank. The game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Thank you for pointing out how much potential the game has. I really appreciate it.

I feel like most people are in neither of those camps, even if they say/think they are. People generally want new IP's to replace the franchises they don't like or are tired of, and they want the franchises/games they love to get sequels. I probably lean towards sequels a bit because the first games are rarely the best games in any video game series, but it's a very slight lean as both sequels and new IP are great

I feel like most people are in neither of those camps, even if they say/think they are. People generally want new IP's to replace the franchises they don't like or are tired of, and they want the franchises/games they love to get sequels. I probably lean towards sequels a bit because the first games are rarely the best games in any video game series, but it's a very slight lean as both sequels and new IP are great

Pretty much and you can have innovation with old IPs instead of just with new ones. Ratchet seems to be doing some innovative things and it's an IP that's been around since the PS2 days.

BigBooper

I tend to prefer minor tweaks to existing gameplay styles. New mechanics and genres can be great. 99% of them aren't.

For all those answering conservative, you do realize that the things you love could not have arisen without the "progressive" mentality, right?

I love both. There's a place for the familiar and a place for experimentation.

Banned
both?

a game is either good or not, a progressive game can be the worst piece of shit ever, a conservative one can be absolutely genius and vise versa.

it is of course always a big bonus if a game is good AND tries something new

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
I guess progressive...

I'm pretty tired of constant sequels and the fans who always hold back series.

The constant need for explanation, prequel requests, the same lead to return, adherence to lore, or canon annoy me about game fans.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This doesn’t feel like something we need to choose between. I want and appreciate both.

I don't fall into either camp. There is a need and plenty of room for both approaches in this industry, assuming the developers have what it takes.
Not sure why it's being framed as an either-or issue.
Exactly.

Not even sure what the OP is asking.

teezzy

Banned
Conservative af

I'm 30 years old and crabby. Give me Tekken, Soul Calibur, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, NHL, Devil May Cry... and leave me alone

teezzy

Banned
For all those answering conservative, you do realize that the things you love could not have arisen without the "progressive" mentality, right?

I love both. There's a place for the familiar and a place for experimentation.

That's not the question at hand though 🤔

We're being asked what we currently enjoy playing. I'm fairly set in my ways at this point. Not much new excites me. I don't think I'm alone in that ostensibly curmudgeonly viewpoint either. The old and familiar is my comfort food. Gaming is a way for me to wind down and relax... I can't be bothered with "the next big thing"

abe-simpson.gif

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
A mix of both, but if I could choose only one it'll be progressive of course. Because realistically, how many sequels do you really need/want? Most series start to seriously decline after 3rd installment, the devs put everything they got, all their creativity into the initial installment of every new IP, sometimes they improve even further on the sequel, but after 3rd game it's basically just milking a franchise until it's dead.

SpokkX

Definately progressive

i want NEW ideas not just the same game with new graphics

i want more risks like Mario Galaxy than I want another safe Ratchet

tvdaXD

I am in both camps, although I think I prefer newer experiences more. I can't wait what the future brings in VR.

Three

I like new gameplay designs and fun games even if they are not new. That bottom gif you posted doesn't seem all that new gameplay wise. Just seems like a game I haven't heard (It's it takes two? ) of but with gameplay mechanics that are in other games. I don't want an unknown IP for the sake of an unknown IP. I'm more than happy with new ideas and gameplay mechanics with known IPs like Mario usually does.

Last edited:
That's not the question at hand though 🤔

We're being asked what we currently enjoy playing. I'm fairly set in my ways at this point. Not much new excites me. I don't think I'm alone in that ostensibly curmudgeonly viewpoint either. The old and familiar is my comfort food. Gaming is a way for me to wind down and relax... I can't be bothered with "the next big thing"
Yeah, I understand. I was just looking at the question a little differently. But I like both comfort food and the exotic, so I'm good. :)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hard to say. I like innovation but want it to be limited in certain series.

I think Ratchet & Clank, modern Resident Evil, and Dragon Quest are great examples of including new mechanics but also retaining what made the games special in the first place.

Fbh

Both?
Not sure why anyone would be hardcore into one or the other.

I like big sequels with high production values that further polish and improve a franchise I enjoy. At the same time I also love new IP's and innovative games.

With that said, as much as I like a good sequel I don't like it when devs get stuck making too many sequels. After 3 or 4 games I generally enjoy seeing a dev tackle some new IP. For example, it was disappointing seeing a studio like Naughty Dog spend the entire last gen working on sequels when up to that point they had always released a new IP with each new gen. The exception is franchises like Final Fantasy which allow each sequel to basically tell a completely unrelated story, in an unrelated world with enough flexibility to really change up the gameplay and tone in between games.

Last edited:

NahaNago

No idea on this one. I could go the both route. I tend to be the type who if I like the way a game looks I'll try it but I also pay a lot of attention to sequels that come out.

Top Bottom