• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Back to the Future film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Growing up I loved the second because of the future element, 2015 was just so cool. I went several years without watching the trilogy, think I over watched them and it was a good 8-9 years before seeing them again. Got the trilogy in the early 2000's.

I had a new appreciation for the original film and it became my favorite in the trilogy. It's just perfect, the first time I had watched it in years I completely had a mind blank (forgetting that Doc is in part 2 and 3) and really thought he died when he was shot AGAIN when Marty returned to 1985. Did shed a tear as I loved the moment when Marty discovered he was alive.

That said the moment in Part 2 when he reads the letter from 1885 is also a mark out moment.

You're supposed to have a favorite of the 3? They're all good enough for me to be one big movie.

I have done this myself and turned all 3 movies into one mega movie. It's good fun to marathon through.

Well here ya go. 2 is the worst.

1-3-2

The second has some great ideas but is too wrapped up in (impressive for the time)effects and forgets about character and plot.

2 is more pointless than 3. 3 is at least about people, as the first film was. 2 is one long plot contrivance that plays out like a Saturday morning cartoon. In 1 and 3, the time machine is the device that allows the story to happen. In 2, the time machine is the story, and the second film is by far the weakest of the three as a result.

1.............................................3, 2.

These guys know the score.

2 was cool when we were kids because of all the futuristic gadgets but watching it again you realise it's a bit of a mess.

The first one is best on the merits. The second one however, captures the imagination way more. That's a very underrated aspect of movies.

2 was worth it for the scene where it's storming outside and Doc explains to Marty the parallel timelines. The internet has made enough parodies of it by now but it's still a really good scene.

beril

1 >>>>>>> 3 > 2

2 is pretty hard to watch with all the bad aging makeup. And the whole 'chicken' thing is a horribly stupid plot point that makes it really hard to have any sort of respect or sympathy for Marty as a character

Ogni-XR21

Part 1, no doubt about it. I like them all, but 1 has one of the best screenplays of all time. Not a thing happening in that movie that isn't relevant and does not have consequences in the story.

Tunahead

2 is the worst by far. The clumsy introduction of Marty's alektrophobia, the dystopian darkness of the alternate present that is tonally dissonant with the entire rest of the series, the terrible old age make-up, Michael J. Fox as his own children inspiring a million Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence vehicles, the list of atrocities goes on.

I think the worst is the time travel completely falling apart though. BTTFs 1 and 3 are more character driven, but BTTF2 is specifically about time travel, so it's kind of important for it to make sense. How did Old Biff get back into the old future after he changed it? You'll note I didn't ask why, because why is obvious: The main characters needed the time machine. Old Biff's time paradox is small potatoes compared to the major issue in BTTF2, though: Future Marty.

In the BTTF2 future timeline, Marty McFly, his girlfriend, and his disgraced scientist associate disappeared from 1985 and weren't seen for thirty years. So who the fuck is this future Marty? And future Jennifer? And why are their children clones of Marty? Is the McFly household being invaded by Skrulls? Why didn't Doc just ask future Marty to help out? It's the same character and you wouldn't need to risk two Martys colliding and making space-time collapse in on itself. For fucks sake, BTTF2.

Alx

The first one is clearly the best, because it has a simple but solid premise. The sequels just try to one-up and cross-reference it, which is fun but doesn't make for a better movie.

Back to the Future 2 - I loved to futuristic 2015 sequences of this film when I was young, but now they just seem really off-putting. All the product placement is irritating and ruins immersion. While I can't fault any creator for having an incorrect vision of the future, some of the predictions are outright dumb. People will wear 2 ties at the office instead of 1!

I think that's the point, kind of. It's not really a serious prediction, but the usual "the future will be so crazy !" trope. Like the three seashells.
Also as far as fashion is concerned, you never know. I'd take double ties and inside-out pockets over crocs, giant ear-holes or sagging pants.

JediLink

I don't know which is the best but I want to say that I think 2 is underrated. It's the only one that really gets creative with the time travel stuff.

mclem

The first is the funniest, the second is the cleverest, the third is the most exciting.

Take your pick.

liquidtmd

Banned
1 as an overall film is the 'best'. It will forever be a classic of modern cinema. 2 is my favourite setting and feels so effortless in terms of running through quite a convoluted set of ideas and 3...I've come to really appreciate 3 over the years. I hear people's criticism of it, but by this point just being with these characters is a joy. Whilst the most hokey, the (albeit less subtle) emotional beats really get me and it doesn't completely screw the landing.

Unbelievable, that old Biff could have chosen that particular date. It could mean that that point in time inherently contains some sort of cosmic significance. Almost as if it were the temporal junction point for the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence.

Lloyds deliver of this in 2 is so perfect it's amongst my GOAT.

Airola

Be a little more coy.

Nah, it's the truth.

When I've watched 1 & 2 too many times, 3 is the best.
When I've watched 2 & 3 too many times, 1 is the best.
When I've watched 1 & 3 too many times, 2 is the best.

Also, they all depend on the mood I'm craving at the moment.
To get that nice 50's 'nostalgia', 1 is fantastic for it.
To get that nice future-scifi feeling, 2 is fantastic for it.
To get that nice western feel, 3 is fantastic for it.

The only time I find any faults in any of these movies is when I've watched one of them too many times in a row and get bored with it and want to see something else.
And even then, a break from the movies make all of them feel fresh again.

Right now I'd like to watch 3 the most since I've watched the other two a few months ago on tv.

Number_6

How is this a question? Of course 1 is the best. The sequels are...inferior sequels. Awesome, but messy at times.

I never quite liked Marty hating being called "chicken". Like, they couldn't come up with a better life-ruining hangup? Anyway, I prefer 3 to 2, since it has more of a focus to it, and c'mon, it's so awesome how they get the now 70-yr-old DeLorean out of the cave.

Tobor

Not only is the first movie a true classic, it's the only one that actually works in telling a complete and competent story.

The 80's and 50's are the only time periods that work in the series. The juxtaposition of the freedom and sexuality of the 80's teenager with the assumed straightlaced and socially repressed 50's teenager works perfectly. Marty's assumptions about his parents(which we all share) tie in with his assumptions about the 50's in general.

The first movie is truly timeless.

The second and third movie are silly cash ins and have no business being compared to the first. The second movie is dark and ridiculous, with a future that only exists as a warped caricature of the present(1989). The story is a garbage retread and serves no purpose outside of laughing at this inane future. The third movie is even worse. It's bland and uninteresting, as the story reduces to a series of jokes about old Western movies. What's the point other than cashing in on a once unique concept?

1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>forget the other two exist and watch 1 again.

dperrin

While the 1st is easily the best one, my favorite is the 3rd. I love westerns and this one was the most goofy fun out of the trilogy.

120v

I never quite liked Marty hating being called "chicken". Like, they couldn't come up with a better life-ruining hangup? .

rewatching the trilogy all these years later it was kind of striking how they just shoehorned that arc in there. but i guess it did the job in rounding out the trilogy with a "no fate but what we make" narrative. anything else would've just bogged the movies down

The first one is the best. The second one is handicapped by their total inability to write a character for Jennifer. The third one is fine, too.

Don't know what you're talking about, OP. There isn't much in the world that is agreed upon as unanimously as the first back to the future being the best of the series.

The Hobo

1 >>>>> 2 = 3.

Why did Doc bring Martys girlfriend to the future if he was going to knock her out instantly.

I don't think he intended to knock her out initially. It was only when she started asking too many questions about the future that he chose to sedate her as their wasn't enough time to really explain everything to her.

liquidtmd

Banned
1 >>>>> 2 = 3.

Why did Doc bring Martys girlfriend to the future if he was going to knock her out instantly.

They wrote the end of 1 long before they planned to write 2. The writers long said that if they knew 2 would go ahead, she wouldn't have been in the car.

One is the only actual great one. Two has some cool visuals but a horrible script and Three is a decent cowboy adventure but still not great.

One is pretty much a perfect film in many ways.

WillyFive

Part 1 is the best, closely followed by 3.

Part 2 suffers from being a middle chapter with no beginning or end, it works only when seen with the other 2.

Cheebo

Banned
This seems like an issue where the fanbase is always interestingly split.

Split as in 99% of the audience agrees 1 is the best then there is a drop off for 2 & 3?

Because 1 is basically nearly unanimously seen as the best.

Oh and
1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3 > 2

EGM1966

1's for sure the best as a film. Tightest script, best balance of tone and perfect ending combined with great humour.

2's interesting but a mess from a structural perspective. Some great moments but it's simply a lesser script and structure.

3's solid but a bit of a re-run of first (common issue with unplanned trilogies) and the humour and repeat jokes are showing diminishing returns.

But the first is a perfect film really.

Dirca

As many have said, 1,3,2. However, they're all great in their own way and are really just 1 long movie since part 2 overlaps 1's ending and 3's beginning.

Patrick S.

Banned
The first one is the best. The second one is just too dated. The third one is quite good, too. The second one is almost never on TV. Most stations usually run only the third one or the whole series, but almost never only the first one and never ever only the second one. And I always wonder if that little boy on the train pointing at his wiener in the third one was really not caught by anyone during shooting, editing and production.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Love them all for their own strengths. If I had to pick one though I too would say the 2nd.

border

Split as in 99% of the audience agrees 1 is the best then there is a drop off for 2 & 3?

Because 1 is basically nearly unanimously seen as the best.

I've certainly heard a more diverse set of opinions than that, though typically outside internet enclaves. The first film is a relatively basic fish-out-water comedy where time travel is largely incidental to the story, so BttF2 and BttF3 tend to appeal more to fans of genre fiction. BttF2 is much more a science fiction film than the first, so there's appeal in its futurism and its greater use of the time machine and exploration of alternate realities. BttF3 obviously appeals to people that like westerns, though fans of that genre are more few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom