• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if PS5 is announced through SOP?

redfirm

Banned
So, as we move closer to next gen, PlayStation has decided to choose exclusive news outlets and SOP to announce things. How would you react if they announce the PS5 Through a web only show instead of an event like they have in the past??

It could explain why nothing is leaking and why there is no news.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So, as we move closer to next gen, PlayStation has decided to choose exclusive news outlets and SOP to announce things. How would you react if they announce the PS5 Through a web only show instead of an event like they have in the past??

I'd be PISSED.

State of Play has ZERO pomp and circumstance. The unveiling of the PS5 should be a celebration. It's kind of the problem I had with how the XSX was revealed. It was jarring and awkward to do it during the awards show. I had to get revved up to get excited about it, instead of my usual waiting with hot anticipation and drool falling out the side of my mouth. It needs to be an event. I'm sick of people saying "well, it's better for the business to do it this way, myahhh". Fuck the business. I wanna see a show.

Maine84

It would save them alot of money doing it like that. I wouldn't mind. As long as the video presentation is at least 30-45mins long

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
They don’t have to “announce” it at all and it’ll still sell 100m. That’s how strong the brand is at the moment.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m fine with it. The information means more to me than anything.

If the coronavirus ends up impacting this in some way, I’d rather take a video presentation, than an unbearable delay.

With proper creativity, and a really enjoyable show covering all sorts of angles, a video unveiling could be fantastic.

...Honestly, I’ve never been a fan of execs all pacing side to side, making the same neutral gestures, and speaking in the most generic, careful way, either. Almost as if they roll off an assembly line. It wouldn’t be a tragedy to not have to view that for two hours.

Wonko_C

Honestly? They should. I just care about the info delivered in a way it wastes the least time possible. IDGAF about presentations to a live audience with longwinded conferences, I'm immune to hype from events such as E3, TGS, Gamescom, etc.

A surprise Super Bowl ad seems pretty likely. PlayStation is the type of brand that can pull off a reveal trailer like the Xbox Series X. Have a cool trailer showing off the system and shit and at the end just plaster the event date for February 29th.

yurinka

Both for them and for us is better to have a recorded video than to make a live reveal: avoid consoles crashing, people speaking in a weird way, cameras not focusing in what is important, awkard executives who don't know how to talk in public or don't speak English properly, the video quality would be better, etc.

I think they should made a great 1 hour long State of Play video just to reveal the console:
-Video of a family playing the console while they explain the concept behind the console and its main features (improved and refocused PS Now, Remote Play, Cross Buy, Cross Play, Cross Save, Backward Compatibility...)
-3D version of the console and the pad rotating and explaining its buttons, ports and features focusing on new things (100GB Bluray, haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, etc)
-Some words from Cerny talking about its hardware architecture and explaining its main technical specs and innovations (raytracing, streaming and backwards compatibility focused hardware, etc)
-Hermen Hulst announce optional free improvements for BC games, in the same way they did work in PS4 Pro and show a PS4 vs PS5 comparision of some PlayStation Worldwide Studios, probably Horizon.
-Then they announce and show 4 Sony games: Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, and the Bluepoint game, maybe with some folk mentioning how powerful is the console and highlighting some things they couldn't do before.
-Some words from some Capcom/Ubisoft/Square activision guys mentioning that the console is super powerful and easy to develop, and show some tech demos/WIP games that highlight some extra things they now can do with that hardware thanks to the extra horsepower, RT and super fast SSD.
-Some words from Shu Yoshida to explain how easy it's going to be for indies to develop for it and how BC is going to help them (an indie can release a PS4 to take advantage of the 100M installbase and people can buy it on PS5, maybe with optional improvements)
-They don't announce a date or price, and ask devs to attend GDC to listen their talks about how enhace BC games, how to take advantage of RT, etc.
-Hey, we have one more thing... Mark Cerny appaears again to showcase Knack 3: Shadow of the Last Knack Guardian, the launch game from Japan Studio.

It doesn't matter how they're gonna announce it, when the journos pick it up, it's gonna explode all over the internet.
State of Play has ZERO pomp and circumstance.
With State of Play instead of E3, PS4 sold more games during 2019 than any other console in a single year. Only there is another case where a console sold more games in a single year: PS4 in 2018.

Their Instagram post with the PS5 logo is the most liked Instagram post ever from an official game / gaming company account.

Their own channels are more powerful than the journos channels. And well, the journos also con write after watching the same video than us. There is no reason for them to send journos to an event where journos won't be able to play games and very likely won't be able to interview people.

The format also works really well for Nintendo with Nintendo Direct and similar streams: with streamings instead of presential events they avoid the filter of the media making sure the fans receive the message how they wanted, they control the message. And then, the media who wants write about it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
With State of Play instead of E3, PS4 sold more games during 2019 than any other console in a single year. Only there is another case where a console sold more games in a single year: PS4 in 2018.

Their Instagram post with the PS5 logo is the most liked Instagram post ever from an official game / gaming company account.

The format also works really well for Nintendo with Nintendo Direct and similar streams: with streamings instead of presential events they avoid the filter of the media making sure the fans receive the message how they wanted, they control the message. And then, the media who wants write about it.
What part about "Fuck the business" don't you understand?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I wouldn't mind this at all as long as it wasn't the usual 15 minute State of Play. They would have to show a few games and some information on specs. They can even keep the same narration

-Troid-

Banned
I see, so they're going to inject everyone with SOP and use that to regulate their emotions to be favorable only to the PS5. Sounds illegal but it just might work.

Zannegan

For some things, having an audience just makes the presentation better. For an unveiling where you really want to get the message right and you've got a lot of info to share, I don't see what a live show does for you. Having suits come on stage to congratulate eachother before each trailer just slows things down and limits what you can show and how.

Unveil like Nintendo did with the Switch. Save the live celebration for an event where you have fans there, not a bunch of jaded journos.

My two cents.

Shin

Banned
UK patent filed, can't post in the speculation thread but then again this isn't speculation but a fact.
It's imminent, but a State of Play kinda thing would be disappointing yet understandable as they won't be quiet until launch.

ps5-merk-770x722.jpg

EDIT: https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00003462569

Last edited:

NahaNago

I kinda feel it needs more pomp for a console reveal. I do prefer a recorded before hand video to a live reveal.

Shin

Banned
Wait, but that says its for Jamaica?
They did it in the other patent/country they filed also.
Since it says priority, Jamaica is/has low priority so I'm guessing to keep things under wraps for a certain time.

Vawn

Banned
I'm a huge Sony guy, but it still took me a while to figure out "SOP". Maybe "SoP" would be better? Or at least spell it out the first time.

Isa

I'm not frazzled by a different approach as long as its finally shown, hopefully in depth with full specs, and I can preorder. I can't help but wonder though how the nCOV might affect procurement and manufacturing the new systems for both launch and beyond. I can see shortages being a problem, but maybe beneficial as it could drive up word of mouth and demand.

I'd love a conference like in the past though. I can't help but be slightly irritated by people complaining about time and the waste thereof. I worked like 30hrs of OT this week and STILL have time for finishing up games, playing with friends, spending time with my girl (she loves binging anime when she's off), washing my car, cooking, cleaning, paying bills etc. Like what is so precious in your lives that a little show is just unforgivable and to much to handle? Is everybody that impatient these days?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
A surprise Super Bowl ad seems pretty likely. PlayStation is the type of brand that can pull off a reveal trailer like the Xbox Series X. Have a cool trailer showing off the system and shit and at the end just plaster the event date for February 29th.
For a company that didn’t want to spend money to go to E3, wasting money on a Superbowl ad is counter intuitive to everything they’ve done up to this point.

They’re doing a State of Play or PS Meeting. That’s it.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Only enthusiasts care about reveal events. General public will know about the console through regular marketing, that's why I'm totally OK about using a SOP. My only requirement is that they use real people, not just a disembodied voice, nothing replaces Cerny with that soothing voice.

Top Bottom