• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Thanksgiving side dish????

What is the best side dish when the day is done? What are you looking for at your get-together?

• Green Bean Casserole.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Mac & Cheese (of every design)

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Mashed Potatoes (gravy and all other sins included)

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Veggies (any Veggies and variation of them that you can think of here)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I am a literal hermit and refuse to partake in society. Fuck "Thanksgiving". I will eat dirt instead

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Stuffing (which I forgot because I am a moron)

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's that time of year again. Tell me your food based weaknesses.

acegif-happy-thanksgiving-1.gif

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
po GIF

Mashed potatoes.

I'll leave you with this: how can a dish be the best of it's class if you'd never eat it at any other time? When do you eat stuffing besides Thanksgiving? Never. Green bean casserole? I'd never even heard of it until I was a teenager. There is no excuse to ruin perfectly good marshmallows with yams or sweet potatoes, either. The only side on the Thanksgiving table that you eat any other time is cranberry sauce, which sometimes people have at Christmas.

None of that crap is worth eating (except the cranberries) for any reason other than "it's thanksgiving tradition." Mashed potatoes are a masterpiece of culinary simplicity and deliciousness. Even badly made mashed potatoes are good, and you can find mashed potatoes served all year long with just about any main dish you can imagine on three continents.

If you think the answer is anything other than mashed potatoes you are a fool and I grieve for your parents over their failure to breed a mentally capable adult.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have no idea how you Yanks can have a day where you eat everything in sight at Thanksgiving... and then have another day where you eat everything in sight a month later at Christmas. I need a fucking good long run up, and a health kick in the weeks leading up to, and after Christmas, just so my fat ass can cope with all that food. Doing it twice in a few weeks would kill me.

And the answer is stuffing - at Christmas in my case.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Will Biden be allowed to use a knife to cut his turkey or will secret service do that for him?

Is he allowed to hold any sharp objects to be fair?

Last edited:
Team Tater for sure, I could live off homemade mash.

My old man would put leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge overnight. In the morning, he'd cut them into strips, roll em in cornmeal, then pan fry em in bacon fat.
Worst thing in the world for you, but it sure did taste amazing.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Stuffing of those choices. But mine is cranberry relish.

I have the recipe for cranberry relish if you want it.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Will Biden be allowed to use a knife to cut his turkey or will secret service do that for him?

Is he allowed to hold any sharp objects to be fair?
That’s a great question. My Dad gave me that job 20 years ago when I started hosting the family.

I know the President is never allowed to be alone anymore and he needs to be with either family, friends, or Secret Service at all times. That policy was changed after George W Bush almost died alone while choking on a pretzel.

On topic: it’s definitely the stuffing!

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Wasn't planning on making it this year but ended up going to the grocery store in a snuggie this morning and buying the ingredients

TylerD

We don’t do mashed potatoes, we do twice baked potato cheesy casserole with Swiss, cheddar, butter, sour cream, bacon, salt, and black pepper. Skins mixed in of course.

Always the winner of the sides in my family.

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Sweet Potato Caserrol.

Oh and COQUITO!!!!

Puerto Rico Party Time GIF

GOAT Holiday drink. COME AT ME!

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
My family stuffing.
Won't share the details on that but here's another top contender.

Cranberry Sauce
2 c water
1 box orange jello
1/2 box strawberry jello
[I did this last time switched with more strawberry and I liked it more]
1 c sugar ( I use 1/2 c )
1 package fresh cranberry
1/2 c finely chopped celery
1/2 c chopped walnuts
Bring 2c. water and cranberry to boil until cranberry start to pop.
take off flame stir in jello until dissolve
Pour in to whatever
Put in to fridge to set

Oh and I don't think gravy is really a side, but the gravy my wife makes.

Last edited:
Mashed Potatoes. I make them with finely shredded Smoked Gouda, Montreal Steak Seasoning, Sour Cream and Butter. This year I’m also making a cranberry Chutney with Cranberries, Golden Raisins, Orange Zest, Orange Juice, Apples, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Cider Vinagar, and so on.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Veggies. I’m a big fan of shredded carrots, garlic, and mayonnaise mixed together. I stopped liking my potatoes mashed, so I prefer them chopped up.

I have come to the realization that America doesn’t eat a lot of beets, but I eat them regularly due to my extended Russian family. Growing up, they were the side to a salad or something my mother bought occasionally. I also enjoy shredded beets cooked the same way as the carrots.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I only ate in america (miami to be precise) for thanksgiving once and maybe because i was still a child (and usually child don't like to eat many things) but i hated everything they served, and we were guest of a rich ass family that had an house in the lake in the same place where stallone, madonna and other vips had their houses, so i know for a fact that the food was of absolute top tier quality.

They didin't served mac and cheese tho, probably the only thing i would have liked...

I take a juicy chicken from groceries over any dry stuffed big ass turkey
rotisserie-chicken-99664_1920-e1601623696129.jpg

Last edited:

Blade2.0

po GIF

Mashed potatoes.

I'll leave you with this: how can a dish be the best of it's class if you'd never eat it at any other time? When do you eat stuffing besides Thanksgiving? Never. Green bean casserole? I'd never even heard of it until I was a teenager. There is no excuse to ruin perfectly good marshmallows with yams or sweet potatoes, either. The only side on the Thanksgiving table that you eat any other time is cranberry sauce, which sometimes people have at Christmas.

None of that crap is worth eating (except the cranberries) for any reason other than "it's thanksgiving tradition." Mashed potatoes are a masterpiece of culinary simplicity and deliciousness. Even badly made mashed potatoes are good, and you can find mashed potatoes served all year long with just about any main dish you can imagine on three continents.

If you think the answer is anything other than mashed potatoes you are a fool and I grieve for your parents over their failure to breed a mentally capable adult.
Ramblings of a mad-man, huh? Seasonal delicacies don't make them less decadent or tasty. I don't eat pumpkin spice flavored things year round, either, but I fucking love it when it's available.

I also rarely get breakfast omelets, but they're still fucking good when I do.

Do you hate funnel cake and elephant ears too even though you can only get them at State Fairs?

With all this said, I agree with you on mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are great....they just aren't as good as stuffing.

Top Bottom