• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Back to the Future film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
Biff in 2 always felt waaaay too mean to me. Like he stops being a bully you can take joy in dunking on and he becomes a deplorable monster whose defeat is your grave duty.

1 is the obvious best. And 3 has trains and I like those so it gets a pass for me. Watching 2 just makes me feel unclean. And I gotta imagine that Trump ascendant makes 2 even more dire and uncomfortable to watch today.

Trump winning makes it much better, yes, because it's more believable and realistic now. I just watched it the other day. Not kidding.

Still one is the best.

I don't like 3. It's just okay.

I like 2 best, but that being said, one of the ways it was so great was how it directly built off of 1, to the point where you might've wondered if you could see the other Marty in the original.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The whole thing as one single movie.

Seriously though I could never choose. But I usually lean towards 2 as my favorite because of the future stuff. Then again, that future is now our past so it doesn't have the same impact anymore.

I'm unsure how I'd react to them new today, but for a 7 year old kid all the time travel shenanigans in Part II blew my mind, and for that reason it remains a personal favorite. The 50s segment that intertwines with the events of the first film is perhaps my favorite segment of movie from anything.

I don't find any of them to be weak, but that is why I am a superfan. As a kid I didn't like III as much because yeah, not a western fan here, but now I appreciate the humor more. Tom Wilson's Mad Dog is just so ridiculously over the top.

Is anyone else around here reading the comics?

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm unsure how I'd react to them new today, but for a 7 year old kid all the time travel shenanigans in Part II blew my mind, and for that reason it remains a personal favorite. The 50s segment that intertwines with the events of the first film is perhaps my favorite segment of movie from anything.

I don't find any of them to be weak, but that is why I am a superfan. As a kid I didn't like III as much because yeah, not a western fan here, but now I appreciate the humor more. Tom Wilson's Mad Dog is just so ridiculously over the top.

Is anyone else around here reading the comics?

True but also radically different to Biff, Old Biff, Griff and Alt '85 Biff.

Tom Wilson is one of the GOAT backbones of any movie series. Legit wouldn't work without him. So good.

LoveCake

If I want to watch a BTTF film I watch 3, I just like it the best, so in order of favorite, for me it is 3 > 2 > 1.

I have watched 3 more than I have 2 and I have watched 2 a lot more than I have watched 1.

Now which is the best film, I would say 1, however all three are basically one big film.

a.wd

hang on? Surely its 2>1>3?

I cannot believe their is a debate.

We can all agree 3 is rubbish though right?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I love the first, and I hate the sequels.

border

Did Doc Brown live an entire life and die in the the early 1900's, after he sent the telegram to Marty? I always thought his adventures in the late 19th century would make for a kinda cool side story or TV series.

liquidtmd

Banned
Did Doc Brown live an entire life and die in the the early 1900's, after he sent the telegram to Marty? I always thought his adventures in the late 19th century would make for a kinda cool side story or TV series.

Eeerrrrm did you watch 3?

He's referring to that, if at the end of 1 Marty and Jen went with Doc to 2015, history wouldn't have played out to the point where they could visit themselves as oblvious elderly people because their history hadn't happened

EGM1966

Nope it surely isn't. First is far and away better self contained film.

I can't believe anyone would claim 2 is a better film.

That they prefer it? Sure. But on a critical basis? Nope that's a tall order.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
He's referring to that, if at the end of 1 Marty and Jen went with Doc to 2015, history wouldn't have played out to the point where they could visit themselves as oblvious elderly people because their history hadn't happened
There would have to be a guarantee that Marty and Jen both return home safely.

I guess you could argue that since they do get home, then it is a guarantee. Couple that with the fact that changing time in BTTF uses a ripple effect, and obviously it would take a bit longer for that effect to get from 1885 to 1985 then you shouldn't notice a problem.

Basically the fact that Marty and Jen exist in 2015 and have children is enough to prove that Marty will succeed in what happens in 1885. Or at least he will get back to 1985 whether he saves Doc or not. Jen is already waiting there anyway and Doc's life takes a totally separate path that means he doesn't have a normal life at all after 1985. (Since he never returns to and stays in 1985)

So yeah, it's all based on succeeding at their plan. Success was guaranteed from the start, where if Marty decided not to go to 1885 he would have just returned to 1985 instead, got back with Jen and lived out their lives. But since he went to 1885, he did take that risk of ruining the future with Jen. Either A) he succeeds in saving Doc and returns, B) he fails at saving Doc (Mad Dog kills him, Marty escapes?) and is unable to get back to 1985 easily (If Doc didn't go back to the salloon they would have just left and Mad Dog wouldn't even have had a chance to try anyway, but by putting themselves back at risk...) since he wouldn't have a partner to put the logs in the furnace and would have had to do that himself, then climb out to the car himself. Fortunately he succeeded, but had he failed I'm sure the people, including Jen, in 1985 would have realized it shortly, however Marty himself wouldn't have of course.

Now, had Marty and Jen gone to 2015 and found no trace of themselves, you'd assume that something happened at some point. However in this case, Doc wouldn't have even come back to take them with him anyway, which would result in no problems having been allowed to occur anyway and so Marty and Jen would live out their lives as we see them in 2015. The only difference being that Marty and Jen would have no experience visiting themselves.

Regarding the "Why is there old Marty in 2015? Why did they bring Jennifer only to knock her out?" things, the simple answer is the filmmakers wrote themselves into a corner with what was supposed to be a jokey ending to the first movie, and chose to run with it.
True but also radically different to Biff, Old Biff, Griff and Alt '85 Biff.

Tom Wilson is one of the GOAT backbones of any movie series. Legit wouldn't work without him. So good.
Yeah. Plenty of people played multiple roles in those movies, but nobody to such varied extents as him. I'm surprised he's ended up with a career so much lower-key than the other stars of the series.
How cool would it be if they released a disc with all 3 movies on it running seamlessly, back to back as though it were just one long movie? I could dig that.
I did such an edit not long after I got access to a DVD burner, though it did have to be pretty low quality to fit a ~6 hour output on a single layer. I remember the connection points I used; the opening of the garage door for the first two movies, and 1955 Doc sitting up after the DeLorean disappeared for the last two.

1 > 2 > 3.

1 is great. A classic, great movie.
2 is fine, with some good moments.
3 really isn't a good movie. It's lazy and cheesy.

There isn't a debate, one is obviously the best one.

Nibiru

Banned
The first one hands down BUT the second one got a lot better on repeated viewings. Watching them back to back is fun.

nullref

I feel about the Back to the Future roughly the same as I do about Indiana Jones. The first is far and away the best, the real classic. The following two films are fun and good to varying degrees in their own right, but not really essential by comparison. (They tend toward being retreads of similar beats and ideas.)

I've seen all them enough times at this point that the first films are sufficient if I want to revisit either series.

Xe4

Banned
1 > 2 > 3.

I've never seen anyone say otherwise.
Yup, it's this. First was great. Second was ok with some good/great moments, third was mostly garbage with some ok moments (that ending fucking blew, I was mad for a week about that).

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I feel about the Back to the Future roughly the same as I do about Indiana Jones. The first is far and away the best, the real classic. The following two films are fun and good to varying degrees in their own right, but not really essential by comparison. I've seen all them enough times at this point that the first films are sufficient if I want to revisit either series.

And just as with Indy, number two is by far the worst in the series.

2 is the Temple of Doom of the series. Secretly kind of the best one but just a little behind the original.

This is my take. It plays with the original in really fun and interesting ways. Whereas the third is like an overcooked retread of the first, like Last Crusade.

Dali

I really couldn't stand 3 at first because of the setting, but it eventually grew on me. It's still my least favorite. 1 and 2 are a wash.

chaislip3

1=2 > 3

2 had the best line in the series tho

HsRGWlD.jpg

Mr_Moogle

Part One is probably the best film overall but Part 2 is more fun to watch.

Three is the obvious weakling. Mary Steenburgen killed that film for me.

I'm digging all the love Temple of Doom is getting here. I've always felt this film was unfailry maligned by fans.

For me, it's 2 > 1 >>> 3. I don't know why but I don't really enjoy the third one as much as the other ones. I might even like The Game more...
*hides in fear*

Enzom21

1>3>2 but they're all great films.
3 seems more of a complete film with far more character development for Marty and Doc.
Thomas Wilson was also far better as Mad dog Tannen than he was as Biff or Griff.
Plus, who doesn't love a good western?

Peltz

The first one is a perfect movie. The second one is an interesting vision of the future. And the third one is just fine.

The first one is the only one without any pacing issues. It flows really well.

The second one has the most interesting visuals and time travel concepts.

And the third one... well, the third one is a movie...

The first two are neck-and-neck for me. I don't know that I could be forced to choose a favorite even with a gun to my head. I would just randomly pick one to save my life.

I understand why people think the original is king, but there is magic in II that cannot be found in its predecessor. Elisabeth Sue, Marty literally revisiting scenes from a previous movie, visions of utopian and dystopian futures that have shaped my imagination for decades to come, etc.

1,3,2 in that order. Felt the character development/portrayal in 2 was weaker than the rest of the series. Although at the time, I enjoyed the future technology/effects in 2.

Rellik

2 and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Not really but Ive always preferred 2 with the future setting

Lothar

Banned
And just as with Indy, number two is by far the worst in the series.

I think you meant number three because that would make sense. For both, the third is trying to do something a little too similar to the first movie but not nearly a fraction as well, while the second had a dramatically different tone and was better off and more intriguing for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom