• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is stopping iPhone from replacing consoles in the future?

I've been thinking about this for a while, the new iPhone is more powerful than the base PS4 apparently. It has more than enough storage to install AAA games as well.

Most AAA games are still coming out on the PS4. What is preventing AAA games from releasing on iPhone or even Android phones? I think Apple needs to come up with a game controller and start talking to AAA developers.

I can imagine Apple coming up with a controller similar to the dream cast controller. The iPhone is in the middle of the controller so it is easier to play your games. You should also be able to screen cast the game onto your TV so you don't have to play it on your iPhone screen.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Did people lose braincells?
WTF-is-this-shit-e1420564489590.jpg

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, apple already dominates the gaming market by revenue.

They just need to work on the Apple TV and drop a new m chip in it and it would be something

Raonak

Banned
I've been thinking about this for a while, the new iPhone is more powerful than the base PS4 apparently. It has more than enough storage to install AAA games as well.

Most AAA games are still coming out on the PS4. What is preventing AAA games from releasing on iPhone or even Android phones? I think Apple needs to come up with a game controller and start talking to these AAA developers.

I can imagine Apple coming up with a controller similar to the dream cast controller where the iPhone is in the middle of the controller so it is easier to play your games. You should also be able to screen cast the game onto your TV so you don't have to play it on your iPhone screen.

This has already been possible for like a decade now and it's never gotten traction.

1- if you're a mobile gamer, why would you ever want to play with a controller.
2- if you're a core gamer, why would you ever want to play on your phone.

Most importantly, no-one wants to waste their phone battery playing demanding games when they can just it on a dedicated console/pc

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
? Unreal engine works with Apple products already. It isn't like they have to develop for the ground up in most cases.
What type of unreal?
The console/PC version or the mobile version?

A PS4 game takes around 20gb to 100gb. It's not the same thing for mobile.

This has already been possible for like a decade now and it's never gotten traction.

1- if you're a mobile gamer, why would you ever want to play with a controller.
2- if you're a core gamer, why would you ever want to play on your phone.

1. I don't think Apple or Samsung ever embraced a controller. Huge miss potential imo. Microsoft's Xbox controller seems half ass for iPhone imo.

2. Why would I pay for a new console when I already have an iPhone powerful enough to run AAA games? It is obvious that consoles are becoming more stagnant. The benefits between each console generation is becoming less noticeable.

There are only a handful of current gen AAA games that couldn't run on last gen consoles.

Last edited:

Bry0

Even though phones get better, so does everything else. You can always fit more power into a stationary box with active cooling.

Even though phones get better, so does everything else. You can always fit more power into a stationary box with active cooling.
A stationary box is only as good as the developers. So far this generation, the only noticeable difference is faster loading and better frames with AAA games. The resolution increased this generation, but I don't think 8k will ever take off if I was honest with you.

As stationary box is only as good as the developers. So far this generation, the only noticeable difference is faster loading and better frames with AAA games. The resolution increased this generation, but I don't think 8k will ever take off if I was honest with you.
is about tne echosystem

Bry0

A stationary box is only as good as the developers. So far this generation, the only noticeable difference is faster loading and better frames with AAA games. The resolution increased this generation, but I don't think 8k will ever take off if I was honest with you.
Of course it will. That’s silly imo.

SEGA_2012

I love PLAYSTATION, XBOX AND NINTENDO SWITCH.
But I do not love IPHONE.
Please don't count with me to this quest.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This makes no sense but considering the Chips apple is pumping out they would actually ne in a great position to release a console, but alas they own basically zero game software companies that matter. Software drives sales.......

Raonak

Banned
1. I don't think Apple or Samsung ever embraced a controller. Huge miss potential imo. Microsoft's Xbox controller seems half ass for iPhone imo.

2. Why would I pay for a new console when I already have an iPhone powerful enough to run AAA games? It is obvious that consoles are becoming more stagnant. The benefits between each console generation is becoming less noticeable.

There are only a handful of current gen AAA games that couldn't run on last gen consoles.

1. You can already connect any controller. Dualsense and Xbox controllers are way better than any controller apple and Samsung come up with anyway.

2. Iphone has dogshit battery. Iphone has no cooling and CPU will start throttling when it gets hot. Your phone is gonna melt if you play anything remotely demanding.

There is simply no market for this. People who have interest in sitting down for hours playing games have no interest in playing games on their mobile.
The people who have interest in AAA games would rather just buy a console/PC/switch that's dedicated to playing game.

AREYOUOKAY?

Buttons and analog sticks for starters. If your thing doesn't have them from the start then the only thing I'm pressing is the off button.

Last edited:
1. You can already connect any controller. Dualsense and Xbox controllers are way better than any controller apple and Samsung come up with anyway.

2. Iphone has dogshit battery. Iphone has no cooling and CPU will start throttling when it gets hot. Your phone is gonna melt if you play anything remotely demanding.

There is simply no market for this. People who have interest in sitting down for hours playing games have no interest in playing games on their mobile.
The people who have interest in AAA games would rather just buy a console/PC/switch that's dedicated to playing game.

1. Apple didn't embrace or market any controller. That is the key here. They also need to talk to AAA game developers and work with them.

2. You can charge the iPhone up while playing AAA games so battery life isn't a problem. Apple is finding ways to keep the iPhone cool while using it extensively. There are devices that you can use to keep your iPhone cooler. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vb-rYOR1bTk Apple should be able to intergrate it with their controller.

Also you are missing the fact that AAA game development is getting stagnant. The improvements between each generations is becoming miniscule. iPhone will be able to catch up.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
1. Apple didn't embrace or market any controller. That is the key here. They also need to talk to AAA game developers and work with them.

2. You can charge the iPhone up while playing AAA games so battery life isn't a problem. Apple is finding ways to keep the iPhone cool while using it extensively. There are devices that you can use to keep your iPhone cooler. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/vb-rYOR1bTk Apple should be able to intergrate it with their controller.

Also you are missing the fact that AAA game development is getting stagnant. The improvements between each generations is becoming miniscule. iPhone will be able to catch up.
1. What's that got to do with anything? Controllers on mobile phones have existed since forever. And apple hates buttons as it is.

2. Once gain, those are such cumbersome solutions. No-one wants to play games like that. You're gonna likely be able to get a console for the same price as a dock/controller.

AAA development has nothing to do with the fact that everybody who wants to play AAA games doesn't want to play on their phone.
AAA mobile games already exist (fortnite, genshin) gamepass, remote play. It isn't some untapped market. It's already there, and no-one cares.
Phone could outperform PCs and Consoles and AAA games would still have no audience on phones.

1. What's that got to do with anything? Controllers on mobile phones have existed since forever. And apple hates buttons as it is.

2. Once gain, those are such cumbersome solutions. No-one wants to play games like that. You're gonna likely be able to get a console for the same price as a dock/controller.

AAA development has nothing to do with the fact that everybody who wants to play AAA games doesn't want to play on their phone.
AAA mobile games already exist (fortnite, genshin) gamepass, remote play. It isn't some untapped market. It's already there, and no-one cares.
Phone could outperform PCs and Consoles and AAA games would still have no audience on phones.
1. But they love money! AAA games make money, it is simple math.

2. That is not true, a console will cost 400 to 500 dollars. If you already have an iPhone why pay the extra money?

Fortnite and Genshin are popular on iPhone so yeah... Why would a phone hinder your experience in AAA games? You can screen cast it on your tv for god sakes.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
'What is stopping iPhone from replacing consoles in the future?'

It's an Apple product and there is no way in hell i'm buying an Apple product.

Banned
I mean eventually, the endgame will be one small device that does everything, but it will take a while until we get there.

here's my future prediction for the next 30 years in this regard:

phones will get more and more powerful.

eventually we will stop calling them smartphones and a new term will be coined.

Microsoft and Apple will start pushing their full desktop OS onto these new devices that will replace both the PC and your phone, which will optimise their UI dynamically according to the current use case (being uses by hand or with a mouse and keyboard dock, or with a controller). this already kinda is a thing with many mobile devices.

Since hardware gets smaller, cheaper and more and more wide spread, consoles will eventually seize to exist.

everything will be one device that can be used in all the ways we currently use our PC, Console and Phone, and with the small and powerful hardware of the future there will be zero compromise as the hardware has long stopped being a limiting factor for game developers by that time.

this is the eventual endgame of personal productivity and entertainment hardware... it's just a matter of how long it will take to get there

Several issues. If you're playing at home, plugging your phone into your TV and using a PS/Xbox controller via Bluetooth is both cumbersome and deprives you of your phone. If you're on the go, you'll need one of those telescoping controllers and gaming will kill your battery. And Apple obviously does a terrible job of managing the games in the app store.

It's just not a good solution. A dedicated device will always make more sense for anything but bottom of the barrel timewaster games

Consumer adoption. Nothing else. Doesn't matter how much flops or whatever your plastic box has. But it seems people don't want to game on their phones (as in: AAA titles).

Top Bottom