• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if PS5 is announced through SOP?

EDMIX

To be honest, I don't even think anyone would care.

Switch was revealed during a trailer on Youtube

40 million views later and 52 million sales later I don't think Nintendo is complaining.

I'm not sure I'd care. So long as I see it, date, price, features, games, I'm not sure I care so much of how its revealed, so long as its revealed. To be honest, even if its at a event on some stage.......we are going to be watching THRU YOUTUBE ANYWAY lol

It being live or filmed before hand I think is irrelevant to most gamers.

Neo Blaster

Technically, the PS5 was announced via an article on Wired.
If I remember correctly, the first official info about PS4 came at the 2013 PS Meeting. Regarding PS5 so far we have two Wired articles, a few tweets and a features screen and logo at CES, my theory is that either they could make a SoP and spill the beans or spread it thin through more articles, tweets and having presentations in other events like GDC.

TLZ

Banned
To be honest, even if its at a event on some stage.......we are going to be watching THRU YOUTUBE ANYWAY lol
Exactly. I don't know why people watching it online are even complaining like we were all going to be attending the stage event to begin with :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Codes 208

Nope. Why limit themselves? Chances are we’ll see an event similar to the ps4’s reveal. And aince theyre skipping e3 this yesr, that could potentially give them other oppurtunities to reveal other details (similar to nintendo’s directs or thos inside xbox events)

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think they like the sound of journalists cheering. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No I think we all want a real event not some half ass cringeworthy SOP. I can't think of one fan direct that was not completely cringeworthy from either Sony or MS. I don't think it is much to ask for a real event once every seven years to reveal a new generation.

If they announce prior to its showing that this SoP will reveal the PS5 and some game demos it will be huge.

With Social Media the way it is it would be the number 1 trending thing in the world within minutes.

Why spend the 30 million on an E3 show when you can do maybe an hour long SoP and get your point across.

Have been prepping people in the speculation thread for a couple of weeks now and even shared with Mod of War Mod of War a couple of weeks ago this was the talk.

SOP should be reserved for standard announcements.
From the ones I have seen so far, they still feel too sterile and 'perfect'.
It needs more quirkiness and fun.

If they do use the SOP then they should hype up the PS5 SOP as something special.
They need to hype up the PS5 reveal as something special and once in a life time (generation)... then bam (though what they reveal should match or exceed the hype)!

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but PS5 was announced a long time ago.
Do you really want to discuss semantics now? I'm pretty sure everybody here knows what a PROPER announcement is: more info.

Last edited:
They don’t have to “announce” it at all and it’ll still sell 100m. That’s how strong the brand is at the moment.

The brand was also very strong coming out of the PS2 era. Look how the PS3 ended up compared to the previous gen. So I think they shouldn't be too cocky

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Definite possibility.

They've skipped two E3s in a row (2019 and 2020), and their E3 2018 was a disaster, where they preferred doing music lessons than gaming.

As Battlescar said above, they already announced PS5 through low key articles. They had the Wired.com Mark Cerny article, then in late 2019 did more internet PR.

State of Plays are now their main thing.

Similar to Nintendo, they've ditched the big stage shows for internet streams.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it’s been obvious that it will be a SOP or similar.
I still do wish they’d have done an E3 reveal, watching those is like the gamer’s version of the super bowl (and Sony’s last E3 was great!)
They can still do that. Big stage shows don't have to be at E3. Nor do they have to be at the E3 venue.

i think it would be cheaper than doing an event. Safer than doing an event to if not live so no technical hicups. Also it would just do well for state of play and get people hyped for the one after that. Thats what I would do. Save that money for your marketing

Psykodad

Banned
I wouldn't care at all... as long as we finally get the details (and then they finally let us put those pre-orders in!)
This.

Already got the money for two PS5s ready to be thrown at Sony.
Just need a date and price.

Last edited:

DJ12

So, as we move closer to next gen, PlayStation has decided to choose exclusive news outlets and SOP to announce things. How would you react if they announce the PS5 Through a web only show instead of an event like they have in the past??

It could explain why nothing is leaking and why there is no news.
As I wasn't expecting an invite I doubt it would make any difference at all.

I was expecting to watch a steam on the internet and state of play could just be that. Even if it's pre recorded it wouldn't really make any difference.

schaft0620

I don't care how Sony does it except for one thing, I don't want a hardware event then a game event or several game events (SoP). I want a full blown 2 hour, buckle your seats, the entire first year of exclusives. Along with some third party. Sorta like what Nintendo did.

I don't want like one or two games, Godfall and PS4 ports. I want like an entire E3s worth of games. Then I want an indie event.

thelastword

Banned
Don't know why people are so convinced a PS5 announcement needs to be made right now...……...PS5 is still 10 months away, there is so much time...….Sony is more interested in doing marketing campaigns for LOU2, Dreams and Tshushima at this point....

Still, it doesn't matter how Sony does the reveal, they could do the reveal at a toilet stall in a nightclub in the Bronx and it will break the internet......

Entroyp

I agree with the post above. PS still has some big hitters coming out this year so PS5 should no be too much of the focus just yet.

MS can go nuts promoting the new Xbox, what else can they do?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They could just as well not advertise it and just put the announcement + preorder link on twitter. There is no reason to advertise these things nowadays.
Everyone is saying they are going to buy ps5 at the end of this year anyway and the thing don't exist yet

Last edited:

webber

As I previously said on the speculation thread: I think it would end up being almost the same show but A LOT CHEAPER.
It's only the press who attend these things and they're just there looking at their keyboards waiting to post online whatever happens anyway.
So why not just "online" it yourself and do a pre-recorded full of well edited reveals, trailers and behind the scenes show?
Sony seems very keen on doing things for the fans (cheaper) this time around and I think doing it online they can reach a broader audience.

Last edited:

magnumpy

gotta love the fool who was expecting a reveal during the super bowl. a super bowl commercial was apparently too expensive :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

yurinka

gotta love the fool who was expecting a reveal during the super bowl. a super bowl commercial was apparently too expensive :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Nobody gives a fuck about Superbowl outside USA.

And ad there makes sense for a US focused product, but PS5 is a worldwide focused product. It's way cheaper and way more effective for them to just put a video on Youtube and tweet it.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be PISSED.

State of Play has ZERO pomp and circumstance. The unveiling of the PS5 should be a celebration. It's kind of the problem I had with how the XSX was revealed. It was jarring and awkward to do it during the awards show. I had to get revved up to get excited about it, instead of my usual waiting with hot anticipation and drool falling out the side of my mouth. It needs to be an event. I'm sick of people saying "well, it's better for the business to do it this way, myahhh". Fuck the business. I wanna see a show.

This. 100%.

Sony should rent out a venue for the week of E3 and have a live on stage showcase. We get a show, Sony avoids the ESA and their fees and completes E3. Everyone wins.

If it's a shitty fucking State of Play, Sony can fuck off and would have made my purchasing decision even easier.

jonnyp

This. 100%.

Sony should rent out a venue for the week of E3 and have a live on stage showcase. We get a show, Sony avoids the ESA and their fees and completes E3. Everyone wins.

If it's a shitty fucking State of Play, Sony can fuck off and would have made my purchasing decision even easier.

Your purchasing decision is based on how the new hardware is unveiled as opposed to what it can do and which games will be at launch? Geez....

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Your purchasing decision is based on how the new hardware is unveiled as opposed to what it can do and which games will be at launch? Geez....

I will own both as I usually do but for launch it is. Sony made the decision for me with PS3 and I went with 360 until Uncharted 2 was released. Microsoft made the decision for me with Xbox One and I went with PS4 until ROTTR bundle.

Launch games right now is in favor of Xbox. Halo Infinite and most likely Gears Tactics console version are guarantees. Godfall for PS5 is said to be a timed exclusive which means I can wait a year. As of now, only Ghost of Tsushima being a cross-gen launch title would guarantee me buying PS5 day one. As of now, it's 50/50 but I have no hype. I'm more hyped for Xbox Series X than PS5.

A surprise Super Bowl ad seems pretty likely. PlayStation is the type of brand that can pull off a reveal trailer like the Xbox Series X. Have a cool trailer showing off the system and shit and at the end just plaster the event date for February 29th.
It could be very lickely but.....it didn't happen, so it will be State of Play ore a show only for how the PS5 looks and perhaps some games. The final full specs and the price?? Naaah.
This is more trustworthy than al the rumors and insider b*s
in the world😉

Top Bottom