• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best AI you've experienced in a game?

GymWolf

Fear 1 was great

Tlou\unchy 4 during combat are good enough (at hardest difficulty)

Halo 1 to 3 on legendary are pretty good too.

Mgs5 during stealth (not so much during combat)

Killzone 2 was nice.

Some human enemies in apotheon (the ranged one)

Gta 5 and rdr2 npc have some nice scripts and reactions.

Human Hunters in bloodborne sometimes fights almost like real people.

Lately? Believe or not, division 2 (during combat)

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Like most others have said, Halo, all of them and especially Reach. Those Covenant bastards killed me so many times on Reach Legendary - always adjusting and foiling my moves. The Prometheans in 4 on Legendary were pretty obnoxious too.

MDSLKTR

These boys can still make you sweat.

Last edited:

Chromata

Skyrim.

Once when I was raiding a camp, two men sat next to a campfire. They didn't speak, just enjoyed each other's company.

I headshot one of them with my bow and they dropped dead in front of their friend. To my surprise, the friend didn't come running. He immediately understood his fate and the futility of struggling against it. He stared into the flames in silent meditation, coming to peace with the universe.

Then I went and stole the clothes he was wearing without him noticing and let the philosopher live.

Ground breaking stuff. Thanks Todd 🙌

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I liked dueling bots in UT2004 in harder difficulties as practice for online but I'm a noob in arena twitch FPS like that so.

Last edited:

Alexios

These boys can still make you sweat.
I read somewhere it's all faked and they've basically coded it so if there are more than 2 enemies around, only 2 at a time will attack and the rest will go off to do random shit and shout lies like "flanking!" and stuff. Can't confirm.

Goes to show fun to fight AI is a completely different deal to AI that is practically effective against the player (headshot aimbot enemies are never fun in arena FPS deathmatch for example, they need to program human-like deficiencies deliberately).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Skyrim.

Once when I was raiding a camp, two men sat next to a campfire. They didn't speak, just enjoyed each other's company.

I headshot one of them with my bow and they dropped dead in front of their friend. To my surprise, the friend didn't come running. He immediately understood his fate and the futility of struggling against it. He stared into the flames in silent meditation, coming to peace with the universe.

Then I went and stole the clothes he was wearing without him noticing and let the philosopher live.

Ground breaking stuff. Thanks Todd 🙌
For a moment i was "is this mofo for real", then i read the rest of the post :ROFLMAO:

GymWolf

For those saying TLOU are you referring to the companion AI? If so I can see why, but wasn't enemy AI nothing special ?
The human enemy ia during gunfight was actually pretty good, they surround you if you stay still they often tries pincer strategies and they are pretty aggressive, i only played at the hardest difficulty so i don't know if normal mode is the same, probably not.

Ai during stealth against humans was shit and broken if i remember well.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The Last Guardian and The Last Of Us and Metal Gear Solid V.
Personally I wouldn't put The Last Guardian on the list. I can't remember how many times I got frustrated because Trico wasn't responding to my commands or actions. And it wasn't something I'd call a feature (like having an untrained pet), but a broken mechanic (not fully thankfully).

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think im way too chicken to play f.e.a.r. haha.

Just in case i grow a pair, would it be better to by F.E.A.R. 3. Its 75% off on Steam right now

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2

Y9hSSeQ.gif

- Guards radio in status reports periodically
- If a status report is late, HQ will send an investigation squad
- If you hold up a guard and lower your weapon too long, he will kick you and try to escape
- Guards can heal themselves if they are wounded
- If a guard's radio is broken, they will try to escape the area which triggers an alert if they are successful
- Guards can peak around corners rather than exposing themselves totally
- Guards in Evasion mode will strafe around corners with their weapons at the ready
- Guards check lockers, bathroom stalls, air vents, and under tables
- Despite no splinter cell lighting system, there are areas where your shadow is cast around a corner and guards can see it
- Despite no dedicated sound bar like splinter cell, there are areas where you can shoot unsilenced weapons and guards will not hear it due to the ambient noise

On higher difficulties they remain the toughest enemies in the entire series by far.

GymWolf

Definitely broken. Sometimes you could sneak up right beside them and they would do nothing.
Not only that, but you can make a pile of cadavers and most enemies are gonna forget after 30 seconds, you find hilarious video on youtube about tlou stealth.

The sequel from previews looks far better in the stealth departement but i don't really trust shills journalist so i'm gonna see bu myself at launch.

I’m also going to throw in Rise of the Tomb Raider. I was very surprised how ruthless the enemies can be. Just about every gunfight I got in I was constantly being flanked and flushed out by grenades if I got too comfortable in cover

vpance

Not only that, but you can make a pile of cadavers and most enemies are gonna forget after 30 seconds, you find hilarious video on youtube about tlou stealth.

The sequel from previews looks far better in the stealth departement but i don't really trust shills journalist so i'm gonna see bu myself at launch.

I got higher hopes for the sequel.

As bad as the stealth AI in TLoU was, I'd say it was fairly convincing at being smart in a first playthrough, where you're just trying to survive. It's the replays where you know what you're doing you can break it easily.

GymWolf

I got higher hopes for the sequel.

As bad as the stealth AI in TLoU was, I'd say it was fairly convincing at being smart in a first playthrough, where you're just trying to survive. It's the replays where you know what you're doing you can break it easily.
I exploited some ia bugs in my first run tbh :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Nigel

Recently I really liked Hitman 2's. They have the best form of alert status and formation in any stealth game.

Digity

Killzone 2 had great AI for the time especially on higher difficulties.

MGS games are an obvious choice as well.

Lone Wolf

Like most others have said, Halo, all of them and especially Reach. Those Covenant bastards killed me so many times on Reach Legendary - always adjusting and foiling my moves. The Prometheans in 4 on Legendary were pretty obnoxious too.
Playing Reach again on The MC collection made me realize how smart the AI used to be in Halo because Halo 5s AI is borderline retarded.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hitman series more or less. Especially how they react to everything they see, hear and if they catch you trespassing.
Hitman was pretty good now that I think about it. I don't know how many times I tried something just to see if they would act like you would expect them too. they did not disappoint.

Alexios

This impressed me when I first saw it (ancient pre-release video obv). Great freebie game btw, go play it (and its predecessor first, it's a MGS1&2 type relationship so you'll get more out of it). I wish Merry Gear Solid 3(D) wasn't cancelled.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Stockfish Chess Engine.

100% got destroyed.

As with everyone else, i think the top pick has to go to AlphaStar.
Damn were these matches fascinating.

It would be great if DeepMind or OpenAI collaborated with other video games devs to make great Video games AI's.

I mean this video is just amazing

Last edited:

Zelent

Wow. I'm blown away by the amount of people that have said F.E.A.R.
That was the first game that came to my mind... but I don't play that many FPS games.

F.E.A.R. is such an amazing shooter, and not just because of the AI. I really wish to see the game rebooted some day.

Bolivar687

Banned
I came in this thread to say I beat FEAR and never really noticed what was supposed to be so great about the game or its AI. I was bored a good amount of the time because the environments were so repetitive, you were basically running through the exact same room as the one you just left for 5 hours straight before moving to a new location. I liked FEAR 2, though.

I might try it again because I may have been playing at a weird resolution something.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I came in this thread to say I beat FEAR and never really noticed what was supposed to be so great about the game or its AI. I was bored a good amount of the time because the environments were so repetitive, you were basically running through the exact same room as the one you just left for 5 hours straight before moving to a new location. I liked FEAR 2, though.

I might try it again because I may have been playing at a weird resolution something.

Yup. I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

vpance

It's funny that so many of the responses have been for games that are 10+ years old. It's not CPU power that is holding back AI in games.

Didn't watch, but yeah it's pretty much down to good scripting and level design. Devs who put a little more effort into it back then saw great results because the levels were still small and predictable.

Nowadays it's much harder to do that with the vast increase in map size and number of AIs. Plus there doesn't seem to be much incentive to put the work in there especially if MP is the main draw.

Last edited:

cireza

I really like Dead or Alive series AI. It is a great AI for single player sessions, never feels like it is cheating. KOF99/2K are also fantastic for single player.

Virtua Fighter 5 also had a fantastic AI, especially the fact that the same fighter could have different kinds of AI mimicking real players in the Quest Mode.

Fighting games are interesting overall because it is a genre where you easily go from a great AI to worst AI ever. So many games that have shit AI, it is almost insulting.

Quake 3 was good as well. Very challenging, but manageable. I completed Nightmare mode on Dreamcast.

I remember a Prince of Tennis game on PS2 that had a great, challenging AI as well.

Otherwise I realize that not many games I play have AI, it is often patterns and scripts, or a bit random (RPGs).

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
The Elder Scroll Oblivion for sure.........jk

The Killzone games have some great AI.

Sekiro bosses and mini-bosses have good AI (most of them).

Top Bottom